Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

Watch geeks?

So my wife mentioned as an aside a while back that she wanted a "nice watch." I filed that away for Christmas.

Looked at all the stores here and online, and I have concluded... Watch people are focking nuts. Tudor, Longines, Breitling, Rado, and of course the look at me grandaddy of em all, Rolex... Just insane to spend that much on a focking steel watch that is actually LESS ACCCURATE than a cheap ass quartz.

I ended up getting her a Tissot. She's absolutely over the moon with it. Apparently when she said "nice watch" she was thinking more like a cheap ass fossil she saw at the mall. I always forget that "nice" has different meanings given our upbringings.

She got me a Seiko 5 that I really liked. Apparently it's a good "entry level timepiece" to the watch snobs. First automatic I've ever had. Whatever.

Anybody here into this "hobby" and have a "collection?"

One thing I do thing would be cool to have is a WWII military watch. They're actually not expensive at all online.

I got an employee of the year Henri Stern watch one year. (Patek Philippe) Supposedly they start at 20 grand. I have no idea and I never wore it. Not even sure where it is. 

34 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

I got an employee of the year Henri Stern watch one year. (Patek Philippe) Supposedly they start at 20 grand. I have no idea and I never wore it. Not even sure where it is. 

Hell, you should find it and sell it.

4 hours ago, Mike Isles said:

Where did you work at?  What did you do?  :banana:

I’m not a watch guy, but I have a couple Christopher Ward watches. Really nice for “reasonably priced” watches. I don’t foresee ever getting into really expensive watches and don’t plan on purchasing anymore.

I have this one with a grey/black leather strap that looks weathered - https://www.christopherward.com/int/dive/C60-Trident-Ombré-COSC-Limited-Edition/C60-42ADC3-S0KK0-B0.html

I also have this one with the brushed steel strap - https://www.christopherward.com/int/retro-dive/C65-Trident-Diver-SH21-Limited-Edition/C65-41APR1-S0BB0-RB.html

46 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I’m not a watch guy, but I have a couple Christopher Ward watches. Really nice for “reasonably priced” watches. I don’t foresee ever getting into really expensive watches and don’t plan on purchasing anymore.

I have this one with a grey/black leather strap that looks weathered - https://www.christopherward.com/int/dive/C60-Trident-Ombré-COSC-Limited-Edition/C60-42ADC3-S0KK0-B0.html

I also have this one with the brushed steel strap - https://www.christopherward.com/int/retro-dive/C65-Trident-Diver-SH21-Limited-Edition/C65-41APR1-S0BB0-RB.html

I like that second one, especially with the suede strap.  

I collect vintage Bulova watches,  from the 1920's - 1950's mainly though I do have a few 60's & 70's watches.  I have for about 15 years.  I probably have a couple hundred.  I've also flipped them on ebay for the last decade.  I see them as mechanical works of art.  Seriously... what's made with precision and pride anymore.  These things were made to last.  

What else can you pick up thats 80 years old... and there is a damned good chance you give it a wind and it actually still works?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2m62tetwolvk4pq/AAD1ZsmEMXHQqKv_BqVxlBHsa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ao50upiueykdngu/AAB8CB-rAQAazyq8izhyE9kEa?dl=0

• Like 2

Off topic but,

What time is it?

2 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I collect vintage Bulova watches,  from the 1920's - 1950's mainly though I do have a few 60's & 70's watches.  I have for about 15 years.  I probably have a couple hundred.  I've also flipped them on ebay for the last decade.  I see them as mechanical works of art.  Seriously... what's made with precision and pride anymore.  These things were made to last.  

What else can you pick up thats 80 years old... and there is a damned good chance you give it a wind and it actually still works?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2m62tetwolvk4pq/AAD1ZsmEMXHQqKv_BqVxlBHsa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ao50upiueykdngu/AAB8CB-rAQAazyq8izhyE9kEa?dl=0

Love them. Can you keep an eye out for a round, white face, Roman numeral, black band for me?

• Like 1

Love watches. Usually ask for one every Christmas (don’t always get one so I buy it myself). I don’t wear them daily but when I go out I will match one with what I’m wearing 

23 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Yer mom? 

I had a friend that traveled extensively in SE Asia and we would always bring back a few 100 bucks worth of fakes. Breitling were my faves.  But I have a Tag that is really nice. At $40 a piece they are practically disposable. 

On 11/15/2020 at 10:39 AM, Bier Meister said:

Love them. Can you keep an eye out for a round, white face, Roman numeral, black band for me?

Something new & quartz like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264889494089

Or something mechanical and vintage like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Vintage-Bulova-Stunning-Silver-Dial-Serviced-With-Warranty-/193753566283?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

If so... we'll find you one... that one is WAY more than I'd spend on it.

You want new... or vintage?  Mechanical or quartz?  What you want vintage probably looking 1960's. 

29 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Something new & quartz like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264889494089

Or something mechanical and vintage like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Vintage-Bulova-Stunning-Silver-Dial-Serviced-With-Warranty-/193753566283?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

If so... we'll find you one... that one is WAY more than I'd spend on it.

You want new... or vintage?  Mechanical or quartz?  What you want vintage probably looking 1960's. 

like the first one a little more.. less bulky
New or vintage.

silver bezel vs gold

mechanical or quartz 

I’ve sold most of my collection to buy more guitars. My last sale was a Breitling Avenger II before Covid. I got half of what I paid for it. Currently only have 2 watches and that is enough for me. I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual in stainless and an Oris Aquis with rubber band. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Does Fitbit count?

I have a fitbit versa 2. Honestly, I find it annoying. Have to charge it all the time. Getting notifications on my wrist is Meh. Controlling Spotify with it rarely worked.

On 11/15/2020 at 1:48 AM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

So my wife mentioned as an aside a while back that she wanted a "nice watch." I filed that away for Christmas.

Looked at all the stores here and online, and I have concluded... Watch people are focking nuts. Tudor, Longines, Breitling, Rado, and of course the look at me grandaddy of em all, Rolex... Just insane to spend that much on a focking steel watch that is actually LESS ACCCURATE than a cheap ass quartz.

I ended up getting her a Tissot. She's absolutely over the moon with it. Apparently when she said "nice watch" she was thinking more like a cheap ass fossil she saw at the mall. I always forget that "nice" has different meanings given our upbringings.

She got me a Seiko 5 that I really liked. Apparently it's a good "entry level timepiece" to the watch snobs. First automatic I've ever had. Whatever.

Anybody here into this "hobby" and have a "collection?"

One thing I do thing would be cool to have is a WWII military watch. They're actually not expensive at all online.

20 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I have a Rado. I never wear it anymore.

I would be leery of a Tissot. Look at what it spells backwards - Toss It. :lol:

When in Zurich 20 years ago, we purchased a very attractive tissot for my wife.  Still does a nice job.

Same trip, I got Tag in Interlaken.

Every woman I know has an Apple watch with all the different interchangeable bands to match their "outfit".  :dunno:

These are American suburban soccer mom housewives who stay at home and wear yoga pants 80% of the time.   

6 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

These are American suburban soccer mom housewives who stay at home and wear yoga pants 80% of the time.   

👀

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

Every woman I know has an Apple watch with all the different interchangeable bands to match their "outfit".  :dunno:

Damn. You make a lot of house calls. Keeping the GC wives happy?

Any recommendations on casual watch brands in the sub-$200 range?

I really like my Skagen but I’m ready for a new watch. I keep seeing ads for MVMT. Nice looking watches but the revues say they’re cheap crap.

Any similar brands I should check out? 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

I really like my Skagen but I’m ready for a new watch. I keep seeing ads for MVMT. Nice looking watches but the revues say they’re cheap crap.

Check out jomashop.com, that’s where I’ve bought the last few watches.

Tissot is a good brand, Got my daughter and me each one, somewhere in the $200-300 range if you are willing to spend a little more than you said.

Invicta is well within your range; I got an automatic on a cruise for around $100, it doesn’t really keep time if it is off of your wrist at all.  You get what you pay for.  For that price I’d stick with quartz.

I have a Skagen I bought for cheap at a mall watch store; I loved that thing, extremely sleek.  Unfortunately the battery is extremely difficult to change; most jewelers won’t even try.  The only jeweler who did it had a guy larger than a Hollywood bouncer squeeze it back shut (and they moved to a new location the next week, and I don’t recall their name to find them).  I don’t know if it is all Skagens, but I suspect it is, given the reaction by jewelers when I mention the name. :dunno:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Check out jomashop.com, that’s where I’ve bought the last few watches.

Tissot is a good brand, Got my daughter and me each one, somewhere in the $200-300 range if you are willing to spend a little more than you said.

Invicta is well within your range; I got an automatic on a cruise for around $100, it doesn’t really keep time if it is off of your wrist at all.  You get what you pay for.  For that price I’d stick with quartz.

I have a Skagen I bought for cheap at a mall watch store; I loved that thing, extremely sleek.  Unfortunately the battery is extremely difficult to change; most jewelers won’t even try.  The only jeweler who did it had a guy larger than a Hollywood bouncer squeeze it back shut (and they moved to a new location the next week, and I don’t recall their name to find them).  I don’t know if it is all Skagens, but I suspect it is, given the reaction by jewelers when I mention the name. :dunno:

Good info thank you.

I’ve had my Skagen for five years and only changed the battery once. I had no issue but I’ve heard the same thing about jewelers not wanting to do it. It’s worn very well with the band still intact and no scratching on the face.

I’ll give Invicta and Tissot a look. :thumbsup: 

Any experience with Nixon? I was looking at a Nixon Sentry.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I keep seeing ads for MVMT. Nice looking watches but the revues say they’re cheap crap.

Yeah, but you would be a total badass like those guys in the commercial. 

4 hours ago, MDC said:

I forgot to mention MVMT — I get those ads as well and like the look.  I figure I get them because long ago I bought sunglasses through them.  Probably paid $60-80, I like them, but something about them seems not quite quality.  I have Maui Jim aviators as my every day (got them as a gift) so I am a little spoiled, but quality sunglasses are not an option in Phoenix IMO.  Basically they seem like you get what you pay for, so since they aren’t that expensive, might be worth a try.

Also I got a TW Steel watch on Jomashop that I really like.  It was regularly $60 (cheaper than retail like all of their stuff) on sale for $40.  Way higher quality than the price.  Looking on the TW Steel website it looks like they usually are more in the $250-500 range.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:20 PM, KSB2424 said:

:wave: minus the soccer mom and stay home all the time. At least before covid....

12 hours ago, MDC said:

I just got a seiko 5. There are dozens of styles and colors. Supposed to be a very durable and long lasting mechanical, but reasonably priced.