Sign in to follow this  
5-Points

Chili Recipe Thread From Back In The Day

There was a chili recipe thread several years back. I think the moz started it. I"ve tried to find it but have not had any luck. I saved it to my phone at the time but that phone took a dump. 

Anybody remember that thread or, if not, have a good chili recipe?

TIA

Use ground beef as a thickener. Can also use ground turkey if you like in person. He's better cuts of meat for the actual meat. Couple surprise ingredients. Whole kernel corn is great. Not a lot , just enough. Same thing with shredded carrots.

And, chili without beans it's just hot dog sauce. But whatever. Gfy.

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Use ground beef as a thickener. Can also use ground turkey if you like in person. He's better cuts of meat for the actual meat. Couple surprise ingredients. Whole kernel corn is great. Not a lot , just enough. Same thing with shredded carrots.

The addition of corn, shredded carrots and beans makes it a stew, not chili. 

2 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Yeah, I use GB as a thickener. I also cut up a NY roast into chunks, although you can get pre cut "stew meat" to save time. Multi color bell peppers, jalapeno peppers...  Never thought about corn or carrots. Now I'm curious. 

And yes, Chili without beans is a meat sauce.  They don't call them chili beans for nothing. I use Kidney and chili beans in mine. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t go off of a recipe. I pretty much know what is needed and grow everything in to taste. It’s a little different every time.

Ground beef, ground pork, canned tomatoes with onions and peppers, garlic, pork & beans, chili beans, kidney beans, the usual seasonings and I will sometimes dump in a stout beer if it needs to be thinned out more. Might throw in a can of Rotel tomatoes for added spice. Depends on how I feel and what I have around the house. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I don’t go off of a recipe. I pretty much know what is needed and grow everything in to taste. It’s a little different every time.

Ground beef, ground pork, canned tomatoes with onions and peppers, garlic, pork & beans, chili beans, kidney beans, the usual seasonings and I will sometimes dump in a stout beer if it needs to be thinned out more. Might throw in a can of Rotel tomatoes for added spice. Depends on how I feel and what I have around the house. 

This is why I was looking for the original thread. I remember his recipe being way too "hot" and having to cool it down with some brown sugar. 

1 hour ago, 5-Points said:

This is why I was looking for the original thread. I remember his recipe being way too "hot" and having to cool it down with some brown sugar. 

I forgot that I also use some brown sugar and mushrooms. Seasonings I use are chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. 

1 of the best relaxing days in my life is sitting on the couch. Watching a foot of snow fall outside. Have the fire absolutely blasting away. Petting the dog. And eating a bowl of chili and drinking a pepsi. If I don't have to go to work or leave the house is icing on the cake.

👼

This hallmark moment has been brought to you by Kopy Enterprises.

P.S. - Substitute pepsi for beer if the situation calls for.

Just now, Kopy said:

1 of the best relaxing days in my life is sitting on the couch. Watching a foot of snow fall outside. Have the fire absolutely blasting away. Petting the dog. And eating a bowl of chili and drinking a pepsi. If I don't have to go to work or leave the house is icing on the cake.

👼

This hallmark moment has been brought to you by Kopy Enterprises.

That’s basically what the weekend during winter is like for me except I’d replace that Pepsi with an IPA or stout. I currently sitting by the fire watching football right now. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

That’s basically what the weekend during winter is like for me except I’d replace that Pepsi with an IPA or stout. I currently sitting by the fire watching football right now. 

:thumbsup: 

:cheers:

1 hour ago, 5-Points said:

There was a chili recipe thread several years back. I think the moz started it. I"ve tried to find it but have not had any luck. I saved it to my phone at the time but that phone took a dump. 

Anybody remember that thread or, if not, have a good chili recipe?

TIA

HTH...

• Thanks 1

I like to eat an entire pot of chili,  wait 12 hours then sit in the hottub. 

14 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

HTH...

That's it! Thank you, sir!  :cheers:

It's a decent base but it needs some gb to thicken it up and brown sugar to tame the heat. 

TURKEY CHILI SOUP - The Soup Nazi's Actual Recipe!

Note from source: Al Yeganeh, from Soup Kitchen International gave out his recipe in New York Magazine, 10/28/96. Involved recipe, but worth it.

FOR THE STOCK:

6 cups turkey stock:

1 small fresh turkey

1 large onion , cut in half

2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces

2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 sprig fresh thyme

1 sprig fresh oregano

2 bay leaves

3 cloves garlic

1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns

FOR THE SOUP:

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 large red onions, finely diced

8 cloves garlic, minced

1 stalk celery, diced

1 large carrot, diced

2 medium-size cooked potatoes, peeled and mashed slightly

2 tablespoons chili powder

3 tablespoons chipolte puree

2 tablespoons ground cumin

1 tablespoon Spanish paprika

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

3 cups peeled and diced tomatoes

3 cups cooked kidney beans

1 green pepper, diced

1/2 red pepper, diced

1/4 cup red wine

1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

2 cups finely diced cooked turkey (see above)

2 cups coarsely chopped fresh mustard greens

1 cup corn

1 teaspoon wine vinegar

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Tabasco sauce (optional)

1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)

GARNISHES:

fresh guacamole, low-fat sour cream mixed with yogurt, chopped scallion and cilantro, grated cheddar cheese, thinly sliced red onion, chopped hard-boiled egg

TO PREPARE THE STOCK:

Place all ingredients for the stock in stockpot and fill with cold water until turkey is just covered. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until turkey is cooked. Remove turkey. When cool enough to handle, debone, and return bones to stockpot, reserving meat. Discard skin. Cover and continue cooking for another 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Strain. Set aside.

TO PREPARE THE SOUP:

Heat oil in a soup pot. Add onions and garlic, sauteing until onions are translucent.

Add celery, carrot, and potatoes. Sweat over medium heat for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.

Add chili powder, chipotle, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon, cooking over low heat for 10 minutes and stirring occasionally.

Add tomatoes, 6 cups stock, beans, peppers, wine and cilantro, simmering for 35 to 40 minutes.

Add turkey, mustard greens, corn and vinegar. Cook for 15 minutes.

Season to taste with salt, pepper, Tabasco, and lemon. Serve with 1 or 2 garnishes.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I forgot that I also use some brown sugar and mushrooms. Seasonings I use are chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. 

Oh gawd. Mushrooms in chili? 

Made some last weekend. 
ground beef

diced chuck

no beans

poblano powder 

ancho powder

cayenne

chili powder

cinnamon

agave

Masa harina is a great chili thickener. I also use saltine crackers sometimes.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Masa harina is a great chili thickener. I also use saltine crackers sometimes.  

Yep.. finish with it

• Like 1

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

3 pounds of brisket, short rib or stew meat. Cubed 1/4” and I brown this in a cast iron skillet before adding. You can use the fat for the chili or not.

2 pounds pork sausage I use Italian sweets. Remove casing

3 large onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced

Bunch of cilantro 

5-6 large dried Chilies (pods) I prefer hatch reds. Also like guajillo 

28oz San Marzano tomatoes remove the stem parts and hand crush. Use juice.

1 Sereno chile 

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp Mexican oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

1 TS hot paprika 

1 TS hatch red chile powder 

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

1 random beer 

1 good beer

1 lime juiced

Couple pieces of Mexican chocolate.

1 shot of Jack Daniels or random Whiskey 

Kidney beans 

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. I pull whatever’s left over in the fridge.    Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min.  then puree the chilis with bunch of cilantro with some of the beer/chili liquid. If it’s wicked bitter I use fresh beer to puree. Strain the puree to remove the skin that doesn’t rehydrate. Set aside.

In a large stock pot heat the oil.   Add the onions and sweat over med low heat for 45 minutes until it’s just a mush of onions. Add the garlic and Sereno and cook 15 minutes.  Add the cumin and add the pork.  Stir until the meat browns.   Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone.   Add the chili puree, beer, Whiskey, beef broth, tomato, lime, chocolate and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil.  Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency.   Then add beans and cook another ½ hour. 

Judge Smells Chili

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)

1 shot of Jack Daniels

34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans)

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside.

In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour.

You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup.

• Like 1

• 1 LB tomato sauce
  • 1 LB diced tomatoes
  • 1 LB ground beef 85%
  • 1 LB hot italian sausage 
  • 1 LB mixture of beans (kidney, black and pinto)
  • several strips of bacon
  • chili powder
  • black pepper
  • cayenne 
  • smoked paprika
  • onion salt
  • garlic powder
  • fiesta lime seasoning (made by Mrs Dash) if you can find it. 

1. tomato sauce, diced tomatoes into a slow cooker. 
  2. brown the beef and add it in
  3. brown the sausage enough to cut into small chunks and add it in
  4. cook the bacon and cut it into smaller inch pieces (or just crumble a bit) and add it in
  5. No science for me on the spices. I go moderate and add more to taste as it's slow cooking.
  6. Cook on low for 8 hours. 
  7. About half way in, add all your beans.

Serve over rice with mexican shredded cheese and sour cream. 

Yeah, there are no veggies. it's meant to be a hearty meat and bean chili. I also hate onions but you can easily dice up some onions and sprinkle on top with the cheese and sour cream.