Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

Up to 40 percent of annual deaths from each of five leading US causes are preventable

Straight from the mouth of the CDC. Covid is a lower tier problem. I have been saying this for decades. We have a pandemic of morbid obesity, out of control and getting worse. Media refuses to discuss the real epidemic. Far, far worse  than covid with no "vaccine" and no awareness.  

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/p0501-preventable-deaths.html

Each year, nearly 900,000 Americans die prematurely from the five leading causes of death – yet 20 percent to 40 percent of the deaths from each cause could be prevented, according to a study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The five leading causes of death in the United States are heart disease, cancer, chronic lower respiratory diseases, stroke, and unintentional injuries. Together they accounted for 63 percent of all U.S. deaths in 2010, with rates for each cause varying greatly from state to state. The report, in this week’s issue of CDC’s weekly journal, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, analyzed premature deaths (before age 80) from each cause for each state from 2008 to 2010. The authors then calculated the number of deaths from each cause that would have been prevented if all states had same death rate as the states with the lowest rates.

The study suggests that, if all states had the lowest death rate observed for each cause, it would be possible to prevent:

• 34 percent of premature deaths from heart diseases, prolonging about 92,000 lives
  • 21 percent of premature cancer deaths, prolonging about 84,500 lives
  • 39 percent of premature deaths from chronic lower respiratory diseases, prolonging about 29,000 lives
  • 33 percent of premature stroke deaths, prolonging about 17,000 lives
  • 39 percent of premature deaths from unintentional injuries, prolonging about 37,000 lives

“As a doctor, it is heartbreaking to lose just one patient to a preventable disease or injury – and it is that much more poignant as the director of the nation’s public health agency to know that far more than a hundred thousand deaths each year are preventable,” said Tom Frieden, MD, MPH. “With programs such as the CDC’s Million Hearts initiative, we are working hard to prevent many of these premature deaths.”

The numbers of preventable deaths from each cause cannot be added together to get an overall total, the authors note. That’s because prevention of some premature deaths may push people to different causes of death. For example, a person who avoids early death from heart disease still may die prematurely from another preventable cause, such as an unintentional injury.

Modifiable risk factors are largely responsible for each of the leading causes of death:

Potentially Preventable Deaths from the Five Leading Causes of Deathpdf icon[PDF]

Potentially Preventable Deaths from the Five Leading Causes of Death
Entire Infographicpdf icon

• Heart disease risks include tobacco use, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, poor diet, overweight, and lack of physical activity.
  • Cancer risks include tobacco use, poor diet, lack of physical activity, overweight, sun exposure, certain hormones, alcohol, some viruses and bacteria, ionizing radiation, and certain chemicals and other substances.
  • Chronic respiratory disease risks include tobacco smoke, second-hand smoke exposure, other indoor air pollutants, outdoor air pollutants, allergens, and exposure to occupational agents.
  • Stroke risks include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, overweight, previous stroke, tobacco use, alcohol use, and lack of physical activity.
  • Unintentional injury risks include lack of seatbelt use, lack of motorcycle helmet use, unsafe consumer products, drug and alcohol use (including prescription drug misuse), exposure to occupational hazards, and unsafe home and community environments.

Many of these risks are avoidable by making changes in personal behaviors. Others are due to disparities due to the social, demographic, environmental, economic, and geographic attributes of the neighborhoods in which people live and work. The study authors note that if health disparities were eliminated, as called for in Healthy People 2020, all states would be closer to achieving the lowest possible death rates for the leading causes of death.

OK, then we shutdown the country right?

Not to mention the lowered cost of healthcare. These behemoth corporations have been feeding us sh1t that they knew was bad for us for decades.  I can guarantee that they have buried study after study proving it over the years.  Somebody will chime in with personal responsibility but Americans are fat and disgusting people with a sense of entitlement and don't like to be told what to do.  You need to mandate it and start arresting the fatties and the alcoholics/smokers.

I’ve never been overweight but now that I’m older and since things have changed during COVID it’s not as easy to be thin.

I have more job responsibility so more time sitting in my office at a computer. I commute by car more than ever even though I still catch the bus. Sidenote: I stopped catching the bus because one bus driver kept spraying the bus with bleach which destroyed my clothes. An almost new pair of black jeans ruined. 

I don’t feel comfortable going to the gym. I certainly have no desire to workout while wearing a mask. 

I think maintaining a healthy weight for anyone who isn’t already fit will find it challenging these days.

1 minute ago, peenie said:

I’ve never been overweight but now that I’m older and since things have changed during COVID it’s not as easy to be thin.

I have more job responsibility so more time sitting in my office at a computer. I commute by car more than ever even though I still catch the bus. Sidenote: I stopped catching the bus because one bus driver kept spraying the bus with bleach which destroyed my clothes. An almost new pair of black jeans ruined. 

I don’t feel comfortable going to the gym. I certainly have no desire to workout while wearing a mask. 

I think maintaining a healthy weight for anyone who isn’t already fit will find it challenging these days.

That wasn't bleach he was spraying on the seats...  :ninja:

• Haha 1

Covid is just speeding up their exit.

Here in Las Vegas, a ghost town, up 20% after 1st day. Looking around, seeing a lot of fat out of shape blobs walking around....with masks. 

1 hour ago, lod001 said:

Covid is just speeding up their exit.

Here in Las Vegas, a ghost town, up 20% after 1st day. Looking around, seeing a lot of fat out of shape blobs walking around....with masks. 

I've heard that Vegas has really gone down hill recently. A lot of shootings not making the national news. Homeless and vagrant population rising. Any truth to this?

21 hours ago, peenie said:

If you just want to not get fat:

1. buy a high quality (gym quality) stationary bike (like $1000+)
2. ride it for 3 hours per day / burn 1000 calories

Its easier than you think if you are willing to watch TV or play video games while you do it.  If you don't have the time, that's BS, everyone has 3 hours they can find. 

If you don't have the energy, that's BS.  Your body will adjust.  The first few days will be tiring but pretty soon your body will just accept it as a daily routine.

38 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Its easier than you think if you are willing to watch TV or play video games while you do it.  If you don't have the time, that's BS, everyone has 3 hours they can find. 

If you don't have the energy, that's BS.  Your body will adjust.  The first few days will be tiring but pretty soon your body will just accept it as a daily routine.

3 hours is unrealistic; I love to work out and I would never do that.

My wife listened to a podcast where they talked about a guy who could lift a ton, benching twice his body weight.  The guy did personal training, and every hour or so in between clients he would do a set of bench.  That was it.  Anyway, they went on to talk about taking a few minutes every hour to do something.  Five or ten pushups (on knees if needed).  10 or 15 squats.

Years ago I unknowingly did this.  Our gym had a month-long challenge to do so many push-ups and squats per day, building up to about 250 each.  I added Russian twists for fun.  I ended up breaking it up into sets of 25 reps each, and doing them about once per hour in the end.  At the time I worked in an office, and would find an empty conference room, lock the door, and do the exercises.  Took maybe two minutes.  I was in the best shape of my life.

23 hours ago, TimHauck said:

This data is from 2008-2010 btw

Yep.  It's false data.

Now days, people are healthy and are no longer couch potatoes. 

24 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Yep.  It's false data.

Now days, people are healthy and are no longer couch potatoes. 

According to the chart, only heart disease and cancer have higher yearly death totals than covid this year.   Neither of which are contagious.

4 hours ago, jerryskids said:

3 hours is unrealistic; I love to work out and I would never do that.

When you were a kid, you'd effectively "work out" for hours and hours every day, jumping, climbing, hiking, swimming.  Way more than 3.  3 is a tiny tiny amount.  Probably the bare minimum.  You can't turn into a potato and then blame age for not being able to keep the weight off.

I don't think people who do more than doomsday prepping are going to find 3 hours a day to devote to working out. 

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

When you were a kid, you'd effectively "work out" for hours and hours every day, jumping, climbing, hiking, swimming.  Way more than 3.  3 is a tiny tiny amount.  Probably the bare minimum.  You can't turn into a potato and then blame age for not being able to keep the weight off.

Troof. The only video gaming as a kid I did was when I found a quarter or 3 and biked 2 miles to the nearest arcade to play pinball or Donkey Kong.

Given what I do for a living, I'm actually in pretty damn good shape for an old fock.

I’m not overweight. I was just noting that I’m not as active as I used to be and it’s even harder to stay in shape due to the Covid restrictions. I do Tabata and Zumba every morning. 

On 11/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, peenie said:

I thought there was no way I could like you less and then you post this

7 hours ago, edjr said:

I thought there was no way I could like you less and then you post this

Really, why? It’s harder because I am not going to the gym and my lifestyle is more sedentary. Nothing to dislike about that, imo. 
I’m like Keira Knightly, slender body frame. 

On 11/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, peenie said:

I find it fascinating that people find it real hard to maintain a weight or lose pounds.

I understand it is easier to keep weight as you age.  But I find it fascinating that people cant lose weight when they want to.

It isnt weight loss is difficult.  It is self control is difficult for many people.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:40 AM, JustinCharge said:

3 hours? Lol.

How about eat better and eat less?  It is really that simple and you dont have to fo anything extra in the way of exercising. (Although people should exercise more).

People act like feeding their face all day like is a crucial part of surviving.

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I find it fascinating that people find it real hard to maintain a weight or lose pounds.

I understand it is easier to keep weight as you age.  But I find it fascinating that people cant lose weight when they want to.

It isnt weight loss is difficult.  It is self control is difficult for many people.

I agree 100%. I gained some pounds over a certain amount of time back when I was traveling every week for work 48 weeks a year 12 years straight. I was up 25 or so pounds from years earlier and felt like crap from a poor diet and being tired from all the travel. I had a couple months off about 2 years ago and simply ate a great diet, gave up the booze for a while, walked 3-5 miles a day. Put in another 20-30 minutes 5 days a week on the rower or bike. Dropped all that weight and more in 2.5 months. Was down 30 pounds and got back exactly where I should be. Learned to incorporate that lifestyle in a lesser manner to maintain the weight and health easily. 

It's all in the discipline because it doesn't take any real smarts unless you have underlying conditions to watch out for. For instance if you have a bad back you have to find different routines or whatever.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:40 AM, JustinCharge said:

3hrs is beyond ridiculous even for people with nothing to do. Saying everyone has 3hrs they can find is also a tier of ridiculousness above that. A lot of people absolutely in no way shape or form can find 3hrs of free time a day. Even people who are workout warriors don’t bike for 3hrs. 

27 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I agree 100%. I gained some pounds over a certain amount of time back when I was traveling every week for work 48 weeks a year 12 years straight. I was up 25 or so pounds from years earlier and felt like crap from a poor diet and being tired from all the travel. I had a couple months off about 2 years ago and simply ate a great diet, gave up the booze for a while, walked 3-5 miles a day. Put in another 20-30 minutes 5 days a week on the rower or bike. Dropped all that weight and more in 2.5 months. Was down 30 pounds and got back exactly where I should be. Learned to incorporate that lifestyle in a lesser manner to maintain the weight and health easily. 

It's all in the discipline because it doesn't take any real smarts unless you have underlying conditions to watch out for. For instance if you have a bad back you have to find different routines or whatever.

I understand exercising isnt fun to many.  I dont exercise enough myself these days.

But if I notice Im gaining pounds randomly I just stop and adjust my diet.   Im an adult I like vegetables.  It isnt that hard to eat less than you have been.  Or at very least eat better.  I find it hilarious when fat people are chomping down a bag of lays while explaining how hard it is to lose weight "at this age" "after having the baby" "I have an injury"

It takes a tiny amount of self control to not feed your face with junk food all day.  Or opt for the side salad rather than the half a plate of fries.  

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I understand exercising isnt fun to many.  I dont exercise enough myself these days.

But if I notice Im gaining pounds randomly I just stop and adjust my diet.   Im an adult I like vegetables.  It isnt that hard to eat less than you have been.  Or at very least eat better.  I find it hilarious when fat people are chomping down a bag of lays while explaining how hard it is to lose weight "at this age" "after having the baby" "I have an injury"

It takes a tiny amount of self control to not feed your face with junk food all day.  Or opt for the side salad rather than the half a plate of fries.  

My girlfriend wanted to lose a few pounds and she doesn't like exercising that much at all. Took longer than it would take me but she lost the 5 pounds she wanted to in like a month or so just by changing her eating habits. 

23 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

3hrs is beyond ridiculous even for people with nothing to do. Saying everyone has 3hrs they can find is also a tier of ridiculousness above that. A lot of people absolutely in no way shape or form can find 3hrs of free time a day. Even people who are workout warriors don’t bike for 3hrs. 

This is BS.  You can get a home indoor exercise bike and watch TV, browse the web, play video games, chat on the phone, text people, etc.  And that alone will consume more than 3 hours of anyone's day.  If people are dedicated to something, they will find a way to make time.  I mean this is IMPORTANT.  Its your HEALTH.

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

This is BS.  You can get a home indoor exercise bike and watch TV, browse the web, play video games, chat on the phone, text people, etc.  And that alone will consume more than 3 hours of anyone's day.  If people are dedicated to something, they will find a way to make time.  I mean this is IMPORTANT.  Its your HEALTH.

Nah 3 hrs is pretty excessive.  No one needs 3 hrs a day unless you are training for something.  

Talk on the phone while you work out?  Lol how?  

Id say I dont watch tv /talk on thr phone/text for 3hrs a day during the week let alone able to fo that while I work out.

Extremely excessive.

52 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Please stop, you are looking silly.  Ignoring the fact that weight control is 90% diet and 10% exercise, most adults with a spouse/live-in SO and/or kids are not spending their non-eating, non-working, non-bathroom time (about 3 hours) entirely on an exercise bike.  Not if they want to maintain those relationships.  Or their sanity.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, tanatastic said:

If had a 3 hour block of time to work out everyday, I'd be chiseled up.  When I worked out 1 hour a day, I was pretty buffed out.

On 11/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, JustinCharge said:

Not everyone is a loser sitting in a basement hoping for Civil War.  People have 3 hours of free time, but it's 20 minutes here.  30 minutes there. 

5 minutes ago, nobody said:

Not everyone is a loser.  People have 3 hours of free time, but it's 20 minutes here.  30 minutes there. 

And plenty of people run marathons, and do long daily jogs to keep in shape.  3 hours on a stationary bike is much less stress on your body.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:45 AM, FlyinHeadlock said:

Covid is a lower tier problem. I have been saying this for decades.

That’s weird. Covid was only invented last year. :unsure: 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, MDC said:

That’s weird. Covid was only invented last year. :unsure: 

He's obviously referring to decades of a rosary.  Educate yourself.

2 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

And plenty of people run marathons, and do long daily jogs to keep in shape.  3 hours on a stationary bike is much less stress on your body.

If by plenty, you mean about 0.2% of the country, then sure.   About 2x the # of covid deaths so far even.

I ran a marathon once.  Wasting 3-4 hours of my day to go for a run was really annoying, and that was before having kids.