Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Scoop and Play RB for Week 10?

Hard to find any startable RB's floating around in Week 10, but if you are in a pinch, there might be one deep-dive available that could net you a few points:

Troymaine Pope - Chargers

Welcome to the bizarro world of LAC RB's....Ekeler (IR), Jackson, Kelley, Ballage, and Pope. Bad situation, right? Kinda, yeah.....but check this out. As we know, after a promising start, Kelley seems to have fallen out of favor. In fact, his 3.2 yards/carry and 1 TD on the season led to the (re)emergence of former Melvin Gordon backup, Justin Jackson....who showed some real promise in week 5 (94 total yards) and week 8 (142 total yards). Of course, everyone snagged him up (including myself), only to watch him leave the game last week with a knee injury...without a single fantasy point. Stepping up to take his place was none other than former Dolphin, Kalen Ballage, fresh off the practice squad, who came in and carried 15 times for 69 yards....his second highest rushing total since he entered the league in 2018, along with 15 receiving yards and a TD.

So, with Jackson looking very iffy with his knee injury (no practice on Wed), and Kelley on the outside looking in, that would logically lead us to believe that Ballage is the play this week in that pretty prolific Charger offense....one in which defenses must respect the lively arm of rookie sensation Justin Herbert, right? Especially when you consider that Ballage is facing his old team, the Dolphins. Well, hold your horses. Ballage has curiously been demoted back to the practice squad this week. https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/kalen-ballage-demoted-after-busy-week-9/

Well, that leaves us with Pope. He had registered exactly 1 carry on the season, when he came in in week 8 and went 10/67 rushing the ball, and added 5 receptions for 28 yards.....before exiting with a head injury, missing last weeks game entirely, opening the door for Ballage. However, Pope was back to practicing full today, and looks ready to roll this week. Now, maybe Ballage gets called back up from the practice squad before this weekends game....maybe he doesn't. IF he doesn't, and IF Jackson is ruled out (which seems likely), that leaves us with Kelley and Pope...with the latter being favored over the former in Week 8. To top it all off, as I mentioned, the Chargers get the Fins this week, who give up the 13th most yards to RB's....and Pope is less than 1% owned in Yahoo and NFL.com. 

If you are into Hail Marys, for goodness sake don't forget about The Pope. Prediction: 91 total yards/1TD

• Like 1

Kelley is still the guy they want to develop, though.  I wouldn't consider Pope to have a very high ceiling (or floor).

With David Johnson (concussion) unlikely to go on Sunday, Duke Johnson becomes a viable play.  At 58% owned, scoopability is questionable, but he should be available in the majority of smaller leagues and many larger ones.

And His QB is On Board...

Non ppr 14 teams, I looked at the available Rbs, and I’m picking Mckissic of the Redskins , I think he’ll record 10 points in non ppr.  

A Smith at Qb , I like his shot at having 60 plus total yards and a score.  

He’s only avg 5 points per game non ppr, but we’ll see.  

For those with slim waiver pickings, Salvon Ahmed and Ryan Nall are dart throws but ones with possible opportunity

• Like 1

If he's available and you need RB help from here on out, this may be a good week to pick up Tony Pollard.

I know the Cowboys are off but that means he's an easy pick up. I wouldn't be shocked to see them shut Zeke down some time soon.

When that happens, Pollard will be an excellent play, probably better than Zeke has been this season, certainly the past couple of games

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see them shut Zeke down some time soon.

I would be greatly shocked if a professional sports team "shut down" their best players just because they felt they were out of contention (and of course, they are currently still hotly contending for the NFC East title).

Maybe Pollard gets a bigger share of the split in some games, but barring injury, Pollard will always be the Fournette to Zeke's RoJo.

19 hours ago, polecatt said:

If he's available and you need RB help from here on out, this may be a good week to pick up Tony Pollard.

I know the Cowboys are off but that means he's an easy pick up. I wouldn't be shocked to see them shut Zeke down some time soon.

When that happens, Pollard will be an excellent play, probably better than Zeke has been this season, certainly the past couple of games

i'm failing to understand why the cowboys would shut zeke down.....

23 minutes ago, SexyRexy said:

i'm failing to understand why the cowboys would shut zeke down.....

Because he's not been playing so well, he has been having a tight hamstring, and the team has nothing to play for.

They may not shut him down in the sense of putting him on IR, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's more or less phased out in the coming weeks so he doesn't take any more wear and tear.

4 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Because he's not been playing so well, he has been having a tight hamstring, and the team has nothing to play for.

Nothing to play for but a division title and a playoff berth...

17 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Nothing to play for but a division title and a playoff berth...

That's a good one

They may not shut him down in the sense of putting him on IR, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's more or less phased out in the coming weeks so he doesn't take any more wear and tear.

I could see maybe out at week 16+.  There is no way a team is going to show the rest of the players and the fans that they are giving up.  

That's a good one

They're only one game out of first place in the Win column...

29 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

They're only one game out of first place in the Win column...

And 3 games back in the loss column, I know the standings.

The Cowboys would at the very least have to win 3 more games to catch the eagles, and that's just simply not gonna happen

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, polecatt said:

And 3 games back in the loss column, I know the standings.

The Cowboys would at the very least have to win 3 more games to catch the eagles, and that's just simply not gonna happen

If the Eagles lost the rest of their games, they would finish with a 3-12-1 record.  Dallas currently stands at 2-7.  If they won 2 more games, they would finish with a record of 4-12.  That would beat 3-12-1.

The Cowboys were competitive with Gilbert; winning 2 more games isn't out of the question.

21 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

If the Eagles lost the rest of their games, they would finish with a 3-12-1 record.  Dallas currently stands at 2-7.  If they won 2 more games, they would finish with a record of 4-12.  That would beat 3-12-1.

The Cowboys were competitive with Gilbert; winning 2 more games isn't out of the question.

Since Dak has been out, I haven't seen anything that makes me think they can win 2 games, but I guess it is possible.

That and the eagles losing all of their games though, not gonna happen.

Philly still plays all 3 NFC East teams, which they should win at least two of, if not three. Outside of that they have some tough games, but I think they will win at least one of those.

Mathematically, the Cowboys win the division, yes, it's still possible, but in reality, not a chance

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

they're like a game out of first. i would doubt immensely they shut down zeke after a bye week bc he had a tight hamstring given this.

Back to the original suggestion of Troymaine Pope....it is being reported that the Chargers will bring Ballage back up from the practice squad to be available against his former team, the Dolphins. So, if a guy is in a pinch for a scoop-n-play RB for this week, it is probably a toss-up between Pope and Ballage (Kelley more widely owned)....likely be a hot-hand approach in the first quarter....although one would think that Pope would garner the first crack since he actually made the team this year.

• Like 1

What I’ve seen, we’ll know Saturday, I think he’s playing, how much then becomes the question. 

I think if he plays, , he gets a full load of work, so if he does play, I would start him. 

On 11/12/2020 at 12:52 AM, AxeElf said:

With David Johnson (concussion) unlikely to go on Sunday, Duke Johnson becomes a viable play.  At 58% owned, scoopability is questionable, but he should be available in the majority of smaller leagues and many larger ones.

Sounds like the forecast for high winds is going to lend itself to a more "grounded" game plan as well...

Duke is more in the ‘trade for, or blow your faab and play. I can’t imagine he was just available to be scooped in a 12 team or higher...

On 11/12/2020 at 12:52 AM, AxeElf said:

40 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Duke is more in the ‘trade for, or blow your faab and play. I can’t imagine he was just available to be scooped in a 12 team or higher...

As I stated at the time I posted, he was 58% owned in Yahoo leagues, which, as I said, probably left him available in the majority of smaller leagues, as well as many larger ones.

If you didn't act on Axe Elf's wisdom earlier in the week, that half-open window of scoopability has probably closed a bit.

Listen to the Elf,

Trophy on the shelf.

Listen to the others,

Go crying to your mothers.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

As I stated at the time I posted, he was 58% owned in Yahoo leagues, which, as I said, probably left him available in the majority of smaller leagues, as well as many larger ones.

If you didn't act on Axe Elf's wisdom earlier in the week, that half-open window of scoopability has probably closed a bit.

Listen to the Elf,

Trophy on the shelf.

Listen to the others,

Go crying to your mothers.

Who cares about public leagues %? Any league worth a damn was all over duke long before you posted anything. in mine where we use Faab the winning bid was $30, which was half of what the owner had left. 6 other owners put in bids, and no one else even knows about the charlatan, aka @Axe Elf  Your duke call belongs in a start em sit em thread not a scoop and play. Do better...

22 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

any news on Chubb playing? If not I'm gonna have to scoop someone up.

It looks like he's playing.

Doesn't have an injury designation and he's been activated off IR

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

Who cares about public leagues %? Any league worth a damn was all over duke long before you posted anything. in mine where we use Faab the winning bid was $30, which was half of what the owner had left. 6 other owners put in bids, and no one else even knows about the charlatan, aka @Axe Elf  Your duke call belongs in a start em sit em thread not a scoop and play. Do better...

You can talk to me about Duke's availability after you ream Weepeen for thinking Jeudy was the best call in last week's "Scoop and Play WR" thread.

Until then, you can shut your cawk holster.

19 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You can talk to me about Duke's availability after you ream Weepeen for thinking Jeudy was the best call in last week's "Scoop and Play WR" thread.

Hey, I didn’t pick Jeudy, I picked the player that suffered an injury , Shenault, and he didn’t do nothing based on an injury  

Jeudy wasn’t available in my league, not like those others you posted about playing in. 

Duke Johnson isn’t available in my league, but he’s in yours. 

Good and luck  

Thanks 

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

What does that have to do with anything? The bottom line is you chose to make the #11 ranked RB for week 10, by this very website as your ‘scoop and play’ selection. Great call, I’m picking Dalvin Cook. How’d I do?

26 minutes ago, jrokh said:

What does that have to do with anything? The bottom line is you chose to make the #11 ranked RB for week 10, by this very website as your ‘scoop and play’ selection. Great call, I’m picking Dalvin Cook. How’d I do?

You got it backwards, chronologically.  Axe Elf didn't choose to make the #11 ranked RB for Week 10 his "scoop and play" selection; the site chose to make Duke the #11 ranked RB for Week 10 because Axe Elf made him his "scoop and play" selection.

Whelp, Pope a late inactive after practicing in full all week.....what the heck? 

Hope those in need were able to plug in Ballage, who had a very serviceable day.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:22 PM, DrG said:

Salvon Ahmed and Ryan Nall are dart throws

Nice....

Watch Lamar Miller come in out of nowhere and dominate touches tonight in a blustery Chicago.

He's now reunited with new playcaller for the Bears, OC Bill Lazar, who he was with in in Miami.

This has the look of a 3 headed monster at least for tonight. Miller has the history, Patterson a known quantity ... might be time for the Bears to see what they have in Nall.

On 11/14/2020 at 10:19 PM, jrokh said:

I’m picking Dalvin Cook. How’d I do?

Meh.  You coulda had just as many points from Cordarrelle Patterson, and he was less widely owned.

Fwiw wk 10 was one of the hardest weeks to predict in a while:

• Chargers - Pope, Ballage were both in play, anything could have happened. It just happened to be Ballage. - What made it worse Pope was active. I could easily see making Pope the plug & play RB2 on Sunday morning. Turned out he got nothing, now we know it's Ballage. (And Ballage has been terrible in Mia & NJJ to boot).
  • Phins - all of Breida, Howard, Washington, Bowden and Ahmed seemed in play on Saturday, by Sunday morning Breida was not playing but it still was not clear. Now it's clear as a bell - Howard is gone, Breida is dinged, Bowden is a project and Gaskin has an MCL. Washington is the emergency vet backup.
  • Bears - total dumpster fire, it would have been hard to imagine CPat getting the full run as of Saturday and yet there he was. It failed. I think Miller will be the guy on the back end of the bye and really maybe Monte should sit and watch some. Looking at how much talent there is on some teams' RB squads it's hard to understand why Chicago is so bad at RBs.
  • Seattle - Carson no Hyde no Dallas no Homer no.... Alex Collins. Hyde may play this week. Yeah good luck, you really are just lucky if you pick this right.
  • Hou - Duke Johnson finally gets some play, easypeasy! - Nope, shitty weather and the Browns showed up, 54 yards. Yippee.Honestly if I could have started someone from this whole group it would have been him. 

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Fwiw wk 10 was one of the hardest weeks to predict in a while

100% agree. 

Lotta moving parts....