Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

PSA: Black Monday sale today on the new MacBook Air M1 laptop

This thing is absolutely insane.  It beats many gaming laptops in performance. Everything loads instantly.  This is not just a major upgrade in your life, its crazy nuts.  Words don't do it justice. This is a revolution.  This is something Apple has been building up to for 13 years - putting a smartphone chip in as a cpu/gpu for their laptop.  We're potentially looking at Apple outright killing the PC market with this, as Intel is just falling more and more behind.

On sale today for $899 (save $100)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/apples-macbook-air-m1-drops-to-899-for-cyber-monday/ar-BB1bujRR

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1604825-REG/apple_mgn63ll_a_13_3_macbook_air_with.html

Just now, supermike80 said:

Apple products are for suckers.   Every one of them

No.  This thing is different than anything Apple has put out before.  The M series chips are crazy.  Absolutely craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

Would that laptop be better than building my own gaming PC for the same price?  I ask because I am considering building one with my son.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Would that laptop be better than building my own gaming PC for the same price?  I ask because I am considering building one with my son.

I would go on youtube and google "Macbook M1" and the name of the game you want to play.  The M1 is the talk of the industry right now and I'm sure by now, most gamers have uploaded video of their favorite games running on it.

Apple has been building to this moment for like 15 years.  They started pulling away from Intel and designing small pieces of architecture to help their products runs more efficiently and faster.  With the M1, its a total break.  They are leaving Intel in the dust and designing their own specialized cores and they are focking amazing.

I think Intel is going to die.  They are so far behind at this point, and the gap is only going to grow.  The PC is dead.

32 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Apple products are for suckers.   Every one of them

I prefer granny smith

53 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

You could probably be better off building your own computer for gaming. There are still some games that are not available on mac's.

Another example is civ 6 which is one of the few computer games I play, the air M1 does not support 1080p resolution. You can do that with a 900 dollar gaming computer. Even my 2 year old laptop can run civ 6 in higher resolution and better performance than the Air M1.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/macbook-air-2020-m1

The Air M1 looks to be a good deal for many people, but not if you want to do gaming.

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You could probably be better off building your own laptop for gaming. There are still some games that are not available on mac's. For example on civ 6 which is one of the few computer games I play, the M1 does not support 1080p resolution. You can do that with a 900 dollar gaming computer. Even my 2 year old laptop can run civ 6 in higher resolution and better performance than the M1.

The Air M1 looks to be a good deal for many people, but not if you want to do gaming.

Solitaire and Minesweeper?

26 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You could probably be better off building your own computer for gaming. There are still some games that are not available on mac's.

Another example is civ 6 which is one of the few computer games I play, the air M1 does not support 1080p resolution. You can do that with a 900 dollar gaming computer. Even my 2 year old laptop can run civ 6 in higher resolution and better performance than the Air M1.

But but but...Apple!! Everything they do is fantastic and wonderful and better than anything EVER for all time!!!!!

40 minutes ago, edjr said:

I prefer granny smith

They got these new ones called cosmic crisp that are pretty good, if you’re into honey crisp 

11 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

They got these new ones called cosmic crisp that are pretty good, if you’re into honey crisp 

I like sour, I don't really like any but granny smif. 

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

I like sour, I don't really like any but granny smif. 

You wouldn’t like cosmic crisp then. They are sweet, perhaps too much so in my opinion.

its not going to be long before most major pc game titles offer M1 optimizations.  and then future iterations of the M series chipset are going to destroy intel.  intel might very well be dead in 3 years.

the PC/Apple wars are over.  Apple is the undisputed winner. The PC is going to die and pretty damn fast. intel is probably 10 years behind in tech now.

4 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

its not going to be long before most major pc game titles offer M1 optimizations.  and then future iterations of the M series chipset are going to destroy intel.  intel might very well be dead in 3 years.

the PC/Apple wars are over.  Apple is the undisputed winner. The PC is going to die and pretty damn fast. intel is probably 10 years behind in tech now.

There are 3/4 major suppliers of OS: Google, Microsoft, Apple, and possibly Linux.

There are 3/4 major suppliers of cpu architecture: Intel, AMD, Apple, and possibly ARM, depending on how define it.

In the business world I do not see Apple taking over for Windows any time soon. Too many of the proprietary applications developed in house do not work on the apple OS. I know my applications do not work on apple computers.

This means the only way for Apple to encroach on Intel's market share would be if they released a M1 cpu that works natively with Windows. But I do not see that happening.

11 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Shouldn’t be too hard to reverse engineer I would think? May have some patent issues I suppose but seems like these tech companies steal from/copy each other all the time 

19 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Shouldn’t be too hard to reverse engineer I would think? May have some patent issues I suppose but seems like these tech companies steal from/copy each other all the time 

The M1 only is much faster in single threaded apps, however most modern apps are built to take advantage of multi threading where both Intel and AMD maintain a lead. For example the basic large Excel worksheet that many people deal with at work you would be better on an intel CPU since it can take more advantage of the multithreaded CPU's.

If you want a fast browser or really speed up the simple apps, then apple is taking the correct approach. It really looks like they are going to kick the crap out of AMD and Intel in single threaded applications for the foreseeable future.

It depends who your target audience is, and Apple is going for the retail market and not the business market.

3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

There are 3/4 major suppliers of OS: Google, Microsoft, Apple, and possibly Linux.

There are 3/4 major suppliers of cpu architecture: Intel, AMD, Apple, and possibly ARM, depending on how define it.

In the business world I do not see Apple taking over for Windows any time soon. Too many of the proprietary applications developed in house do not work on the apple OS. I know my applications do not work on apple computers.

This means the only way for Apple to encroach on Intel's market share would be if they released a M1 cpu that works natively with Windows. But I do not see that happening.

Sure PCs are entrenched in the business world, but no-one is going to be buying intel PCs for retail use in a few years.  Its over.

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Intel isn't even *trying*. 

Apple has been outhustling and outworking everyone else for years to convert cellphone chipsets into full-fledged laptop and desktop computers with all of the amazing efficiency gains.  They finally arrived with the M1 that just came out.  The gap is enormous now.

Think of the release of the M1 as a major event, like the release of the first iPod, or first iPhone.  Its THAT big.  It takes all the power efficiency and lightning speed of an iPhone and turns it into a regular computer.