Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Future Stud Alert - 2020 Edition

Graham Mertz, redshirt freshman QB for Wisconsin, was last seen throwing 5 TDs to win the MVP of the All-American Bowl after his senior season in 2018.  I know this because he's from Blue Valley North High School in Overland Park here in the Kansas City metro.

As a true freshman in 2019, Mertz threw ten passes for the Badgers before redshirting.  The first one fell incomplete.  The remaining 9 were completed.

Tonight, Mertz started with 17 straight completions, tying a single-game Wisconsin record, and completing a stretch of 26 straight completions going back to last season.  He threw 4 TDs in the first half, and tied another single-game school record with a 5th TD pass late in the game.  This was only the second time in Lovie Smith's career (college and pro) that his defense had surrendered 5 pass TDs to an opposing QB.

Mertz finished the game 20/21 for 248 yards, setting yet a third single-game school record with a 95.2% completion rate.  He had no INTs.

So basically one game, three school records tied or broken!

Russell Wilson isn't going to be the best QB from Wisconsin any more...

I'll be at harrah's in the North land tomorrow if you want to grab a beer

6 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

I'll be at harrah's in the North land tomorrow if you want to grab a beer

Do you play poker?  Harrah's is the only place around here that has opened up their poker room again, and although playing in a mask probly won't be fun for very long, I've been thinking of going up there one of these days just because I miss playing so much.

Probly won't this weekend though; the Supermodel had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago Monday, and I probly shouldn't leave her home alone for another week or two.

I don't like losing money so I lose money at craps usually

The kid definitely has swagger... the last few years WI has had national championship caliber Ds and Oline, but has been sub par at the QB position... it will be interesting to see how far they can go with a solid QB... assuming a blowout in a revenge game against a mediocre opponent means anything.

10 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Do you play poker?  Harrah's is the only place around here that has opened up their poker room again, and although playing in a mask probly won't be fun for very long, I've been thinking of going up there one of these days just because I miss playing so much.

Probly won't this weekend though; the Supermodel had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago Monday, and I probly shouldn't leave her home alone for another week or two.

I do and I miss it too, but I just can't risk getting the covid. Our poker room here is open but I've had 4 stents in my heart since 2008 and almost been hospitalized from Pneumonia from the regular flu twice in the past 4 years, so I'm not going to risk it. Sucks. I used to supplement my income from it, I miss that extra dough lol.

2 hours ago, rallo said:

The kid definitely has swagger... the last few years WI has had national championship caliber Ds and Oline, but has been sub par at the QB position... it will be interesting to see how far they can go with a solid QB...

I kinda think that may be part of why they redshirted him last season--they knew they were going to get one more year out of milking Jonathan Taylor and wouldn't need to waste a year of their new Ace QB.  I don't know any of that for sure, though; pure speculation.

2 hours ago, rallo said:

assuming a blowout in a revenge game against a mediocre opponent means anything.

Time will tell how mediocre Illinois truly is, but I thought it was impressive that this was only the second time in his career that a Lovie Smith defense had surrendered 5 passing TDs to an opposing QB, at ANY level (college or pro)--and it was in Mertz' first game as a starting college QB.

Well he's about to face a Nebraska defense that will be missing 2 key defensive starters for the first half due to some bizarre 2nd half targeting calls... their pass D looks horrible anyway. Prop bets for 3+TDs in the first half for Mertz look promising. 

Calling it now. 

Najee Jerome Harris will be the next great NFL RB and FF superstar.

:unsure:

3 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Najee Jerome Harris will be the next great NFL RB and FF superstar.

Bold call.  If it happens, he'll be the first Alabama RB to ever have any impact in the NFL.*

*this century, other than Henry, Ingram, Lacy, Yeldon, Alexander, and Richardson.

Unfortunately, Wisconsin’s schedule is weak sauce. They don’t play anyone currently ranked in the top 15. We might not know how good the kid axually is till next year. Until he plays an Ohio State, it doesn’t mean all that much...

35 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If it happens, he'll be the first Alabama RB to ever have any impact in the NFL.*

*this century, other than Henry, Ingram, Lacy, Yeldon, Alexander, and Richardson.

Don't forget the Drake.

Love the Drake!

1 hour ago, stonewall said:

Don't forget the Drake.

Love the Drake!

I was going to say that Drake hasn't had an impact in the NFL, but then I remembered how I lost last weekend, so, ok, Drake.

Back to Mertz, I thought it was kind of interesting when they were talking during the broadcast last night about how he lives like five miles from Mahomes, and they've developed kind of a mentorship/friendship.  Mahomes tweeted about Mertz "going crazy" in the first half last night.

More Twitter Reactions

And his Wisconsin back up has also tested positive for the mandemic 

On 10/23/2020 at 11:23 PM, AxeElf said:

Graham Mertz, redshirt freshman QB for Wisconsin, was last seen throwing 5 TDs to win the MVP of the All-American Bowl after his senior season in 2018.  I know this because he's from Blue Valley North High School in Overland Park here in the Kansas City metro.

As a true freshman in 2019, Mertz threw ten passes for the Badgers before redshirting.  The first one fell incomplete.  The remaining 9 were completed.

Tonight, Mertz started with 17 straight completions, tying a single-game Wisconsin record, and completing a stretch of 26 straight completions going back to last season.  He threw 4 TDs in the first half, and tied another single-game school record with a 5th TD pass late in the game.  This was only the second time in Lovie Smith's career (college and pro) that his defense had surrendered 5 pass TDs to an opposing QB.

Mertz finished the game 20/21 for 248 yards, setting yet a third single-game school record with a 95.2% completion rate.  He had no INTs.

So basically one game, three school records tied or broken!

Russell Wilson isn't going to be the best QB from Wisconsin any more...

Good to know, thanks for sharing....I didn't know Axe was a KC man....you grow up in the area or transplant?  

2 hours ago, Canadianfan said:

Hearing he’s out this week with covid 

And Big 10 protocols will require him to miss 3 weeks.  When the season's only 8 weeks to start with, that's a lot!  I guess I'll have to wait another year to watch our KC product tear up the Big 10...

Oh well, I guess Trevor Lawrence can have his Heisman after all.

I don't know much about him, but the fact he couldn't beat out Coan gives me hesitation to completely buy in. I'll need to see him against someone other than Illinois before I jump on the bandwagon. 

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

And Big 10 protocols will require him to miss 3 weeks.  When the season's only 8 weeks to start with, that's a lot!  I guess I'll have to wait another year to watch our KC product tear up the Big 10...

Oh well, I guess Trevor Lawrence can have his Heisman after all.

3 weeks is overkill.  That needs to be changed.

1 hour ago, rallo said:

Looked like hot garbage tonight... go Hawks!

Wow, kid had no preseason, looked like the Big 10 wasn't going to play at all, had a head-turning opening game, got COVID, missed three weeks, much of the rest of the team got COVID, no continuity in practice, played in 5 total games this season, 3 of the last 4 on the road, and all 3 of his last 3 games against ranked opponents.

Way to kick a guy when he's down.

I'll give him a 2020 mulligan and a full offseason as the starting QB before I write him off.

He'll be fine, just felt good as a Hawkeye fan to get off the schnide against the Badgers

12 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Wow, kid had no preseason, looked like the Big 10 wasn't going to play at all, had a head-turning opening game, got COVID, missed three weeks, much of the rest of the team got COVID, no continuity in practice, played in 5 total games this season, 3 of the last 4 on the road, and all 3 of his last 3 games against ranked opponents.

Way to kick a guy when he's down.

I'll give him a 2020 mulligan and a full offseason as the starting QB before I write him off.

So this future stud, who caused you to say "Russell Wilson isn't going to be the best QB from Wisconsin any more"... finished his college season with a 59.5 QBR, good for 69th in the nation? Good call. Almost as good as your Cee dee Lamb call, who finished the fantasy regular season as WR 28 in half ppr. 0-2 Gnome, Next!

- Listen to the Elf and you'll trip all over yourself....

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

So this future stud, who caused you to say "Russell Wilson isn't going to be the best QB from Wisconsin any more"... finished his college season with a 59.5 QBR, good for 69th in the nation? Good call. Almost as good as your Cee dee Lamb call, who finished the fantasy regular season as WR 28 in half ppr. 0-2 Gnome, Next!

- Listen to the Elf and you'll trip all over yourself....

Too funny.  You misspelled your handle on here; it should be "joke."

Seriously, though... Did you have a single post this season that added useful content, and wasn't some kind of manufactured posturing?  Yeah, I thought not...

When you're done blustering out another nonsense response, look up the meaning of the word, "future."

8 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Too funny.  You misspelled your handle on here; it should be "joke."

Seriously, though... Did you have a single post this season that added useful content, and wasn't some kind of manufactured posturing?  Yeah, I thought not...

When you're done blustering out another nonsense response, look up the meaning of the word, "future."

I post many useful things over the course of the season. Check the record. You just don't like that someone actually holds you accountable for all your self-promotion, which as I continually show, is worthless... Whose your next future stud, that is mostly mediocre. Can't wait for it Gnome...

22 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I post many useful things over the course of the season. Check the record. You just don't like that someone actually holds you accountable for all your self-promotion, which as I continually show, is worthless... Whose your next future stud, that is mostly mediocre. Can't wait for it Gnome...

Axe Elf enjoys being held responsible for his wisdom--but being held responsible for internet twits' inability to comprehend anything other than their own seething jealousy gets tedious.

CeeDee Lamb, Axe Elf's Future Stud of 2019, was a top 12 WR in all formats in his first 5 games as a rookie before Ben DeNucci became his QB.  Hold me responsible for that, by all means.

The jury's still out on Axe Elf's Future Stud of 2020, seeing as how it's not the future yet (but I think we all know how it will turn out).  Hold me responsible again, by all means--but hold your horses first.

There are always a myriad of excuses and shifting of goalposts whenever your predictions go awry, as they so often do. At least you are amusing and THAT is your only real utility in this forearm...

After 3 years of tolerating those losers at Wisconsin, Graham Mertz is transferring to Florida, where he can resume his superstud career arc (and where the hotties aren't wearing fur coats at this time of year).

On 10/24/2020 at 10:15 AM, cmh6476 said:

I don't like losing money so I lose money at craps usually

Pass line and come with odds ...I've started with 2-300 and on 5 different occasions left with 10-20k 

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

After 3 years of tolerating those losers at Wisconsin, Graham Mertz is transferring to Florida, where he can resume his superstud career arc (and where the hotties aren't wearing fur coats at this time of year).

Graham Mertz is hot garbage, and all of Wisconsin is thrilled to be rid of him.