Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

President Trump tweeted Happy Columbus Day

39 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Who, the church?

Yes. I’m going to say something you might not think I would. I think there’s something wrong with most priests. Who, in these modern times with so much good stuff to do, would want to live that  kind of life? Power trip I guess. Maybe a guilt trip.  To  me it’s not something a normal man would want to pursue. You can still go out and do all sorts of great things and serve god and still have a wife and get drunk once in a while. When I think of the church I actually think of the people that attend it and do good things more than the authoritative aspect of it. I’m not looking to those guys for any sort of advice about anything. With rare exception. 

10 minutes ago, Bert said:

You called out someone else for being a religious hypocrite when you yourself are a religious hypocrite.  You are no different than him.

How am I a religious hypocrite though? What did I do that was hypocritical?  That’s where you lost me.

I’m Catholic but I’m not really a practicing Catholic. They don’t really practice what they preach. 

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

How am I a religious hypocrite though? What did I do that was hypocritical?  That’s where you lost me.

I’m Catholic but I’m not really a practicing Catholic. They don’t really practice what they preach. 

You proclaimed, in condemning him that Jesus wouldn't like his behavior, that you were a Catholic Christian.  Catholic Jesus would not like your behavior either.  Claiming to be Catholic them saying you don't practice is hypocritical.  It is the same as saying you are a Christian and not acting like one. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yes. I’m going to say something you might not think I would. I think there’s something wrong with most priests. Who, in these modern times with so much good stuff to do, want to live that  kind of life? Power trip I guess. Maybe a guilt trip.  To  me it’s not something a normal man would want to pursue. You can still go out and do all sorts of great things and serve god and still have a wife and get drunk once in a while. When I think of the church I actually think of the people that attend it and do good things more than the authoritative aspect of it. I’m not looking to those guys for any sort of advice about anything. With rare exception. 

I’m with you there. I never understood wanting to be a priest. Always figured it was because they have some kind of issues. The priests in my town have had a history of having power trips. Own current priest is Irish and loves to drink and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. The man can drink his Irish whiskey. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yes. I’m going to say something you might not think I would. I think there’s something wrong with most priests. Who, in these modern times with so much good stuff to do, want to live that  kind of life? Power trip I guess. Maybe a guilt trip.  To  me it’s not something a normal man would want to pursue. You can still go out and do all sorts of great things and serve god and still have a wife and get drunk once in a while. When I think of the church I actually think of the people that attend it and do good things more than the authoritative aspect of it. I’m not looking to those guys for any sort of advice about anything. With rare exception. 

:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I’m with you there. I never understood wanting to be a priest. Always figured it was because they have some kind of issues. The priests in my town have had a history of having power trips. Own current priest is Irish and loves to drink and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. The man can drink his Irish whiskey. 

My biggest gripe with them is when the homily goes long. I read once that when someone is speaking most people lose interest 5-7 minutes in or something like that.  Make your point and move on. We all  want to get on with our day. They should take a public speaking class 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

You proclaimed, in condemning him that Jesus wouldn't like his behavior, that you were a Catholic Christian.  Catholic Jesus would not like your behavior either.  Claiming to be Catholic them saying you don't practice is hypocritical.  It is the same as saying you are a Christian and not acting like one. 

I feel like you’re trying really hard to make something out of nothing here. Just because I’m Catholic does not make me a very religious person. I was giving him some crap since he claimed to be offended. I never made any claims of being very religious other than the fact I am Catholic. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

My biggest gripe with them is when the homily goes long. I read once that when someone is speaking most people lose interest 5-7 minutes in or something like that.  Make your point and move on. We all ant to get on with our day. They should take a public speaking class 

I’ve always felt that the majority of people attending church are only there because they feel the obligation to or because they are afraid of something bad happening if they don’t. Few actually attend for the intended purpose of it. They sit there and judge everyone around them and when it’s over they gossip with their friends about who was their, who wasn’t, what they were wearing and all kinds of cringeworthy crap. Hard to get on board with them. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I feel like you’re trying really hard to make something out of nothing here. Just because I’m Catholic does not make me a very religious person. I was giving him some crap since he claimed to be offended. I never made any claims of being very religious other than the fact I am Catholic. 

Fair enough.  That is the way it sounded when you broke out the whole, Jesus must be proud of you being so mean, comment.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Absolutely.  I wonder if the no wife thing has really brought in the pedophiles.  I remember those concerns in the 70's and early 80's and they were simply dismissed.   

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Absolutely.  I wonder if the no wife thing has really brought in the pedophiles.  I remember those concerns in the 70's and early 80's and they were simply dismissed.   

It has to make a big difference. I can’t imagine there are as many issues with deacons who are allowed to marry and have families. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It has to make a big difference. I can’t imagine there are as many issues with deacons who are allowed to marry and have families. 

You would think.  Slaves to tradition and very very slow to change.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Anyone who's Catholic should explore the Greek Orthodox church.  It broke off from Catholicism and is basically the same thing other than a couple of differences, one being that they let their priests marry. 

Columbus didn't discover anything, but he did bring/introduced cattle to us - that was his greatest contribution.

I'll toss him a holiday for steak. 

14 hours ago, Strike said:

Just wait until he wishes everyone a Merry Xmas!!!

Heard there was a Xmas tree shortage for this year. Time to dig the fakie out!

17 hours ago, supermike80 said:

And my God the replies.  Someone even said something like "you are rubbing salt on the wounds of Indians"

My God.   The man can't even say Happy Columbus Day...which has existed since the early 1900's, without being called a racist

I love my country.

But you are voting Biden. You obviously hate your country. 

13 minutes ago, 12th Man said:

But you are voting Biden. You obviously hate your country. 

No one pays any attention to you.  You know that right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Which indigenous people are we celebrating, the very original group?  Or one of the other groups that eventually conquered other groups?

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

No one pays any attention to you.  You know that right?

Whatever you say MDC LIGHT. 

• Sad 1