Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Playing in a 1 club tournament tomorrow. What club would you use?

Think I am going with the 6, maybe 5. I hit my 6, 160 and my 5, 170. It's going to be 50s, so might lose 10 yards per club. The par 3s are all over 170, so I can't get there in 1 no matter what I do.

You might try just 5 or 6.

I did this a handful of times and found that those two let me get decent distance while controlling the pitch

Just now, Mungwater said:

My best club is my seven

Me too.

I would probably go 6 although it would be 5 or 6 for me also. I have been playing 4 club all year at the local exec. Getting to green is way overrated. Finding a club you can putt with is everything. 

Hybrid may not be a bad choice.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

I would probably go 6 although it would be 5 or 6 for me also. I have been playing 4 club all year at the local exec. Getting to green is way overrated. Finding a club you can putt with is everything. 

Wonder how far I can hit the putter off the tee :d

Just now, edjr said:

Wonder how far I can hit the putter off the tee :d

Believe or not there is a legendary guy at the exec, who only uses putter. 

22 minutes ago, BufordT said:

7 iron 155 yards.  I can get 165 out of it if I really go after it.

This.  7 iron 

I know hardly anyone tries to chip or pitch much with anything more than a PW and maybe a 9 of you are a crafty old guy.  But in many of these events people think so much about what they will need distance wise.  Unless you are like a 5 handicap you are drilling 160 yard 7 irons straight and pure all the way around.  These come down to chipping and pitching mostly.  

Not saying much difference from a 6 to a 7.  But possibly an 8.  

Another gold thread?!?!? :mad:

I’d go 7. Not much difference distance wise between 6 and 7, but the 7 would feel much better chipping around the green.

Good luck and have fun!

My favorite club is my 8; I hit it about 140, 150 if I try.  I also use it for low running chip shots, so I have that feel.

I’m presuming that those 170+ par 3s don’t need a 170 carry, and I can safely land and chip on short of the green.

It’s weird how you like or dislike some clubs.  Most people love their 7, but my first set of (used) full clubs was missing a 7, so I threw in a POS 7 from an even older set.  I basically never used it, either hitting a harder 8 or a softer 6.  After college I finally got a real set of clubs, and the 7 was fine I guess, but I certainly underused it, because psychologically I still tended to avoid it.  About 15 years ago I lost it, and never bothered to replace it.  Part of that is I just haven’t played that much, but the truth is I just never cared for it enough to replace it.

Everybody always loves their sevens in these situations. I hit everything from 9-5 pretty well, whatever you are most comfortable with is the call. 6 would be tough for any yardages under 165 for me. Not sure I'd be able to dial that down enough to be accurate at all. I'd take an 8. Putting would be easier with a 6 though.

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Back in the day. Courses were designed with  a 7 iron in mind.  

7 iron is the club

Came here to say this 

14 minutes ago, Reality said:

Everybody always loves their sevens in these situations. I hit everything from 9-5 pretty well, whatever you are most comfortable with is the call. 6 would be tough for any yardages under 165 for me. Not sure I'd be able to dial that down enough to be accurate at all. I'd take an 8. Putting would be easier with a 6 though.

I totally agree. Pros use the 7 and we arent them. On one hand you should hit your straightest club, in the other, putting is darn near impossible with a short iron. You can count on many 3 and 4 putts from distance with a 7 or 8. I have 9 scheduled at our local exec tomorrow and I will do a 1 club to see what happens. Using a hybrid because the face and loft should be decent for putting.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

I totally agree. Pros use the 7 and we arent them. On one hand you should hit your straightest club, in the other, putting is darn near impossible with a short iron. You can count on many 3 and 4 putts from distance with a 7 or 8. I have 9 scheduled at our local exec tomorrow and I will do a 1 club to see what happens. Using a hybrid because the face and loft should be decent for putting.

But it’s fun to pretend we are.

2 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

But it’s fun to pretend we are.

It is. Right up until we hit the shot. I spent the whole year (50ish rounds) just concentrating on improving my scoring. Basically trying NOT to pretend I am a pro and just trying to avoid the high numbers. It works.

Don't forget tin cup won with a 7 iron too

Omfg I forgot about this! :lol: 

3 hours ago, edjr said:

Think I am going with the 6, maybe 5. I hit my 6, 160 and my 5, 170. It's going to be 50s, so might lose 10 yards per club. The par 3s are all over 170, so I can't get there in 1 no matter what I do.

3 iron. easier to putt which is essential 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, joneo said:

3 iron. easier to putt which is essential 

5 is my highest or lowest, and then I have hybrids

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

After getting all this phenomenal advice, I expect a championship.

Right, come home with your shield, or on it...

3 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

After getting all this phenomenal advice, I expect a championship.

It's a random draw (from a hat) to get a partner and no handicap. With my luck I'll get some cripple who picks a driver

I haven't seen that yet but it was on my list.  Thanks for the spoiler :cry:

I thought he used a shovel and a hoe

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

It's a random draw (from a hat) to get a partner and no handicap. With my luck I'll get some cripple who picks a driver

I don’t want to hear it.

Just now, edjr said:

I thought he used a shovel and a hoe

Miserable film. Should be exorcised from the public consciousness.