Fireballer

Storing meat in freezer

For years I've stocked all sorts of meat (store bought, venison, fish) in a deep freezer.  I've used a vacuum sealer for the most part.  My vacuum sealer died, and I just started throwing store packaged meat in the freezer, which is obviously not optimal. Its really quite a pain in the a$$ to use the vacuum sealer.  You have to get the meat just barely frozen and then vacuum seal it.  If you vacuum seal raw meat, its sucks blood and juices into the vacuum sealer.  Anyone have any tried and true methods?  Foil? Paper? Ziplock?  

I buy half a beef every year.  The butcher wraps the steaks and roast in  saran wrap then in butcher's paper  and it's still good a year later.

When they found Carbone in the meat truck, he was frozen so stiff it took them three days to thaw him out for the autopsy.

20 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Glad we got that outta the way quickly...

I know how this operates. 

I use foil for hamburger and steaks and a ziplock for bacon,have never had an issue with either.

we use a vacuum sealer and never seem to have a problem with blood or whatever. 

55 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

For years I've stocked all sorts of meat (store bought, venison, fish) in a deep freezer.  I've used a vacuum sealer for the most part.  My vacuum sealer died, and I just started throwing store packaged meat in the freezer, which is obviously not optimal. Its really quite a pain in the a$$ to use the vacuum sealer.  You have to get the meat just barely frozen and then vacuum seal it.  If you vacuum seal raw meat, its sucks blood and juices into the vacuum sealer.  Anyone have any tried and true methods?  Foil? Paper? Ziplock?  

Put a tampon in there to soak up the blood first? :dunno:

19 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Put a tampon in there to soak up the blood first? :dunno:

Maybe MDC can loan him one.

2 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I suck the air out..😍

Are you talking about buttholes again? 

The freezer bags usually work well. Just make sure you get the air out and it should be fine. For fish, usually put water in the bag with the fish to freeze as well 

19 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

The freezer bags usually work well. Just make sure you get the air out and it should be fine. For fish, usually put water in the bag with the fish to freeze as well 

Have you ever tried to seal seal? 

I have tried freezing the meat before vacuum sealing, but it does not work as well for me. 

I have no issue with beef in vacuum sealing and juices being sucked up. For chicken, I pay them dry before putting them in the bag. Most vacuum sealers have a “wet” setting to minimize that sort of issue. 

32 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Have you ever tried to seal seal? 

I tried but he overpowered me.  :(

It got a little crazy.  :mellow:

31 minutes ago, Mookz said:

I tried but he overpowered me.  :(

It got a little crazy.  :mellow:

Who's pants came off first? Yes, that matters 

I store mine in your mom

Just now, edjr said:

I store mine in your mom

While yall were on the moon?

4 hours ago, KayJay1971 said:

I store my meat in your mom. HTH

• Like 1

Saran Wrap and vacuum seal form me. Just had to buy a new sealer myself. 

Wrap my meat in suran wrap, then in zip lock bags - never a problem. I've even defrosted/eaten tamales 2 years old - all good. 

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Wrap my meat in suran wrap, then in zip lock bags - never a problem. I've even defrosted/eaten tamales 2 years old - all good. 

Now I want mexican food. Already pattied up a burger. Diiick 

7 hours ago, Fireballer said:

The vacuum sealers that you and I buy, I think struggles with sucking blood/water and not sealing, etc.
 I don't think the ones meat stores use do that. 

I had a vacuum sealer....and you're right...pain in the ass. 

I don't think Ziploc freezer bags are the answer.
I don't know if paper is the answer.
I doubt like hell foil is the answer. 

I don't have a good answer. 

I'm surprised someone hasn't came up with something better. I mean, the vacuum sealer was supposed to be "better". Not sure if it is for consumers.

I know a lot of people that got the great idea of vacuum sealing.

I don't know any that still do it.  It seems like it goes well until folks learn it's a pain in the ass. 

3 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Not me. The tamales never lasted long enough for me to freeze them lol. I do miss holiday tamales. No one around here knows how to make them 😔

12 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

The vacuum sealers that you and I buy, I think struggles with sucking blood/water and not sealing, etc.
 I don't think the ones meat stores use do that. 

I had a vacuum sealer....and you're right...pain in the ass. 

I don't think Ziploc freezer bags are the answer.
I don't know if paper is the answer.
I doubt like hell foil is the answer. 

I don't have a good answer. 

I'm surprised someone hasn't came up with something better. I mean, the vacuum sealer was supposed to be "better". Not sure if it is for consumers.

I know a lot of people that got the great idea of vacuum sealing.

I don't know any that still do it.  It seems like it goes well until folks learn it's a pain in the ass. 

I use mine all the time. Chicken breast, pork chops, steaks, etc. I go to the clubs (Sam's, BJ's) and get some big ass packages of good meat. Eat some before freezing the rest. Did it a ton this summer when I was pretty much grilling every night.

20 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Who's pants came off first? Yes, that matters 

Well, mine.  But it was all part of my ploy.  🤔