Sign in to follow this  
TBayXXXVII

Vampire Leagues

Just read a Mathew Berry article and he brought up the idea of a Vampire League.  Did anyone ever play in one of these?  Seems like the Vampire has the best shot at winning, no?

3 minutes ago, pipeman said:

Axe Elf kind of pioneered what they are now calling "vampire leagues" back in 2012, when he placed third in a 10-team league after choosing his team from the free agents left over after all the other teams had drafted.

This new version sounds even easier, though, because the other 9 teams aren't allowed to use the waiver wire all season (Axe Elf received first waiver priority each week, but the other teams were slotted in behind him in the usual order), and if the "vampire" team wins, they get to select a player from the defeated team's roster!

Axe Elf would finish first every time with those kinds of perks.

1 hour ago, nobody said:

It would probably help if you defined what a vampire league is.

Sorry, I thought I was late to this thing.  From what I read, I was one of few who never heard about it.

Seems to me that the "Vampire" is likely to lose the first 2 or 3 weeks, unless he gets lucky, and will be able to build a reasonably competitive team going forward.   He'll be able to get all of the good pickups, no one can upgrade their team, and after a couple of wins, will be able to poach some star players.  Seems like the odds are stacked on the Vamps side.  Just curious if anyone played in one of these and had a real-life experience.

I agree TBay. I think I'd like to explore getting in one next year.

On 10/15/2020 at 2:51 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

Seems to me that the "Vampire" is likely to lose the first 2 or 3 weeks...

In my season, I went 0-4 in the first quarter (but then, my opponents also had access to waivers, just after my #1 pick).

I then went 3-1 in each of the next two quarters, before a Week 13 win slipped me into the playoffs at 7-6 (but again, I wasn't able to "vampire" players from my vanquished teams).  I won the opening round of the playoffs, lost in the Semifinals (by 6 points) and then went on to win the 3rd place game with a score higher than either of the teams in the Championship game.  So I basically came 7 points from winning it all, without all the perks of these modern Vampire leagues.

That league is way too tilted to the vampire.  It's also a huge advantage to play the vampire early in the season as that when the team should be weakest and you shouldn't lose a top-tier player.

22 hours ago, nobody said:

That league is way too tilted to the vampire.  It's also a huge advantage to play the vampire early in the season as that when the team should be weakest and you shouldn't lose a top-tier player.

Yeah, the way Matthew Berry describes the rules, definitely.  To not allow the other teams to pick up or trade is just gift wrapping the league to the vampire.  If I played the vampire team if I had an injury or during bye weeks, I'm totally benching all of my good players.

I don’t know why anyone would want to do a league like this. The idea of competition is that everyone plays by the same rules. Here, you intentionally have two sets of rules - the vampire and then everyone else.

Let’s all go to work!  Everyone gets paid a flat salary, but we’ll pick one person to get paid a commission. Everyone game? Doubtful. 

Or, let’s go to dinner. Everyone on the team gets to pick from the menu. One person only gets to pick what’s left, what hasn’t been picked. But, they eat for free. Wanna do it? Doubtful. 

On 10/15/2020 at 2:42 PM, AxeElf said:

Axe Elf kind of pioneered what they are now calling "vampire leagues" back in 2012, when he placed third in a 10-team league after choosing his team from the free agents left over after all the other teams had drafted.

This new version sounds even easier, though, because the other 9 teams aren't allowed to use the waiver wire all season (Axe Elf received first waiver priority each week, but the other teams were slotted in behind him in the usual order), and if the "vampire" team wins, they get to select a player from the defeated team's roster!

Axe Elf would finish first every time with those kinds of perks.

Dobbie doesn't like vampires. Dobbie just wants to help Harry Potter's team win.