Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Week 11 Scoop and Play WR

Mixed bag last of success and failure last week (forgive my deep-dive recommendation of Michael Thomas), but let's once again try to find some barely-owned WR's that are available to plug in to lineups as we make our playoff push. Another early edition this week, since a Thursday game is involved.

Larry Fitzgerald - Cards

Yes, sometimes resurrecting an old veteran is just what the doctor ordered. For those of us who have been at this for awhile, the name Larry Fitzgerald still conjures up memories of Super Bowl heroics with kurt Warner, as well as yearly set-it-and-forget-it WR1 status on our fantasy teams from years gone by. In his 17th year in the league, the 11x pro bowler and future hall of famer is, admittedly, only a shell of his former self. However, it might be a good week to dust him off for a scoop-and-play in primetime on Thursday night. With less than 250 yards on the season and no TD's, this might seem a bit too dicey....and perhaps it is. But, when one looks deeper into the numbers, they will find that his best game of the season came against their division foe the Seahawks, where he caught 8 of 8 passes for 62 scoreless yards....and they get the Hawks again. I expect a lot of scoring in this game, particularly after Wilson laid an egg last week, and Seattle is at the bottom of the heap in pass defense....dead last. Nuk and Kirk will get plenty of attention, but watch out for the wise old veteran to find the soft spots against inferior defenders all night long. Whatsmore, he is only owned in 10% of Yahoo and NFL.com leagues. Bet on the vet. Prediction: 6/72/1 

Cam Friggin' Sims - Skins

"The Other Sims" crawls his way up from the deep-dive last week into the scoop-and-play this week. The big-bodied receiver (6' 5" 220 lbs) has now surpassed Steven Sims and Isaiah Wright, playing as the #2 receiver to McLaurin, and was in on 94% of the snaps last week.....while the two aforementioned WR's played less than half the snaps. After accumulating just 61 yards through 8 weeks, Cam has now reeled in 164 yards the last 2 weeks. Alex Smith and the Redskin coaches have both been very complimentary of him, and gets the Bengals this week at home, who give up the 7th most FF points to WR's. It's possible that he loses a few snaps to Dontrelle Inman if he returns from a hammy, but look for Cam to continue the high-snap-count trend, and to high-point some passes this week. He's still unowned in all but the deepest leagues....and it's a Cam shame. Prediction: 5/63/1

Deep Dive: Jalen Guyton - Chargers

The pride of the University of North Texas, Guyton has had his share of ups and downs this season (mostly downs), but has managed to score 3 TD's behind the arm of rookie QB sensation, Justin Herbert. Guyton has good size (6' 1" 202 lbs), but really sets him apart is his speed....he runs a 4.35-40. Targets have often been an issue for him, with Allen and Williams on the field, but last week he saw a season-high 6 targets, and was in on only 4 fewer snaps than Williams. He is all but unowned in the vast majority of leagues and a home date with the Jets Sunday afternoon, who rank 29th in pass yards allowed, could be the perfect scenario to snag you some free fantasy points. Rely on the Guy. Prediction: 4/76/1

Deeper Dive: Olamide Zaccheaus - Falcons

Who? You know....Olamide. Now, this depends a lot on the status of Ridley's foot injury, of course.....he was working on the side with trainers yesterday. However, if Ridley can't go this week (or if he can, and you are just the gambling type), take a deep dive with little Zaccheaus. Surprisingly, although super-small for a WR (5' 8" 194 lbs), he's got the quicks, and seemed to be the main beneficiary of Ridley's absence in week 9, rather than Gage, catching 4 balls on 6 targets for 103/1. He also came outta nowhere to grab 8 balls for 86 yards against GB in week 4. In what could be a high-scoring affair against the Saints, who give up the 13th most fantasy points to opposing WR's, he's got a chance to make a (small) splash. Zaccheaus was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he....(btw, I'd be interested to know if that line means anything to anyone in here). Prediction: 4/69/1

20 hours ago, stonewall said:

Deep Dive: Jalen Guyton - Chargers

One of these days someone will notice that Guyton just makes plays, maybe after he signs somewhere else as a FA.

Fwiw I’d look at Perriman. Flacco is starting, there will be lots of garbage opportunities, and the man was a closer for FF teams last year. Not sure how he’ll do with Darnold who favors Crowder but he has a connection with Flacco.

W Snead is available, 10 non ppr ff points. N

As others have mentioned, Moore seems like a solid bet tonight if Lockett sits... other than that it seems like a thin week. IMO you could do a lot worse than Hamler who has had 10 targets the past two weeks, and goes up against Mia who has been middling defensively and can put up some points.

I also think the KC chiefs try to run the score up on LV after the victory laps at arrowhead. Demarcus Robinson has found the end zone two weeks in a row, and could be in for another solid day. Always risky as the chiefs spread the ball around, but he could perform in super deep leagues or budget DFS.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rallo said:

I also think the KC chiefs try to run the score up on LV after the victory laps at arrowhead. Demarcus Robinson has found the end zone two weeks in a row, and could be in for another solid day. Always risky as the chiefs spread the ball around, but he could perform in super deep leagues or budget DFS.

I'm hoping this is another shootout.  I have both Mahomes and Carr in a 2QB league.  In their last matchup, they combined for about 55 points.  :thumbsup:

Any Miami homers have any insight on Jakeem Grant?

As for Hamler, if anyone knows, did his target rate go up last week after Patrick was ejected?

For now rolling w Fitzgerald vs Seattle. Guessing they want to get their timeless vet a few red zone looks.

49 minutes ago, DrG said:

As for Hamler, if anyone knows, did his target rate go up last week after Patrick was ejected?

10 targets in each of the last two games, so I'd say no, it did not.

2 hours ago, DrG said:

Any Miami homers have any insight on Jakeem Grant?

For now rolling w Fitzgerald vs Seattle. Guessing they want to get their timeless vet a few red zone looks.

Targets by quarter...

Jeudy - 3 / 2 / 1 / 2 - (8 total)

Hamilton - 1 / 1 / 0 / 4 - (6 total)

Patrick - 2 / 4 / 0 / Ejection  - (6 total)

Hamler - 2 / 3 / 1 / 4 - (10 total)

Fant - 2 / 2 / 0 / 3 - (7 total)

To note, Drew Lock pass attempt by quarter...

11/ 14 / 2 / 20 - (47 total)

So, by quarter, Hamler got 18% / 21% / 50% / 20%  of the targets.  With that, I guess the answer to your question is "Kind of... but not really".

• Like 1

Thanks. For w r I find it better to try and catch the wave early versus picking the player who just had two big weeks and now regresses to the mean

Lazard or MVS? Both are available in a 3 WR lineup league. I have Adams who could be out or slowed up

22 minutes ago, nospk said:

Lazard or MVS? Both are available in a 3 WR lineup league. I have Adams who could be out or slowed up

Lazard if he plays, but that hasn't been determined yet.

On 11/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, stonewall said:

they will find that Fitz had his best game of the season against their division foe the Seahawks, where he caught 8 passes for 62 scoreless yards.

That's bizarre.

Exact same stats in week 11......

Indeed. 

7 hours ago, stonewall said:

That's bizarre.

Exact same stats in week 11......

Past performance is the best predictor we have of future performance.

Late edition to the Week 11 scoop-and-play:

Marvin Hall - Lions

News changes quickly in this crazy pursuit of ours. We now know that both Golladay and Amendola are out Sunday, and Stafford is expected to be a full go. So, that leaves us with the "Two Marvins" at WR.....Marvin Jones and Marvin Hall. Of course, Jones is widely owned, but Mr. Hall is only 2% rostered in Yahoo and less than 1% in NFL.com, so he is widely available. He is the "big play" guy, averaging over 28 yards/catch in two of his last three outings....and has managed over 11 non-ppr points in two of the last three, as well. They get the Panthers this week, who have been pretty solid against opposing WR's throughout the season, but have given some ground lately....allowing two 100 yard receivers and five receivers to top 68 yards in their last three games. In a pinch at WR? Remember Hall for the long ball. Prediction: 4/71/1

• Like 1

Denver has a terrific WR trio plus Fant plus a good RB stable. But I think Hamler is potentially the best. Lock has had a Blake Bortles thing going on where he stinks, falls far behind and then passes like crazy to get garbage points. But there is so much talent around him. Problem is when he sucks and then in the 4th quarter he still sucks.... those games suck. Point is it's totally unreliable. And the Broncos need to get a better QB.

3 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Denver has a terrific WR trio plus Fant plus a good RB stable. But I think Hamler is potentially the best. Lock has had a Blake Bortles thing going on where he stinks, falls far behind and then passes like crazy to get garbage points. But there is so much talent around him. Problem is when he sucks and then in the 4th quarter he still sucks.... those games suck. Point is it's totally unreliable. And the Broncos need to get a better QB.

I wouldn't throw Lock under the bus just yet.  He's basically still a rookie, with 5 games played last year (of which he won 4, by the way, including a win over playoff-bound Houston, losing only to the eventual SuperBowl Champion Chiefs)--and he's been hampered by a shoulder injury for much of this year--and his young/rookie receivers had no training camp and have been banged up a little too.  Still, Lock has averaged over 20 points a game in his last three healthy games.  I'm hoping he doesn't go TOO crazy this year, though, because I'm looking at Daniel Jones and Drew Lock to be my league-winning QB targets in 2021.

Thank you, Axe Elf!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Only a 50% competition percentage last two games, I would agree.  And his avg per game doesn’t even make him worthy of a roster spot, unless ones playes in a 2 starting Qb league.