BeenHereBefore

Stock Talk Bone Broth

I drink the store bought ones a few times a week. Make my own bone broth once in while in a crock pot even though it takes 24 hours or more. Anybody else do the bone broth thing ?

Yes it's good during a fast.

I like to marinate my bone first, 

In your mom.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I bought an outside 50k btu burner that hooks to a propane tank for making my own bone and veggie broth.

Indoor stoves can only get to 12-18k btu and I can make a much bigger batch outside. It is easier to make large amounts at a time.

I made a batch of veggie broth last weekend and can share the recipe.

Home made broths are good for drinking, but the also make homemade soups much better.

Plus anything that calls for water, like stuffing. If you use a homemade veggie broth it adds both flavor and vitamins, but with no sodium like store bought broth. 

For bone broth I make both beef and pork, and the pork broth I usually use for ramen.

Pork bone broth is a pain in the butt to make though. You need to boil and clean the bones multiple times before setting it to boil for 13+ hours.

Below is a link to my pork broth made a year ago. Although I have gotten better at making it since then.

I have not posted other broths, but they are worth making as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I bought an outside 50k btu burner that hooks to a butane tank for making my own bone and veggie broth.

Indoor stoves can only get to 12-18k btu and I can make a much bigger batch outside. I large amounts at a time.

I made a batch of veggie broth last weekend and can share the recipe.

Home made broths are good for drinking, but the also make homemade soups much better.

Plus anything that calls for water, like stuffing. If you use a homemade veggie broth it adds both flavor and vitamins, but with no sodium like store bought broth. 

For bone broth I make both beef and pork, and the pork broth I usually use for ramen.

Pork bone broth is a pain in the butt to make though. You need to boil and clean the bones multiple times before setting it to boil for 13+ hours.

Wow man you are a pro at it, I only do beef in the crock pot when I make mine.

When I make mine with the beef bones I put in about a cup of apple cider vinegar with the Mother, Supposed to help pull more good stuff off the bones. Usually throw some fresh carrots and celery stock in as well.

Campbells condensed beef and chicken broth are 50 cents a can.

:dunno:You just add water:dunno:

You just drink it straight? Always wondered what you were supposed to do with that stuff. I cook with broth and stock but never tried the bone broths 

13 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

You just drink it straight? Always wondered what you were supposed to do with that stuff. I cook with broth and stock but never tried the bone broths 

Bone Broth has great health benefits more so then just regular broth & Stock. Was eating it in a bowl and just easier sipping it out of a glass.  Ps. I heat it first and can be very tasty.

9 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

We make 'broth' using the Thanksgiving turkey carcass but do not clean it to the bone beforehand.  Why the need to boil and clean multiple times?  Is it a concern only with the pork source?

11 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Below is a link to my pork broth made a year ago. Although I have gotten better at making it since then.

Bruuuuh 🤤

12 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I had this for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a sushi place in your neck of the woods.  It was fantastic.

Bone broth seems to be a newer, trendy thing.

I have made many, many stocks on demis... which use bones.

if you are going to do something seafood related, look at fish stocks and fumes. I used to make a very rich lobster nage for one of my pasta dishes.  Love it

37 minutes ago, Bert said:

I had this for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a sushi place in your neck of the woods.  It was fantastic.

Which sushi place did you go to?

Also if you want to try a Ramen place I suggest Jinya Ramen. It is a chain, but it is better than the local places I have tried in China town.

4 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Which sushi place did you go to?

Also if you want to try a Ramen place I suggest Jinya Ramen. It is a chain, but it is better than the local places I have tried in China town.

Keeper's Japanese Restaurant at highway 6 and Dulles Ave/Austin Pkwy

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

Keeper's Japanese Restaurant at highway 6 and Dulles Ave/Austin Pkwy

That is what I thought when you said they served ramen. That restaurant is right beside my house. I live a block or so away just off Dulles.

46 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

That is what I thought when you said they served ramen. That restaurant is right beside my house. I live a block or so away just off Dulles.

Small world.