fandandy

What is your favorite show that most have never heard of?

On 12/24/2020 at 9:06 PM, Cloaca du jour said:

George Michaels Sport Machine

Was that the one in the men's room stall?

The Shield

Just started watching Hinterland on Netflix (from 2013 in Brittain).  It is really solid.  It's a murder mystery filmed in Wales where every episode is an hour and a half.  That is enough time to let the characters breathe and the mystery to unfold.  Its kinda on the dark side with some of the plots.  Definitely recommend.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:50 PM, wiffleball said:

Still feels like  Yosemite is not getting the Crowds or press it deserves. 

Did you know that Rip is the ginger guy from Dazed and Confused? 

I was watching D&C the other day and his voice sounded familiar. I told my wife "I think that's Rip." 

She looked it up and sure enough, it's him. 

On 12/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, Kopy said:

How was the Fringe?

We were X-Files fan's back in the day, but never watched this one. I've been debating picking this up for a winter binge.

Just confirming what others have said, Fringe is a terrific show. It is clear they have set up a long term story, and wrap up all story lines by the end. It's one of the rare times FOX allowed a series to end on it's own terms. Focking Firefly couldn't even get a full season. Fock. It's starts a bit slow/dull in the first couple of episodes, but picks up momentum in the later stages of Season 1. Some monster of the week, some overall arc episodes, like X-Files. Seasons 2, 3, and 5 are amazing. I thought Season 4 was a bit...off.  I didn't expect to like most of the characters, some of it based on their past work; I was wrong. John Noble in particular as Walter Bishop is a pure joy to watch over 5 seasons in so many different ways and deserved a fistful of Emmies. He and Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black deserve so much more acclaim for their work.

I would say that some of the concepts explored are unique, but after the Marvel universe movies, science is now an open book, but at least they were ahead of their time. Fringe is similar to X-Files in aspects, from JJ Abrams, the creator of Alias, LOST, Revolution, and a bunch of other stuff now like making blockbuster movies of Star Wars and Star Trek, which I don't watch, but anyway.  The ending of Fringe could make a person shed a tear or three...thousand.

6 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Just confirming what others have said, Fringe is a terrific show. It is clear they have set up a long term story, and wrap up all story lines by the end. It's one of the rare times FOX allowed a series to end on it's own terms. Focking Firefly couldn't even get a full season. Fock. It's starts a bit slow/dull in the first couple of episodes, but picks up momentum in the later stages of Season 1. Some monster of the week, some overall arc episodes, like X-Files. Seasons 2, 3, and 5 are amazing. I thought Season 4 was a bit...off.  I didn't expect to like most of the characters, some of it based on their past work; I was wrong. John Noble in particular as Walter Bishop is a pure joy to watch over 5 seasons in so many different ways and deserved a fistful of Emmies. He and Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black deserve so much more acclaim for their work.

I would say that some of the concepts explored are unique, but after the Marvel universe movies, science is now an open book, but at least they were ahead of their time. Fringe is similar to X-Files in aspects, from JJ Abrams, the creator of Alias, LOST, Revolution, and a bunch of other stuff now like making blockbuster movies of Star Wars and Star Trek, which I don't watch, but anyway.  The ending of Fringe could make a person shed a tear or three...thousand.

Also, I think Psych and Fringe tend to be among my favorite television shows; they have similar quirky concepts. Psych asks the viewer to identify the pineapples per episode. Fringe asks the viewer to identify The Observers, the bald headed men that are omnipresent, and are in every episode.

You should consider checking out Psych as well. Very fast, deadpan, quirky dialogue. Cast chemistry is great. Mystery of the day concept in a sort of police procedural. Pilot episode kind of sucks, then picks up quickly. 8 fairly short seasons, and now onto TV movies. They are making more.

59 minutes ago, phillybear said:

Also, I think Psych and Fringe tend to be among my favorite television shows; they have similar quirky concepts. Psych asks the viewer to identify the pineapples per episode. Fringe asks the viewer to identify The Observers, the bald headed men that are omnipresent, and are in every episode.

You should consider checking out Psych as well. Very fast, deadpan, quirky dialogue. Cast chemistry is great. Mystery of the day concept in a sort of police procedural. Pilot episode kind of sucks, then picks up quickly. 8 fairly short seasons, and now onto TV movies. They are making more.

Psych is a phenominal show that doesn’t get the love it should.  The chemistry with the cast is flawless and the humor very dry and well written.  Each character brings their own unique role to the show.  I was sorry to see it end but glad they are continuing to make movies.

Another show to check out is Better Off Ted.  It aired in 2009 and only got two seasons but man was it well written.  The humor was fresh and clever; critics loved it but for some reason it never really found an audience.

7 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Trailer Park Boys

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Big Mouth

Bob's Burgers

Man, I hope it’s not a focking samsquanch...

• Haha 1

Psych & Corner Gas are my favorite 2 shows since Seinfeld.

On 12/26/2020 at 4:23 PM, Drizzay said:

Just started watching Hinterland on Netflix (from 2013 in Brittain).  It is really solid.  It's a murder mystery filmed in Wales where every episode is an hour and a half.  That is enough time to let the characters breathe and the mystery to unfold.  Its kinda on the dark side with some of the plots.  Definitely recommend.

Is each episode basically standalone or is it one season long story? 

6 minutes ago, DonS said:

Is each episode basically standalone or is it one season long story? 

Each episode is a standalone.  I kinda like it.  Each one keeps you guessing

1 minute ago, Drizzay said:

Cool.  Thx for the heads up. 

3 hours ago, Drizzay said:

Wife and I watched the first episode and we both liked it.  Very good show.  :thumbsup:

We did watch with subtitles, though, as some characters had pretty strong Welsh accents and would've made some things a bit hard to follow. 

18 minutes ago, fandandy said:

-25 in Rouleau right now.  Ooof.

Never heard of it. What's it about?  :dunno:

8 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Never heard of it. What's it about?  :dunno:

That is where Corner Gas was filmed.  The show though revolves around a gas station and diner in a fictional town called Dog River in Saskatchewan, Canada.  I loved it but it's prolly not for everyone.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07KWHJPSK/ref=atv_dp_season_select_s1

12 minutes ago, fandandy said:

That is where Corner Gas was filmed.  The show though revolves around a gas station and diner in a fictional town called Dog River in Saskatchewan, Canada.  I loved it but it's prolly not for everyone.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07KWHJPSK/ref=atv_dp_season_select_s1

I'll check it out. :thumbsup:

Also, Dog River doesn't sound like a fictional town. Moose Jaw on the other hand... Friggin Canadians. :D

On 2/6/2021 at 11:04 AM, fandandy said:

-25 in Rouleau right now.  Ooof.

-34 there tonight.  That is nuts.  Not even the windchill.  The regular temperature.  

On 12/23/2020 at 11:52 PM, wiffleball said:

Police Squad!

And, movies that old time Gangster series with Dennis Farina? It was like a 1940s version of Miami Vice.

Angie Tribecca...new police squad type show...friggin hilarious!!

On 12/27/2020 at 11:43 PM, phillybear said:

I recently re watched Fringe. It was awesome even the second, er, third time around. 

Where I grew up we did not get MTV. We would watch Night Tracks and Friday Night Videos religiously up until my parents moved us away to a city that had MTV!

On 12/26/2020 at 10:33 AM, edjr said:

The Shield

I fricken loved that show. Watched it from the very beginning all the way to the end. Fookin Shane was the guy you loved to hate. He got Lem killed didn't he? 

Just now, KayJay1971 said:

I fricken loved that show. Watched it from the very beginning all the way to the end. Fookin Shane was the guy you loved to hate. He got Lem killed didn't he? 

Sure did :(     

If you like Shane, you should check out Justified if you haven't seen it.

43 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Spoiler alert!!!

;)

33 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Mr. Inbetween...on the moon.

Fixored.