Sign in to follow this  
GobbleDog

Utah RB accidently shoots himself - he dead

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Firearms aren't a concern of mine either. I just think people who buy them should be required to know how to use them. It's not a hard concept. Background checks are also important. Go figure, I'm a raging liberal now I guess.

Background checks should be required to make public speech as well then eh?

Dumb.

2 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Died from a gunshot wound to the hip? :huh:

Seems like a strange place for a fatal GSW. I suppose it could've somehow hit the carotid. Bullets can do funny things sometimes. 

Not carotid.  Femoral.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

I didn't intend this thread to be a gun debate, but here we are. 

As for the garbage disposal metaphor.... by that logic, might as well legalize fully-automatic rifles, grenades, and rocket launchers. After all "it's not the rocket launcher's fault if someone gets killed."  Problem is you know damn well lots of people would get massacred because of the few morons out there who wouldn't be responsible with those types of weapons. Same with all guns.

"If we only required more gun training..." yeah, that wouldn't do anything to U.S. gun violence rates.  Pick your baby-step worthless law: better background checks, limit magazine sizes, outlaw violent games/movies... none of it does anything. 

You know what would?  Ban commercial firearm sales.  Since that ain't happening, there's nothing to discuss. But please stop with the "it's not the gun's fault" argument. Don't be stupid.

How about 'fuckyou"?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

BLS won this thread. 

I know.  They know.

They just can't admit it.

7 minutes ago, BLS said:

Background checks should be required to make public speech as well then eh?

Dumb.

:doh:

Just now, Utilit99 said:

:doh:

What part don't you understand?

You keep making your decisions on your feelings.

That's what women do.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BLS said:

What part don't you understand?

You keep making your decisions on your feelings.

That's what women do.

I have 0 emotional feelings about any of this situation. 

UPDATED STATISTICS FOR ACCIDENTAL GUN DEATHS

In 2018, accidental gun deaths accounted for 1% (458) of total gun-related deaths (39,740) in the United States. 

• Thus far in 2020, there have been unintentional shootings by over 220 children. This has resulted in 92 deaths and 135 injuries. 
  • Shelter-in-place orders during the coronavirus pandemic have led to major spikes in accidental shootings at home by children. Deadly unintentional shootings were up 43% in March & April compared to the same months in the previous 2 years.
  • Around 77% of accidental gun deaths happen in the home.
  • From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.
  • Accidental gun deaths occur mainly to those under 25 years old. In 2014, 2,549 children (age 0-19) died by gunshot and an additional 13,576 were injured.
  • Adolescents are particularly susceptible to accidental shootings due to specific behavioral characteristics associated with adolescence, such as impulsivity, feelings of invincibility, and curiosity about firearms.
  • The majority of people killed in firearm accidents are under age 24, and most of these young people are being shot by someone else, usually someone their own age.  The shooter is typically a friend or family member, often an older brother.  By contrast, older adults are at a far lower risk of accidental firearm death, and most often are shooting themselves. (source)

14 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I have 0 emotional feelings about any of this situation. 

UPDATED STATISTICS FOR ACCIDENTAL GUN DEATHS

In 2018, accidental gun deaths accounted for 1% (458) of total gun-related deaths (39,740) in the United States. 

• Thus far in 2020, there have been unintentional shootings by over 220 children. This has resulted in 92 deaths and 135 injuries. 
  • Shelter-in-place orders during the coronavirus pandemic have led to major spikes in accidental shootings at home by children. Deadly unintentional shootings were up 43% in March & April compared to the same months in the previous 2 years.
  • Around 77% of accidental gun deaths happen in the home.
  • From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.
  • Accidental gun deaths occur mainly to those under 25 years old. In 2014, 2,549 children (age 0-19) died by gunshot and an additional 13,576 were injured.
  • Adolescents are particularly susceptible to accidental shootings due to specific behavioral characteristics associated with adolescence, such as impulsivity, feelings of invincibility, and curiosity about firearms.
  • The majority of people killed in firearm accidents are under age 24, and most of these young people are being shot by someone else, usually someone their own age.  The shooter is typically a friend or family member, often an older brother.  By contrast, older adults are at a far lower risk of accidental firearm death, and most often are shooting themselves. (source)

Am I supposed to be impacted by this?

3 minutes ago, BLS said:

Am I supposed to be impacted by this?

Maybe just do a better job of teaching people how to use and safely store firearms if that is what you do for a living.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

True.  Same thing with automobiles.

Not quite the same thing, unless your guns have air bags and other safety features built in for accidents.

I’m a gun advocate and even I know that guns are far less forgiving than most other things that cause accidental deaths.

I never said that guns themselves are the problem. It’s the fact that it’s so easy for irresponsible people get access to them.

A gun is an inanimate object so it can’t be blamed. People are 100% responsible for them. 

• Like 1

The thing that drives me most insane about gun right advocates, is the lack of objectivity... (aside from quick name calling and "f you" retorts - see thread).

If hypothetically, gun deaths and gun violence rates in the U.S. were similar with every other first world country, or even half of what they currently are, I'd say "ok, in that circumstance I'd probably agree, let's keep the guns. It's worth it."

But ask a gun advocate "hypothetically, what if mass murders, gun deaths and gun violence rates were twice as high as they currently are? THEN would you agree to get rid of guns?  "nope."  What about 10 x's as high? "nope." Is there ANY hypothetical situation in which you would agree we should eliminate guns?  "nope."   

I get it - they love the idea/tradition of owning guns, it's a political thing, and they have a personal attachment to being a proud American gun owner. But there's no reason or objectivity in their debate.  Just a lot of "guns don't kill people" and insults.  Whatever... in the long run they win. Nothing's gonna change in our lifetimes.  Enjoy the carnage America. We've already had a lot and there's a hell of a lot more coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Strike said:

One guy shoots himself and it's "too many irresponsible people"?  Do you know how many guns there are in this country?   😁

Do you know how many people there are that have no business handling a gun but still do?  That’s the real problem, not the stupid crap the rest of you spew. 

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Maybe just do a better job of teaching people how to use and safely store firearms if that is what you do for a living.

I always try to be better, but suggesting I could do a better job indicates you know I'm not.

Where would you come up with that?

48 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

The thing that drives me most insane about gun right advocates, is the lack of objectivity... (aside from quick name calling and "f you" retorts - see thread).

If hypothetically, gun deaths and gun violence rates in the U.S. were similar with every other first world country, or even half of what they currently are, I'd say "ok, in that circumstance I'd probably agree, let's keep the guns. It's worth it."

But ask a gun advocate "hypothetically, what if mass murders, gun deaths and gun violence rates were twice as high as they currently are? THEN would you agree to get rid of guns?  "nope."  What about 10 x's as high? "nope." Is there ANY hypothetical situation in which you would agree we should eliminate guns?  "nope."   

I get it - they love the idea/tradition of owning guns, it's a political thing, and they have a personal attachment to being a proud American gun owner. But there's no reason or objectivity in their debate.  Just a lot of "guns don't kill people" and insults.  Whatever... in the long run they win. Nothing's gonna change in our lifetimes.  Enjoy the carnage America. We've already had a lot and there's a hell of a lot more coming.

In your entire diatribe, there's only one thing you got right.  That we're not going to give them up.

The rest is emotional bullshit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 5-Points said:

That's not a gun problem, that's a people problem. 

His kind of thinking is irresponsible. He will never see it that way  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

You're right, there is nothing criminals and irresponsible dumbasses can do that would make me want to take away everybody else's rights. Because that would be retarded. 

7 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

His kind of thinking is irresponsible. He will never see it that way  

:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, 5-Points said:

Thats what I meant. :doh:

Thats on the inside of the thigh, though. The "hip" makes me think of the outside of the top of the leg/side of ass. 

But, like I said, bullets can do some funny things. Or maybe he went into shock. :dunno:

Probably putting it in his pocket or waste, it discharged blowing his junk off then hit the artery. You don’t put pressure on it ASAP I imagine you die quick. 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Not quite the same thing, unless your guns have air bags and other safety features built in for accidents.

I’m a gun advocate and even I know that guns are far less forgiving than most other things that cause accidental deaths.

I never said that guns themselves are the problem. It’s the fact that it’s so easy for irresponsible people get access to them.

A gun is an inanimate object so it can’t be blamed. People are 100% responsible for them. 

Not necessarily arguing with you, but with each new "safety feature" built into our modern automobiles these days makes the driver much more likely to die or kill others in an "accident" .

Why, one would ask?  I'll tell you why.  ADAS is slowly taking the person to vehicle aspect out of the equation and substituting it with driver laziness. 
Rear view camera? (obviously old school, but had to include it)  FOCK YEA...I don't have to look both ways when backing out of my driveway anymore :banana:
Lane change warning?  FOCK YEA...I don't have to think about whether or not I'm still in my lane...A nice loud BEEP will tell me :banana:
ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) ? FOCK YEA..Let's just set that damn thing and trust that the car in front of me (or the people that programmed this feature) are smarter than I am behind the wheel to make quick decisions :banana:

Small example of what is currently being offered in our tech happy cars. 

Many many more coming down the pipeline, people. 

Bottom line is that the "smarter" they make the cars, the dumber they make the driver.  FACT

9 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

Rear view camera? (obviously old school, but had to include it)  FOCK YEA...I don't have to look both ways when backing out of my driveway anymore :banana:

When I first drove a car with a rear view camera, I thought the same thing.  Pretty cool for people who already know how to drive, but new drivers won't learn to look around. Same with the land change warning and not checking blindspots.

Though once all cars are totally autonomous (20+ years), the roads will be safer.

12 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Do you know how many people there are that have no business handling a gun but still do?  That’s the real problem, not the stupid crap the rest of you spew. 

do you know many people there that have no business posting on an internet message board?  That's the real problem, not the stupid crap that the rest of you spew.

9 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

Not necessarily arguing with you, but with each new "safety feature" built into our modern automobiles these days makes the driver much more likely to die or kill others in an "accident" .

Why, one would ask?  I'll tell you why.  ADAS is slowly taking the person to vehicle aspect out of the equation and substituting it with driver laziness. 
Lane change warning?  FOCK YEA...I don't have to think about whether or not I'm still in my lane...A nice loud BEEP will tell me :banana:
ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) ? FOCK YEA..Let's just set that damn thing and trust that the car in front of me (or the people that programmed this feature) are smarter than I am behind the wheel to make quick decisions :banana:

Bottom line is that the "smarter" they make the cars, the dumber they make the driver.  FACT

I’m very happy that all 3 of my kids have had as their first car an 09 Corolla that has none of this.  My youngest has it now.  She drove me to Mayo the other day and I noticed that she actually turned and looked through the rear window when backing up.  She also avoids driving in peoples’ blind spots (or anywhere next to another car if she can avoid it, on a freeway).  Also also doesn’t change lanes if there is a parallel car two lanes over, since they may try to do the same thing.  Little things that we old farts mostly do without even thinking about it, and now she has it ingrained in her as well.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

10 hours ago, SUXBNME said:

Cell phones are worse than this entire statement 

Where did the shooting occur? His house? Was it his gun? Just curious as to why those parts of the story were left out from what I read. Seems weird for a college freshman to have a gun. 

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

do you know many people there that have no business posting on an internet message board?  That's the real problem, not the stupid crap that the rest of you spew.

Took you that long to come up with that?

2 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Well, current day America, people get attacked in many ways for things they post on the internet. Houses get vandalized, death threats, fired from their jobs. Posting some things on the internet can be like shooting yourself in the foot. :dunno:

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Took you that long to come up with that?

Huh?  What do you mean "took you that long"?  I don't get it.

It literally took me 2 seconds to read your post and respond.  🤷‍♂️

20 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Pretty sure I read that the biggest percentage of gun deaths in the United States are suicides

over 60% of "gun deaths" are suicides, but thats the guns fault

On 12/26/2020 at 6:18 PM, tanatastic said:

You are comparing mountains to molehills. Speech more deadly than guns is an ocean sized stretch in this argument. 

I don't know about that.  I'm willing to bet more wars and deaths came from what people said, than what they did.

24 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know about that.  I'm willing to bet more wars and deaths came from what people said, than what they did.

I'm with you.

33 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I thought it didn't matter what a leader said, so long as what they did was "right". That was all we heard the last 4 years. :dunno:

• Like 1

Need to know color of said RB and I will render judgment

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Need to know color of said RB and I will render judgment

Red