Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Entry level smoker

I think Santa is gonna bring me a smoker.  What should I be looking for in a entry level model? Recommend a specific model? I don't need anything big.  Most that I've looked at will hold 4 chickens or 2 racks of ribs.  That's plenty.  I'll prob go with electric.

Entry level electric? I like a Bradley smoker. About the size of this small refrigerators. Fed with wood “pucks” of different types of wood. 

I use mine for all sorts of different things, but I am not a hardcore smoker. I have a 5 year old 4 rack smoker that has treated me well.

I prefer the offset barrels. I will be smoking today in fact.

The electric ones are a pain to clean and also a pain to produce smoke in the texas summers. If you live in the south I would not recommend an electric.

Start with Newport Plus

Big fan of the Camp Chef brand of pellet grills.  Hold temp and easy cleanout of ashes is why.

Lower end model...

Camp Chef SmokePro SG 24 WIFI Pellet Grill - Black | Outdoor Cooking

What I want for my next one...

Camp Chef Woodwind WIFI 36 with Sear Box (outdoorcooking.com)

I've been looking at pellet grills/smokers lately.  A lot of the people I know have a Green Mountain Grill, Daniel Boone model.

28 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Rec Tec....fantastic customer service and nice variety of models. Holds Temps perfect.  

That's what I want.  The RT-590 is at the top of my list.  Haven't decided if I want to spend that much money yet though.

Most of my experience is with uhh...massive pole, so I don't know how helpful that would be.  :dunno:

12 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Most of my experience is with uhh...massive pole, so I don't know how helpful that would be.  :dunno:

Following in your moms footsteps, I see. 

Weber Smokey Mountain.  Get the 18.5" or 22.5" 

Just put on a few mods, and you got a rock solid smoker for years to come.

1 hour ago, SUXBNME said:

Following in your moms footsteps, I see. 

She was more into choad, but yeah.  :(

Been using a small Costco Traeger for the past 5 years and upgrading next spring to a Traeger Ironwood or rectec. Everything comes out great. 
Pellet grills really need to be kept clean every other cook to prevent extreme flare ups 

My pop has had a full sized/Pro Series Treager for several years now... (imo) they put out a pretty good product, but fall short compared to traditional stick burners... Still, no denying the user friendliness and convenience of having one. Something to be said for throwing on a brisket, going to play 18 - then coming back to it with no worries, or sleeping thru the night after tossing meat on when you go to bed. 

Few things about Treagers:

* Beware of Mud daubers - these bees love to nest under and in the control box. They can/will short out your unit. 

* Keep your auger line clean, your fire rod working. You can start a huge fire if you get pellet build up in the fire chamber. 

* Given time, you will have to replace the fan - they just burn out. Simple to do though. 

* I like the  B&B Competition pellet brand, can get at Academy very reasonably. 

2 hours ago, Mr Fantasy said:

Been using a small Costco Traeger for the past 5 years and upgrading next spring to a Traeger Ironwood or rectec. Everything comes out great. 
Pellet grills really need to be kept clean every other cook to prevent extreme flare ups 

From what I’ve been reading, Rectec is superior to Traeger now. Heard good things about Grilla Grills too. 

11 hours ago, Drizzay said:

This. Just be a man and get a weber

I bought my wife a rectec.  It's ridiculous.

13 hours ago, BLS said:

I bought my wife a rectec.  It's ridiculous.

They are. Have the 590....might get the Bullseye in the spring for the hot and fast stuff.

9 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

They are. Have the 590....might get the Bullseye in the spring for the hot and fast stuff.

Is it worth the $900 price tag?  It looks awesome and read great reviews.

Also, Cyclones are having a hell of a year. Great game yesterday. 

4 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Is it worth the $900 price tag?  It looks awesome and read great reviews.

Also, Cyclones are having a hell of a year. Great game yesterday. 

Yes. I mean you get a good gasser and they are $900. Everything just tastes a little better, 

Yeah pretty crazy. Special year...hopefully they can put up a fight on OU in Dallas. 

• Like 1

My entry into smoking was when I stole a pack of camel no filters. Disgusting. 

I used a Weber Smokey Mountain for years, excellent product, but it requires frequent tending to keep the temp solid.  It got to the point where I was really just doing pork butts because it was so easy and flawless.

I broke down this year and bought a pellet smoker, Zgrill off Amazon, it's great.  So much easier, smoked a bunch of different meats this year, highly recommend.

My smoker at the lake is a 36" the one at home is a 24".  I much prefer the 36" one.  It doesn't run has hot and you can fit a lot more chicken wings on it.  

On 11/27/2020 at 7:59 AM, Fireballer said:

I think Santa is gonna bring me a smoker.  What should I be looking for in a entry level model? Recommend a specific model? I don't need anything big.  Most that I've looked at will hold 4 chickens or 2 racks of ribs.  That's plenty.  I'll prob go with electric.

Those masterbuilt electrics with bluetooth get good reviews

I have a Traeger, but have not used it in over 2 years. I find it to be the microwave version of smoking. Go to Lowes and get a Charbroil Acorn Kamado grill -$299. Watch a few youtube videos to see what to do and thank me later. 

3 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I have a Traeger, but have not used it in over 2 years. I find it to be the microwave version of smoking. Go to Lowes and get a Charbroil Acorn Kamado grill -$299. Watch a few youtube videos to see what to do and thank me later. 

The difference is that a pellet smoker can make just as good BBQ as a Kamado, it's just so much easier. 

Just now, GutterBoy said:

I am a master at smoking pole, I will teach you skillz

On 11/27/2020 at 1:09 PM, Drizzay said:

Just now seeing this and this will always be the correct answer to what smoker to get as a newbie or first time buyer.

Pay the extra 100 and get the 22.5, read and watch some youtube vids and enjoy this smoker for the next 10-15 years.

12 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Ive wanted a weber 22 inch smokey mtn but they never go on sale...grrr

It's worth the $400 several times over

Slap yo mamma bbq has great videos using the weber 22 inch.   Asian guy..Harry Soo is a competiton bbq guy..has awesome tips even for setting up your coals and wood chunks for long smokes.

4 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

The difference is that a pellet smoker can make just as good BBQ as a Kamado, it's just so much easier. 

My issue with the Traeger is a maximum temp of 450. You can't get a good steak sear at 450

2 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

My issue with the Traeger is a maximum temp of 450. You can't get a good steak sear at 450

I was speaking to strictly low and slow.

This spring I caught a hell of a deal on a guy who had to move bcoz of Covid.

Picked up a Weber Master Touch Kettle grill (22") with all the accessories (chimney starter, gourmet grate, cooling rack, charcoal baskets, cleaning brush, cover.... was practically brand new, got it for $150.

You can't throw on a ton of meat at once, but these are great for small cooks. I've smoked briskets, ribs and spatchcock chickens. 

Smoking is at an all-time low, so be sure to get one with adjustable legs.  🤔