Sign in to follow this  
easilyscan

Anyone else leery about starting the Browns defense ?

It could've been a total fluke, but the Jets beating the Rams on the road last week, is making me reconsider starting them in New York tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I’m starting IND vs PIT instead.  

That's a gutsy move. 

I was surprised to see Washington on the WW. Considering starting them instead.

Would rather go with the Browns then the Colts, and I would pick up the Redskins. 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Would rather go with the Browns then the Colts, and I would pick up the Redskins. 

I am playing Browns over Colts. Last week was a fluke.

With all the Browns receivers out due to coronavirus, the Browns might not be able to move the ball. That could spell disaster for their D. Did you say the Washington D is available on waivers? I’d go with them.

Starting Browns D with confidence. Jets Suck, Myles Garrett gets 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble...

2 hours ago, dogcows said:

With all the Browns receivers out due to coronavirus, the Browns might not be able to move the ball. That could spell disaster for their D. Did you say the Washington D is available on waivers? I’d go with them.

Yeah I’m more concerned about this than the Jets actually being any good.  I just made the switch to WFT myself, fingers crossed 

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

Yeah I’m more concerned about this than the Jets actually being any good.  I just made the switch to WFT myself, fingers crossed 

Browns will ground and pound. Chubb and Hunt will feast and Mayfield will hit the TE’s. Actually sets up well for the defense.

I picked up the Browns, and will roll with them over Indy.  PIT's offense may be horrid the past few weeks, but they don't give up sacks (ball gets out too fast), and they're well coached / don't commit turnovers..  #31 in points given up to opposing team's DEFs..

I decided to stick with the Browns. I still think Washington is better, but the the Panthers offence doesn't give up many points to opposing D's

38 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Wrong

Browns got robbed of a strip fumble Td. Refs suck...

I stuck with the Browns. I know league scoring varies, but they ended up with 6 points in mine. Better than a sharp stick in the eye!

16 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I started the Jets defense.  Got me 12 points. :thumbsup:

And did you win? 

35 minutes ago, weepaws said:

And did you win? 

It's a DraftKings style league where we all have a salary cap.  We just do points.  Team with the most points gets 10 points that week, the team with the least amount, gets 1.  I'll likely finish in 2nd this week.  They were the cheapest defense available.

12 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's a DraftKings style league where we all have a salary cap.  We just do points.  Team with the most points gets 10 points that week, the team with the least amount, gets 1.  I'll likely finish in 2nd this week.  They were the cheapest defense available.

Cool, thank you. Congrats. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I started the Jets defense.  Got me 12 points. :thumbsup:

Great call!

Just proves that starting defenses and kickers is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get :)

17 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

Great call!

Just proves that starting defenses and kickers is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get :)

Exactly.

Pittsburgh and Miami are #1 in takeaways at 27 and there are 7 teams that have 20.  That encompasses the top 20 defenses in takeaways.  At 2 points per takeaway, you can expect 1 point per game more from the #1 defense than the #20 defense when it comes to turnovers.

The #1 team in points against is Miami at 18.8 ppg.  In my fantasy league, anything over 17 points is worth 0 points.  Again, in my league, you don't lose points until you give up 28 points.  Only 7 teams average giving up over 28 ppg.

Sacks in my league are worth 2 points.  The #1 team is Pittsburgh at 52 (7 fantasy points per game).  The #20 defense is KC at 29 (4 fpg).

• #1 in ppg is 18.8 and league average is 24.7.  So, if you have the #1 defense or league average (#16), you can expect 0 fantasy points on average from your defense when it comes to points against.
  • #1 in takeaways is 27 (1.8 per game), and the league average is 19 (1.3 per game.  So, if you have the #1 defense, you can expect 3.6 fpg, league average (#16), expect 2.6 fpg. 
  • #1 in sacks per game is 3.5, league average is 2.2.

The #1 team in fantasy from a sacks and takeaway perspective is Pittsburgh.  You can expect 7.1 fpg from them.  If you have the league average (#16), that's Green Bay.  They'll get you 4.8 fpg.  So, baring an abnormally low scoring game or a TD, you're going to get about 5 or 6 ppg from your defense.  Heck, the #32 defense (Lions), will get you 3 fpg.  You're only talking 4 points.

In my league, the Steelers averaged 9.5 fpg, #16 was the Browns at 6.2... the Lions were #32 at 1.9.  Unless forced to draft 2 defenses (I'm in a league like that... only 1 of them), no one is going to have a team that bad.  So, 3.3 ppg is the difference between #1 and #16.  You're rolling the dice every week.

I wouldn't ever feel very good about starting the Browns D

I currently have a 73% chance to win my championship and for that I can thank in a large part the fact that my opponent started Cleveland D (8 points... I started Tampa D for 18)

2 hours ago, t.j said:

I currently have a 73% chance to win my championship and for that I can thank in a large part the fact that my opponent started Cleveland D (8 points... I started Tampa D for 18)

Who were his other options?

40 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Who were his other options?

10 team league so lots of options. Washington would have been his best available option on the waiver wire (17 pts). Last week he started the Rams, he dropped them, they outscored Cleveland too (11-8). I beat him by less than 5 so there were a few options that would have won it for him including Jets defense

41 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Washington got 17 in your league? They only got 10 in mine

Just depends how the league is set up. In mine, they only got 9.

4 hours ago, t.j said:

I currently have a 73% chance to win my championship ...

I always wonder how they figure those things.  During the Chiefs game yesterday, when the Chiefs were behind late and had the ball in their own territory, the NextGen Stats Alert said the Chiefs had a 24% chance of winning.

I literally laughed and said out loud, "Have you ever WATCHED the Chiefs?"  And then I thought a moment later, "Have you ever watched the FALCONS???"

I woulda put the chances at somewhere around 85% myself.

14 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Washington got 17 in your league? They only got 10 in mine

Yeah this league gives 1 point per TFL and they had 8 of those

13 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I always wonder how they figure those things.  During the Chiefs game yesterday, when the Chiefs were behind late and had the ball in their own territory, the NextGen Stats Alert said the Chiefs had a 24% chance of winning.

I literally laughed and said out loud, "Have you ever WATCHED the Chiefs?"  And then I thought a moment later, "Have you ever watched the FALCONS???"

I woulda put the chances at somewhere around 85% myself.

That's exactly why I take the analytics stuff with a grain of salt. It assumes too many things are equal or random when they're not

They do start off those things with the Chiefs > 50% chance to win vs Atlanta. So they do take team strength into account in some ways at least.

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

That's exactly why I take the analytics stuff with a grain of salt. It assumes too many things are equal or random when they're not

Same for technical analysis when it comes to stocks.

I've been investing for 25+ years. 2 of my 'work friends' swore by TA. I can't even imagine how much money they spent on magazines, investors business daily newspaper, websites, etc. over the years. I'd show them a 1 year chart of a stock I own, & it would go something like this. Oh yeah, I could've told you it was going to do this in March, this in April, & this in December.

When I'd ask them what it's going to do next, I got the deer in the headlights look :)

I retired 5 years ago, they're still working.

1 hour ago, easilyscan said:

Same for technical analysis when it comes to stocks.

I've been investing for 25+ years. 2 of my 'work friends' swore by TA. I can't even imagine how much money they spent on magazines, investors business daily newspaper, websites, etc. over the years. I'd show them a 1 year chart of a stock I own, & it would go something like this. Oh yeah, I could've told you it was going to do this in March, this in April, & this in December.

When I'd ask them what it's going to do next, I got the deer in the headlights look :)

I retired 5 years ago, they're still working.

Yeah, fantasy football is a lot like investing in the stock market.

If you want to have surefire success in either then you need to be able to do one thing and one thing only.

That is, know what's gonna happen before it happens. 😆

I have a good supply of gold and silver stashed up over the past 25 years or so, that's my main retirement fund.

I'm tired of the high taxes and everything costing an arm and a leg.

I'll plan to sell it all and get a retirement visa in Thailand or Costa Rica.

Live the good life in tropical paradise!

2 hours ago, polecatt said:

Yeah, fantasy football is a lot like investing in the stock market.

If you want to have surefire success in either then you need to be able to do one thing and one thing only.

That is, know what's gonna happen before it happens. 😆

I have a good supply of gold and silver stashed up over the past 25 years or so, that's my main retirement fund.

I'm tired of the high taxes and everything costing an arm and a leg.

I'll plan to sell it all and get a retirement visa in Thailand or Costa Rica.

Live the good life in tropical paradise!

I have a 'few' Franklin & 1964 Kennedy halves.

You really hit a nerve with me in sentence 5. The federal reserve keeping interest rates at basically zero because they say there's no inflation.

Where the hell have they been ? Over the past 25 years, my homeowners insurance went from $275 a year to 1500, before I raise the deductible from 500 to 5000.

Heads they win, tails I lose.

We don't even need to talk about what healthcare costs have done over the past 25 years. The cost for things like a hot water heater, siding, shingles, etc.

Higher education costs. Of course the next White House occupant & his VP want to forgive those.

What could possibly go wrong ?

I think your idea to get away is probably a good one. I don't think this country is going to end well.

30 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

I have a 'few' Franklin & 1964 Kennedy halves.

You really hit a nerve with me in sentence 5. The federal reserve keeping interest rates at basically zero because they say there's no inflation.

Where the hell have they been ? Over the past 25 years, my homeowners insurance went from $275 a year to 1500, before I raise the deductible from 500 to 5000.

Heads they win, tails I lose.

We don't even need to talk about what healthcare costs have done over the past 25 years. The cost for things like a hot water heater, siding, shingles, etc.

Higher education costs. Of course the next White House occupant & his VP want to forgive those.

What could possibly go wrong ?

I think your idea to get away is probably a good one. I don't think this country is going to end well.

Right, I don't expect the new regime to do anything to help us working folks too much.

I taught English in Thailand for 3 years and I absolutely loved it! Also heard Costa Rica is real nice too, but haven't been there yet, going to check it out at some point.

Thailand's a beautiful country, wonderful people, and the cost of living is so low it's ridiculous. The beaches, take the high $$$ ones in California or Florida, and it puts them to shame. You can live very comfortably there on $1500 a month or even less. Can get a nice condo for like $300 a month. They have good healthcare that isn't so sky high. I'm starting to sound like a travel agency, lol.

That's part of the reason I started getting gold and silver. It was nearly impossible for me to invest in stocks from overseas and not get taxed out of my mind. So I just ordered gold and silver bars, had them sent to family here, let it stack up.

I'm just gonna say F all of that stuff with home owners insurance, property taxes, interest rates, etc. and move somewhere like that where I can enjoy life and not be worried with it all

20 hours ago, polecatt said:

Right, I don't expect the new regime to do anything to help us working folks too much.

I taught English in Thailand for 3 years and I absolutely loved it! Also heard Costa Rica is real nice too, but haven't been there yet, going to check it out at some point.

Thailand's a beautiful country, wonderful people, and the cost of living is so low it's ridiculous. The beaches, take the high $$$ ones in California or Florida, and it puts them to shame. You can live very comfortably there on $1500 a month or even less. Can get a nice condo for like $300 a month. They have good healthcare that isn't so sky high. I'm starting to sound like a travel agency, lol.

That's part of the reason I started getting gold and silver. It was nearly impossible for me to invest in stocks from overseas and not get taxed out of my mind. So I just ordered gold and silver bars, had them sent to family here, let it stack up.

I'm just gonna say F all of that stuff with home owners insurance, property taxes, interest rates, etc. and move somewhere like that where I can enjoy life and not be worried with it all

Forgot to add that my health care premiums are going up 32.58% in 2021

I can afford it, but we all know hikes like that every couple of years aren't sustainable.

My other concern is debt. In 1980, the nation reached 1 trillion in debt for the first time.

A mere 40 years later, we've multiplied that by 30. Worse yet, if the unfunded liabilities from Social Security and Medicare are added, it's actually 70 trillion.. maybe more ?

There's a plaque in the cafeteria at the Fortune 500 packaging/container company that I worked at for 30 years.

1: Identify root cause.

2: Take corrective action.

3: Monitor/follow up

In the early 2000s, I was on several corrective action teams (CAT)

Identify a problem area, get 4 or 5 people together for a couple hours every week, identify & set up corrective action, follow up/monitor.

Once we got past all the statistical process control, & six sigma BS, it worked great.

I only bring this up to show that this is what government needs to do, relating to healthcare, higher ed, etc.

Problem is, none of them have the balz. Seems all they're good at is turning a blind eye to sectors where costs are out of control, & trying to shift the burden/costs to someone else. Like one of my neighbors, who had every chance in life to save, but didn't, and therefore I have to pay $20,000.00 on healthcare per year, while his is basically free.

I may seriously consider what you're considering sometime in the near future.

I hear Belize is nice :)