yupper

Deshaun Watson

Watson fell to me at the end of the 8th/beginning of the 9th round turn. He wasn't my draft target but with where I got him I was thinking that I was/am getting a steal, or at least value. Through 2 weeks Deshaun has looked pretty average. The loss of Hopkins has hurt and the weapons around him also look average. The Texans have faced some pretty tough teams the first few weeks with KC, Bal, and now this week Pitt. The Texans schedule opens up a little bit after this week. Are there better days ahead for Watson? Can he reach his top 5 potential this season or should I be looking to move him in a trade? Thanks!

A top 5 finish is certainly looking doubtful.

It only goes to show that even when you think you're getting good value on a QB, you still should have waited until the double-digit rounds.

Anyone who didn't see this coming, wasn't paying attention.  He lost one of the best WR's in the NFL this year and does not have a go to option now.  And his OL still stinks.  He was on my DND list. 

Personally, I always thought Watson was a bit overrated.  I think he's a perfectly fine/acceptable QB, but in the... I don't know, 10 to 12 range among QB's.  But people seem to put him in the top 5 to 7.  I don't see it.  I know the kid is athletic, but as a passer, I think he's "ok".  His mobility gives him a definite bump up, but once that goes, he'll be a middle of the road QB.

Had him as DND due to Oline, Hopkins and I wasn’t a fan of Cooks either. Cooks looked done last year and seems ready to retire due to concussion fears 

He was going way too early in drafts, both Watson and Cooks

2 hours ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Anyone who didn't see this coming, wasn't paying attention.  He lost one of the best WR's in the NFL this year and does not have a go to option now.  And his OL still stinks.  He was on my DND list. 

To me another warning sign was the D Johnson addition.   The team by virtue of coach/GM is going to try and justify that decision.  I expect to see a more run oriented attack when possible.

6 hours ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Agreed. I wouldn’t have him on a dnd list, but I wouldn’t draft at what was his adp.  

I've always thought Watson was pretty standard QB1, but not a top notch.

Sure, on his best days he puts up pretty big numbers but he has to have a lot of help around him for that.

He's never been someone I have thought was worth reaching for.

Still, it's just two games, I'm sure he'll have some big moments to come this season barring injury.

If he's your starter, it's probably gonna be tough to do much better at this point. Just have to stick with him and hope for the best.

Having Hopkins and Fuller allowed running lanes to open for him. Each required a DB and at least 1 safety to cover them. Whomever the safety covers, throw to the other. Now, it's just Fuller, cover him with a db safety over the top. Another db on an aging Cobb, and everyone else stop DJ and the qb scramble. Imo, O'Brien (sp) is an idiot, Hopkins for DJ was all Ari win.

6 hours ago, jackjohn said:

Having Hopkins and Fuller allowed running lanes to open for him. Each required a DB and at least 1 safety to cover them. Whomever the safety covers, throw to the other. Now, it's just Fuller, cover him with a db safety over the top. Another db on an aging Cobb, and everyone else stop DJ and the qb scramble. Imo, O'Brien (sp) is an idiot, Hopkins for DJ was all Ari win.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, eagles115 said:

i traded Watson for Engram. i cant stand Watson and O'brien

So you traded a top 15 Qb , for a top 27 Te? Now you do know that Engram can’t stay healthy right? 

Mmmm.  

I saw a post last night that said that the Texans have the most interest in Antonio Brown, but that it's not imminent. It was just click bait, but what the hell, he's probably worth a look. They might as well also kick the tires on Dez Bryant. Ha!

On 9/23/2020 at 9:12 PM, weepaws said:

So you traded a top 15 Qb , for a top 27 Te? Now you do know that Engram can’t stay healthy right? 

Mmmm.  

i have burrow no need for that bum watson

12 minutes ago, eagles115 said:

Sure, Watson is a bum. :rolleyes:

Let's track this moving forward.

1 hour ago, eagles115 said:

Now you know, that Watson just finished week three as the 15th highest scoring Qb. 

And Engram was the 28th highest scoring Te.  

You do know that , right? 

On 9/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Personally, I always thought Watson was a bit overrated.  I think he's a perfectly fine/acceptable QB, but in the... I don't know, 10 to 12 range among QB's.  But people seem to put him in the top 5 to 7.  I don't see it.  I know the kid is athletic, but as a passer, I think he's "ok".  His mobility gives him a definite bump up, but once that goes, he'll be a middle of the road QB.

He’s severely over rated, especially as NFL quarterback. Maybe tier 3. The Texans are so screwed with his huge salary and extremely mediocre performance. Tough schedule? Too damned bad, great QBs can play against the top teams.  It’s clear that Watson is lame. Just like Lamar Jackson....(he’s my other overrated QB) Watson will have some big games against garbage teams but overall he’s a $160 million dollar farce. 

I have Watson and Minshew but thinking of dropping one of them for either Goff or Fitz? You guys think Watson will get better?

Great talent, good QB, doesn’t have the weapons this season. Look what Hop is doing for Kyler, cards are 3-0 if he doesn’t give the game away on those ints.

1 hour ago, Tuxedosam said:

I have Watson and Minshew but thinking of dropping one of them for either Goff or Fitz? You guys think Watson will get better?

I would rather have Goff over either one of them. 

1 hour ago, Tuxedosam said:

I have Goff and someone dropped Watson and I'm trying to decide if Watson is worth spending my high waiver priority. I drafted Goff for the same reasons I drafted WInston last year, two great and highly drafted WR's and a good and highly drafted TE. Playing under McVay is an added bonus. WIth Watson, he's lost his top WR (who is the #1 WR in fantasy at the moment for his new team) and has a struggling oline. At the same time, he's just finished up with a pretty tough opening schedule. If Watson was running more it would be an easy call but right now it's tough. 

Yikes. I screwed up w/ him.  I instinctively snatched him at the 7.5 position in my big money 10 team.  (After Wilson, but I passed on Kyler 🤦‍♂️).   Yup. I should have seen it coming -No doubt.   No doubt Hopkins was their entire offense.  In a 10 team .5 ppr,  Watson as my #1 has been a huge liability.  Hopefully he can turn it around with a good schedule ahead.  
dammit.  That was a fockup 

Watson and L Jackson are both avg 22 points per game.