Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Drew Brees is it over?

Brees is killing me and he looks old and can't make the deep throw. Is it time to go with one of my rookies: Burrows or Herbert

Brees hasn't been the same fantasy QB for a couple of seasons now.

I would play match ups

None of those guys have particularly attractive matchups this week, and obviously the absence of Thomas hurts Brees too.

Nothing on the wire?  Trubisky against Atlanta maybe?

5 hours ago, gitrdun said:

Brees is killing me and he looks old and can't make the deep throw. Is it time to go with one of my rookies: Burrows or Herbert

Who’s available f/a list? 

They all look old.

Brady, Brees, Rivers, Fitzmagic.... Cousins (He's 32 but plays like he's 42...)

Time for the Old guard to move on to the broadcast booths....

Only one playing well is Roethlisberger but he took last year off and now has a bionic arm...

17 minutes ago, gitrdun said:

Burrows matchup is not bad with the eagles. 

Who else is available, I think I would go with the other rookie at home. 

But who else is available? 

It's not over, but he is looking old.  At some point getting thomas back will help.

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

It's not over, but he is looking old.  At some point getting thomas back will help.

I'm just hoping it's OVER Sunday night!

• Haha 1

Is there any sense in holding Brees since I have Josh Allen (other than for bye week replacement)?  It does looks like Brees has a softer end of season schedule compared to Allen though.

2 hours ago, JOHN 316 said:

Is there any sense in holding Brees since I have Josh Allen (other than for bye week replacement)?  It does looks like Brees has a softer end of season schedule compared to Allen though.

In a normal-sized league that starts 1 QB, probly not.  There are usually lots of QBs on the wire than can help you out in a pinch, so rostering a 2nd QB in most leagues is just robbing you of a roster slot where you could be stashing next week's top waiver wire darling.

3 hours ago, JOHN 316 said:

Don’t see why you would hold two qbs.  

5 hours ago, JOHN 316 said:

I wouldn't hold onto Brees with Josh Allen.

It's not really like you're gonna be streaming QBs.

If Allen gets injured, I'm guessing you're at least gonna look at the WW for a replacement even if you were to keep Brees.

20 hours ago, weepaws said:

Don’t see why you would hold two qbs.  

I'm in a 12 man league which requires we carry 2(start 1). Some of the guys even use their flex spot to carry a 3rd so our WW is weak.

Just speaking for us but we love the set-up as it makes our draft that much more important.

1 hour ago, nzoner said:

I'm in a 12 man league which requires we carry 2(start 1). Some of the guys even use their flex spot to carry a 3rd so our WW is weak.

Just speaking for us but we love the set-up as it makes our draft that much more important.

Superflex ? 

Most leagues not have that as a law. 

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

Superflex ? 

Most leagues not have that as a law. 

No start one,we also have requirements/limits on the other positions as well which leaves our WW very limited.It's worked for us for 20+ years now,we like the set-up.

I wouldnt go dumping Brees yet. 

It is easy for an offense to look poor when a major piece is out with injury.

in the past, that wouldnt affect Brees, so I'd say hes declined to the point where he cannot put up 300 yard games regularly with nobody's at WR like he once did.

but he is still a very good QB.   Sadly without his #1 WR.  

I think he will be fine eventually, but there will be some adjustments in the interim.   In standard leagues where you only start one QB, hes probably a matchup based play until Thomas returns.

His last pass was an interception to complete a loss.  Couldn't happen to a better team.  Over rated player.  Over rated coach.  Over rated team.  In the last 20 years, Brad Johnson won as many NFC Championship games and Super Bowls as Drew Brees.  Both won it the same way too... solely because of the defense.  They truly were the epitome of "Pretenders".

40 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

His last pass was an interception to complete a loss.  Couldn't happen to a better team.  Over rated player.  Over rated coach.  Over rated team.  In the last 20 years, Brad Johnson won as many NFC Championship games and Super Bowls as Drew Brees.  Both won it the same way too... solely because of the defense.  They truly were the epitome of "Pretenders".

Yup, Brees retires with the most career passing yards, second most career passing Td's, and most career completions, while passing at a 67.7% clip. he will be a first ballot no doubt Hall of Famer. If that's 'overrated' sign me up every time...

18 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Yup, Brees retires with the most career passing yards, second most career passing Td's, and most career completions, while passing at a 67.7% clip. he will be a first ballot no doubt Hall of Famer. If that's 'overrated' sign me up every time...

5-1 playoff record... 1 conf champ... 1 SB

9-9 playoff record... 1 conf champ... 1 SB

Which is Trent Dilfer and which is Drew Brees?  It's easy to put up counting stats when your defense always stinks and you're playing from behind.  He lead the league in passing yards 7 times... he failed to have a winning record in 5 of them.  He threw over 30 TD's in 10 seasons... failed to have a winning record in 5 of them.

In just the last 2 years, the backups had an 8-1 record while Brees was 17-6.  He wasn't even as good as Bridgewater and Taysom Hill.

It took Tom Brady 1 year in the NFC to equal what Brees accomplished in 15... 1 NFC Champ and 1 SB.

27 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

5-1 playoff record... 1 conf champ... 1 SB

9-9 playoff record... 1 conf champ... 1 SB

Which is Trent Dilfer and which is Drew Brees?  It's easy to put up counting stats when your defense always stinks and you're playing from behind.  He lead the league in passing yards 7 times... he failed to have a winning record in 5 of them.  He threw over 30 TD's in 10 seasons... failed to have a winning record in 5 of them.

In just the last 2 years, the backups had an 8-1 record while Brees was 17-6.  He wasn't even as good as Bridgewater and Taysom Hill.

It took Tom Brady 1 year in the NFC to equal what Brees accomplished in 15... 1 NFC Champ and 1 SB.

If its easy to put up counting stats why isn't every QB the career leader in passing yards and passing completions, 2nd in Td's with a 67.7% comp when they retire? Where do Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer measure up in those easy counting stats? Those comparisons are lazy, dumb and petty. I get there is much jealousy, but that doesn't really justify such silly nonsense...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jrokh said:

If its easy to put up counting stats why isn't every QB the career leader in passing yards and passing completions, 2nd in Td's with a 67.7% comp when they retire? Where do Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer measure up in those easy counting stats? Those comparisons are lazy, dumb and petty. I get there is much jealousy, but that doesn't really justify such silly nonsense...

He was a "good" QB what was surrounded by a lot of talent and a great offensive mind.  But he wasn't clutch or a leader.  He was a guy that just put up stats and nothing else.  Good for him.  As a Tampa fan, in the last 15 years, we have as many Super Bowls as he does.  Boy, he's great!!!

An average 16-game season...

Matt Ryan (13 seasons): 4353 / 27 / 12

Drew Brees (19 seasons): 4483 / 32 / 14

The only difference... Brees won the Super Bowl he went to.

Meh.

44 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He was a "good" QB what was surrounded by a lot of talent and a great offensive mind.  But he wasn't clutch or a leader.  He was a guy that just put up stats and nothing else.  Good for him.  As a Tampa fan, in the last 15 years, we have as many Super Bowls as he does.  Boy, he's great!!!

Meh.

A 20-10 career record against Tampa. No wonder you are so bitter. I guess after taking it up the arse 20 times from Drew, I can understand the petty jealousy. First ballot Hofer, top 10 QB of all time. As I said if that is overrated sign me up!

If Brees was with Belichick and the Patriots over the past 15 years, how many rings does he have today?

Maybe even.in Pittsburgh.

4 hours ago, jrokh said:

A 20-10 career record against Tampa. No wonder you are so bitter. I guess after taking it up the arse 20 times from Drew, I can understand the petty jealousy. First ballot Hofer, top 10 QB of all time. As I said if that is overrated sign me up!

Meh, 20-10 is meaningless.  He has 1 ring.  In his time in New Orleans, Tampa has 1 ring too.  No biggie.  He's just overrated, that's all.  In today's version of the NFL, offense is king.  He couldn't even get his team TO a Super Bowl in the last decade, let alone win one.  Please.  Cam Newton did it.  Matt Ryan did it.  Colin Kaepernick did it.  Eli Manning did it. Carson Wentz/Nick Foles did it.  Jared Goff did it.  Jimmy  Garoppolo did it.  No one is calling any of them one of the all-time greats.  You know who didn't do it?  Josh Freeman, Jameis Winston, and Drew Brees.  :dunno:

If you're QB was Drew Brees, over the last 10 years you went into the season thinking that your team was a Super Bowl contender.  Yet, you left the season as nothing more than a pretender. 

36 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

If Brees was with Belichick and the Patriots over the past 15 years, how many rings does he have today?

Maybe even.in Pittsburgh.

Well, he's not as good as Roethlisberger, so he wouldn't have gotten his team to 3 Super Bowls... so my guess is his career probably wouldn't have lasted as long and at best, the results (1 SB), would be the same.

I don't think he'd have anywhere near the stats he did have, had he been in NE.  I don't think he'd have gone to 9 Super Bowls.  Maybe 3.  Win 2.

It's kind of like when that hack Dan Marino was voted into the HOF on the first ballot.  All the voters could see were his 40 career and single-season records, but those idiots overlooked the fact that despite playing for 17 seasons, he only took the Dolphins to a single SuperBowl--and didn't even win it.

That's the sole measure of a great QB, isn't it?

It's hard to imagine that this ignorance even extends to the NFL, which in 2019 named Marino one of the top 10 QBs of all time on the NFL 100 All-Time Team!  With ZERO SuperBowl wins???

Puh-leeze...  He's Dilfer, but without a ring.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It's kind of like when that hack Dan Marino was voted into the HOF on the first ballot.  All the voters could see were his 40 career and single-season records, but those idiots overlooked the fact that despite playing for 17 seasons, he only took the Dolphins to a single SuperBowl--and didn't even win it.

That's the sole measure of a great QB, isn't it?

It's hard to imagine that this ignorance even extends to the NFL, which in 2019 named Marino one of the top 10 QBs of all time on the NFL 100 All-Time Team!  With ZERO SuperBowl wins???

Puh-leeze...  He's Dilfer, but without a ring.

not even close. Or maybe you are being sarcastic. I don't know...

11 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Meh.

Is there really anything you're saying about Brees that you couldn't also say about Aaron Rodgers?

Brees will be happy to take his place in the HOF. 

9 hours ago, polecatt said:

Is there really anything you're saying about Brees that you couldn't also say about Aaron Rodgers?

Interesting, isn't it?

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Interesting, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, both are excellent QBs but neither should be considered in the GOAT conversation or anything like that.

At least not now, Rodgers I guess, technically, could still win another ring or two and improve his stock a great deal, but I don't see it happening.

Just now, polecatt said:

Don't get me wrong, both are excellent QBs but neither should be considered in the GOAT conversation or anything like that.

At least not now, Rodgers I guess, technically, could still win another ring or two and improve his stock a great deal, but I don't see it happening.

He definitely could.  I just think the QB's for the most part get entirely too much credit and praise.

9 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He definitely could.  I just think the QB's for the most part get entirely too much credit and praise.

Yeah, they do, but I think they're more important now than ever

15 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Yeah, they do, but I think they're more important now than ever

I think it's less so more than ever.  Because of the pay that they're getting, they're less important.  Build the team around them and save money.  It's not a coincidence that Brady keeps getting to the Super Bowl and takes team friendly contracts.  It's not a coincidence that Wents/Foles, Goff, Mahomes, Flacco, Wilson, & Garoppolo, got to the Super Bowl in the last half dozen years while on rookie or low end contacts.  In the last 10 years, Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning are the only QB who "got paid" and went to a Super Bowl.  That's it.  The recipe for success is a cheap QB.  If you pay the man, you're a pretender and not a contender any more... well, until the rest of the league catches up to or passes you.  KC does have a shot because Mahomes' contract is a team friendly deal that can be manageable, but I don't see Green Bay winning with Rodgers while he's making all that money.  It's the same reason why the Saints never won after Brees got all that money.  A pretty solid QB is all you need.  Just don't pay him like he's great... because those "great" ones don't win.

Brees had himself a great career.   I wouldnt call him The GOAT because he didnt have the post season success of a Brady, but his stats are by far and away better than any QB in the history of the nfl.

the NFL has had a QB throw for over 5000 yards in a season 11 times.  Brees has done it 5 of those times.   one he narrowly missed because he sat out the last game of the season.

Even if he didnt win a superbowl, I dont see how he doesnt make it into the hall of fame.   but he did win one, and was MVP.  

since 2010 he either threw for 5000 yards or led the league in passing 6 times. 

in his career he has been in 13 pro bowls.  

pretty outstanding no matter how you slice it.   and if there is any prospect out there you know who can do what hes done, I'd pay almost any price to acquire the #1 pick.