MDC

How do you know when to put a dog down?

My 12.5 y/o Boston terrier took a bad turn the past week or so. He’s totally incontinent now wearing belly bands, doesn’t want to go for walks and walks like an arthritic old man, sleeps all day and when he’s not sleeping faces the wall or corner of the room for no reason.

I spent a lot of money this weekend on bloodwork and an emergency ultrasound but other than some liver levels being a little elevated they can’t find anything. The vet said he could biopsy the liver or give him an MRI but that seems extreme for a dog his age. He doesn’t seem to be in pain.

Not sure if I wait til he is in obvious pain or stops eating? The incontinence is close to a dealbreaker. 

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that, MDC.  That's a tough call.  13 to 15 years is about the lifespan of a Boston Terrier so he's right there.

I feel terrible for your situation, but as bad as this pains me to say it, I think it's time.   Again, I'm sorry.

• Like 1

Sounds like it's time.  Doggo doesn't sound happy so it's best to let him go.  Sorry man.  Losing a dog is the focking worst. 

Always a tough decision. If the vet didn't find anything, maybe you give it a week or so to work out, but the incontinence is pretty tough(you live in the city right?).  For me it's always a two-fold question---First, Am I prolonging their life in any way that is causing them any suffering or has the effort to keep them become much more than the joy they provide?  

Good luck, do the what's best for you and your dog.  

12 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Sorry to hear that, MDC.  That's a tough call.  13 to 15 years is about the lifespan of a Boston Terrier so he's right there.

I feel terrible for your situation, but as bad as this pains me to say it, I think it's time.   Again, I'm sorry.

Thanks. I feel sort of bad thinking about putting him down if he’s not obviously hurting. But he’s in diapers and won’t go for walks - I get him outside and he stops after 10 feet. 

We’re going to work on his diet a little. If he’s like this with no progress or decline in a few weeks I may have to have him out down.

44 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Goodbye Fido.

This. I've held onto too many dogs getting put down. Focking heartbreaking but it's the right decision IMO

32 minutes ago, MDC said:

Thanks. I feel sort of bad thinking about putting him down if he’s not obviously hurting. But he’s in diapers and won’t go for walks - I get him outside and he stops after 10 feet. 

We’re going to work on his diet a little. If he’s like this with no progress or decline in a few weeks I may have to have him out down.

Sorry man. This is the part of having a pet that really sucks.

After my divorce, I learned the ex was going to put down the dog. My stepdaughter wouldn’t have It and took the dog to live with her. He’s old and grumpy, blind in one eye, but still seems pretty happy when he’s not sleeping. 

I’ve had the talk with her that if and when the time comes, one of us needs to be with him when it’s time, and not send him off to the back room of the vet with a total stranger. I know it’s coming, sooner than we’d like, but for now he’s not in pain. When that changes, we’ll have to do something.

Good luck to you. Hopefully it’s something that turns around soon.

• Haha 1

So...dogs, otherwise known as land gators, are one of the most dangerous animals in the United States of America.

Dogs are the leading spreader of rabies among all USA animals.

Out of all USA animals, they are third in murder of humans.

Dogs put about 13,000 humans in the hospital every year.

Dogs bite nearly 5 million Americans every year.

Whenever you see a dog, kill it, before it has a chance to kill you.

Well, that's the way I felt in the early years. Dogs, hookers, dog hookers, whatever.

6 minutes ago, phillybear said:

So...dogs, otherwise known as land gators, are one of the most dangerous animals in the United States of America.

Well, that's the way I felt in the early years. Dogs, hookers, dog hookers, whatever.

You spelled pitbull wrong.

It's a quality of life decision. You've had him for 12 years, you know him. Would he want to simply exist? 

It's always a tough call and it never gets easier but it's one that needs to be made. Sorry you have to make it. :(

16 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Dog faced pony soldiers.....

Bummer Man.......I also have a 13 year old Heeler turn has gotten worse this week. Facing the same deal

Good Luck.....and I hope you enjoy your new pup!

When they can no longer do the things they enjoy. General rule of thumb though, if they can't walk around, move it is time. They are miserable and keeping it going any longer is selfish.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Always a tough decision. If the vet didn't find anything, maybe you give it a week or so to work out, but the incontinence is pretty tough(you live in the city right?).  For me it's always a two-fold question---First, Am I prolonging their life in any way that is causing them any suffering or has the effort to keep them become much more than the joy they provide?  

This. Wait a bit and see how he does. You’ve had him for over a decade. It’ll be hard to give up a pet you’ve had that long. If the dog isn’t miserable and you can manage taking care of him then i couldn’t do it 

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

That’s a bit extreme. I think he should just put the dog down.

Sorry man, I just know I kept my first one probably a year too long, he would whimper alot I had to lift him up to get him walking and I was selfish, after I finally did it, I felt relief, I knew how miserable he was. He couldnt do anything on his own, but he always would try to make me happy

We called a service last time. Much easier than driving knowing what was about to happen. It was over in 12 seconds. I carried him out on a stretcher with the Vet tech. Still horrible but he was 15 and change for a big dog. That is a damn good life. Most his breed barely make 12. We feed him human food. I think that is why he lived longer. He was good though until the last week. Still running around and barking. 

I took my old dog out in the yard and shot him then buried him near a tree. Did it before anyone woke up. That’s just me though. Other people do it different. 

• Haha 1

Sounds like it is time. Would you want to go through life just sleeping and shitting all over yourself?

Ours died in her sleep about 6 weeks ago. She had cancer, but seemed pretty good. Was almost 12. It sucked coming downstairs and finding her not breathing, but it was better than some of the alternatives.

Set up a radio fence for the new one hopefully coming a few weeks.

Sorry to hear this MDC. Even though the dog is not displaying any symptoms of pain, there must be something that is causing it to not want to walk. I would give it a week tops and if no changes for the better, then it is time. 

Had the dog put down this afternoon. The past 3 months his symptoms got much worse and he spent most of his time asleep or pacing / panting, sticking his head in corners and getting “stuck” behind furniture. It seemed likely he had a stroke or brain tumor. 

He was a great dog and he’ll be missed. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Had the dog put down this afternoon. The past 3 months his symptoms got much worse and he spent most of his time asleep or pacing / panting, sticking his head in corners and getting “stuck” behind furniture. It seemed likely he had a stroke or brain tumor. 

He was a great dog and he’ll be missed. 

Sorry dude. Can’t say I am a pet person but been around pets my whole life so I certainly get it. Good luck to you and your family. 

Just now, Mike Isles said:

Sorry dude. Can’t say I am a pet person but been around pets my whole life so I certainly get it. Good luck to you and your family. 

Thanks. His quality of life was such shiit that even the kids knew it was time. But it still sucks.