Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Never bench your studs

I'm considering starting Gardner Minshew tonight against the Fins in lieu of Mahomes on MNF against the Ravens :dunno:

2 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I'm considering starting Gardner Minshew tonight against the Fins in lieu of Mahomes on MNF against the Ravens :dunno:

I have Mahomes, J. Allen, Goff, & Carr in a 2 QB league.  I'm starting Mahomes and Allen.  Ravens don't scare me.  In Mahomes' 2 games vs Baltimore he threw for over 370 yards and 2 TD's in each game.

Sure, those 2 games were in KC and this one is in Baltimore, but I don't really envision there being a home field advantage with no fans being there.  Weather might be an issue with rain, but temperature-wise, it should be fine. 

The Jags are currently tied with the Chiefs and Rams in points scored so far on the season and Minshew has a 75% completion percentage and 9.2% touchdown rate. It sounds crazy on the surface but when you take that into account and you look at the opponents each qb faces playing Minshew could well be the play. 

Only slightly less known is the golden maxim, "Never draft a stud QB."

If you'd gotten a RB1 or WR1 instead of Mahomes, and then just gone with Minshew later, you'd have a much better team, and you wouldn't have this dilemma of benching your 2nd round pick for bad matchups.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

If you'd gotten a RB1 or WR1 instead of Mahomes, and then just gone with Minshew later, you'd have a much better team, and you wouldn't have this dilemma of benching your 2nd round pick for bad matchups.

Very true, unless of course it was Saquon and Micheal Thomas...

8 minutes ago, rallo said:

Very true, unless of course it was Saquon and Micheal Thomas...

No one can predict injuries, not even Axe Elf--but I doubt if you would have gotten Barkley or even Thomas in the 2nd round.

Bench Mahomes?

Are you serious?

For the Jaguars QB?

Who will be missing his top WR?

I just don't see it...

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

It really depends on the league's scoring system

Just now, polecatt said:

It really depends on the league's scoring system

Well yeah, if you get 200 pts per passing TD, and have the capacity to start 3 QBs, I would start looking at them earlier than the double digit rounds, but we're talking about the average draft here.

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

Bench Mahomes?

Are you serious?

For the Jaguars QB?

Who will be missing his top WR?

I just don't see it...

Have you seen his other 2 WR's???

Not to mention how many points they are averaging a week......and a legitimate RB to keep Defences honest. 

Not a huge stretch, ballsy but not crazy. 

4 minutes ago, Nomad99 said:

Have you seen his other 2 WR's???

Not to mention how many points they are averaging a week......and a legitimate RB to keep Defences honest. 

Not a huge stretch, ballsy but not crazy. 

Over Mahomes?

Yeah it's crazy.

Minshew may be the real deal and the Jags may not be a putrid on offense as we thought before, but we're talking the Chiefs and the best QB in the NFL.

32 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Over Mahomes?

Yeah it's crazy.

Minshew may be the real deal and the Jags may not be a putrid on offense as we thought before, but we're talking the Chiefs and the best QB in the NFL.

He has 1 fewer passing yards this season & 1 more passing TD & he's playing Miami. Ballsy not crazy. 

3 minutes ago, Nomad99 said:

He has 1 fewer passing yards this season & 1 more passing TD & he's playing Miami....

...on a Thursday night.

My opponent this week has put Mahomes on his bench and activated Wentz.

4 minutes ago, Ironmen said:

My opponent this week has put Mahomes on his bench and activated Wentz.

lol

He's probly just trolling you.  Mahomes will be back in at 11:59 am Sunday morning.

Mahomes is one of the only matchup proof QB's out there.

Start him unless he looks like hes injured to a point where he may not play

31 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Glad I listened

LOL

In 12 years, I have never heard anyone on this bored admit otherwise......unless, of course, their dark horse came through for them.

Hopefully, you did retain your fantasy senses and didn't bench Mahomie....esp as a Chiefs fan. If not, it would make for a particularly miserable 4-day wait.

13 hours ago, Nomad99 said:

He has 1 fewer passing yards this season & 1 more passing TD & he's playing Miami. Ballsy not crazy. 

And how did that work out this week? 🤣

Don't defeat yourself by overthinking to where you start a waiver wire guy over a guy who is generational talent and considered an all time great after two seasons

I don't know, Mahomes still hasn't played so, maybe he gets knocked out of the game or the go very run heavy, but odds are he's got more points than Minshew by the end of the 1st quarter.

Just now, polecatt said:

And how did that work out this week? 🤣

Don't defeat yourself by overthinking to where you start a waiver wire guy over a guy who is generational talent and considered an all time great after two seasons

I don't know, Mahomes still hasn't played so, maybe he gets knocked out of the game or the go very run heavy, but odds are he's got more points than Minshew by the end of the 1st quarter.

Wasn't my team....and by the looks of it, if he did go that route....it certainly won't work out. But by all prognostication Minshew should have had a much better night and I can still understand his reasoning for at least contemplating the idea. 

Side note:

Robinson is going to be solid all year.

Without Chark in the lineup, Coles won't prosper.

Minshew hasn't fully turned the corner yet...but if he does...

I could get past their defense. 

I benched Wentz for Minshew. Ouch.  I went back and forth but Wentz has looked awful and Minshew pretty good.  I'd make the same decision again. Sometimes it just doesnt work out.  I would not bench Mahomes, Lamar, Ryan, Dak for Minshew, though.

8 minutes ago, Nomad99 said:

Wasn't my team....and by the looks of it, if he did go that route....it certainly won't work out. But by all prognostication Minshew should have had a much better night and I can still understand his reasoning for at least contemplating the idea. 

Side note:

Robinson is going to be solid all year.

Without Chark in the lineup, Coles won't prosper.

Minshew hasn't fully turned the corner yet...but if he does...

I could get past their defense. 

I understand the reasoning, I just think it's highly flawed.

It's looking at the past two weeks and ignoring the past two years. Which I kind of get, we're always looking for the next break out star and all that. That's more of a RB or WR thing though. QBs are pretty consistent, especially the ones like Mahomes.

I agree Robinson looks like the real deal.

I think Minshew has a solid future too.

Outside of Chark, I wouldn't want to have to rely on any of their WRs beyond a spot start.

6 minutes ago, gardenstatepkwy said:

I benched Wentz for Minshew. Ouch.  I went back and forth but Wentz has looked awful and Minshew pretty good.  I'd make the same decision again. Sometimes it just doesnt work out.  I would not bench Mahomes, Lamar, Ryan, Dak for Minshew, though.

That's a lot more understandable, because Wentz and the rest of the team, has played like garbage so far.

I wouldn't want to rely on anybody from the Eagles outside of Miles Sanders

The Minshew hype actually helped me quite a bit this week. Played against him in two leagues, where the owners deployed him over Rogers and Ryan. One of them had Cole going with him also. 

Will be deploying Lamar Jackson on Monday night....hopefully for the coup de grace.

3 hours ago, stonewall said:

Will be deploying Lamar Jackson on Monday night....hopefully for the coup de grace.

Last year against the Chiefs, Lamar Jackson ran 8 times (T-3rd lowest attempts on the season) for 46 yards (3rd-fewest on the season) and threw for 267 yards and 0 TDs (one of three games on the season with 0 TDs).

It ain't over yet...

8 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Last year against the Chiefs, Lamar Jackson ran 8 times (T-3rd lowest attempts on the season) for 46 yards (3rd-fewest on the season) and threw for 267 yards and 0 TDs (one of three games on the season with 0 TDs).

It ain't over yet...

Indeed.

Been at this too long to count my chicks before they hatch.

Just now, stonewall said:

Indeed.

Been at this too long to count my chicks before they hatch.

Yeah, before that, it's really just counting eggs.

26 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Dumb thread

Dumb thread, but as finely executed as any example of a double-reverse psychology back-jinx that you will ever see.

And they say it's not a game of skill.

Getting cute sometimes pays off, but there’s such a thing as too cute. A guy in my league benched Josh Allen for Cam and still won his game at least. Also beware of trend hopping. Like such and such team allowed big games to the te so my bum te is going off, better bench the stud in a tough matchup. Coaches adapt, gameplan, fix problems and plug leaks week to week. Trends are trends til they ain’t anymore. I can’t count the times I’ve been the exception to the rule no matter how many games or seasons it’s held true.

5 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Getting cute sometimes pays off, but there’s such a thing as too cute. A guy in my league benched Josh Allen for Cam and still won his game at least.

You should have been a good Samaritan and directed him to the advice of Axe Elf:

Next time he might not be so fortunate.

11 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You should have been a good Samaritan and directed him to the advice of Axe Elf:

I would never allow my league mates an advantage that big.

after 3 weeks and a 0-3 start I have come to the conclusion that I have no studs on my team. Thee for everyone is benchable this season