Bert

Early Retirement

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

You can also volunteer.  Volunteering is alot more rewarding then catering to golf azzholes all day.

That's my plan.

2 hours ago, Strike said:

I am at the point where I could probably make it work but I'd have to be careful with money/budgeting, and I don't know that I want that.  I'm constantly working numbers in my head trying to figure out where I stand.  I expect I will retire before 65 (I'm 54 now) but not sure exactly when.  At this point I have zero debt and just accumulating the wealth to be able to retire and not worry about money.

I always thought you were younger for some reason. 

Retirement is a way off for me. I'd LOVE to retire in 10 years, but meh. 

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

Until one day, during a routine prostate exam, the doctor feels what feels like a lump on your fallopian tube...

One of my biggest fears, which is why I never miss my 6 month dentist appointment. I take advantage of the discount double check. 1 checks me from the front while the other checks me from the back.

43 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

I always thought you were younger for some reason. 

Retirement is a way off for me. I'd LOVE to retire in 10 years, but meh. 

It’s a fantasy. He can be whatever age you want him to be.

I will be 50 in March and my wife will be 49 in December. She did all the right things. Has a great pension and 403B and can retire at 50 if she wanted. The difference between 50 and 55 is pretty significant so I think for her it will be 55. She will then get some sort of meaningless job to stay busy. She wants to pour wine at one of our local wineries. Me on the other hand, have always lived paycheck to paycheck until I started my current job almost 10 years ago. That is when I started putting money into retirement. Over the past few years I have contributed the max I can (22%) per paycheck and I will continue to do so probably until I do retire. I started in the stock market this year both personally and through an ESPP. I figure I will probably have to work until I am 65 or so. 

We could probably retire early, but I will need to do something. Maybe do some consulting or Board of Directors type of work, but something to keep my mind somewhat sharp.

15 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

We could probably retire early, but I will need to do something. Maybe do some consulting or Board of Directors type of work, but something to keep my mind somewhat sharp.

If your mind was any sharper it could cut tissue paper

18 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I am already on the Board of Directors of a local credit union.  I plan to keep doing that in retirement.  

1 hour ago, KayJay1971 said:

I will be 50 in March and my wife will be 49 in December. She did all the right things. Has a great pension and 403B and can retire at 50 if she wanted. The difference between 50 and 55 is pretty significant so I think for her it will be 55. She will then get some sort of meaningless job to stay busy. She wants to pour wine at one of our local wineries. Me on the other hand, have always lived paycheck to paycheck until I started my current job almost 10 years ago. That is when I started putting money into retirement. Over the past few years I have contributed the max I can (22%) per paycheck and I will continue to do so probably until I do retire. I started in the stock market this year both personally and through an ESPP. I figure I will probably have to work until I am 65 or so.  

You don't combine your assets?

53 minutes ago, Bert said:

I am already on the Board of Directors of a local credit union.  I plan to keep doing that in retirement.  

That is the way to do it. Throw in some charitable work and you may make something out of yourself. :lol:

Sorry, I thought this was the Carson Wentz thread :dunno:

:pointstosky:

38 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

You don't combine your assets?

Oh we do but I am not going to retire on her dime. She will continue to work probably until I do retire. Just not at her high stress job. 

while I'm here......I've already used up my retirement loitering here and playing FFB, so I have to work the rest of my life. 

I turn 50 in a couple of weeks. No debt other than the mortgage. Once that is paid off I'll start looking at my outs and timing. The wife and I will prolly end up opening some kind of business to supplement retirement but it will definitely be part time/as needed.  

10 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

That is the way to do it. Throw in some charitable work and you may make something out of yourself. :lol:

Whoa there, never under estimate my ability to under achieve. 

14 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

But your ex-wife can retire early

She's about to get 220k ish to go right into her 401k. Not a dollar that she worked for of course

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

She's about to get 220k ish to go right into her 401k. Not a dollar that she worked for of course

Focking whoore

Up until my cancer I’m not sure I could really see retirement, in part for the reasons stated here (mostly, what would I do with myself).  But now I’m starting to see it.  Our house is fairly large and expensive, and as I’ve mentioned in other threads my wife is softening on the idea of downsizing.  We could probably make it work on her salary alone without downsizing, which has been her holdup.  We could do it comfortably with a smaller house tho. I need good health insurance for a long time which is another consideration.  

My goal is 62. No later than 65 tops. The house will be paid off by 55. Then we can get a couple new vehicles. Upgrade the house/property any way we'd want to. If we need to get something new, we do it. Maybe a really nice vacation over that 7 year span. And if I'd need more time past 62, than so be it. But completely done by 65.

Then just to stay busy, and get out of the house. Volunteer at a local pet shelter. 

4 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Focking whoore

I dunno, do you recall the FBN split story? 

19 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Granted my situation is unique, so I'm not going to kick out advice to people with a different circumstance.  But all I can say is don’t stop working completely. I did the first year,  43, no responsibilities , all the time and money I needed. After about 9 months I had to do something. I realized then that while work sucks, not working sucks more. Even the part time jobs I’ve had were so much better than not working. I used to look at guys I know that retired and were driving a bus, working at Home Depot and other low stress jobs and thought  “whats the matter with them? “ Then I tried not working and understood. I hope to work at something until I can’t anymore. Good luck. 

Im too far away to know what the landscape of retirement will be then.

I agree with this to a point.  I think people who retire with not much to do end uo getting old quick.  My grampa retired around 60.  Hes 89 now still in very solid shape for that age.  He didnt take up another side gig but he worked his ass off around the house.    Mowing every couple days.  Washing the siding.  Trimming bushes.  Landscaping.  Cleaning gutters.  Sealing the patio.  Raking until there isnt 1 leaf on his lawn.  Planting vegetables and maintaining them.  Also golfing a lot.  It kept him young.  He has always said he has worked almost as hard after retiring. 

Winters get to him a bit especially into older age it has.   He makes wine and makes sure the sidewalks are clear of snow all day long.  But not as much to do.  

In my eyes thats ideal.  Work hard around the house to keep it in great shape.  Golf a ton.   Stay active and stay young.  Once you stop being active you age fast.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Lets start a Geek hippie commune and share resources including wives.  Iam90sbaby can invest all our pooled cash in bitcoin and we can be as conservative as we want and have lots of guns and sex and bier can be the chef..etc.

Communist!

thought about it for first time recently. im 46. 401k is thru the roof and I got 3 years left on mortgage. but i'll never stop working in some facet until i physically can't . fock that. i seen good men turn back into cucks getting henpecked all day long. i just want to get to a point where i don't really have to worry too much about money, business, etc. and could just take a job pumping gas or whatever.

47 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

could just take a job pumping gas

Other than sh!t hole NJ where else do people pump your gas?

Just now, Bert said:

Oregon

17 minutes ago, Bert said:

im in nj :P but figuratively speaking :rolleyes:

I'm not going to sit around the house all day at 50... I'll get a routine.  Lifting 4-6 times a week will be a must.  Many studies show lifting weights later in life will keep you young.  Probably the same concept as physically doing projects I suppose.

I can't stand "busywork"... so nah.

Fishing.... hunting... for sure.

I've kicked around if I want to work getting a trainers cert and do some weight training at a gym... but dunno if I want to mix work and what I consider fun.

We want to travel... like really travel... like rent a flat in Itally for 3 months and just go look at shiz travel.  While we're young and healthy enough to do all that...

I'll have no problem keeping myself physically active and busy without working a whole nother deal.

23 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

You can also volunteer.  Volunteering is alot more rewarding then catering to golf azzholes all day.

Do you volunteer at the midget circus?

40 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Whereanouts in NJ?

You mean what exit. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You mean what exit. 

LOL, never heard that one before.

19 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

cherry hill area

Oh nice, I'm up in the Princeton area.  Used to commute down there when I was consulting for Campbell's Soup back in the day.

4 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Oh nice, I'm up in the Princeton area.  Used to commute down there when I was consulting for Campbell's Soup back in the day.

Camden?

I am not sure I would call it a documentary but 60 Days In is awesome. The people that sign up for this are nuts. Who would voluntarily go to jail undercover knowing if you are found out you are most certainly going to get killed? 

But so many people are living so long these days...you guys really want to retire at 50 and then live another 50 years?

22 hours ago, porkbutt said:

Camden?

They had an office space outside camden, in cherry hill, between 38 and 70