tubby_mcgee

Anyone here ever get granted a patent?

Something I've thought about.  Its not on the market.   Someone had a patent on it, but apparently "abandoned" it in 2012.  (let it expire or whatever).

Just wondering if anyone here has dealt with this sort of thing. 

No.....the process is ridiculous

20 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

That's what I was thinking.

Anyway..my kid...halfback... 9th grader....only 9th grader that dresses for varsity, mind you.:)  ... does not wear long sleeves for games. Gonna be 40 actual temp tomorrow night.  Real Feel probably 30 something.  He says " too slippery".  I get it.

Tried finding long sleeve shirt with tacky built into sleeves.  Does. Not. Exist.  Blew my mind. 

Only the sleeves.

If you put a sleeve over a long sleeve shirt...it would rotate and get focked up, etc.

Next best thing would be mom sewing tacky sleeves (available) onto long sleeve shirt (available) to make long sleeve tacky forearm shirt. 

Anyway, the patent part....if ya ever got it to market.... cold weather football states.

SO...update...here is the expired patent:  https://patents.google.com/patent/US20120297517A1/en

After searching I see that Under Armour has a patent on something similar (main purpose is padding I think):  https://patents.google.com/patent/US7748056B2/en

Anyway.... I actually started looking last year, and now its cold again, so I looked again tonight. 

Blows my mind that it does not exist. I'd think some big company would make it.  Or little company.  Market must be too small. 

Just now, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I have had a patent pending for 8 years

on what?

Just now, tubby_mcgee said:

on what?

Ill try to explain, you know the paddle on a gambling table that pushes the money in the box?  Well I created a paddle that has a built in counterfeit detector and a push button for scanning bills

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Ill try to explain, you know the paddle on a gambling table that pushes the money in the box?  Well I created a paddle that has a built in counterfeit detector and a push button for scanning bills

Ahh...okay.

Pending for 8 years? jeez.

I’ve had 4 patents issued from work at a large tech company; they handled the logistics of filing but I was involved with the process.  A few thoughts:

- Document your idea in an engineering notebook and have it witnessed.  I presume if you google you can see how to do this; if I recall there is a specific way of doing it which is preferred.  You don’t need all of the details or perfection, more on that later.  But this establishes and records a date for your idea.  Should someone else file a similar patent afterward you have some protections.

- Talk to a patent agent.  A patent agent is somebody who passed the certification for filing patents.  You don’t need a full patent attorney unless you go to court.  There should be some available for contract work.

- The agent will typically submit the application at as high a level as possible, then peel the onion down.  For instance, in RHR’s case, the agent may attempt to patent a paddle, then a gambling paddle, then an electronic gambling paddle, etc... the onus is on the patent office to delete stuff, not add it.  A cardinal sin of patent applications is to under-apply.

- Specific implementation details in a patent are typically described using phrases like “in the preferred embodiment,” which means “here is how we implemented it but it could be done in other ways.”  It is more to show a practicality vs limiting the patent to your specific way of implementing the idea.

Anyway, good luck and HTH.  :cheers:

6 hours ago, Big Guy said:

This. My mom was going to patent something years ago but the process was absolutely ridiculous and expensive 

I got my dumb question, if you're playing football, why would you want to be extra sticky? I guess it maybe you're trying to catch the ball with your forearms. But when the down side B you make it easier on the Defenders to grab and latch onto you?

I know a guy who invented table Jacks for uneven tables. Basically, no more shoveling sugar packets underneath the tables constantly.

Dude was serious about it. You can see him on Shark Tank via YouTube. Went to industry shows landed some pretty big contracts. You can probably Google it. I hope he's doing well.

But yeah, when it came to actual production, he's about as Redneck as it gets and even he had to use the Chinese to be profitable.

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I got my dumb question, if you're playing football, why would you want to be extra sticky? I guess it maybe you're trying to catch the ball with your forearms. But when the down side B you make it easier on the Defenders to grab and latch onto you?

Uh. 

No.  Same principle as gloves. 

Hence the reason they make sticky forearm covers.

Just not integrated into a shirt.