Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Rams at Buccaneers: MNF Discussion

Up until TB's final scoring drive, that completion from Brady to Brady to Evans put me down by 0.5 pts, and I thought I was going to lose on that BS ruling. Still don't understand how an illegal completion can stand for positive yardage. (Godwin's TD late got me the W)

0-19 on passes that go for 20 plus yards the past month, I saw that on roto, that’s amazing. 

3rd & 10 at TB 34

(12:17 - 4th) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 12-T.Brady to TB 25 for -9 yards. T.Brady pass short middle to M.Evans to TB 42 for 8 yards (J.Johnson III) [M.Fox]. Penalty on TB-T.Brady, Illegal Forward Pass, declined. Statistically, no completion for first pass as a result of the declined penalty

~espn.com

8 minutes ago, kutulu said:

3rd & 10 at TB 34

(12:17 - 4th) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 12-T.Brady to TB 25 for -9 yards. T.Brady pass short middle to M.Evans to TB 42 for 8 yards (J.Johnson III) [M.Fox]. Penalty on TB-T.Brady, Illegal Forward Pass, declined. Statistically, no completion for first pass as a result of the declined penalty

~espn.com

Exactly. They nullified the "legal" play of Brady to Brady, yet allowed the illegal second forward pass that resulted in an extra 1.8 points for Evans in PPR. How is that correct? 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/tom-brady-double-pass-buccaneers-rams/17be1kmajmf991nasyjdxhzi65#:~:text=A penalty flag flew immediately,forward for a second time.&text=But because the Rams had,result of the play stood.

I understand the fact that the Rams could have accepted the penalty, which would have negated the play entirely. But I just don't understand why they negated the first legal pass, but allowed the illegal play to stand. Fantasy wise, someone out there got screwed from the ruling.

17 minutes ago, pipeman said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/tom-brady-double-pass-buccaneers-rams/17be1kmajmf991nasyjdxhzi65#:~:text=A penalty flag flew immediately,forward for a second time.&text=But because the Rams had,result of the play stood.

I understand the fact that the Rams could have accepted the penalty, which would have negated the play entirely. But I just don't understand why they negated the first legal pass, but allowed the illegal play to stand. Fantasy wise, someone out there got screwed from the ruling.

Because the first "legal" pass wasn't the final outcome of the play.  The final outcome of the play is what get's logged as the play that happened.  Well, at least that's what they said on NFL Radio this afternoon.

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

0-19 on passes that go for 20 plus yards the past month, I saw that on roto, that’s amazing. 

It is amazing. If he went 0-4 in a single game, you could call it a fluke, but 0-19 over a month. WOW

Unless he can improve, that would be a huge advantage to whatever defense he's playing going forward.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:46 AM, nobody said:

Name 3?  I have a great recall for stuff like this.  I may have seen it one time and I watch a lot of football.  

Farve for sure did it once 

1 hour ago, Canadianfan said:

Farve for sure did it once 

If you're thinking of his first NFL completion to himself, that wasn't a DOUBLE forward pass, that was just a completion to himself and then he ran with it.  Nothing illegal about that.

If you're thinking of another time, and Favre did indeed throw two forward passes on the same play at some point, then so be it.

Favre caught a pass from himself at least twice.  I saw him do it with the vikings.  I think he knew enough to know throwing the second pass is illegal.

7 minutes ago, nobody said:

Favre caught a pass from himself at least twice.  I saw him do it with the vikings.  I think he knew enough to know throwing the second pass is illegal.

That's kind of the cool thing about what Brady did, though.

I think he knows that throwing the second pass is illegal, but if he doesn't throw the second pass, he's sacked for a loss and it's fourth down, drive over.

By throwing the second pass, he gave them a CHANCE of continuing the drive if the Rams had accepted the penalty for an illegal pass.  An illegal forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage does not carry a loss of down, so if he would have completed the pass for a first down, the Rams would have had no choice but to accept the penalty, giving Brady another 3rd down opportunity, which he would have salvaged from a certain drive-ending sack by intentionally throwing an illegal second forward pass.

My hypothesis is Brady didn't want to take a hit, so he just threw it.  I doubt there was much strategy behind it.  I mean he forgot what down it was against the Bears.  When it gets close to his bedtime his mental faculties go down hill.

21 hours ago, AxeElf said:

That's kind of the cool thing about what Brady did, though.

I think he knows that throwing the second pass is illegal, but if he doesn't throw the second pass, he's sacked for a loss and it's fourth down, drive over.

By throwing the second pass, he gave them a CHANCE of continuing the drive if the Rams had accepted the penalty for an illegal pass.  An illegal forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage does not carry a loss of down, so if he would have completed the pass for a first down, the Rams would have had no choice but to accept the penalty, giving Brady another 3rd down opportunity, which he would have salvaged from a certain drive-ending sack by intentionally throwing an illegal second forward pass.

lol funny stuff.   There's no way Brady had this scenario programmed in his head.  It was purely an instinctive get the ball out of hand before I get clobbered move.  Cute though Axe

5 hours ago, Canadianfan said:

There's no way Brady had this scenario programmed in his head.

Yeah, there's no way anyone who has lived, breathed, and mastered throwing forward passes for the past 30 years could understand the vagaries of the illegal forward pass rule.

Good analysis, Dr. Freud.

I think he just panicked.

1. He shotput the ball out.  That had a better chance at being intercepted than going for a first down allowing for a 3rd and 13 after penalty.
  2. He pretty obviously hates getting hit.  He basically curls up in a ball when he sees it coming.
  3. We're talking about a guy who forgot what down it was on a game ending drive.  I don't think he has the wherewithal to practice 3rd down passes getting batted back into his hands.
  4. Arians has repeatedly said Brady has made bad decisions so it's not like Brady is some football mastermind.  He left that guy in New England.
  5. Brady wasn't the one who was situationally great in New England.  It was Belichick.  Those guys practice situational football.  I'm confident at least 2 of Brady's super bowls aren't there with even the 2nd best coach in football.  (The read the rule book playoff game is a loss without Belichick and the San Diego win where he played Troy Brown at defensive back)

On 11/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, pipeman said:

Up until TB's final scoring drive, that completion from Brady to Brady to Evans put me down by 0.5 pts, and I thought I was going to lose on that BS ruling. Still don't understand how an illegal completion can stand for positive yardage. (Godwin's TD late got me the W)

well, it happens. 

a number of years ago i faced someone who had (I think it was manning, might have been farve)  the pass was batted at the line and went up in the air.  he caught it and ran it in for a score.

end result,  QB got a passing TD, a receiving TD and passing/receiving yards too.

it was a big play for him.

On 11/26/2020 at 12:37 PM, nobody said:

Twat :mad: 

On 11/27/2020 at 3:59 PM, AxeElf said:

Yeah, there's no way anyone who has lived, breathed, and mastered throwing forward passes for the past 30 years could understand the vagaries of the illegal forward pass rule.

Good analysis, Dr. Freud.

do you have any friends?

5 hours ago, Canadianfan said:

do you have any friends?

Why, one Axe Elf isn't enough for you?