Sign in to follow this  
gitrdun

Drew Brees is it over?

He’s going to easily make it into the HOF. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Brees had himself a great career.   I wouldnt call him The GOAT because he didnt have the post season success of a Brady, but his stats are by far and away better than any QB in the history of the nfl.

the NFL has had a QB throw for over 5000 yards in a season 11 times.  Brees has done it 5 of those times.   one he narrowly missed because he sat out the last game of the season.

Even if he didnt win a superbowl, I dont see how he doesnt make it into the hall of fame.   but he did win one, and was MVP.  

since 2010 he either threw for 5000 yards or led the league in passing 6 times. 

in his career he has been in 13 pro bowls.  

pretty outstanding no matter how you slice it.   and if there is any prospect out there you know who can do what hes done, I'd pay almost any price to acquire the #1 pick.

Oh he's easily a first ballot HOFer and rightfully so.

It's impossible to say a prospect is going to be better than Drew Brees, but I wouldn't hesitate to take Mahomes over him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think it's less so more than ever.  Because of the pay that they're getting, they're less important.  Build the team around them and save money.  It's not a coincidence that Brady keeps getting to the Super Bowl and takes team friendly contracts.  It's not a coincidence that Wents/Foles, Goff, Mahomes, Flacco, Wilson, & Garoppolo, got to the Super Bowl in the last half dozen years while on rookie or low end contacts.  In the last 10 years, Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning are the only QB who "got paid" and went to a Super Bowl.  That's it.  The recipe for success is a cheap QB.  If you pay the man, you're a pretender and not a contender any more... well, until the rest of the league catches up to or passes you.  KC does have a shot because Mahomes' contract is a team friendly deal that can be manageable, but I don't see Green Bay winning with Rodgers while he's making all that money.  It's the same reason why the Saints never won after Brees got all that money.  A pretty solid QB is all you need.  Just don't pay him like he's great... because those "great" ones don't win.

Well sure, if you can get a QB of Brady's caliber to play for peanuts it's always going to help. Same goes for elite QBs coming in on rookie contracts.

Still, it's the elite QBs that have won.

Rodgers and Brees both lost out because they both had a tendency to choke and their teams did a poor job of building around them.

18 hours ago, polecatt said:

Well sure, if you can get a QB of Brady's caliber to play for peanuts it's always going to help. Same goes for elite QBs coming in on rookie contracts.

Rodgers and Brees both lost out because they both had a tendency to choke and their teams did a poor job of building around them.

yeah, those teams have historically had average to poor defenses.

last year or so has been better for both, but Brees was already on the downside of his career by that time.

Its not too late for Rodgers.... we shall see.  the Green Bay defense is as good as I've seen it for a while so I have to think he has a chance in the next year or two provided he remains healthy and can play as well as he did last year.

18 hours ago, polecatt said:

...when they were cheap.  Being elite is worthless if they're taking up a huge chunk of cap space and not winning a championship because the rest of the team isn't good enough.  Mind you, I'm not blaming the players, I'm blaming the GM's for writing the checks.  The recipe to winning a championship is simple... get a decent QB, pay him a reasonable number, and build a great team around him.  No where in there is "an elite QB is necessary".  Nor is "overpay your QB".

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

...when they were cheap.  Being elite is worthless if they're taking up a huge chunk of cap space and not winning a championship because the rest of the team isn't good enough.  Mind you, I'm not blaming the players, I'm blaming the GM's for writing the checks.  The recipe to winning a championship is simple... get a decent QB, pay him a reasonable number, and build a great team around him.  No where in there is "an elite QB is necessary".  Nor is "overpay your QB".

That's not even worked in a while.

It's the elite QBs on the rookie or team friendly contracts that win the big majority of the time.

You can find an exception here or there, but that's how it's been for a while now.

The big money will begin to win some just out of chance. That's the way the NFL is headed

16 hours ago, polecatt said:

That's not even worked in a while.

It's the elite QBs on the rookie or team friendly contracts that win the big majority of the time.

You can find an exception here or there, but that's how it's been for a while now.

The big money will begin to win some just out of chance. That's the way the NFL is headed

What do you mean that hasn't worked in a while?  It's been happening the last what, 10 years?  Working backwards, Brady won making $25M this past season.  Mahomes, the year before was on a rookie contract... $6M I believe.  Brady the year before (team friendly contract), Wentz/Foles (rookie contract/backup), before that.  Brady again.  Peyton (the exception), Brady, Wilson (rookie contract), Flacco (rookie contract), Eli (made $10M that year), Rodgers (made $6M that year [21st in the league that year]).  How much further do you want to go back?  Brees the prior year?  He was the 14th highest paid QB that year.  Roethlisber was 11th the year before that.

It's very simple.  If you pay your QB top tier money, you WILL NOT win a Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's very simple.  If you pay your QB top tier money, you WILL NOT win a Super Bowl.

Unless of course you're the Chiefs, and the QB in question is Mahomes.

19 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Unless of course you're the Chiefs, and the QB in question is Mahomes.

Got proof of that?

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You must have misunderstood me.

No, I understood you, I just know that you're wrong.  In the last two Super Bowl's, Mahomes was under his rookie contract.  The money for his new deal doesn't start until the upcoming season.  That said, they already renegotiated his deal to lower his cap number.  At some point, they will have to pay the piper.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, I understood you, I just know that you're wrong.  In the last two Super Bowl's, Mahomes was under his rookie contract.

Sort of.  He signed a contract extension on 7/7/20 that included a $10M signing bonus, so Mahomes made over $10.8M in 2020, as opposed to the almost $1.7M that he earned in the first three years of his rookie contract combined (not counting his rookie signing bonus).  But yeah, he'll start making over $20M per year starting in 2021.

So if you don't accept the most recent Super Bowl as proof, maybe you will accept one of the next three.

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Sort of.  He signed a contract extension on 7/7/20 that included a $10M signing bonus, so Mahomes made over $10.8M in 2020, as opposed to the almost $1.7M that he earned in the first three years of his rookie contract combined (not counting his rookie signing bonus).  But yeah, he'll start making over $20M per year starting in 2021.

So if you don't accept the most recent Super Bowl as proof, maybe you will accept one of the next three.

LOL, he made a whopping $10.8M???  OH MY SOUL!!!  He's loaded!  His cap number last year was lower than Tua's.  He made less than half of Brady.  I think that proves my point, no?  After renegotiating his deal, Mahomes' cap number is just over $7M next year.

5 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think that proves my point, no?

On the contrary; it would be evidence to support the fact that Mahomes is an exception to your "rule."

18 hours ago, AxeElf said:

On the contrary; it would be evidence to support the fact that Mahomes is an exception to your "rule."

Don't see how.  He's not making a lot of money... which is my point.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:23 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL, he made a whopping $10.8M???  OH MY SOUL!!!  He's loaded!  His cap number last year was lower than Tua's.  He made less than half of Brady.  I think that proves my point, no?  After renegotiating his deal, Mahomes' cap number is just over $7M next year.

Could this mean that Mahomes is going the Brady route of being contract friendly to help the team and himself win tons of championships? 

18 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Could this mean that Mahomes is going the Brady route of being contract friendly to help the team and himself win tons of championships? 

Possibly, but my guess is that every year he'll be restructuring.  At some point though, they'll have to pay the piper, but they can push that off for a while.  Basically, they'll do what the Saints did with Brees.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Possibly, but my guess is that every year he'll be restructuring.  At some point though, they'll have to pay the piper, but they can push that off for a while.  Basically, they'll do what the Saints did with Brees.

Yeah. The thing for Mahomes is he knows he has the weapons and the coach right now to win. There are not many teams that could boast about having skill players like Kelce and Hill and a solid backfield along with a pretty good o-line. 

Brady has proven he could win with less but he also had at times a great team around him. Some time in the future Mahomes will have to go through that and be tested in that way. But not now.