Sign in to follow this  
Mike Isles

Hall of Fame Kevin Greene Dead at 58

One of the most prolific pass rushers to ever grace the gridiron, Pro Football Hall of Famer Kevin Greene has died. He was just 58.

A class of 2016 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee, Greene's 15-season NFL career was highlighted by 160 sacks, which stands as the third-highest total in league lore.

"The entire Pro Football Hall of Fame family mourns the passing of Kevin Greene," Hall of Fame President and CEO David Baker said in a statement. "I regarded him as a personal friend and a true Hall of Famer in every sense. He possessed the most incredible can-do attitude of anyone I ever met. He was a great player, but more than that, he was a great man. Our thoughts and prayers are with Kevin's wife, Tara, and their entire family. We will forever keep his legacy alive to serve as inspiration for future generations. The Hall of Fame flag will be flown at half-staff in Kevin's memory."

Greene's NFL career began with eight seasons in the Rams organizations after he was selected in the fifth round of the 1985 NFL Draft, but he would make an impact with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Carolina Panthers -- playing three seasons apiece -- as well. He also played a season with the San Francisco 49ers.

• Sad 1

Any other details regarding his death?  Cancer? CTE-related?   I'm assuming the headline would scream COVID if that was involved. 

RIP. Didn’t like him at first, grew to over time. 

I am am Auburn and Steelers fan. I shook his hand once in Jordan-Hare stadium and have a signed photo. He and Greg Lloyd were fun to watch. 

Way too young.  

fun to watch on the field 

3 hours ago, frank said:

I am am Auburn and Steelers fan. I shook his hand once in Jordan-Hare stadium and have a signed photo. He and Greg Lloyd were fun to watch. 

You are are?

Another junkie roided out Steeler

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Christ I remember when he was on the expansion Panthers. Jesus I’m getting old :( 

I know, you do not even respond to posts when quoted twice.

Are you deaf or hard of hearing?

1 hour ago, MTSkiBum said:

I know, you do not even respond to posts when quoted twice.

Are you deaf or hard of hearing?

:blink:

4 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Died 33 years to the day after his Father, Lorne, passed away.

SNL producer?

8 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

:blink:

I was trying to be funny, sort of like how crack gets the one legged jokes.

However, I did type up a thoughtful reply and you just went and disappeared on our discussion.

I even replied to you twice to try and get your attention.

The most overrated stat in all of sports. Sacks.  Saves is right behind that

Just now, edjr said:

The most overrated stat in all of sports. Sacks.  Saves is right behind that

Why are sacks overrated? I love this one. 

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why are sacks overrated? I love this one. 

1st and 10, sack loss of 7 yards. 2nd and 17. completion for 18.  :wacko:  how is sack even helpful?   how about those 1 yard sacks? :overhead: like a 3 run save. Useless

only sacks that help lead to possession change should count.

30 minutes ago, edjr said:

1st and 10, sack loss of 7 yards. 2nd and 17. completion for 18.  :wacko:  how is sack even helpful?   how about those 1 yard sacks? :overhead: like a 3 run save. Useless

Right. I bet the Patriots wish they would have sacked Eli on the three play. I bet the Cowboys wish they would have sacked Montana on the catch. Pressure  is great. Pressure doesn’t end the play. A sack does. Pressure- possibility. Sack- no possibility. My work is done here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Right. I bet the Patriots wish they would have sacked Eli on the three play. I bet the Cowboys wish they would have sacked Montana on the catch. Pressure  is great. Pressure doesn’t end the play. A sack does. Pressure- possibility. Sack- no possibility. My work is done here. 

if a 1st down comes after a sack,  sack = useless.  even you can get that through your thick head. 

11 minutes ago, edjr said:

if a 1st down comes after a sack,  sack = useless.  even you can get that through your thick head. 

So going backward in football is no big deal then? Thousands of passes are completed every year in the face of pressure. No one ever completes one when they are sacked. It ends the play. So a QB had to throw on 2nd or 3rd and long vs an incomplete pass and only needing the original ten and that means nothing? And I guess being in an obvious passing down is of no benefit to the defense? You would think watching the smartest team and coach of all time for twenty years would have taught you a few things. 

3 minutes ago, peenie said:

Is 58 really too young? I'm not 58 and I feel like I'm ready to go now. I'm tired. 

please do

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So going backward in football is no big deal then? Thousands of passes are completed every year in the face of pressure. No one ever completes one when they are sacked. It ends the play. So a QB had to throw on 2nd or 3rd and long vs an incomplete pass and only needing the original ten and that means nothing? And I guess being in an obvious passing down is of no benefit to the defense? You would think watching the smartest team and coach of all time for twenty years would have taught you a few things. 

sacks are overrated. end of story. didn't say useless, said overrated. never said going backward wasn't bad, said sacks are overrated.   c'mon, you got this

My formula for determining super bowl champions actually says sacks are overrated.  The Dolphins grade out as the best defense in the NFL today using the formula and they are middling in sacks.  The Patriots sometimes have graded in the past as a great defense while being near the bottom of the league in sacks. 

One of the most underrated defensive stats is actually average starting field position of your opponent.  The 2020 Dolphins have gone entire games not allowing the opponent to start their drives any further than the 25 yard line.  That is withering.  Last week vs the Patriots, the Dolphins have the Patriots 1 drive that started outside the 25 yard line.  The Chiefs only got 2 such drives the week before vs the Dolphins.  The week before, the Bengals only got 1 such drive and it was only at their 29. 

When the NFL moved touchbacks from the 20 to the 25 yard line in 2015, it actually juiced the league's offenses.  Because even those 5 bonus yards are amazingly important.

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

My formula for determining super bowl champions actually says sacks are overrated.  The Dolphins grade out as the best defense in the NFL today using the formula and they are middling in sacks.  The Patriots sometimes have graded in the past as a great defense while being near the bottom of the league in sacks. 

One of the most underrated defensive stats is actually average starting field position of your opponent.  The 2020 Dolphins have gone entire games not allowing the opponent to start their drives any further than the 25 yard line.  That is withering.  Last week vs the Patriots, the Dolphins have the Patriots 1 drive that started outside the 25 yard line.  The Chiefs only got 2 such drives the week before vs the Dolphins.  The week before, the Bengals only got 1 such drive and it was only at their 29. 

When the NFL moved touchbacks from the 20 to the 25 yard line in 2015, it actually juiced the league's offenses.  Because even those 5 bonus yards are amazingly important.

:first: :first: :first: :first: :first: 

Average starting field position is so important that it is more valuable to have a disciplined, smart team that makes few mistakes, which is basically the type of team Belichick always tries to build.  You also want to take away the thing the other team is most comfortable doing to force even tiny mistakes, which again is what Belichick tries to do.

15 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

The Dolphins defense is super bowl quality.  If Tua catches fire at the end of the season, look out.

He looks like a lefty Cam

1 hour ago, edjr said:

This post was so dumb I actually had to like HT’s reply :thumbsdown:

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I was trying to be funny, sort of like how crack gets the one legged jokes.

However, I did type up a thoughtful reply and you just went and disappeared on our discussion.

I even replied to you twice to try and get your attention.

Ahh okay. Well I am hard of hearing though some people would even say “deaf,” some definitions are pretty broad (like in the “deaf community”) so you don’t have to be totally 100% deaf. However I do not self-identify as deaf, partly because I just don’t care for sign language. Some day I might need cochlear implants though :) 

Now I’ll go try to reply to your other post. Honestly it was a little over my head 😂 

46 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

The Dolphins defense is super bowl quality.  If Tua catches fire at the end of the season, look out.

And yet you said to take the Patriots with Cam Newton going against them. Nice backup you got there , Ed 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

19 hours ago, DonS said:

Any other details regarding his death?  Cancer? CTE-related?   I'm assuming the headline would scream COVID if that was involved. 

Covid. Doesn't matter what he really died from, the toe tag will say 'Covid'.

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And yet you said to take the Patriots with Cam Newton going against them. Nice backup you got there , Ed 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

Because Belichick always drums rookie QBs leading to a win.  That win didn't come this time.