Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Turkey day work arounds

So, let's say it's just you. Or you and the mrs. Or mr.

You don't feel like doing the whole turkey day thing. There's not going to be a massive family gathering. You can pretty much eat whatever the hell you want to eat.

What would you order as a treat for that day? I mean, anything from Lou Malnati's to Jose stone crabs.

What would you Google and or order online as a treat for that day?

21 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Holy sh!t. I'm doing that this weekend. Thx 

25 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Holy sh!t. I'm doing that this weekend. Thx 

In lieu of truffle oil, I have used sliced mushrooms.

Go extra on the aborio rice.  I usually do 2 cups

Go extra on the chicken stock.  I add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of water to it.

It should be an almost runny texture.  

Its focking awesome.

• Thanks 1

Turkey is nowhere near my favorite food, but I would still do the turkey and trimmings, because I associate that with Thanksgiving and fond memories. :dunno:

12 hours ago, wiffleball said:

So, let's say it's just you. Or you and the mrs. Or mr.

You don't feel like doing the whole turkey day thing. There's not going to be a massive family gathering. You can pretty much eat whatever the hell you want to eat.

What would you order as a treat for that day? I mean, anything from Lou Malnati's to Jose stone crabs.

What would you Google and or order online as a treat for that day?

I never make turkey on Thanks Giving.  Don't care for it much.

In our household we usually make a Lebanese feast.

Meat pies

Spinach Pies

Kibbeh  

Lamb and beans

Flat bread with garlic sauce (Toum)

Stuffed grape leaves

Tabouli salad

If you don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving you are a communist piece of crap and deserve to be choked to death with an American flag and your corpse should be paraded down the street while everyone cheers.

With the exception of my brother-in-law, everyone who attends our Thanksgiving lives with 45 minutes of us.   I am considering delivering full Thanksgiving meals to anyone who is not comfortable attending our house.  

Just now, fricker66 said:

With the exception of my brother-in-law, everyone who attends our Thanksgiving lives with 45 minutes of us.   I am considering delivering full Thanksgiving meals to anyone who is not comfortable attending our house.  

I'm not comfortable attending.  Neither are the dozen people coming over my house and will be ready to eat at approximately 2:30pm.  One has a nut allergy.  TIA.

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

I'm not comfortable attending.  Neither are the dozen people coming over my house and will be ready to eat at approximately 2:30pm.  One has a nut allergy.  TIA.

Cool.  I'll be there at 2:30.  I am adding extra hemlock to my stuffing just for you.

4 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I’m about a 4 hour flight from you but we do have a double oven if you need to reheat some stuff.  :thumbsup:  

6 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

If you don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving you are a communist piece of crap and deserve to be choked to death with an American flag and your corpse should be paraded down the street while everyone cheers.

True Americans eat bald eagle.  

22 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

I never make turkey on Thanks Giving.  Don't care for it much.

In our household we usually make a Lebanese feast.

Meat pies

Spinach Pies

Kibbeh  

FYI, Kibbeh is the name of the handicapped kid on the Israeli version of South Park.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I’m about a 4 hour flight from you but we do have a double oven if you need to reheat some stuff.  :thumbsup:  

I have a 3:55 limit.  Sorry.

8 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I have a 3:55 limit.  Sorry.

If you change your mind, one of my kids is vegan, another a pure carnivore, the most normal eater of the three is diabetic, and I’ll be in week 2 of radiation so I may need all of the food blended into a shake.  TIA.  :thumbsup:

Turkey is lower on my list of fowl. For smaller gatherings I have done chicken, game hens, pheasant, ham, roast beef... or just turkey breast and thighs.

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

If you change your mind, one of my kids is vegan, another a pure carnivore, the most normal eater of the three is diabetic, and I’ll be in week 2 of radiation so I may need all of the food blended into a shake.  TIA.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and the first two kids are lactose intolerant.  HTH

Just me and the GF here.  We order a full Turkey Day meal from King Soopers.  Comes with heating instructions for everything.  Pretty good and we get a Thanksgiving dinner without the hassle.

38 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

... or just turkey breast and thighs.

I roast turkey thighs a day or two early to make my gravy.  I usually set aside an extra thigh, roast it, and eat it on Wednesday night.  It is one of my favorite parts of the Thanksgiving eating experience.  It is the best part of the turkey.

• Like 1

If it were just me and the gf, we probably wouldn't do anything special.  Just make what we have in the fridge or freezer.  Wouldn't treat it as any different day.

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If it were just me and the gf, we probably wouldn't do anything special.  Just make what we have in the fridge or freezer.  Wouldn't treat it as any different day.

... but, since you don't have a GF,  it's just you standing over the sink in your underwear eating a hot pocket and crying?

10 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

... but, since you don't have a GF,  it's just you standing over the sink in your underwear eating a hot pocket and crying?

Grilled cheese maybe, but certainly not a hot pocket.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fricker66 said:

I roast turkey thighs a day or two early to make my gravy.  I usually set aside an extra thigh, roast it, and eat it on Wednesday night.  It is one of my favorite parts of the Thanksgiving eating experience.  It is the best part of the turkey.

I love the dark meat much more than the white (heh heh).  Luckily the rest of the family favors the bland white meat, which leaves lots of leftovers for me.  

Leftovers are what I probably love most about Thanksgiving.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I love the dark meat much more than the white (heh heh).  Luckily the rest of the family favors the bland white meat, which leaves lots of leftovers for me.  

Leftovers are what I probably love most about Thanksgiving.  

Cranberry and Turkey Sandwiches are the best!

:thumbsup:

I take the leftover turkey and give it a quick pan fry in some oil, then I'll throw in some stuffing and mashed potatoes, pour a little gravy over it while stirring together.  When full heated, put a spoonful or two on a plate, top with cranberry sauce, delcious.  Turkey hash, I call it turkey slop, and it's better than the actual meal.  I will also include some green bean casserole if it's just for me, because I'm the only person in my family that actually likes the green bean casserole.

• Like 1

Who else loves in the bird bacteria filled stuffing?  Me!!!  I hate crappy out of the bird stuffin.  Gimme ecoli!!

Although my sister made an awesome cornbread sausage stuffing several years ago