Sign in to follow this  
easilyscan

David Montgomery: Buy Low ?

11 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

I was grumbling about owning him. Past few weeks he's been incredible

I have montgomery and he's a wasted roster space.  chicago is awful and montgomery has to be one of the worst starting RBs in the league.  Definitely one of the least explosive

That was definitely some grumbling......LOL

How quickly things can change in fantasy football :)

If only I would've taken my own advice and grabbed him off the waiver wire. I sat on my hands too long and someone else got him!

Last 3 weeks NON-PPR

12 Nov 29 @GB Final L 25-41 20.30 11 103 0 0
13 Dec 6 Det Final L 30-34 23.10 17 72 2 0
14 Dec 13 Hou Final W 36-7 21.50 11 113 1 -

No you didn’t sit on your hands, you instead picked up Gurley.  

11 minutes ago, weepaws said:

No you didn’t sit on your hands, you instead picked up Gurley.  

It was Mostert. 

2 hours ago, easilyscan said:

That was definitely some grumbling......LOL

How quickly things can change in fantasy football :)

If only I would've taken my own advice and grabbed him off the waiver wire. I sat on my hands too long and someone else got him!

Last 3 weeks NON-PPR

12 Nov 29 @GB Final L 25-41 20.30 11 103 0 0
13 Dec 6 Det Final L 30-34 23.10 17 72 2 0
14 Dec 13 Hou Final W 36-7 21.50 11 113 1 -

Important thing is to stay flexible I guess.  Had 0 faith based on what I saw.  He's been running through massive holes the last couple weeks though.  Not sure that keeps happening vs Minnesota 

12 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

It was Mostert. 

My apologies. 

He just never became available, and the owner wasn’t taking offers. 

Been a big fan of DMont since he came into the league last year, as many of y'all know. He cost me money last year, but am glad to see him finally flourishing in that system. The kid has always been a baller, every since college....and anyone who watched him could see it. Simply put: He's a football player.

Not sure what has changed....whether that o-line is finally gelling, better usage by coaches (getting more receptions), or the light has finally came on for him. Maybe a little bit of all three. Arrow is definitely pointing up. What a RB3 down the stretch!

5 minutes ago, weepaws said:

My apologies. 

No apology necessary. For someone closing in on 26,000 posts, it's certainly understandable :)

He’s a great rb 3 , what a flex. 

4 hours ago, stonewall said:

Been a big fan of DMont since he came into the league last year, as many of y'all know. He cost me money last year, but am glad to see him finally flourishing in that system. The kid has always been a baller, every since college....and anyone who watched him could see it. Simply put: He's a football player.

Not sure what has changed....whether that o-line is finally gelling, better usage by coaches (getting more receptions), or the light has finally came on for him. Maybe a little bit of all three. Arrow is definitely pointing up. What a RB3 down the stretch!

Yes sir.

In one league i got him late.  some teams picked high end backups/timeshare guys ahead of him.

I looked and saw a player who isnt sharing carries with anyone.   sure he wasnt spectacular, but a guy like this should be at least a low end Rb2 or high end RB3.

I already had Sequon Barkley and Dalvin Cook.   So i picked him up.

Barkley got hurt out of the gate, and in those first few weeks, he was solid yet unspectacular.  I picked up Gaskin on the wire when Barkley got hurt and was doing well with those guys.  then Picked up Devonta Freeman when he was signed by New York.     That league agreed to allow 3 IR/covid spots for players and much of the year I've used all 3.

But Montgomery was one player I never regretted drafting.  If I didnt have the extra Depth at RB I may not have made the playoffs to defend my championship title.

he had one or two subpar games, but overall hes been decent.

definitely RB2. 

Minny next week.   Jaxonville during the championship week 16.

Vikings defend the run ok.   But the Jags in week 16?   thats practially a freebee.

I was hoping he would get tackled during that 80 yard TD run because I thought I had benched him. But it was all good, I had started him after all! :clap:

to quote 80's country music singer Dan Seals

But as for me, I've come to know
Everything that glitters is not gold

Montgomery = Fool's Gold

53 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

to quote 80's country music singer Dan Seals

But as for me, I've come to know
Everything that glitters is not gold

Montgomery = Fool's Gold

Mmm really why? 

Some including myself think he’s a good rb flex play, he was a high rb 3 in non ppr last season, and he’s a mid rb2 this season in non ppr, you think he’s fools google as a flex rb? 

1 hour ago, Super Cubs said:

Montgomery = Fool's Gold

No one can predict the future, & it's possible he regresses week 15, but for those who owned & played him the last 3 weeks, he's been unbelievable.

On 12/13/2020 at 3:12 PM, weepaws said:

He sure has, and darn it I like ff points.  

And he’s scoring them. 

Patience pays off! Good luck this week.

2 hours ago, huskyhater75 said:

Patience pays off! Good luck this week.

Thank you, I appreciate that. 

And good luck to you. 

I'm just going off owning him for the past two season. Outside of a hand full of good games he's been very underwhelming. I tried hard moving him at the trade deadline. We keep 10, I asked for a 3rd, and no takers. I will be shopping him again this off season.

He isn’t worth a third, I would have said no after last season also, he’ll be worth a little more after this season, but I still see him as a flex play Rb3 or low rb2   

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

He isn’t worth a third, I would have said no after last season also, he’ll be worth a little more after this season, but I still see him as a flex play Rb3 or low rb2   

This season in a league where you keep 10. He's not worth a 3rd. 10+3=13. So you are saying he's not worth a 13th round pick?

7 hours ago, Super Cubs said:

This season in a league where you keep 10. He's not worth a 3rd. 10+3=13. So you are saying he's not worth a 13th round pick?

Sorry my apologies, I thought that was coming into this season. 

Of course he’s worth a 13 round pick, just read your other post wrong. Even worth higher then that.  

But I would keep him.  

I don’t know, Montgomery has played three games vs teams in his division, he’s avg 16 non ppr against them. 

Last time he played at the Vikings, he scored 17 non ppr points.  

And he’s rolling right now. 

From fantasypros.......FWIW

David Montgomery: I’m always trying to find interesting stats to show you just how much opportunity running backs have, so I thought you’d like this one: When active, Montgomery has played 72.1 percent of the Bears offensive snaps, which is the highest percentage by a running back not named Christian McCaffrey or Ezekiel Elliott. He’s turned it on when fantasy managers have needed him most, averaging 136.7 total yards and 1.3 touchdowns over the last three weeks. That’s the good news. The not-so-good news is that his three opponents in those games ranked as the No. 30, No. 31, and No. 32 defenses against running backs, while his Week 15 matchup isn’t all that great. The Vikings ranks as the 15th-toughest matchup for running backs, but once you factor in weighted opportunity they’ve faced, they’re the ninth-toughest matchup for running backs from an efficiency standpoint. Going back to his last three matchups, the Texans, Lions, and Packers were the three best matchups from an efficiency standpoint. They’re not an impenetrable defense, allowing 4.39 yards per carry, but they’ve tightened up when they need to and have allowed just eight rushing touchdowns on the year. There have been just three running backs who’ve topped 80 yards on the ground against them, and each of those running backs saw 21-plus carries, a number Montgomery has seen just once all season. Even through the air, it’s been tough sledding for running backs, as the Vikings have yet to allow a running back total more than 36 receiving yards. Montgomery is getting enough work to play even in tough matchups but dial back expectations in this game to the mid-to-low-end RB2 territory.

Mid to low rb 2 , looks like he’s good to start  

Rb2 should never be on the bench. 

This guy is tearing it up, and I see him sitting I benches. 

Oh my soul.  

I did try to get him when he was injured , but that owner wouldn’t make a move. M

41 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

He may be RB #1 next week 

Man, let's hope so.....

Another fantastic game from Montgomery 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, weepaws said:

Another fantastic game from Montgomery 

yes, he may have put me over the top.   Too early to say for sure, but his big week helped me a lot

7 hours ago, Ray_T said:

yes, he may have put me over the top.   Too early to say for sure, but his big week helped me a lot

I hope so. 

Thank you David Montgomery for the championship! Hell of an 11th round pick

He's going to be drafted entirely too high next year on the basis of the past few weeks.  Don't be the one who falls for it.

32 minutes ago, t.j said:

Thank you David Montgomery for the championship! Hell of an 11th round pick

11th round?!?

22 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

He's going to be drafted entirely too high next year on the basis of the past few weeks.  Don't be the one who falls for it.

He ended the year as RB#6 in my 12-man standard, even after that horrendous start. I am still waiting for someone to explain the sudden turn-around. Same guys blocking/Same coaching staff. I guess the light just finally came on.

Surely he won't be a late-first next year. Even as a believer in his abilities, I wouldn't take him until the 2nd.

1 minute ago, stonewall said:

He ended the year as RB#6 in my 12-man standard, even after that horrendous start. I am still waiting for someone to explain the sudden turn-around. Same guys blocking/Same coaching staff. I guess the light just finally came on.

Well, he's gotten a lot more attempts in December (20.75 attempts per game) than he had in the previous 10 games (14.2 attempts per game)--and he has 6 of his 7 rushing TDs on the season in December as well.

The last 2 weeks he has averaged 27.5 (!!!) rushing attempts per game--but then that happens when the backfield competition consists of Ryan Nall and Cordarrelle Patterson.

The last two weeks are also the first two times all season that Montgomery has rushed for more than 60 yards after you take away his long for the week.  So I guess you could say the secret to his recent success has been volume.  I doubt if he continues to average over 20 carries per game when Cohen is back next year, though.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Well, he's gotten a lot more attempts in December (20.75 attempts per game) than he had in the previous 10 games (14.2 attempts per game)

No doubt that volume is king, and he definitely got to finally showcase his receiving skills without Cohen...but there is something else to it. I got to watch him a couple of times the last few weeks, and I finally saw the same guy I used to see at Iowa State....Tough and shifty RB with a low-center of gravity, breaking tackles, nose for the end zone, and turning short passes into long gains. 

One thing's for sure: After what he did late this year, he will get his shot to replicate next season.