Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Projectors

Looking to get possibly 2 projectors: one for inside and one for outside. Anyone have one and can give some recommendations? 

Why would you want a Democrat inside and another one outside?  :banana:

• Haha 1

I have a crappy one that use for out door movies. It's pretty old. So no I don't have any recommendations

I'm not even sure why I'm eating your time writing this, but here we are.

5 minutes ago, DexterM1776 said:

I have a crappy one that use for out door movies. It's pretty old. So no I don't have any recommendations

I don’t know if there’s a difference for outside vs inside when it comes to projectors. I’d like to get the same one for both. Just buy two. But I don’t know if there’s a difference between an outdoor one and an indoor one. 

Projectors don't hold up and look like shlt, big screens TV's are cheap enough now where it doesn't make sense to use a projector.

23 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Looking to get possibly 2 projectors: one for inside and one for outside. Anyone have one and can give some recommendations? 

Better get high power for outside...makes a big diff...and check the price of replacement bulbs...they bend you over a barrel for them

1 minute ago, Reality said:

Projectors don't hold up and look like shlt, big screens TV's are cheap enough now where it doesn't make sense to use a projector.

Well I’m definitely getting one for outside. Thought about putting one upstairs in my game room/man cave. I saw where they have 4K projectors now so I figured the picture quality might have gotten better over the years 

14 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I don’t know if there’s a difference for outside vs inside when it comes to projectors. I’d like to get the same one for both. Just buy two. But I don’t know if there’s a difference between an outdoor one and an indoor one. 

Outdoor needs high lumens..so you can blast it big.

Get the outside one. You can fill the yeti cooler with beers and watch movies on your wraparound porch.

I got into the projector game and never again. The tech is really finicky. I bought a $2500 Mitsubishi top tier, all the bells and whistles. Within a few years the tech changed and they stopped making projectors. It was amazing though when I had it operational with 7.1 surround sound. I could hear little nuances in NFL games, like people cursing which is not picked up on TV. Everyone was laughing. Just amazing. It's now a dust collector except for fantasy drafts at the house. Can't do 4K which killed it. I need 4K.   

Few things to look out for though. The blacks. Not black people, the actual color. For whatever reason projectors struggle with it. And 4K, gotta have it. Depends what you are using it for but decent blacks and 4K I would do it if you really think you will use it. Third is the bulbs. If it's bulbs they don't last long. Can't watch it like TV. They burn out relatively quick and are not cheap.

1 minute ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Better get high power for outside...makes a big diff...and check the price of replacement bulbs...they bend you over a barrel for them

Ah see I didn’t know that. Figured the bulbs wouldn’t even be that expensive. We plan on building a fire pit out of stone in the backyard and wanted to have a projector and screen out there with it. I’ll definitely get one with high lumens then for the outside. That’s the main area I wanted it. Figured I might get one for inside but wasn’t too sure of how good the picture quality is. Might just get a another TV for inside instead 

25 minutes ago, DexterM1776 said:

I for one am glad you shared.  

2 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I got into the projector game and never again. The tech is really finicky. I bought a $2500 Mitsubishi top tier, all the bells and whistles. Within a few years the tech changed and they stopped making projectors. It was amazing though when I had it operational with 7.1 surround sound. I could hear little nuances in NFL games, like people cursing which is not picked up on TV. Everyone was laughing. Just amazing. It's now a dust collector except for fantasy drafts at the house. Can't do 4K which killed it. I need 4K.   

Few things to look out for though. The blacks. Not black people, the actual color. For whatever reason projectors struggle with it. And 4K, gotta have it. Depends what you are using it for but decent blacks and 4K I would do it if you really think you will use it. Third is the bulbs. If it's bulbs they don't last long. Can't watch it like TV. They burn out relatively quick.  

Yea this would be for outside. Sounds like inside is a no-go for me for the projector. It would be used for when we go outside to the fire pit or if we have people over. Since I don’t have a pool or hot tub (yet) I don’t have a lot of reason to spend outside in the backyard besides playing with my dogs. Love being outside and wanted to have a tv out there but I think a projector might be a better idea. Definitely wouldn’t be watching it as often as the tv. Only special occasions

I have a garage with a huge white-sided wall.  I've often thought about buying a cheap outdoor projector and throwing movie parties outside in the summer.  I've never done it because I don't have any friends and I would look like a real tool watching a movie outside by myself.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Yea this would be for outside. Sounds like inside is a no-go for me for the projector. It would be used for when we go outside to the fire pit or if we have people over. Since I don’t have a pool or hot tub (yet) I don’t have a lot of reason to spend outside in the backyard besides playing with my dogs. Love being outside and wanted to have a tv out there but I think a projector might be a better idea. Definitely wouldn’t be watching it as often as the tv. Only special occasions

I would look into an alternative to bulbs. Been a while, but I think the tech was going to lazers. Those bulbs are no good for extensive use. High dollar to replace. If you pull the trigger though go with a reputable brand. One that owns the market on projectors. Like I said, I went Mitsubishi and they folded in that dept. It was a good product but they just said phuck it. The tech changes fast with projectors.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Ah see I didn’t know that. Figured the bulbs wouldn’t even be that expensive. We plan on building a fire pit out of stone in the backyard and wanted to have a projector and screen out there with it. I’ll definitely get one with high lumens then for the outside. That’s the main area I wanted it. Figured I might get one for inside but wasn’t too sure of how good the picture quality is. Might just get a another TV for inside instead 

Newer projectors are LED and better and cost less.  Have to look at ambient light around your house...neighbors lights etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I have a garage with a huge white-sided wall.  I've often thought about buying a cheap outdoor projector and throwing movie parties outside in the summer.  I've never done it because I don't have any friends and I would look like a real tool watching a movie outside by myself.

Me and my wife plan on using the projector by ourselves. Get the fire pit going, turn on a movie on the projector, and have some beers while watching it :dunno: 

3 minutes ago, fandandy said:

But how does one make friends without a really cool outdoor projector?  🤔

It's a real catch-22.  :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Save the money and buy a lawn mower

Already getting that. Got plenty of money to spare which is why I’m trying to pimp out my house lol 

• Thanks 1

You can do a slideshow of your pictures from Augusta International when you get them developed. 

Doing a pool and patio and just going with a TV. I like projectors but I got burned last run. I still use the old 5X8 screen and 1080 projector for the draft but probably just go with a 55-65 inch outdoor TV next time. Way easier and the picture is cleaner and brighter. When I had my projector up though, watching a movie in the man cave with 7.1 and a good sub woofer...just amazing. You could feel the movie. It was better than the actual movies.

14 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Doing a pool and patio and just going with a TV. I like projectors but I got burned last run. I still use the old 5X8 screen and 1080 projector for the draft but probably just go with a 55-65 inch outdoor TV next time. Way easier and the picture is cleaner and brighter. When I had my projector up though, watching a movie in the man cave with 7.1 and a good sub woofer...just amazing. You could feel the movie. It was better than the actual movies.

Cloaca was just talking about an LED projector that I might look in to. I wanted to do a whole surround sound system with the subs and everything in my upstairs room. Was looking at getting all the wireless ones as well as the projector. Kind of on the fence now whether I want one for inside and outside or just one for the outside. It would get used quite a bit outside cause we love lighting up the fire pit in the winter and letting the dogs chill outside with us 

It's just hard to keep up with video tech. In five years everything is switching over to ATSC 3.0 so right there, no projector will have that capability. Now they are talking about 8K TV's which is ridiculous but that's where it's going. The picture will eventually be better than the human eye which is about 16K from what I read with all the color capability to match. In 5 years whatever projector that is on the market will be cannon fodder. TV's are just so cheap. For like 1/4 of the price you can get exceptional state of the art. I just can't do projectors anymore. I have about 4K in crap I can no longer use. Only good thing, I bought a receiver with Sirius. It had just hit the market. I still use it in my home gym. One button though says XM...LOL! Can't use that one.

8 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

It's just hard to keep up with video tech. In five years everything is switching over to ATSC 3.0 so right there, no projector will have that capability. Now they are talking about 8K TV's which is ridiculous but that's where it's going. The picture will eventually be better than the human eye which is about 16K from what I read with all the color capability to match. In 5 years whatever projector that is on the market will be cannon fodder. TV's are just so cheap. For like 1/4 of the price you can get exceptional state of the art. I just can't do projectors anymore. I have about 4K in crap I can no longer use. Only good thing, I bought a receiver with Sirius. It had just hit the market. I still use it in my home gym. One button though says XM...LOL! Can't use that one.

Yea I’m thinking maybe if just doing the tv inside the more I read about the projectors. Still want one for outside though. Been wanting one for years to go with a fire pit 

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

mosquitoes.

Not a problem in the winter. Plus we got a bug zapper along with citronella stuff

3 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Already getting that. Got plenty of money to spare which is why I’m trying to pimp out my house lol 

Guess the wife and the federal taxpayer is being generous huh?

32 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Guess the wife and the federal taxpayer is being generous huh?

????

I have had much better experiences with projectors than people responding in this thread.  You can get a damn good picture qualiity on 100 plus inch screen with a projector for under $600.  Currently the Optoma HD146X is probably your best bet.  It is 1080p, but has great blacks and produces a bright and besutiful image.  The bulb life is at 4,000 hours which will get you several years of heavy viewing.   If you really want 4k video, it will run you about $1500 for something like the Optoma UHD50X.

Certainly light control is important and projectors work best where you don't have a lot of light.   Of course you need a sound system to go with it, but you will end up with a real movie experience in which you are immersed into the film to give you that movie theater experience.  Projector Central is the best and most updated siurce of information for finding the right orojector for your budget.  

On 10/5/2020 at 3:53 AM, jerryskids said:

Hey Digby, when did you buy a house? And get a job?  Honest questions because I thought you were going to not work so you could focus on PA school.  

On 10/5/2020 at 4:06 AM, Djgb13 said:

We bought the house last month. But I don’t have a job cause of PA school. Wife got a better job here and also I get paid to go to school from the military while also having my school paid for (Post 9/11 bill). We actually got lucky with this house. It’s only 2 years old and the previous owners were an older couple (in their 50s) that did a TON of landscaping to the yard and built a nice shed in the back with a ramp and lights. The fridge that came with the house is one my wife’s parent just bought. Exact same model. They said the focker was $6K so we got a nice ass fridge included. I keep finding out more and more about the house while we stay here. Love the place

My point was bragging about "plenty of money to spare" is dooshey at the best of times.

When you didn't even earn any of it and are letting your wife and uncle Sam write the check... Oof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

My point was bragging about "plenty of money to spare" is dooshey at the best of times.

When you didn't even earn any of it and are letting your wife and uncle Sam write the check... Oof.

You don’t know where I got my money or how I earned it. So shut the fock up tool. That’s seriously the douchiest thing to say and do bro. Especially when you compare it to other people here. Guess the retired people here also didn’t earn any of theirs either or the guys who’ve put money away to save when they were working lmfao. Take a timeout and go learn some manners focktard. Oof 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Pelosi isn’t the only one having a meltdown! Lol. 

I strongly recommend this - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-BthgxJLLmIj/p_158VW995ES/Sony-VPL-VW995ES.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=516480936931&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=424631466164&awdv=c&awug=9019441&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckC68OfdAjwBTfhjRqTmOswaLMRFqwvYYBDe4HGbaqoOCX58YFShzVihoC2e4QAvD_BwE

I bought 3.  1 for outside, one for our movie room and one for my mancave.  zero maintenance...no bulb to burn out.  The picture is even better than at the movie theatre.

5 hours ago, jonmx said:

I have had much better experiences with projectors than people responding in this thread.  You can get a damn good picture qualiity on 100 plus inch screen with a projector for under $600.  Currently the Optoma HD146X is probably your best bet.  It is 1080p, but has great blacks and produces a bright and besutiful image.  The bulb life is at 4,000 hours which will get you several years of heavy viewing.   If you really want 4k video, it will run you about $1500 for something like the Optoma UHD50X.

Certainly light control is important and projectors work best where you don't have a lot of light.   Of course you need a sound system to go with it, but you will end up with a real movie experience in which you are immersed into the film to give you that movie theater experience.  Projector Central is the best and most updated siurce of information for finding the right orojector for your budget.  

I’m looking to see if we can’t get one of those pull down screens installed outside. I’ve got a few places I can put one and would rather have that than just hang a sheet up to project it on 

Just now, Gladiators said:

I strongly recommend this - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-BthgxJLLmIj/p_158VW995ES/Sony-VPL-VW995ES.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=516480936931&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=424631466164&awdv=c&awug=9019441&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckC68OfdAjwBTfhjRqTmOswaLMRFqwvYYBDe4HGbaqoOCX58YFShzVihoC2e4QAvD_BwE

I bought 3.  1 for outside, one for our movie room and one for my mancave.  zero maintenance...no bulb to burn out.  The picture is even better than at the movie theatre.

Yea I’m not spending that much over my budget lol 

29 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I’m looking to see if we can’t get one of those pull down screens installed outside. I’ve got a few places I can put one and would rather have that than just hang a sheet up to project it on 

The pull down ones need a backing outside. A light brees will shake it. A sheet compromises the picture and again the wind issue. You could probably just build one for cheap. They have special paint for a screen.

12 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Save the money and buy a lawn mower

He’ll need an edger to go around that fire pit as well.  :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

The pull down ones need a backing outside. A light brees will shake it. A sheet compromises the picture and again the wind issue. You could probably just build one for cheap. They have special paint for a screen.

Yea I’ve got a shed I was thinking of installing it on. I’ve got to see if that would even be a good idea.