Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Electric Lawn Mower

Anyone have any experience with these? They worth the money or just a waste? Thinking about buying one to cut our yard instead of paying $80 every 2 weeks for someone else to come cut it. Had a bad experience with an electric weed eater with the batteries dying on them quick and just not giving it enough power. Worried the lawnmower would be the same way 

I was walking my dogs back in the summer and strolled past this old lady pushing a lawnmower that made no sound. I thought she had Joe Biden disease until I got home and was able to look up online that these things exist. Personally, I prefer gasoline for all things. I’m not one of those environmental queers. 

6 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I was walking my dogs back in the summer and strolled past this old lady pushing a lawnmower that made no sound. I thought she had Joe Biden disease until I got home and was able to look up online that these things exist. Personally, I prefer gasoline for all things. I’m not one of those environmental queers. 

You're just a normal queer.

• Haha 1

I have a battery powered mower and trimmer. Both are 7 years old and work great. I imagine the newer tech is even better.

I am never going back, no worrying about oil changes, maintenance, or storing gas.

10 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

You're just a normal queer.

No, I dislike queers just as much as I do other minorities. 

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have a battery powered mower and trimmer. Both are 7 years old and work great. I imagine the newer tech is even better.

I am never going back, no worrying about oil changes, maintenance, or storing gas.

Are batteries electric?  🤔

I went battery for all minor yard stuff...strimmer...pole saw..blower..etc.  i have some batteries 5 yrs old still hold a 30 min charge.  40 volt kobalt stuff.  They have 80v now.  Mine keeps pluggin away...some features meh but not enough to make me go back to fuddlefockin with gas mix

9 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I went battery for all minor yard stuff...strimmer...pole saw..blower..etc.  i have some batteries 5 yrs old still hold a 30 min charge.  40 volt kobalt stuff.  They have 80v now.  Mine keeps pluggin away...some features meh but not enough to make me go back to fuddlefockin with gas mix

I have a kobalt blower and pole saw as well. Those work great.

My mower and trimmer are greenworks though. I would have gone kobalt with everything, but they were not making mowers back when I bought one.

9 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have a kobalt blower and pole saw as well. Those work great as well. 

My mower and trimmer are free works though. I would have gone kobalt with everything, but they were not making mowers back when I bought one.

The weedeater ...dont care for handle position..unbalanced to me but does the job

32 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Are gas powered lawn mowers not allowed in your neighborhood, or are you unable to use gas powered equipment?

Nope. They are allowed. But my wife is wanting to try out an electric lawnmower. Told her I’d rather go with gas. I think the electric was a little cheaper than the gas powered ones we were looking at

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

Anyone have any experience with these? They worth the money or just a waste? Thinking about buying one to cut our yard instead of paying $80 every 2 weeks for someone else to come cut it. Had a bad experience with an electric weed eater with the batteries dying on them quick and just not giving it enough power. Worried the lawnmower would be the same way 

Every two weeks? Oh, you’re that guy on the block. Makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Nope. They are allowed. But my wife is wanting to try out an electric lawnmower. Told her I’d rather go with gas. I think the electric was a little cheaper than the gas powered ones we were looking at

Go with gas.

1 hour ago, Gladiators said:

Are gas powered lawn mowers not allowed in your neighborhood, or are you unable to use gas powered equipment?

I would guess unable to use gas powered equipment as he can back up a trailer. 

You better get a gas powered mower since you do not currently own one. Goober. 

2 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

I have an Ego . I liked the mower so much I bought a blower and string trimmer 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Fantasy said:

I have an Ego . I liked the mower so much I bought a blower and string trimmer 

Do you wear your fanny pack when you mow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Every two weeks? Oh, you’re that guy on the block. Makes sense. 

I see your DDS is still acting up. Grass doesn’t need cut until about 2 weeks. 

Of course it’s beats being THAT guy who can’t afford a pizza for his family :lol: 

1 hour ago, Mike Isles said:

I would guess unable to use gas powered equipment as he can back up a trailer. 

You better get a gas powered mower since you do not currently own one. Goober. 

Electric >> gas

2 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Why would you rather go with gas? Listen to your wife, she must be the smart one.

3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Yep. Went to battery weed eater when my corded one died. The battery lasts FOREVER on the weedeater. Can't wait for my gas mower to die so I can pickup a battery powered one. My yard is small though 

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Why would you rather go with gas? Listen to your wife, she must be the smart one.

Cause electric usually cross out a lot more than gas does. It also doesn’t usually produce as much power. Had bad experiences throughout the years with electric powered tools. They start out great but after a few months they end up not holding a charge long or producing the same power they did when you first have them. 

Being smart is actually weighing both options and not blindly choosing something like you seem to. Instead of being a d1ck about it try to stick with just talking like a normal person would in real life instead of this fake tough guy act on the internet. Especially when the person you’re talking to is being civil and not being a smart ass 

2 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Yep. Went to battery weed eater when my corded one died. The battery lasts FOREVER on the weedeater. Can't wait for my gas mower to die so I can pickup a battery powered one. My yard is small though 

Are you a liberal tree hugger? 

Me neither, I work for big oil. I use electric because it is the superior technology. 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Cause electric usually cross out a lot more than gas does. It also doesn’t usually produce as much power. Had bad experiences throughout the years with electric powered tools. They start out great but after a few months they end up not holding a charge long or producing the same power they did when you first have them. 

Being smart is actually weighing both options and not blindly choosing something like you seem to. Instead of being a d1ck about it try to stick with just talking like a normal person would in real life instead of this fake tough guy act on the internet 

So you are saying your wife is the dumb one?

I do not understand the response?

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

I use electric because it is the superior technology. 

For certain things like lawn equipment. Keep your electric cars in your rainbow clad ghey dungeon :P

• Haha 1

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

So you are saying your wife is the dumb one?

I do not understand the response?

:doh: 

Im saying don’t be a d1ck. Especially when I’m being extremely civil and asking for opinions on people that have or had an electric lawn mower. It would be different if in the past every piece of my electric yard equipment didn’t crap out unlike their gas counterparts. But technology has advanced since then so I figured I’d at least find out if it’s any better. Don’t see the problem in that :dunno: 

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

:doh: 

Im saying don’t be a d1ck. Especially when I’m being extremely civil and asking for opinions on people that have or had an electric lawn mower. It would be different if in the past every piece of my electric yard equipment didn’t crap out unlike their gas counterparts. But technology has advanced since then so I figured I’d at least find out if it’s any better. Don’t see the problem in that :dunno: 

I guess I can't help being a d1ck. I am probably the biggest d1ck on this bored.

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

I guess I can't help being a d1ck. I am probably the biggest d1ck on this bored.

If you say so slick 

3 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

If you say so slick 

I was making a joke, both in response to your original post about your wife being smart, and again about d1cks.

I would give another joke response, buy that may go over your head as well.

Either way electric is the way to go.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I was making a joke, both in response to your original post about your wife being smart, and again about d1cks.

I would give another joke response, buy that may go over your head as well.

Either way electric is the way to go.

I know bro. I guess internet doesn’t really give you that feel for me understanding that. 

Anyways, can you elaborate on why you think it’s the better tech? Cause I REALLY don’t feel like buying an electric mower only to have to buy a gas powered one after a year like I’ve had to with my other yard equipment (which I sold since we moved into a condo down in Charleston and now I need it for our house  😑

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

I know bro. I guess internet doesn’t really give you that feel for me understanding that. 

Anyways, can you elaborate on why you think it’s the better tech? Cause I REALLY don’t feel like buying an electric mower only to have to buy a gas powered one after a year like I’ve had to with my other yard equipment (which I sold since we moved into a condo down in Charleston and now I need it 😑

No oil changes, no maintenance, great reliability, and only slightly less performance.

Everyone I know who has made the switch has been happy. All anecdotal evidence, which is the worst type, but still.

I feel comfortable recommending it to anyone who listens.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

No oil changes, no maintenance, great reliability, and only slightly less performance.

Everyone I know who has made the switch has been happy. All anecdotal evidence, which is the worst type, but still.

I feel comfortable recommending it to anyone who listens.

I’m just worried about paying $200+ for an electric lawnmower only to have to buy a gas one in a year like I’ve had to with my other equipment. Has it maintained the battery charge and power it had when you first had it? Or has that gone down 

3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I’m just worried about paying $200+ for an electric lawnmower only to have to buy a gas one in a year like I’ve had to with my other equipment. Has it maintained the battery charge and power it had when you first had it? Or has that gone down 

Mine are 7 years old and still work good. I rotate 3 batteries, now once a week for 3 months, once every other week for 3 more months, and once a month for about 6 months.

All numbers are approximate.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

Mine are 7 years old and still work good. I rotate 3 batteries, now once a week for 3 months, once every other week for 3 more months, and once a month for about 6 months.

All numbers are approximate.

How’s the power output? I’ve noticed electric doesn’t produce as much as gas does so it takes a little more effort (such as going over it two or three times) to finish the job than with gas. Keep in mind, this was a while ago so I’m sure the tech is better now 

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

How’s the power output? I’ve noticed electric doesn’t produce as much as gas does so it takes a little more effort (such as going over it two or three times) to finish the job than with gas. Keep in mind, this was a while ago so I’m sure the tech is better now 

I only need to mow once, power output is pretty good.

There is a reason the tesla is a badass in the 0-60 time and that every train and major piece of mining equipment uses electric motors.

47 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I only need to mow once, power output is pretty good.

There is a reason the tesla is a badass in the 0-60 time and that every train and major piece of mining equipment uses electric motors.

:thumbsup: 

I guess every neighborhood has that trash house that only mows the lawn every two weeks.  In that case I would go with gas because the grass is going to be thicker after two weeks and the extra power will be handy.