Sign in to follow this  
TimHauck

Kenny Golladay

It's a contract year for him, the motivation to get back should be high. He's going to want top 10 WR money on the open market.  And I've got to assume he's going to try and get out of Detroit 

Yeah but I was reading some people speculating that wanting to get out of Detroit could be a reason he’s not playing now

I guess that's possible.   But couldn't he make some money on the way out with some video?  

He's a UFA and can leave no matter what.   Not playing could hurt his bottom line 

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Yeah but I was reading some people speculating that wanting to get out of Detroit could be a reason he’s not playing now

So he’s not injured? He’s just sitting out, faking the injury? 

Lost cause this year. Drafted him as no 1 receiver hoping for big things.  Injury prone I guess or maybe his way of holding out. 😕😱

I hope it’s not a hold out, can’t trust that going forward.  

2 hours ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

It's a contract year for him, the motivation to get back should be high. He's going to want top 10 WR money on the open market.  And I've got to assume he's going to try and get out of Detroit 

The motivation to get off this abomination of a team is probably bigger.

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I'm one of them. 

On 11/25/2020 at 4:19 PM, lod001 said:

So just quit on your team?  I get not liking Patricia because he's an ahole but those players are out there fighting with him every week.   Stafford is one of the good guys in the NFL.   Also as much as the fords are a bunch of total losers,  they drafted him and gave him a chance.   

I think it's in golladays best interest not to become a total diva when he hasn't put it together for very long. 

5 hours ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

So just quit on your team?  I get not liking Patricia because he's an ahole but those players are out there fighting with him every week.   Stafford is one of the good guys in the NFL.   Also as much as the fords are a bunch of total losers,  they drafted him and gave him a chance.   

I think it's in golladays best interest not to become a total when he hasn't put it together for very long. 

Agreed. 

I don’t see him quitting. 

On 11/25/2020 at 4:19 PM, lod001 said:

I'm beginning to think you may be right.  He is not even trying to practice.  Maybe he's just washing his hands of the organization and will take what he can get on the open market.  

Wouldn’t that type of attitude, if that’s true he’s simply done playing for the Lions, hurt him in the market, what would keep it from happening once again ? 

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

Wouldn’t that type of attitude, if that’s true he’s simply done playing for the Lions, hurt him in the market, what would keep it from happening once again ? 

agreed.  if this is true it speaks to character.

I want a guy on my team who would play just for the love of the game.    in my mind, the player who loves money more than he loves playing is not the guy you want on your team.

9 hours ago, Ray_T said:

in my mind, the player who loves money more than he loves playing is not the guy you want on your team.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Money matters for these guys, and it should.  They're choosing to "play" a game that more than likely will effect their quality of life.  Football is ridiculously violent and guys are going to get badly hurt.  It's easy to say that they're choosing to play but then again who wouldn't?  It's like a winning lottery ticket with side effects.  You're willing to take the gamble for the payoff that could set your family up for generations to come. 

I agree it's a bad look if he indeed is not that badly hurt, but lets be honest the money is a big deal.  I think most players understand that and would be more willing to give Golladay a pass than fans would.

13 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The love of money is the root of all evil.

“So you think that money is the root of all evil? [...] Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?”

- Ayn Rand...

13 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Money matters for these guys, and it should.  They're choosing to "play" a game that more than likely will effect their quality of life.  Football is ridiculously violent and guys are going to get badly hurt.  It's easy to say that they're choosing to play but then again who wouldn't?  It's like a winning lottery ticket with side effects.  You're willing to take the gamble for the payoff that could set your family up for generations to come. 

I agree it's a bad look if he indeed is not that badly hurt, but lets be honest the money is a big deal.  I think most players understand that and would be more willing to give Golladay a pass than fans would.

I agree with what your saying, I just think if he is indeed sitting out because he’s unhappy playing for the Lions, I would be a little hesitant to sign him, wondering what if he does it again.  

Anyway I do agree. 

11 minutes ago, jrokh said:

So you think that money is the root of all evil? [...] Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?

- Ayn Rand...

No....just the love of it, that causes most to forsake far nobler and enduring purposes.

3 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I agree with what your saying, I just think if he is indeed sitting out because he’s unhappy playing for the Lions, I would be a little hesitant to sign him, wondering what if he does it again.  

Anyway I do agree. 

Yeah, I think it's a bad look and said before I think its in his best interest to get back on the field if he can.  But who knows, maybe his agent already knows about a few teams that would take him and understand what a horrible organization Detroit is.

11 minutes ago, jrokh said:

“So you think that money is the root of all evil? [...] Have you ever asked what is the root of money? Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?”

- Ayn Rand...

Having money isn’t a evil thing , the love of money is the root of all evil.  

People make money by using people in bad ways , they use people by trading them for awfull horrific things, only the love of money would produce people that would want to use people like that.  

Look around in today’s world, and look at how money is being used to do bad things, in today’s society  bad things are being produced, for the pleasure of money, root of evil for the love of money. 

People kill , and exchange people for sexual desires and this includes children, that’s a evil root of the love of money. 

4 minutes ago, Jarvis Basnight said:

Yeah, I think it's a bad look and said before I think its in his best interest to get back on the field if he can.  But who knows, maybe his agent already knows about a few teams that would take him and understand what a horrible organization Detroit is.

Could be. 

15 minutes ago, stonewall said:

No....just the love of it, that causes most to forsake far nobler and enduring purposes.

That's kind of like saying that Guns are cool, its just some people's love of shooting them that make it bad. Or Heroin is awesome, it is the world's most effective pain killer, it's just when people abuse it that the problems begin. Again, Ms. Rand states it clearly- "Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value". If People followed that simple principle no one would suggest that Money is the root of all evil. Money is largely irrelevant. Bad people who engage in evil are the root of evil...

5 minutes ago, jrokh said:

If People followed that simple principle no one would suggest that Money is the root of all evil.

No one HAS suggested that money was the root of all evil.  You're still missing the distinction that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

And I know this site frowns on religious discourse, but saying that "the love of money is the root of all evil," is just one way for the Bible to tell us that selfishness (the original sin spoken of in Genesis--wanting to be our own gods) is the root of all evil.

You see, hate isn't the opposite of love--even God hates.  Selfishness is the opposite of love--you can act in the interest of others, or you can act in your own self-interest, and in most cases, the closer you are to one, the further you are from the other.  So the human nature of selfishness is the root of all evil, while God's nature of love is the root of all that is good.

Guns are cool, they aren’t cool when people use them to do bad things with them, I’ve been around a guns most of my life, and I’ve yet to see a loaded gun sitting on a table shoot anything.  

Any type of drug can be good to someone that needs the help of the drug, but one can overdose if used wrong , even drinking alcohol isn’t a problem, until one starts to fall in love with its effects, then it becomes a problem. 

If people used money for the intent of just to buy and sale material items , like it was supposed to be, that’s not evil, evil comes when one loves it so much, one uses it to do evil with the power that comes with having money to use to do evil, and not good, like trading. 

4 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

No one HAS suggested that money was the root of all evil.  You're still missing the distinction that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil.

And I know this site frowns on religious discourse, but saying that "the love of money is the root of all evil," is just one way for the Bible to tell us that selfishness (the original sin spoken of in Genesis--wanting to be our own gods) is the root of all evil.

You see, hate isn't the opposite of love--even God hates.  Selfishness is the opposite of love--you can act in the interest of others, or you can act in your own self-interest, and in most cases, the closer you are to one, the further you are from the other.  So the human nature of selfishness is the root of all evil, while God's nature of love is the root of all that is good.

Amen. 

Great post.  

4 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Guns are cool, they aren’t cool when people use them to do bad things with them, I’ve been around a guns most of my life, and I’ve yet to see a loaded gun sitting on a table shoot anything.  

Any type of drug can be good to someone that needs the help of the drug, but one can overdose if used wrong , even drinking alcohol isn’t a problem, until one starts to fall in love with its effects, then it becomes a problem. 

If people used money for the intent of just to buy and sale material items , like it was supposed to be, that’s not evil, evil comes when one loves it so much, one uses it to do evil with the power that comes with having money to use to do evil, and not good, like trading. 

Exactly, people who choose to commit evil is the root of evil. Love of money is not a root of evil. Plenty of people who ‘love’ money do things the right way and aren’t evil. Money has nothing to do with evil

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

I just think if he is indeed sitting out because he’s unhappy playing for the Lions, I would be a little hesitant to sign him, wondering what if he does it again.  

If a player is perceived to have talent, there is likely at least one team willing to overlook a lot of selfishness, taking plays/seasons off, bad work habits/attitude, criminality, etc.  And that player will usually get multiple chances.  Examples are numerous: Antonio Brown, LeVeon Bell, Randy Moss.....

52 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Amen. 

Great post.  

AxeElf just got an amen from weepaws.

We'd be wise to change the subject while there is still time.

Worlds are colliding.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Exactly, people who choose to commit evil is the root of evil. Love of money is not a root of evil. Plenty of people who ‘love’ money do things the right way and aren’t evil. Money has nothing to do with evil

But the love of money is evil, and it does lead into people using it for evil gains.  

17 minutes ago, stonewall said:

AxeElf just got an amen from weepaws.

We'd be wise to change the subject while there is still time.

Worlds are colliding.

I have no enemy’s on here.  

16 minutes ago, weepaws said:

But the love of money is evil, and it does lead into people using it for evil gains.  

No, the love of money is not evil. Money doesn't lead people to do anything. People can act or not act based on their volitional consciousness. A person can get money by working hard for it or by robbing a bank. Both people may 'love' money the exact same. Both are free to choose how they wish to obtain it. One way is evil and one way is good. The money does not cause either person to choose their path. Your example could replace money with lots of 'things' as the root of evil, it wouldn't matter. Love of Women, Love of Religion, etc. An inanimate object cannot be the root of evil, nor can an expressed emotion of said object be the root of evil...

Sure it is. 

Just now, weepaws said:

Sure it is. 

read Atlas Shrugged and get back to me...

6 minutes ago, jrokh said:

No, the love of money is not evil. Money doesn't lead people to do anything. People can act or not act based on their volitional consciousness. A person can get money by working hard for it or by robbing a bank. Both people may 'love' money the exact same. Both are free to choose how they wish to obtain it. One way is evil and one way is good. The money does not cause either person to choose their path. Your example could replace money with lots of 'things' as the root of evil, it wouldn't matter. Love of Women, Love of Religion, etc. An inanimate object cannot be the root of evil, nor can an expressed emotion of said object be the root of evil...

Wow, you really have a blind spot on the distinction between selfishness and the object of that selfishness, huh?

Let's try this.  If someone said that lusting after beautiful women was the root of all evil, would you try to rebut the idea that beautiful women are evil?

That's what you're doing here, only with money.  It's not the money that's bad, it's the selfishness when it comes to money (or anything else) that's bad.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

Wow, you really have a blind spot on the distinction between selfishness and the object of that selfishness, huh?

Let's try this.  If someone said that lusting after beautiful women was the root of all evil, would you try to rebut the idea that beautiful women are evil?

That's what you're doing here, only with money.  It's not the money that's bad, it's the selfishness when it comes to money (or anything else) that's bad.

I did rebut it. Money, Women, Religion, etc are not a 'root' of evil. People are free to choose how they behave and act. What separates man from animal is the concept of volitional consciousness.  sure selfishness of anything can be looked as a negative, but that's not what you said. what you said is "The love of money is the root of all evil". That is what I was directly rebutting, and You have done nothing to support your original statement, which you have now amended to something less absurd...

Just now, jrokh said:

You have done nothing to support your original statement, which you have now amended to something less absurd...

And by that, you just mean that you understand it better, since nothing I've said has been "amended" in any way.

So it's progress, but you still don't seem to be able to get past your blindspot on the object/action distinction.

I did my best, but it looks like you're dead set on wallowing helplessly in ignorance and confusion, so you're on your own now.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

And by that, you just mean that you understand it better, since nothing I've said has been "amended" in any way.

So it's progress, but you still don't seem to be able to get past your blindspot on the object/action distinction.

I did my best, but it looks like you're dead set on wallowing helplessly in ignorance and confusion, so you're on your own now.

No, you clearly don't understand the difference between what you originally said "love of money is the root of all evil" and your later thread pivot "  It's not the money that's bad, it's the selfishness when it comes to money (or anything else) that's bad" You see in the first statement you claim an absolute- love of money is the root of ALL Evil. In your second statement you remove the word EVIL and replace it with BAD. You also absolve love of money as the sole catalyst for evil and focus on selfishness of anything as bad (not evil). As for selfishness I will once again turn to the late, great. Ayn Rand-  “To love is to value. Only a rationally selfish man, a man of self esteem, is capable of love - because he is the only man capable of holding firm, consistent, uncompromising, unbetrayed value. The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone” 

" Selfishness does not mean only to do things for one's self. One may do things, affecting others, for his own pleasure and benefit. This is not immoral, but the highest of morality.

2 hours ago, Showboat said:

If a player is perceived to have talent, there is likely at least one team willing to overlook a lot of selfishness, taking plays/seasons off, bad work habits/attitude, criminality, etc.  And that player will usually get multiple chances.  Examples are numerous: Antonio Brown, LeVeon Bell, Randy Moss.....

True.  And I don't think Golladay is considered selfish.  I am probably biased (against the Lions since I live in Michigan) but I kind of think more than a few teams will realize he's leaving Detroit and give him a pass.  It's arguably the most poorly run organization in the NFL.  We feel empathetic for players that end up in Detroit (Sanders, Megatron, Stafford).  Good players that gave their all for a nothing organization.  Golladay may be so grateful to whichever team gets him out of there that he plays at an elite level going forward.

ETA: Note to self, must draft Golladay next year wherever he ends up.

18 minutes ago, jrokh said:

No, you clearly don't understand the difference between what you originally said "love of money is the root of all evil" and your later thread pivot "  It's not the money that's bad, it's the selfishness when it comes to money (or anything else) that's bad" You see in the first statement you claim an absolute- love of money is the root of ALL Evil. In your second statement you remove the word EVIL and replace it with BAD.

Trying to explain something to you isn't "pivoting."  It's using different words to say the same thing.  I was trying to get you to understand that "the love of money" denotes selfishness in general in that scripture.

But rest assured that "selfishness is bad," and "the love of money is the root of all evil," are functionally equivalent statements, in the context of the scripture.  I'm not equivocating, I'm just trying to get you to grasp your error by using synonymous language.

27 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Ayn Rand-  “To love is to value. Only a rationally selfish man, a man of self esteem, is capable of love - because he is the only man capable of holding firm, consistent, uncompromising, unbetrayed value. The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone”

God - "The greatest love is to lay down one's own life for another..." (i.e., the least selfish is the most loving)

Some use the words of God as a moral compass, others follow Ayn Rand--or anything else they think sounds good to them.