Sign in to follow this  
Old School

No love for Damien Harris?

2020- starters going down with injury and games being rescheduled due to Covid makes the bench RBs a bit more important 

With Mostert down with injury and Henry out due a postponed game, Carson was a nice surprise coming back to start week 4. Depth is a concern- can't depend on Latavius every week.

Harris made his debut last night with 100 yards (41 came on one carry) Sony Michelle on IR- what is the outlook for Harris going forward? I thought he looked good.

Adrian Peterson is a starter- averaging 9 per game. Old, but a starting RB on the wire going into week 5

D'Ernest Johnson- splitting time with Hunt with a great line

Justin Jackson.

Ready for the standard "if you are depending on these guys" 

Damien probably the most talented healthy RB in NE now.  But Bill trusts White and Burkhead because they don't fumble, probably both great pass blockers, and they get the most out of what they have.  They're in Bill's circle of trust.  Damien could be outstanding but I don't know that I believe NE will allow him to be.  

D'Ernest's amount of carries makes me think maybe now is the time for me to trade Hunt.  Hunt may be a sell high right now because Cleveland may have no interest in making him a bell cow with Chubb out.  I think the Cleveland OL is really good and any RB would enjoy running behind them.

Justin Jackson looks good but he's probably not going to win you much.

I'm wondering about Harris too, but am hesitant because Big Bill loves to use as many RBs as he can, they don't throw to Harris, and Newton will hog the goal line carries. I'm wondering why AZ doesn't just bench Drake and play (the better numbers when he gets to play) Edmonds, I think he's being overlooked too. Harris is the best RB that NE has but they have always like a RBBC scheme.

Everyone one of them is good for depth.  

I like D Johnson of the Browns the lest , Chubb will be returning.  

From what I’ve seen , they think Ekeler might be out the rest of the season, not confirmed.  And Kelley hasn’t been doing much lately, I think Jackson is the pick  

Harris is a rb for the Patriots, enough said.  

5 minutes ago, weepaws said:

From what I’ve seen , they think Ekeler might be out the rest of the season, not confirmed.  And Kelley hasn’t been doing much lately, I think Jackson is the pick  

👀 Where is this info coming from?  Obviously Jackson would be much more interesting if Ekeler was done.

16 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

👀 Where is this info coming from?  Obviously Jackson would be much more interesting if Ekeler was done.

After seeing your post, I went to the team site to check for update, now saying 4-6 weeks, that his injury wasn’t has bad as first reported.  

First thing I read was, they thought he possibly could miss the rest of the season, but based on this update not so. 

Good stuff. 

Im looking for some depth, and some these guys have some positive upside. It’s a crapshoot as to who actually performs on game day. 

I disagree , when can anyone count on starting a Pats rb as a rb2 or even a flex play? 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

I disagree , when can anyone count on starting a Pats rb as a rb2 or even a flex play? 

James White in PPR is a decent flex play

31 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

James White in PPR is a decent flex play

I apologize, your right he is even better then decent , he is a good flex play.  

On 10/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, weepaws said:

The past 4 season a Patriot RB (that isn’t James White) has gotten 200+ touches and finished in the top 25 RBs (half PPR RB rank)

2019-Sony Michel (25)
2018-Sony Michel (25)
2017- Dion Lewis (12)
2016- LaGarett Blount (9)

I think Michel just isn’t that good or and can’t stay healthy.  Damien Harris definitely has the potential to be better than Michel, Lewis, or Blount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minister of Pain said:

The past 4 season a Patriot RB (that isn’t James White) has gotten 200+ touches and finished in the top 25 RBs (half PPR RB rank)

2019-Sony Michel (25)
2018-Sony Michel (25)
2017- Dion Lewis (12)
2016- LaGarett Blount (9)

I think Michel just isn’t that good or and can’t stay healthy.  Damien Harris definitely has the potential to be better than Michel, Lewis, or Blount.

I think I’ll stick to White being the only one that one can trust to at least flex weekly. 

Last season based on weekly rankings in 1/2 point ppr. 

Michel finished in the top 36 , 6 times. 

White 10 times. 

Just looking at the first 14 weeks, I didn’t look at weeks 15-17. 

So I agree with other poster , that White is a good flex play. 

Ps  you said Harris has the potential to be better, maybe? And you said Michel can’t stay healthy, Harris has played 3 nfl games out of a possible 20, so I’m not so sure your talking about the right player, maybe. 

Thanks. 

On 10/6/2020 at 6:37 PM, weepaws said:

2016 and 2017.  Its a totally different situation now but that is 2 of the last 4 years.

I think the best sign was that Harris got 17 carries right out of the gates.  Of course they had a run heavy game plan.

It will be tough to really trust him until he moves Rex out of the way.  Rex is playing well so that may not be easy.  It was concerning that the split was Harris on 1st and 2nd, White on passing and then Rex being sprinkled in AND the back inside the 10.  That really has to change.  Also, have to hope that as the get closer to the playoffs they have the wins set so that they can be more protective of Cam around the goal line.

So a lot has to happen to make Harris a trustable RB2.  With all of the injuries he is worth the speculative add.  Probably not a league winner.

2 hours ago, BobSanders_33 said:

2016 and 2017.  Its a totally different situation now but that is 2 of the last 4 years.

I think the best sign was that Harris got 17 carries right out of the gates.  Of course they had a run heavy game plan.

It will be tough to really trust him until he moves Rex out of the way.  Rex is playing well so that may not be easy.  It was concerning that the split was Harris on 1st and 2nd, White on passing and then Rex being sprinkled in AND the back inside the 10.  That really has to change.  Also, have to hope that as the get closer to the playoffs they have the wins set so that they can be more protective of Cam around the goal line.

So a lot has to happen to make Harris a trustable RB2.  With all of the injuries he is worth the speculative add.  Probably not a league winner.

He’s worth a add no question, but Michel will return in a couple of weeks also. 

And Harris doesn’t have a track record of staying healthy since he’s been in the nfl. 

I need to see another couple of games before I can say , I trust the hoody to trust him has his team rb1. 

To many variables to trust Harris at this time. 

I hope I’m wrong , and if so let me know it. 

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

I think I’ll stick to White being the only one that one can trust to at least flex weekly. 

Last season based on weekly rankings in 1/2 point ppr. 

Michel finished in the top 36 , 6 times. 

White 10 times. 

Just looking at the first 14 weeks, I didn’t look at weeks 15-17. 

So I agree with other poster , that White is a good flex play. 

Ps  you said Harris has the potential to be better, maybe? And you said Michel can’t stay healthy, Harris has played 3 nfl games out of a possible 20, so I’m not so sure your talking about the right player, maybe. 

Thanks. 

Harris was inactive most of last year, but he wasn’t injured.   This year he was drawing rave reviews in camp and broke his pinky.  Nothing that suggests he is injury prone.  

You said “when can anyone count on starting a Pats rb as an RB2 or even a flex play”

My point is that it has literally happened the last 4 years.  Michel, Lewis, and Blount all produced low end RB2 seasons at worst.  Easily making them weekly flex plays those seasons.  Any player you have at flex is going to have good weeks and bad weeks.  Patriots use RBBC, but they also consistently give a back other than White 200+ touches a season. 

I don’t think Sony Michel, Dion Lewis, or LaGarette Blount is a high bar for Harris to pass from a talent perspective.  Saying he is potentially better than those guys isn’t saying much.

Harris will have the opportunity to fill a role that has proven to return RB2 value the last 4 years.  

6 hours ago, Minister of Pain said:

Harris was inactive most of last year, but he wasn’t injured.   This year he was drawing rave reviews in camp and broke his pinky.  Nothing that suggests he is injury prone.  

You said “when can anyone count on starting a Pats rb as an RB2 or even a flex play”

My point is that it has literally happened the last 4 years.  Michel, Lewis, and Blount all produced low end RB2 seasons at worst.  Easily making them weekly flex plays those seasons.  Any player you have at flex is going to have good weeks and bad weeks.  Patriots use RBBC, but they also consistently give a back other than White 200+ touches a season. 

I don’t think Sony Michel, Dion Lewis, or LaGarette Blount is a high bar for Harris to pass from a talent perspective.  Saying he is potentially better than those guys isn’t saying much.

Harris will have the opportunity to fill a role that has proven to return RB2 value the last 4 years.  

No problem, thanks for the reply, let’s see how this plays out.  

I looked at 2018 and 2019 1/2 ppr , and unless your talking about White, who I agree with, I don’t see another Rb2 

in 2016 Blount had 18 rushing tds, Harris not so much, In 2017 Lewis had 32 rec, Harris not so much  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

I looked at 2018 and 2019 1/2 ppr , and unless your talking about White, who I agree with, I don’t see another Rb2 

in 2016 Blount had 18 rushing tds, Harris not so much, In 2017 Lewis had 32 rec, Harris not so much  

Fair, though we really don't know how good Damien Harris is. He certainly has Burkhead still stealing touches and White getting all the receptions, but Belicheck loved him out of the draft and unsurprisingly he had rave reviews in camp and does many things well, which is the kind of player Belicheck likes.  There is potential, albeit capped potential. 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

No worries, I’m just offering a different perspective, because I think most people share your opinion regarding Pats RBs.  I just thought it was interesting when I looked at numbers and realized just how many touches RBs were getting in that role in New England.  

I looked again and I think my ranks for Michel must have been standard and not half PPR scoring.  But he also only played 13 games in ‘18.  

It’s quite possible that Harris doesn’t pan out, but I like him quite a bit better, especially in dynasty leagues, than other players in similar spots like D’Earnest Johnson and Justin Jackson. 

13 hours ago, Minister of Pain said:

No worries, I’m just offering a different perspective, because I think most people share your opinion regarding Pats RBs.  I just thought it was interesting when I looked at numbers and realized just how many touches RBs were getting in that role in New England.  

I looked again and I think my ranks for Michel must have been standard and not half PPR scoring.  But he also only played 13 games in ‘18.  

It’s quite possible that Harris doesn’t pan out, but I like him quite a bit better, especially in dynasty leagues, than other players in similar spots like D’Earnest Johnson and Justin Jackson. 

Thank you. 

On 10/6/2020 at 3:50 PM, Jarvis Basnight said:

Damien probably the most talented healthy RB in NE now.  But Bill trusts White and Burkhead because they don't fumble, probably both great pass blockers, and they get the most out of what they have.  They're in Bill's circle of trust.  Damien could be outstanding but I don't know that I believe NE will allow him to be.  

D'Ernest's amount of carries makes me think maybe now is the time for me to trade Hunt.  Hunt may be a sell high right now because Cleveland may have no interest in making him a bell cow with Chubb out.  I think the Cleveland OL is really good and any RB would enjoy running behind them.

Justin Jackson looks good but he's probably not going to win you much.

I wouldn't be fooled by D'Ernest's number of carries. Hunt was nursing a slight groin strain, and they were up big in the game, hence there was no need to risk Hunt and they could simply keep handing off to D'Ernest. He's worth a pickup but I think he's going to be pretty game-script dependent. I don't think he suddenly takes all of Chubb's carries, Hunt will be the bell cow (he has been before at KC, no reason why he can't be again). And in games where they are chasing points I think Dontrell Hilliard sees targets over D'Ernest.