Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Rookie stash

Who are the unproductive rookies you have stashed away in hope that some day they might be relevant? For this season or next.

I drafted all 3 of the top rookie WRs for my dynasty team.

That would be Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, and CeeDee Lamb.

I don't plan on cutting any of the 3 loose after this season.

I think all have shown some promise.

Lamb was really looking good, putting up borderline WR1 numbers, locked into my starting lineup, when Dak went down, and he's pretty much been worthless since due to having no QB.

Jeudy has had his moments but he's not on the best team. They've had some QB issues as well to go along with rookie WR growing pains. He has a lot of potential.

Ruggs has had issues with injuries and inconsistency, but he has shown flashes of being a top notch deep threat. In a league that gives big bonuses to long TDs, he's a keeper.

I have Justin Herbert at QB too, but he's my starter for now, and I don't see that changing

I think Tyler Johnson could be pretty good next year.  Chris Godwin is a free agent this offseason if he gets some god father offer from another team, he might leave.

Of course, TB has a ton of cap space so I'd say they'll probably sign him considering they only have Shaq Barrett and Lavonte David as priority free agents.  I know they like to collect pass catchers too since for some weird reason they kept OJ Howard around to not use him instead of letting him go somewhere he'd actually play.

I'm taking flyer on AJ Dillon more for next season. GB has a 2nd invested in him. Plus Jones is a UFA and he's gonna want to get paid.  

5 hours ago, polecatt said:

I drafted all 3 of the top rookie WRs for my dynasty team.

That would be Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, and CeeDee Lamb.

I don't plan on cutting any of the 3 loose after this season.

I think all have shown some promise.

Lamb was really looking good, putting up borderline WR1 numbers, locked into my starting lineup, when Dak went down, and he's pretty much been worthless since due to having no QB.

Jeudy has had his moments but he's not on the best team. They've had some QB issues as well to go along with rookie WR growing pains. He has a lot of potential.

Ruggs has had issues with injuries and inconsistency, but he has shown flashes of being a top notch deep threat. In a league that gives big bonuses to long TDs, he's a keeper.

I have Justin Herbert at QB too, but he's my starter for now, and I don't see that changing

How the heck did you get those 3 guys in a single rookie draft?

15 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

How the heck did you get those 3 guys in a single rookie draft?

I had several high picks and people were shying away from rookie WRs and picking old vets instead

18 hours ago, nobody said:

I think Tyler Johnson could be pretty good next year.  Chris Godwin is a free agent this offseason if he gets some god father offer from another team, he might leave.

Of course, TB has a ton of cap space so I'd say they'll probably sign him considering they only have Shaq Barrett and Lavonte David as priority free agents.  I know they like to collect pass catchers too since for some weird reason they kept OJ Howard around to not use him instead of letting him go somewhere he'd actually play.

Apparently, your definition of "a ton of cap space" and mine are clearly 2 different definitions.  Assuming $7M for draft picks, the Bucs are looking at about $25M in cap space.  They also have to sign Shaq Barrett too.  I'm assuming you believe the Bucs are going to be cutting a lot of people.

25 million is a decent amount to play with.  And I said they need to sign Shaq and Lavonte.  

Do you think Godwin is a surefire goner or do you agree he probably resigns and you're one of those people that needs to tell people they're wrong all the time?

1 hour ago, nobody said:

25 million is a decent amount to play with.  And I said they need to sign Shaq and Lavonte.  

Do you think Godwin is a surefire goner or do you agree he probably resigns and you're one of those people that needs to tell people they're wrong all the time?

I only tell people they're wrong, when they are wrong.  Virtually everything I post about Tampa proves to be right.  I know my team.  Other teams?  That's a different story as I don't follow them as closely.

I know the coaches and their game planning... but what the GM does, that's a different story.  He's not good at his job and it shows every year... even this year.  Bringing in Brady is great, but lets look at this realistically... Brady signed with the Bucs, the Bucs didn't sign Brady.  Brady saw an offense with talent that he could win with.  He saw an improving defense that could hold leads.  The thing is, depth is tragically low.  That's why they needed to sign McCoy (who sucks by the way).  It's why they needed to sign Fournette, who really isn't any better than Jones... and when they did sign him, they cut the wrong RB.  He should have cut McCoy and not Ogunbowale.

Gronk picked Tampa because Brady did.  That had nothing to do with the GM.  That said, we have a TE who's always hurt making $4M this year and $6M next year.  We have another TE who's making $7M to sit on the bench.  We're paying $21M to 3 TE's and only one of them has any real value and he's not even worth his $10M... let alone $21M.

On defense, the DLine depth is terrible.  They lost Vea and now there's really nothing left.  Any loss to any other player on the line and their pass rush goes from great to mediocre.

That's why our GM sucks.  This is the person who's going to be in charge of the off-season unfortunately, so I'm not really sure what he's going to do.  David, Barrett, and Godwin probably have a market value of about $45M combined.  I don't see $25M as a ton of cap space when you need to come up with $15M.  Now, Tampa does have some options to free up space.  They can move Wirfs from RT to LT and release Donavan Smith and save $14M because he isn't very good and really overpaid.  They could cut Ryan Jensen and save another $10M because like Smith, he's overpaid.  Freeing up $24M would certainly help, but that would create a need to add a C and RT, which will either cost money in FA (taking a chunk of that savings), or draft capital will be needed.  All of this on top of the fact that they're going to only have 2 RB's on the roster at season's end because neither McCoy nor Fournette should be back.  If you are of the mindset (like some here), who believe that Fournette is the better RB, then that's another what, $5 or $6M they need to come up with?  Oh, and they're going to need to add another DT to replace Suh, who will be a free agent.

Our GM spent the last 6 seasons hiring and firing bad coaches and drafting/signing a lot of bad players, which caused a need to over pay free agents just to be terrible in those 6 seasons.  Coming into this season, the Bucs under his watch built a team that was 34-62 and finished 4th in the division in 4 of those seasons.  So, do I think $25M is a enough cap space for him?  Absolutely not.  So, I have no real idea who he's going to re-sign.

To me, the right thing to do is to re-sign Barrett and Godwin and let Suh, Fournette, & David walk.  I'd release both Jensen and Smith.  In the draft, find an OL and DL replacement for Suh and Smith and sign an experienced C who's actually worth their money and two decent RB's for depth.

What do I think Jason Licht will do?  Let Godwin and David walk, keep both Jensen and Smith and spend his first two picks on a WR and RB.

Okay, so you agree with my post.  TB will likely sign Godwin.  

They have plenty enough cap space.  Godwin, David, and Barret probably have about 45 million combined market cap, but all you need to do is put money into the signing bonuses so it gets spread over the life of the contract and reduce the 1st year base salary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I only tell people they're wrong, when they are wrong.  Virtually everything I post about Tampa proves to be right.  I know my team.  Other teams?  That's a different story as I don't follow them as closely.

What your opinion of KeShawn Vaughn? Is he a rookie stash for next year?

14 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

What your opinion of KeShawn Vaughn? Is he a rookie stash for next year?

If you have the spot, sure.  It's hard to tell because he doesn't play much.  If they re-sign Fournette, which I have no idea what's going to happen there, then Vaughn hasn't impressed.  If they let Fournette walk, then that's a good sign for Vaughn.  With no off-season or pre-season games, there was never a chance to see Vaughn play.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nobody said:

Okay, so you agree with my post.  TB will likely sign Godwin.  

They have plenty enough cap space.  Godwin, David, and Barret probably have about 45 million combined market cap, but all you need to do is put money into the signing bonuses so it gets spread over the life of the contract and reduce the 1st year base salary.

No, I don't agree with you.  I said: "What do I think Jason Licht will do?  Let Godwin and David walk...".

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, I don't agree with you.  I said: "What do I think Jason Licht will do?  Let Godwin and David walk...".

So Tyler Johnson for the win.  You agree.  Thanks.

34 minutes ago, nobody said:

So Tyler Johnson for the win.  You agree.  Thanks.

Not sure about that either.  I think they draft another WR, as I said in my prior post, in the 1st or 2nd round.  I think that because he lets Godwin walk, he's going to want to have a lot of talent for Brady.  I can even see the Bucs taking a WR in both the 1st and 2nd rounds.  That way, they have someone to replace Evans after 2021 when Brady retires.

It's hard to gauge Jason Licht.  As I said, he's a bad GM.  He's made a lot of picks I've disagreed with.  I'm not perfect, but his .354 win% is evidence that he's far from that as well.  Now in his defense, Winston is a big part of that, but he drafted him.  I think he really screwed the pooch in his first draft.  He hit on Evans, but I remember being around a bunch of friends watching that draft and saying that the Bucs need to move up and take Derek Carr.  Licht waited, Carr went a few picks before the Bucs in the 2nd round and then he takes Austin Seferian-Jenkins.  :doh:

He missed on every pick that draft, outside of Evans.

Tampa's roster construction is set up for a 1-year run and "hope" for a 2nd year.  I don't think anyone should make long-term fantasy decisions based on the current (or even next years), roster.  If you're in a keeper or dynasty league, you're playing with fire if you spend any premium picks or roster spots on young players.

Van Jefferson... maybe the fastest WR of the class and 6'2" as well... the rams didn't pick him in the 2nd round to ride the pine forever... 2nd or 3rd year breakout candidate. Seems like a guy McVay would try and get involved in multiple ways 

1 hour ago, rallo said:

Van Jefferson... maybe the fastest WR of the class and 6'2" as well... the rams didn't pick him in the 2nd round to ride the pine forever... 2nd or 3rd year breakout candidate. Seems like a guy McVay would try and get involved in multiple ways 

I have him on my "watch list" in my keeper league.  He's going to be a guy that I expect will go unnoticed by my league mates and I can pick him up off waivers before seasons end.

I got 1 guy for each position.

QB - Jalen Hurts

RB - Keshawn Vaughn

WR - Van Jefferson 

:bench::pointstosky:

And a wildcard

RB - Eno Benjamin