Sign in to follow this  
2021 - Just thinking out loud...

I told torn that I probably won't be back next year so I didn't want to leave the team in a bad situation (when I was making roster moves), but I started thinking...

I know that some have been talking about/wanting to go to roto and in the past some of us (including me) was against it...  Now I am kind of thinking about it...

However, I was wanting to get to a point where we can have no pickup restrictions at 70 per year, so if we wanted to make 200, we could...  Initially the restriction came because of streaming, but if we can come up with a 4x4 or 5x5 league of stats that can try to balance out everything where streaming would be a crapshoot, then I would really consider wanting to switch to roto...

There is a maximum innings pitched limit and games played limit per position, I don't think that there is a minimum for the season, but categories would have to be used that can be exploited...  For example, let's say we did 4x4 and the pitching categories were Saves+Holds, ERA, WHIP, K/9...  Someone has one relief pitcher going the first day and they strikeout the side in one inning of work...  They could never pitch again and win ERA/WHIP with 0.00 and K/9 with 27.0...  That would give them 37 pitching points (First in three categories and last in Saves+Holds) out of 48, that is pretty damn good...  Then they could take their top pitchers and trade them for top hitters and just care about batting...  Though a good idea, I think this would make it not fun at all...  I also don't want to use the normal defaults of R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG and W, Sv, K, ERA, WHIP as that would open up to streaming, though the maximum innings limit would help...

Anyway, here are the categories at Yahoo:

HITTERS
Abbreviation
Description Calculation (Composite stats for both individual players and fantasy teams)
1B Singles  
2B Doubles  
3B Triples  
A Assists  
AB At Bats  
AVG Batting Average Hits / At Bats
BB Walks  
CI Catcher Interference  
CS Caught Stealing  
CYC Hitting for the Cycle  
DPT Double Plays Turned  
E Errors  
FPCT Fielding Percentage (Putouts + Assists) / (Putouts + Assists + Errors)
GIDP Ground Into Double Play  
GP Games Played  
H Hits  
HBP Hit By Pitch  
HR Home Runs  
OBP On-base Percentage (Hits + Walks + Hit By Pitch) / (At Bats + Walks + Hit By Pitch + Sacrifice Flys)
OFA Outfield Assists  
OPS On-base + Slugging Percentage On-Base Percentage + Slugging Percentage
PA Plate Appearances  
PO Putouts  
R Runs Scored  
RBI Runs Batted In  
SB% Stolen Base Percentage Stolen Bases / (Stolen Bases + Caught Stealing)
SB Stolen Bases  
SF Sacrifice Flys  
SH Sacrifice Hits  
SLAM Grand Slam Home Runs  
SLG Slugging Percentage Total Bases / At Bats
TB Total Bases  
XBH Extra Base Hits  

PITCHERS
Abbreviation
Description Calculation (Composite stats for both individual players and fantasy teams)
1BA Singles Allowed  
2BA Doubles Allowed  
3BA Triples Allowed  
APP Appearances  
BB/9 Walks Per Nine Innings (Walks * 27) / Outs
BB Walks  
BK Balks  
BSV Blown Saves  
CG Complete Games  
ER Earned Runs  
ERA Earned Run Average (Earned Runs * 9) / Innings Pitched
GIDP Batters Grounded Into Double Plays  
GS Games Started  
H/9 Hits Per Nine Innings (Hits * 27) / Outs
H Hits  
HBP Hit Batters  
HLD Holds  
HR Home Runs  
IBB Intentional Walks  
IP Innings Pitched  
IRA Inherited Runners Allowed  
K/9 Strikeouts per Nine Innings (Strikeouts / Innings Pitched) * 9
K/BB Strikeout to Walk Ratio Strikeouts / Walks
K Strikeouts  
L Losses  
NH No Hitters  
NSV Net Saves Saves - Blown Saves
SV+HLD Saves + Holds Saves + Holds
NSV+HLD Net Saves and Holds (Saves - Blown Saves) + Holds
OBPA On-base Percentage Against (Hits Allowed + Walks + Hit Batters) / Total Batters
OUT Outs  
PC Pitch Count  
PG Perfect Games  
PICK Pickoffs  
QS Quality Starts  
RAPP Relief Appearances  
RL Relief Losses  
RW Relief Wins  
SB Stolen Bases Allowed  
SHO Shutouts  
SV% Save Percentage Saves / Save Opportunities
SV Saves  
SVOP Save Opportunities  
TB Total Bases Allowed Hits + Doubles + (Triples * 2) + (Home Runs * 3)
TBF Total Batters Faced  
W Wins  
WHIP (Walks + Hits) / Innings Pitched (Walks + Hits) / Innings Pitched
WIN% Winning Percentage Wins / (Wins + Losses)
WP Wild Pitches  

If anyone has any thoughts they would like to add, please do so...  I am going to start looking and trying to come up with something I think could work...

First run through, I have a 5x5:

Hitters

AVG (sluggers can hit for average, but "most" of the time that isn't the case)
OBP (will help out the big hitters that have a good eye, but the non-sluggers can benefit as well)
SLG (this is for sluggers or players that get XBH)
R (what the object is, to score runs, everyone does it, good, bad, slap hitters, home run hitters)
SB (though not thought of as much any more, this will help the players that might hit for low average but are fast)

Thoughts:  Steaming would be difficult for runs and stolen bases...  It can be done, but chasing runs scored and stolen bases would be more fair with the categories than HR/RBI and other counting categories...  Plus HR/RBI would elevate home run hitters more, which is why we added strikeouts for hitters in the H2H league to offset that...

Pitchers

ERA
WHIP
K/9
Saves + Holds (or Net Saves + Holds)
QS

Thoughts:  Going K/9 would avoid the streaming for getting strikeouts only, which is one of the reasons for adding losses in the past...  Going Saves (or Net Saves) + Holds would combine two categories into one...  Relievers can really help with ERA, WHIP and K/9, but they could really hurt it more since they might only go an inning where a starter might be able to go a little longer...  Wins are a crap shoot to begin with especially with the relief pitching now, maybe going with quality starts instead would be a little better...  The only thing that streaming would help would be chasing quality starts and maybe having all RP to punt QS and work on the other four categories...  That was why I was hoping that Yahoo has a minimum innings for roto that can be set, though I don't think it does...

I'm OK with going to a roto format. This is the only league I play in that is H2H, so I'm pretty comfortable with the nuances of playing that format.

Based on Games Played limits and Max IP Limits, streaming can be curtailed pretty easily while still allowing for unlimited moves. My other 2 roto leagues simply have a 162 games played limit for each position and a seasonal 1400 IP limit. We could tweak that if desired, but still have a ceiling to prevent things from getting too crazy. You are correct that there is no minimum IP limit for roto, only a max.

As for stats to use, we could circle back to that if folks are onboard, but some initial thoughts:

I'd think that HR's and RBIs should be in there. Having Runs, SBs and with BA related stats and no power stats devalues big sluggers too much, IMO. All of a sudden, Trea Turner/Whit Merrifield types are MVPs and guys like Arenado and Freeman become JAGs.

Like K/9 and QS as stats. I agree that W's are way to fickle, especially in the age of openers. I'm open on S+H, but it may dilute the RP market to the point of "who cares" - why waste an early pick (or a keeper slot) on a closer if I can just keep plucking holds guys off the WW all season long?  I'd lean towards keeping the 2 categories separated.

24 minutes ago, Torn said:

I'd think that HR's and RBIs should be in there. Having Runs, SBs and with BA related stats and no power stats devalues big sluggers too much, IMO. All of a sudden, Trea Turner/Whit Merrifield types are MVPs and guys like Arenado and Freeman become JAGs.

That is what SLG is for, but I see what you are saying...  I would just like to make sure all positions are useful, which is why holds was added...

Another consideration of going to roto is the effect on our draft order process. In the current format, there is an incentive to staying active in the consolation bracket by getting your preferred draft slot in the next season. Not sure how we could mimic something like that with roto scoring.

Another option would be to go to a points system and use the one that Sandbox (remember them) had...

Runs = 1 point
Single = 1 point
Double = 2 points
Triple = 3 points
Homerun = 4 points
RBI = 1 point
SAC = 1 point
SF = 1 point
SB = 2 points
CS = -1 point
Walk = 1 point
HBP = 1 point
Strikeout = -1 point
GIDP = -1 point

Wins = 10 points
Losses = -5 points
CG = 5 points
SHO = 10 points
Saves = 15 points
Out = 1 point
Hit allowed = -1 point
ER = -1 point
Walk = -1 point
Strikeout = 1 point
Save Opp. = -5 points (This was their way of doing blown saves, which that category (BSV) now exists)

I just checked and all of these categories are available for use if we want to implement a point system that was identical to Sandbox...

Also, maybe we could switch up and just make it pitchers instead of SP/RP designation and drop it to seven or eight (from nine) and have an innings limit of course...

I hate to always be the negative Nancy but I’ll go ahead and say I don’t like it for the following reason

No problem with roto, problem however with switching to roto in essentially a deep keeper league where rosters have already been drafted with another format in mind. Now, we’ve also added ANOTHER keeper for 2021. 

if we change to roto I would prefer to do it for 2022 so that owners can take the new format change into mind when selecting keepers and drafting their 2021 rosters.