Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Best way to sleep in a pickup?

I always thought those truck bed tents were pretty cool. Fairly cheap too.

If it's cold, I would suggest lighting yourself on fire after drinking about a quart of tequilla.  You won't feel a thing.

I just paid the Vietnamese restaurant across the street 10 dollars to use their crapper. Not a good start. I am not sure what I will do if my stomach does not get better. The restaurant closes in 30 minutes.

7 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I just paid the Vietnamese restaurant across the street 10 dollars to use their crapper. Not a good start. I am not sure what I will do if my stomach does not get better. The restaurant closes in 30 minutes.

10 bucks? I'd have sh!t on the sidewalk. 

10 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

10 bucks? I'd have sh!t on the sidewalk. 

The night is not over, let's not rule anything out yet.

14 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

If it's cold, I would suggest lighting yourself on fire after drinking about a quart of tequilla.  You won't feel a thing.

At what point would you use a cheese grater on your ball sack ?

9 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

So let's here about the f'n fish!  :dunno:

Sounds like he's dealing with mostly the brown trout.

1 hour ago, BiPolarBear said:

So let's here about the f'n fish!  :dunno:

We got a late start on Thursday and did not have as much time to fish as I would have liked. We started fishing some grass marshes, but only caught a couple undersized redfish.  As it got close to sundown we moved to deeper, 10 foot water and fished live shrimp on the bottom near some gas wells. We managed a few black drum, a few sheepshead, and even a couple mangrove snapper.

Friday morning was better, we starting fishing the grass marshes and the speckled trout fishing was great. Immediately starting hooking up on trout using a 1/4 ounce jig with a pumpkin seed colored soft plastic. I was getting hits every cast and the water was clear enough i saw quite a few of them. They were hitting the lure all the way up to the boat. About half of what we were landing were keepers, and the other half were undersized. I caught one that was pushing 20", but nothing like what you would expect from winter trout fishing. Most people are chasing the 28" plus fish this time of year.

We also caught one keeper redfish and a few undersized redfish, but mostly trout. After an hour and half or so the fishing shut off, and we went to the wells in the deep water and they did not produce. I got one more sheepsheed, and my buddy put another black drum in the cooler.

We moved to a different spot and caught a few more undersized redfish and a couple undersized flounder. Some kayakers pulled up next to us because we were fishing a spot that looked fishy, however when they showed us their stringer it put us to shame. They each had a full stringer of redfish in the 25" range and a full stringer of nice trout.

I think we still did pretty good considering it was only the second time we fished that bay. I am working this week a couple days, so i can save some vacation. My buddy works in oil and gas and is furloughed every friday from now until the end of the year. I hope he invites me to go fishing one more time. I think with a little more knowledge the fishing could be great.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

We got a late start on Thursday and did not have as much time to fish as I would have liked. We started fishing some grass marshes, but only caught a couple undersized redfish.  As it got close to sundown we moved to deeper, 10 foot water and fished live shrimp on the bottom near some gas wells. We managed a few black drum, a few sheepshead, and even a couple mangrove snapper.

Friday morning was better, we starting fishing the grass marshes and the speckled trout fishing was great. Immediately starting hooking up on trout using a 1/4 ounce jig with a pumpkin seed colored soft plastic. I was getting hits every cast and the water was clear enough i saw quite a few of them. They were hitting the lure all the way up to the boat. About half of what we were landing were keepers, and the other half were undersized. I caught one that was pushing 20", but nothing like what you would expect from winter trout fishing. Most people are chasing the 28" plus fish this time of year.

We also caught one keeper redfish and a few undersized redfish, but mostly trout. After an hour and half or so the fishing shut off, and we went to the wells in the deep water and they did not produce. I got one more sheepsheed, and my buddy put another black drum in the cooler.

We moved to a different spot and caught a few more undersized redfish and a couple undersized flounder. Some kayakers pulled up next to us because we were fishing a spot that looked fishy, however when they showed us their stringer it put us to shame. They each had a full stringer of redfish in the 25" range and a full stringer of nice trout.

I think we still did pretty good considering it was only the second time we fished that bay. I am working this week a couple days, so i can save some vacation. My buddy works in oil and gas and is furloughed every friday from now until the end of the year. I hope he invites me to go fishing one more time. I think with a little more knowledge the fishing could be great.

Thank you for the fish report!  I would kill to have a day just like you had. The possibilities here stink, stank, stunk.

I have an old 12 foot Porta-Bote that I will recondition over the winter. When that is ready, I will go to a State Park and camp, or at least get out of the immediate area a tad. 

1 hour ago, BiPolarBear said:

Thank you for the fish report!  I would kill to have a day just like you had. The possibilities here stink, stank, stunk.

I have an old 12 foot Porta-Bote that I will recondition over the winter. When that is ready, I will go to a State Park and camp, or at least get out of the immediate area a tad. 

It looks to be about a 5 hour drive, and you could fish some of the bays with that boat. If you ever want to do that I bet I could borrow a kayak and meet you down there. Turtle Bay and East Matagorda bay are both easily kayakable, and you would have no problem in a portabote.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Goose Island State park will put you close to some pretty good fishing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

It looks to be about a 5 hour drive, and you could fish some of the bays with that boat. If you ever want to do that I bet I could borrow a kayak and meet you down there. Turtle Bay and East Matagorda bay are both easily kayakable, and you would have no problem in a portabote.

That sounds great! I will start work on the boat. I have a 5hp Komatsu gas engine for it that should work too. 

On 11/22/2020 at 1:37 PM, MTSkiBum said:

We got a late start on Thursday

How? You were camped on the focking beach in your rig?

Idiot.

You get in the back seat and fall asleep :dunno: 

Sleeping outside would be foolish. Of course, my back seat in my truck is big and spacious. I’ve taken a nap in there a few times. There’s also this if you absolutely need something 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BYL3SYD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_PpjVFbFD4A878?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Its an air mattress that fits in your backseat. They got quite a few of them on Amazon 

Best "sleeping" pickup I ever had was a Chevy Avalanche.

Had hard tonneau cover, and a "midgate" that if you took it out, it created a completely open space between the back seat and back end. 

The rear seats folded flat (forward). So..you could have your head in the cab/front end (so you didn't feel claustrophobic) and your legs into the back end under the tonneau.

Leave the vehicle run, the heat (or a/c) on and the radio on...and perfect for sleeping. 

I never slept there, but a guy did on the way to West Yellowstone for a snowmobile trip.  Someone else slept on the way home.