Sign in to follow this  
"Night Court" reboot...

https://tvline.com/2020/12/16/night-court-reboot-john-larroquette-returning-nbc/

NBC is reopening the doors of Night Court. Original star John Larroquette is stepping back into the role of Reinhold Daniel Fielding Elmore for a sequel series to the classic sitcom, our sister site Deadline reports.

This updated take on Night Court will center around an “unapologetic, optimistic” judge named Abby Stone (yet to be cast), who happens to be the daughter of Harry Stone (played by the late Harry Anderson), who presided over the original series. Following in her father’s footsteps, Abby will take the night shift, presiding over a Manhattan arraignment court where you never know what to expect.

Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) will executive-produce the multi-cam project for Warner Bros. TV, alongside writer Dan Rubin (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt). Larroquette is also set to produce.

Larroquette took home four Primetime Emmy Awards for his work on the original Night Court, winning Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988.

Original cast member Anderson died in 2018, while scene stealer Selma Diamond, who played sarcastic Bailiff Selma Hacker, passed away in 1985, early into the series’ run.

Female judge is not a shocker but at least she's the daughter of the original judge. Now, will they DARE make her white and straight? 

1 minute ago, DonS said:

Female judge is not a shocker but at least she's the daughter of the original judge. Now, will they DARE make her white and straight? 

Yeah, I mean, we knew that the judge would be a girl... and I'm fine with it since - as you noted - it's Harry's daughter.  If they make her a lesbian or half white, I'm not even going to watch it.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Just hope they don't over woke it and ruin it like they did MacGyver.

Then they would really have to back-off of Larroquette's character and what he did and said...  I don't know how he is now personally, but Night Court put him on the map and changing the character would not be liked by fans of the series...

Hopefully they cast someone with excellent tittays like Markie Post. :wub:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man, what a great show this was back in the day. Think I'll just go ahead and remember it fondly and not watch whatever this monstrosity will be.

All these Hollywood writers go to Harvard and other elitist factories and the best they come up with is remakes and super hero movies. 

Just now, posty said:

Then they would really have to back-off of Larroquette's character and what he did and said...  I don't know how he is now personally, but Night Court put him on the map and changing the character would not be liked by fans of the series...

Yeah, now that you mention it, I agree.  He was a huge perv and it was funny.  If he's all PC now, I'm not going to have any interest.  I mean, it's not like he was specific on who he made fun of either.  He made fun of white people, rednecks, foreigners, minorities, etc... no one was safe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Just replay the original. Why change it up?

There's nothing wrong with trying to recreate the dynamic.  I mean, it was awesome in it's original run and it's not like the schtick got old or tired.  I just hope they don't ruin it's memory.  I mean, I only need to see the cast list to know if I'm going to at least give it a chance.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

There's nothing wrong with trying to recreate the dynamic.  I mean, it was awesome in it's original run and it's not like the schtick got old or tired.  I just hope they don't ruin it's memory.  I mean, I only need to see the cast list to know if I'm going to at least give it a chance.

I have no faith in them not focking it up.

7 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I have no faith in them not focking it up.

I actually agree with you on that part, I'm just hopeful I guess.  I mean, the whole comedic dynamic of the show was Dan being a perv, Christine smacking him down, and Harry, while aloof, bringing him back to reality, and the rest of the group not taking his sh!t.  That core component filtered out into the non-courtroom stories.  Without Dan being "Dan", there's no show.

Guaranteed it will be all woke. It’s in a courthouse. And how is the sexist Dan Felding going to be recreated? And all the bad guys will be white. All the victims of circumstance and systematic racism will be others. Book it. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Guaranteed it will be all woke. It’s in a courthouse. And how is the sexist Dan Felding going to be recreated? And all the bad guys will be white. All the victims of circumstance and systematic racism will be others. Book it. 

Right? And what will the court cases be about, especially when they have their "serious" episodes.

48 minutes ago, posty said:

https://tvline.com/2020/12/16/night-court-reboot-john-larroquette-returning-nbc/

NBC is reopening the doors of Night Court. Original star John Larroquette is stepping back into the role of Reinhold Daniel Fielding Elmore for a sequel series to the classic sitcom, our sister site Deadline reports.

This updated take on Night Court will center around an “unapologetic, optimistic” judge named Abby Stone (yet to be cast), who happens to be the daughter of Harry Stone (played by the late Harry Anderson), who presided over the original series. Following in her father’s footsteps, Abby will take the night shift, presiding over a Manhattan arraignment court where you never know what to expect.

Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) will executive-produce the multi-cam project for Warner Bros. TV, alongside writer Dan Rubin (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt). Larroquette is also set to produce.

Larroquette took home four Primetime Emmy Awards for his work on the original Night Court, winning Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series in 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988.

Original cast member Anderson died in 2018, while scene stealer Selma Diamond, who played sarcastic Bailiff Selma Hacker, passed away in 1985, early into the series’ run.

Bull!

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Right? And what will the court cases be about, especially when they have their "serious" episodes.

Looters and rioters picked up even though they were mostly peaceful is one episode. 

2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Bull?

Nothing yet, but I would guess they will try to get him as well to get some of the old group back together...

Murders & rapists go free and anyone not siding with the woke crowd goes to prison? It seems they should try and make it realistic, year 2020.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think any programming can me produced that isn't woke.   Non-woke was banned as of Jan 2020.  

The funny thing is that it was rather "woke" for it's time...

• Harry, Bull, Dan, Buddy... white men.
  • Christine, Florance, Selma, Billie, & Karen... white women.
  • Mac... black man
  • Roz & Liz... black women
  • Quon Le... Asian woman
  • Yakov... Russian

In a core & regular recurring cast, you had 4 white men, 5 white women, 2 black man, 2 black women, and and Asian woman and Russian man.  They even had Bumper Robinson for 5 episodes... that's just as many as Yakov.  Today, having a show that features 15 people... 4 of which are white men, is about the norm.  Though, there'll have to be a gay person, lesbian, or trans person in the new show.  Gotta make sure that box is checked.

The difference to me is that back then, they were getting good people, regardless of race and gender... today, their objective is to get as many marginalized people as possible, with actual talent being secondary.

It is a go...  I would think Larroquette's character will have to change for the worst for sure...

Night Court: NBC Officially Orders Pilot for Sequel Series With Melissa Rauch Starring, John Larroquette Returning

https://tvline.com/2021/05/03/night-court-nbc-sequel-pilot-melissa-rauch-john-larroquette/

Night Court is back in session: NBC has officially handed a pilot order to a follow-up series to the ’80s comedy hit, with Big Bang Theory alum Melissa Rauch set to star, TVLine has learned.

Rauch will play “unapologetic optimist” Abby Stone, the daughter of Judge Harry Stone, who was played by the late Harry Anderson in the original 1984-92 NBC comedy. (Anderson passed away in 2018.) Abby “follows in her father’s footsteps as she presides over the night shift of a Manhattan arraignment court and tries to bring order to its crew of oddballs and cynics,” per the official synopsis.

Plus, original co-star John Larroquette will reprise his role as sleazy attorney Dan Fielding — although he’s since moved on from the night shift; the synopsis describes Fielding as the “former night court prosecutor.” (Larroquette won four consecutive Emmys for the role from 1985 to 1988.) Dan Rubin (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Happy Endings) will serve as writer and executive producer on the sequel series.

“My intention was purely to be behind the camera on this project, but my plans quickly changed after falling in love with the incredible script from the brilliant mind of Dan Rubin,” Rauch said in a statement. “I couldn’t be more thrilled to join forces with Dan, the immense talent that is John Larroquette, and the two powerhouse institutions of comedy that are NBC and Warner Bros. to bring Night Court back to television.”

I bet the purpose of this show is to make Dan Fielding 1000% woke and have him chastise and humiliate some other cast member for being normal.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:43 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

The funny thing is that it was rather "woke" for it's time...

Woke is based in a lie that people were racist up until a few years ago.  But as Night Court proves, you could have a diverse cast in the 1980s and no-one cared and just enjoyed the laughs.  The concept of Woke exists to divide the American people and get them voting democrat in a rage.

19 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Woke is based in a lie that people were racist up until a few years ago.  But as Night Court proves, you could have a diverse cast in the 1980s and no-one cared and just enjoyed the laughs.  The concept of Woke exists to divide the American people and get them voting democrat in a rage.

Exactly.

21 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Well said!!

On 12/16/2020 at 10:40 AM, DonS said:

Hopefully they cast someone with excellent tittays like Markie Post. :wub:

Looks like my wish came true! 

Curious to see who her mother will be.  Harry Anderson was 6'4" (so is John Larroquette), but Rauch is 4'11".  I'm guessing her mother (in future episodes), will be someone like Linda Hunt?  LOL

On 12/17/2020 at 2:39 AM, posty said:

Yeah. There is no way that show works in the woke Era.

Night court is basically where they bring in a constant stream of the scum of society.

No way to do that woke. Will be the first show in history that needs to skew more white than reality in order to be woke. 

11 hours ago, Tree of Knowledge said:

Dan is either going to now be transgender or homosexual.  

They should make him a convert to wokeness. Maybe something like he got popped with a harassment suit, had to go to training, now sees the light.

Actually, start the show off with Dan in wokeness training. That could be funny.

Then maybe now he has a hot daughter, and he's trying to fend other buzzards of her. 

On 12/16/2020 at 1:34 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

There is literally no chance of this not happening.  

52 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

There is literally no chance of this not happening.  

Sad... but true.

It’s going to be great, no matter if it is or not. That’s what we’ll be told anyhow. 

Not sure how a show that used to be on at 9:30pm will do with a reboot at 8pm, but I guess we will see...

Two episodes tonight...

On 12/16/2020 at 1:25 PM, posty said:

I just realized that you moon landed me for a thread that was 2+ years old.  Nice work!  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I just realized that you moon landed me for a thread that was 2+ years old.  Nice work!  

I will be looking for reviews from you and posty tomorrow.