Sign in to follow this  
edjr

I'm worried about a friend of mine

Golf buddy, let's just call him Bob.

He's 61 and going through a bad divorce. His 30 year old, giant son has threatened his life multiple times.

They still live together for now, he lives in the basement. He has 0 money to do anything and they made an agreement to not touch their money until the divorce is over, including 401k.

He took out $700 from his 401k and had a check send to him, his thinking was she wouldn't know. He asked me to cash the check for him yesterday, which I did yesterday. I only gave him $200 until it cleared. (you know, just to be safe) It cleared this morning and text him to ask if he wants the rest at 8 am (no reply), then I text again at 11 (no reply) and then I called at 11:30 and got 1 ring FU button. 

He always replies/answers pretty quickly. The fact I owe him $500 for the check and he isn't answering has me worried. 

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

He's 61 and going through a bad divorce. His 30 year old, giant son has threatened his life multiple times.

They still live together for now, he lives in the basement. He has 0 money to do anything and they made an agreement to not touch their money until the divorce is over, including 401k.

He took out $700 from his 401k and had a check send to him, his thinking was she wouldn't know. He asked me to cash the check for him yesterday, which I did yesterday. I only gave him $200 until it cleared. (you know, just to be safe) It cleared this morning and text him to ask if he wants the rest at 8 am (no reply), then I text again at 11 (no reply) and then I called at 11:30 and got 1 ring FU button. 

He always replies/answers pretty quickly. The fact I owe him $500 for the check and he isn't answering has me worried. 

Not that it matters to the situation but did the son threaten to take his own life or the fathers? 

Just now, KayJay1971 said:

Not that it matters to the situation but did the son threaten to take his own life or the fathers? 

Father's. Bob woke up one morning and his son was standing over him and said "you're lucky I don't kill you"

If it were a family member you could ask the local PD do a wellness check. Unless you say you have reason to believe he may be in danger. You will have to articulate that. Outside of you or some one else checking on him, that’s about all you can do. If anyone does go over there, do not go alone and record. 

1 minute ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Get in shape and get a makeover. You'll thank me later when your Dateline episode airs.

I'm not married. Sorry.

Just now, edjr said:

Father's. Bob woke up one morning and his son was standing over him and said "you're lucky I don't kill you"

That’s not gonna cut it.  Specific threat is what you need 

Is there a possibility that the father could stay with you for a while to get him out of a possibly really bad situation? 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If it were a family member you could ask the local PD do a wellness check. Unless you say you have reason to believe he may be in danger. You will have to articulate that. Outside of you or some one else checking on him, that’s about all you can do. If anyone does go over there, do not go alone and record. 

Good advice.

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s not gonna cut it.  Specific threat is what you need 

Just answering KJ

Is there a possibility that the father could stay with you for a while to get him out of a possibly really bad situation? 

This has been going on for years. Just getting around to a divorce. A few years ago, Bob kinda went and spent all their savings on cocaine. Hence the hostility.

And you won't be looking like a slob on TV..meh.

being dead is one way to fix it

Just now, edjr said:

This has been going on for years. Just getting around to a divorce. A few years ago, Bob kinda went and spent all their savings on cocaine. Hence the hostility.

Well at least it went to something worthwhile. So the son is just pissed and most likely not looking to end his fathers life.

Just now, edjr said:

Bob is insane if he stays there. It never works out. He would be better off in a homeless shelter. 

Well at least it went to something worthwhile. So the son is just pissed and most likely not looking to end his fathers life.

He is taking the mother's side and hates his father's guts, i know that

Bob is insane if he stays there. It never works out. He would be better off in a homeless shelter. 

Agreed. But he's poor (gas station manager)  and can't afford to live on his own.

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

I'm starting to side with the kid.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I'm starting to side with the kid.

Same.  I should have known based on the original post.

12 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

bob's a focking loser :wave:

I am sure you're too good to have friend's that have ever focked up. :rolleyes:

I think you should text him again.  Tell him thanks for doing business and good luck.  If he doesn't respond, do a wellness check like HT suggested.

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I think you should text him again.  Tell him thanks for doing business and good luck.  If he doesn't respond, do a wellness check like HT suggested.

I know where he works, I might head over for lunch

We all got them. If you don’t you’re a disloyal front runner. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

We all got them. If you don’t you’re a disloyal front runner. 

aka Eagles fan.

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

I know where he works, I might head over for lunch

Can you call the place? I assumed he wasn’t working today since you didn’t already try that.

correct

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Can you call the place? I assumed he wasn’t working today since you didn’t already try that.

Good idea

Getting involved with phucked up folks just adds a number person to their head count.

Had a great friend of mine who was ruining his life with booze. He credits his wife and peer pressure to straighten up. Doing great, so glad he’s here. Lost another one who hid it. If we had known it might have turned out different. 

Had a great friend of mine who was ruining his life with booze. He credits his wife and peer pressure to straighten up. Doing great, so glad he’s here. 

Mocking and getting on people's azz sure. Financial stuff, loaning money, holding money...no thanks. Got burned on that once.

Called his work, he answered.  I'm like WHAT THE FOCK! who doesn't answer their phone when someone owes them money

"I was on a conference call he says.

headed over soon to give him the $

• Thanks 1

Mocking and getting on people's azz sure. Financial stuff, loaning money, holding money...no thanks. Got burned on that once.

I cashed a bank check, I knew it was safe.

Just now, edjr said:

I cashed a bank check, I knew it was safe.

Doesn't sound like you did from my vantage point. Sounds like you were kinda leaning that it was, no?

38 minutes ago, edjr said:

Agreed. But he's poor (gas station manager)  and can't afford to live on his own.

Can't afford to live on his own but CAN afford to golf.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Called his work, he answered.  I'm like WHAT THE FOCK! who doesn't answer their phone when someone owes them money

"I was on a conference call he says.

headed over soon to give him the $

:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

Ive lent money. Never planned on getting it back, but sometimes you gotta help them get through the week. To a point. 

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Can't afford to live on his own but CAN afford to golf.  :lol:

So the deal with his wife, he can use money for golf only. no hookers or cocaine. She barged in on him one night, because he spent $40 on dinner at a restaurant and said "who are you focking"   if you seen him, he's not focking anyone for $40.

• Haha 1