Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Anyone ever shop at the airport

Flying to Nebraska this morning for my BIL wedding this weekend. In the airport you see all kinds of shops and restaurants. Anyone ever actually do shopping at those stores? 

One time I bought a bottle of water and a bag of pretzels from the news store at PHL.

• Sad 1

Yes - emergency wardrobe on a few trips; a very cool local artists shop In Albuquerque; plenty of duty free Scotch overseas; and a desperation haircut in Dallas.  Plenty of massages too.  But not sure how many airport stores will be open now.  Btw, airport store prices for larger items are usually similar to the same you’d pay at a regular store ... just rarely any discounts in my experience.  Or if there is a “deal” it’s only to bring things back to what you’d typically pay.   

Just now, frank said:

I like to stop at the duty free shop. 

ONLY place I usually will look for stuff besides food. I like to browse their alcohol collection and see if there’s something I want to take home that I can’t get regularly 

It sounds like you do not fly a whole lot, I have not flown much either the past 6 years. Nothing wrong with being grounded.

I did fly a fair bit for a few years, both internationally and domestically and since my company made me take the cheapest flights I had ridiculous layovers(12 hours in Doha, one of the crappiest airports in the world). There are specific stores in specific airports that are pretty decent for shopping, for example a great chocolate store in Amsterdam. But these are the exception to the rule.

I have flown out of Charleston airport before, and of course, no shopping there. The possible layovers that you will have, either Chicago or Denver, also both suck for shopping.

Men buy cigarettes and booze. Even if you don’t drink or smoke. At international airports when you are flying overseas. Digby doesn’t seem like an international traveler. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It sounds like you do not fly a whole lot, I have not flown much either the past 6 years. Nothing wrong with being grounded.

I did fly a fair bit for a few years, both internationally and domestically and since my company made me take the cheapest flights I had ridiculous layovers(12 hours in Doha, one of the crappiest airports in the world). There are specific stores in specific airports that are pretty decent for shopping, for example a great chocolate store in Amsterdam. But these are the exception to the rule.

I have flown out of Charleston airport before, and of course, no shopping there. The possible layovers that you will have, either Chicago or Denver, also both suck for shopping.

I’ve actually flown quite a bit. I just never shop at the stores in the airport. Always seem overpriced and I usually don’t have room in my suitcase for stuff :dunno: 

Yes!  Any time I leave town for multiple days, I have a co-worker stop by my house and check on my cats---and as thank you I get her a gift(snow globes, pewter buildings, deck of cards) from the local airport.  She has a bunch of crap celebrating the town she has lived in her entire life on her shelf at work.  I'm thoughtful that way.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

Yes!  Any time I leave town for multiple days, I have a co-worker stop by my house and check on my cats---and as thank you I get her a gift from the local airport.  She has a bunch of crap celebrating the town she has lived in her entire life on her shelf at work.  I'm ghey that way.

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve actually flown quite a bit. I just never shop at the stores in the airport. Always seem overpriced and I usually don’t have room in my suitcase for stuff :dunno: 

Flying quite a bit is relative. For example I still fly 1-3 times a year and I think of that as not flying much. There are people out there who have flown in 2 months what you have flown in a lifetime.

I was flying every other week for 2 years on long distance flights, and there were still people in my company that put me to shame as far as flights are concerned. Getting the top rank of multiple airline rewards, etc.

There is nothing wrong with not flying, that is a crappy lifestyle, and all those people end up divorced. I am just trying to put it in perspective.

I make a checklist before travel so rarely need anything in those stores. There are mainly two types of shoppers in airports. People who forget crap and people who buy crap. Usually some stupid gift for someone that the person doesn't even want.

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

5/10

Joke was there, you took it, but not your best work.  ;)

It’s early. 

Where I bought my Rolex

Just now, edjr said:

Where I bought my Rolex

Because you didn’t have one? 

It depends.

In the first world, hell no. Everything is ridiculously overpriced.

The exception would be bookstores. Often you can find cool local things in airport bookstores. Local history and such.

But give me a good third world airport, and hell yeah.

My favorite airport in asia is the Manila Airport. I get there early. Have a nice meal, go get a massage, and then go sit in a bar where you can smoke and pound red horse (a very strong beer) before my flight. All cheap as hell.

I hate the Hong Kong Airport, which is where I usually fly in and out of. If you want to buy a $25k watch, you have numerous options. A bottle of focking water, not so much.

I buy the wife and kids shirts, toys or other crap when flying home from a business trip. That's about it.

Before the COVID I was flying 90-100 segments a year.  I have purchased ties and belts out of necessity. 

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Flying quite a bit is relative. For example I still fly 1-3 times a year and I think of that as not flying much. There are people out there who have flown in 2 months what you have flown in a lifetime.

I was flying every other week for 2 years on long distance flights, and there were still people in my company that put me to shame as far as flights are concerned. Getting the top rank of multiple airline rewards, etc.

There is nothing wrong with not flying, that is a crappy lifestyle, and all those people end up divorced. I am just trying to put it in perspective.

Yea I was thinking that. I’ve flown more than the average person let’s just say that. 

• Haha 1

When we go to Mexico, my wife always has to pick up a piece of Mexican Black Clay Oaxacan Pottery. 

11 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yea I was thinking that. I’ve flown more than the average person let’s just say that. 

Your question was about commercial flying, not private jets. 

4 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

When we go to Mexico, my wife always has to pick up a piece of Mexican Black Clay Oaxacan Pottery. 

We picked up something similar in Jamaica but it wasn’t at the airport lol 

As a rule I don’t; back when I flew a lot most of my flights were domestic with few connections so I didn’t have to kill a lot of time for layovers.  Two exceptions were a Brooks Brothers sport coat and a small Tumi bag for electronics cords, both of which caught my eye and both of which were things I had been in the market for.  As someone earlier intimated, prices were fair “regular” prices but not super sales/discounts.  Of course there is the occasional “oh crap we didn’t get anything for that person looking after our cat” or “oh crap I forgot [insert toiletry or charger]” purchase as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

While I did not do a lot of shopping, I loved the European airports and train stations while waiting between connections.

as for purchases, before internet I would buy magazines or books for trips.  Not much else

5 hours ago, frank said:

I like to stop at the duty free shop. 

Great place to buy gourmet chocolates!

:banana:

Just found out you can’t buy certain alcohol at the duty free unless you’re traveling outside the country. Don’t see the point of selling it here in America then 😒

You would be amazed at how cheaply you can pick up a 737 Max these days. Honestly, it's cheaper than trying to fly first class.

• Haha 1

One time, I was flying cross country and we stopped in Atlanta. I had to crap so bad I you could barely stand up without oh, well you know.. But no way in hell was I going to do it in the airplane closetbox.

I had heard about this doody-free place in the airport....

25 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

One time, I was flying cross country and we stopped in Atlanta. I had to crap so bad I you could barely stand up without oh, well you know.. But no way in hell was I going to do it in the airplane closetbox.

I had heard about this doody-free place in the airport....

You are so messed up.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Hand said:

You are so messed up.

What is wrong with him?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Just found out you can’t buy certain alcohol at the duty free unless you’re traveling outside the country. Don’t see the point of selling it here in America then 😒

I didn’t know you could buy ANY alcohol in a duty free shop if you aren’t traveling internationally.  What kind of booze can you buy?

The only “regular” liquor store I’ve ever seen in an American airport is in Vegas.  Because... well, it’s Vegas.  I imagine that Reno may be similar but I haven’t flown there.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

I didn’t know you could buy ANY alcohol in a duty free shop if you aren’t traveling internationally.  What kind of booze can you buy?

The only “regular” liquor store I’ve ever seen in an American airport is in Vegas.  Because... well, it’s Vegas.  I imagine that Reno may be similar but I haven’t flown there.

Actually I don’t know if it’s a duty free or not. Just a liquor store. That’s prob my bad. But yea, couldn’t buy certain Johnny walker unless you were traveling internationally 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Actually I don’t know if it’s a duty free or not. Just a liquor store. That’s prob my bad. But yea, couldn’t buy certain Johnny walker unless you were traveling internationally 

Interesting, I wonder why?  Perhaps there are some versions that they aren’t allowed to sell in an airport because of alcohol content?   Do you remember which kind?

Just now, jerryskids said:

Interesting, I wonder why?  Perhaps there are some versions that they aren’t allowed to sell in an airport because of alcohol content?   Do you remember which kind?

I’m not sure why honestly. I saw the same Johnny walker bottles when we went to Jamaica so I wanted to grab these. Lady said unless I have a ticket proving I’m traveling out of the country I can’t purchase them :dunno: 

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Because he is lying. Itsatip