Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

What's the best documentary you've seen?

15 minutes ago, Strike said:

This is a great one.  So is Ed's Koresh one.  I don't tend to respond in these types of threads because there are so many choices that are valid.  Hard to pick just one and say it's the "best."  I would add Runnin' down a dream, since I'm  a huge Tom Petty fan, and one I posted about on here that was a PBS documentary about an intelligent design trial.

Isn't the Tom Petty one like 4 hours long?  I remember starting it, cause I like him too...and felt disappointed by it and never finished it.  Maybe i should revisit it.

I like rock docs and I gotta say the Eagles doc is one of the best....I mean if you like the music.  

Just now, supermike80 said:

Isn't the Tom Petty one like 4 hours long?  I remember starting it, cause I like him too...and felt disappointed by it and never finished it.  Maybe i should revisit it.

I like rock docs and I gotta say the Eagles doc is one of the best....I mean if you like the music.  

yes, the Petty one is long.  So was the Eagles one.  Great bands with longevity deserve their full story told.

5 hours ago, supermike80 said:

History of the Eagles

Booing Santa?  Throwing batteries at players?  Drunken idiots in jail under the field?  McNabb pukes on field during Super Bowl? Ginger douche destroys franchise?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

yes, the Petty one is long.  So was the Eagles one.  Great bands with longevity deserve their full story told.

Fockin Lincoln only got 2 1/2

If you like Tom Petty and want to watch him smoke 4 packs a day it’s great! J/K, love Petty but damn, he could suck them down. 

39 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

The Keepers on Netflix. 

That was excellent.

Undefeated might be my favorite, but Until the Light Takes Us, a doc about the black metal movement in Norway, is up there for me as well.

Most recently, Land of Little Rivers on Amazon Prime.   It is about fly fishing and some of the characters/legends of fly fishing.

Prior to that, I would have to say City of Joel on Netflix, which documents the 1 square-mile hasidic Jewish community of Kiryas Joel.

2 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

Most recently, Land of Little Rivers on Amazon Prime.   It is about fly fishing and some of the characters/legends of fly fishing.

Prior to that, I would have to say City of Joel on Netflix, which documents the 1 square-mile hasidic Jewish community of Kiryas Joel.

Jews and fly fishing.  Must See TV.

3 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

They have expanded and are now part of a newly created town known as Palm Tree.  They were part of Monroe but their filthy ways and disregard for the law forced a split. 

2 hours ago, Strike said:

LOL when Glenn Fry spoke of Joe Walsh

"Joe was an interesting bunch of guys"

😅

• Haha 1

Gotta say, Roger & Me was real good. Before Moore went full batshit hack. 

Einsatzgruppen.  Available on Netflix.  Don’t try saying this sht didn’t happen.

Also, the Burns doc on Vietnam is fantastic.

Also, "The Farthest." Documentary about the Voyager spacecrafts/Golden Record/Carl Sagan.

The one they did on the Challenger was also really good. 

4 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Excuse me while I whip this out...

Harumph!

Seattle is Dying

Chernobyl

Cape Cod Heroin

Anything on WWI

2 hours ago, TK0001 said:

That was excellent.

Undefeated might be my favorite, but Until the Light Takes Us, a doc about the black metal movement in Norway, is up there for me as well.

I’ve wanted to see this for a while.

35 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Seattle is Dying

Chernobyl

Cape Cod Heroin

Anything on WWI

Seattle is Dying👍

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’ve wanted to see this for a while.

Until the Light Takes Us? 

Hell yeah, check it out, if you have a morbid curiosity like me. Some pretty damn dark stuff there.

I always take documentaries with a big grain of salt.  I always assume there are lies of omission, if not skewing the facts to generate a bigger audience.  So I don't really think of them in terms of "what is the best". 

9 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

Hell yeah, check it out, if you have a morbid curiosity like me. Some pretty damn dark stuff there.

Yes that one. I will give it a look.

Not the best doc I’ve seen but Tickled is absolutely deranged, if you like that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

LOL when Glenn Fry spoke of Joe Walsh

"Joe was an interesting bunch of guys"

😅

RIP Glenn. I am so sad I never got to see The Eagles with Glenn.  My last concert I MIGHT ever attend will be the Eagles with Deacon Fry

I have their 1994 concert and their 2002 and their  2019 concert on DVR. I crank the sound bar and watch, very often

44 minutes ago, MDC said:

Yes that one. I will give it a look.

Not the best doc I’ve seen but Tickled is absolutely deranged, if you like that sort of thing.

Saw it. A two hour cringe fest.

13 minutes ago, TK0001 said:

Saw it. A two hour cringe fest.

Absolutely. I loved it. :lol: 

8 hours ago, TK0001 said:

Thanks for the heads up on this one.  I'll check it out as well.

10 hours ago, RLLD said:

Seattle is Dying

Chernobyl

Cape Cod Heroin

Anything on WWI

Seattle has literally almost always been a sh1thole. Like, truly. Sewage used to run down all the hills into the sound. Then the tide would wash it back ashore.

20 hours ago, TK0001 said:

That was excellent.

Hvis lyset tar oss..If the light takes us.  is an album by Burzum, Varg Vikenes.  Its black metal, so not for everyone, but I think its pretty good.  

There is a movie also called Lords of Chaos about that scene, probably more sensational, but its a good watch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herbivore said:

Hvis lyset tar oss..If the light takes us.  is an album by Burzum, Varg Vikenes.  Its black metal, so not for everyone, but I think its pretty good.  

Music wasn't bad but I can only take so much harsh vocals.  Thanks for the heads up though.  :cheers:

I just recently started listening to Enslaved, which is also Norwegian.  Has more of a mix of clean and harsh vocals. I'm working backwards through their discography as latest album came out this year.  Really enjoy it, but as you said with the other band it's probably not for everyone.