Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Trip to Florida mid November.

Have a trip to planned to our place in Kissimmee for Mid November. 

If we go, our son has to quarantine for 2 weeks and can't go to school.

He would miss 2 weeks in all, luckily we get back Thanksgiving week. 

We really want to go, we know there are like no tourists down there and I can golf everyday.

Not sure we want to be "those parents" and have him miss 2 weeks of 2nd grade. :dunno:

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

We really want to go, we know there are like no tourists down there and I can golf everyday.

Not sure we want to be "those parents" and have him miss 2 weeks of 2nd grade. :dunno:

For your query, isn't the majority of learning at that age is the very basics with a lot of repetition to reinforce? My brother and I took off a month of 3rd and 4th grade for a big family reunion(some members came from overseas), were given a bunch of stuff to study during the trip---parents made us sit at the kitchen table for 2 hours a morning until we knocked it all out.  We didn't miss a thing and I don't think your son will either.

On a related note about Kissimmee---watch out for gators, they are everywhere in that area. 

1 minute ago, edjr said:

No virtual option for the quarantine week?  Our kids can basically do either, no sports for virtual only though.

My kid had a Covid scare a few weeks ago, they sent him home ( had a headache...  that's another story...).  He had to either wait 10 days or wait 2 and provide a negative test.  We got the test 2 days later and he could go back but, he was virtual the last 3 days of the week. If it wasn't for sports, he'd probably be full time virtual.  It's a clown show, they zoom the class with the kids in it and the teacher teaching, all homework and testing is done on the netbooks.  No attention is paid to kids who are virtual.

Honestly, it's 2nd grade, he isn't missing much..  They could give him the work ahead of time and he could do it on the trip with your help.

39 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

For your query, isn't the majority of learning at that age is the very basics with a lot of repetition to reinforce? My brother and I took off a month of 3rd and 4th grade for a big family reunion(some members came from overseas), were given a bunch of stuff to study during the trip---parents made us sit at the kitchen table for 2 hours a morning until we knocked it all out.  We didn't miss a thing and I don't think your son will either.

On a related note about Kissimmee---watch out for gators, they are everywhere in that area. 

You're probably right. I mean he just missed 3 months and is doing okay.

38 minutes ago, Reality said:

No virtual option for the quarantine week?  Our kids can basically do either, no sports for virtual only though.

My kid had a Covid scare a few weeks ago, they sent him home ( had a headache...  that's another story...).  He had to either wait 10 days or wait 2 and provide a negative test.  We got the test 2 days later and he could go back but, he was virtual the last 3 days of the week. If it wasn't for sports, he'd probably be full time virtual.  It's a clown show, they zoom the class with the kids in it and the teacher teaching, all homework and testing is done on the netbooks.  No attention is paid to kids who are virtual.

Honestly, it's 2nd grade, he isn't missing much..  They could give him the work ahead of time and he could do it on the trip with your help.

No virtual option, it's all in school right now. They are trying to get the poor kids chrome books so they can do some remote.  

I think if we ask for some assignments to take with, we should be okay.

Yeah, the second grade is important.  I had a friend who missed two weeks of the second grade and he still can't read.

33 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Yeah, the second grade is important.  I had a friend who missed two weeks of the second grade and he still can't read.

My kid can read, we have been reading the stories in penthouse together for years.

7 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Yeah, you’re fine.  

22 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

:lol:  There goes his shot at being a rocket scientist. 

:lol:

16 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Worst case scenario, he turns out like you. Skip the trip.

That would be horrible for him. He already looks like me and walks like me, that's plenty

Now his teacher will have to bang that other kid. 

Not looking good. :(

I checked and I can get 100% of my money back. Already canceled MIL's ticket.

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

Not looking good. :(

I checked and I can get 100% of my money back. Already canceled MIL's ticket.

What's not looking good?

1 minute ago, Cdub100 said:

What's not looking good?

Flying to Orlando for a week in 2 weeks. What's the point?

Just now, edjr said:

Flying to Orlando for a week in 2 weeks. What's the point?

I think people call it a vacation. :dunno:I dunno you scheduled it.

I think people call it a vacation. :dunno:I dunno you scheduled it.

A vacation where you can do nothing and 7 year old has to miss 2 weeks of school. FUN!

Just now, edjr said:

A vacation where you can do nothing and 7 year old has to miss 2 weeks of school. FUN!

Pretty much everything is open. Sh1t you can go to Disney World if you want. What are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Florida is pretty wide open right now, not sure what it is you can't do

Pretty much everything is open. Sh1t you can go to Disney World if you want. What are you talking about?

Golden Corral?  :(

Just now, edjr said:

Hundreds of Orlando businesses have closed for good due to Covid-19

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/07/24/hundreds-of-orlando-businesses-closed.html

:(

Yeah, dude that's pretty much all over the country. Well except in the states that didn't close down due to a bug with a 99.99997% survival rate.

Leave the kid with the MIL if she isn't going.  Go yourself and spend all your time in strip clubs.  

It's not that hard to figure out.  

18 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Just got back from a week, great time, great, weather, masks are optional.  Feel fantastic.

Whereabouts?

I thought a rental car for a week would be much cheaper. $300, WTF. 

3 days down, 5 more to go. Weather has been mid 80s and only scattered rain. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Thanks ETA. Weekend looks great!

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

3 days down, 5 more to go. Weather has been mid 80s and only scattered rain. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Thanks ETA. Weekend looks great!

But but

Hundreds of Orlando businesses have closed for good due to Covid-19v

Just now, Meglamaniac said:

But but

so they haven't? :wacko:

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 9:04 AM, edjr said:

Are you doing things??

11 minutes ago, Meglamaniac said:

But but

:lol:

On 10/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, edjr said:

Whereabouts?

Missed this Ed. Was in Bradenton.  Quirky little town, Bradenton.  Filled with homeless dirtbags and cool bars. And no masks. Florida in miniature. 

On 10/1/2020 at 8:48 AM, Reality said:

You are assuming Edger is smarter then a second grader 

:ninja:

17 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Missed this Ed. Was in Bradenton.  Quirky little town, Bradenton.  Filled with homeless dirtbags and cool bars. And no masks. Florida in miniature. 

Masks everywhere, but that's fine with me. Everything is open which is nice.

Somebody still has to explain to me how it is going to a baseball game is pathologically dangerous, but I can strap myself into an enclosed germ tube for 4 hours sitting three feet from the next person and everything's fine.

Looking forward to wearing a mask all day today at universal, outside in 85 degree weather, YAY!