Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Washington says bye-bye to Dwayne Haskins

I dunno, if you can't succeed with Cam and Steven Sims at WR, not to mention Peyton Barber in the backfield, where ARE you going to succeed?

7 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

I dunno, if you can't succeed with Cam and Steven Sims at WR, not to mention Peyton Barber in the backfield, where ARE you going to succeed?

Neva underestimate Cam Friggin' Sims!

I'd love to see Tampa claim him after he passes through waivers.  Let him sit behind Brady for a year and being surrounded by a lot of weapons could help him.  If he shows enough, maybe he can compete for a job in 2022.

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'd love to see Tampa claim him after he passes through waivers.  Let him sit behind Brady for a year and being surrounded by a lot of weapons could help him.  If he shows enough, maybe he can compete for a job in 2022.

Dwayne Haskins and Antonio Brown.

Now that's a night out on the town!

• Haha 1

I am a Raiders fan, I was sweating big time thinking they were going to draft him.

Although they did not strike gold with the 4th overall.

Wish they would had Ended up with Josh Allen . 

Raiders franchise just strike out so much on those ‘lottery’ picks.

4 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

Apparently the last straw was him skipping out on the postgame press conference.

Remember his first win as a pro last season they had to send the back up QB in to take a knee because he was too busy signing autographs for fans in the stands

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Florida, very well represented in the list, I see.

You have 8 of the 10 in 3 states, Florida, Nevada, and Louisiana, along with perhaps the two most violent cities in the country, St Louis and Detroit. Lots of fun!

Far cry though from the most fun city on Earth, Bangkok!

5 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Nobody will pay that. He is horrible and another typical wasted pick by Dan Snyder.

5 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

This clown simply sucks and is a skinny J-fat Russell in his approach to the game and skill set. How will we know if a team is horrible at evaluating QB talent. Easy, any team that signs this clown and pays that $ to him, is really stupid. Washington is hoping someone is dumber than they were.

He gets the last laugh, if he has a brain.....even if he never gets signed as a backup again (and he probably will)

4.3 Million next year guaranteed for doing nothing. 

He could use 1.3 million and secure a good home/acreage, and decide what he wants to do career-wise.

Then even if he only took 3 million and invested it semi-wisely, averaging an 8% return/year with compounding, he'd have 65 million by the time he was retirement age.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, stonewall said:

He gets the last laugh, if he has a brain.....even if he never gets signed as a backup again (and he probably will)

He could use 1.3 million and secure a good home/acreage, and decide what he wants to do career-wise.

Then even if he only took 3 million and invested it semi-wisely, averaging an 8% return/year with compounding, he'd have 65 million by the time he was retirement age.

Assuming he gets that money.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/28/washington-dwayne-haskins-potentially-will-do-battle-over-more-than-4-2-million/

1 hour ago, stonewall said:

Judging by his behavior so far in the NFL, I don’t imagine he is the type to save his money...

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

If there was a loophole in his contract like that and he loses his guaranteed money, his agent should be on the NFLPA blacklist forever...

14 minutes ago, dogcows said:

If there was a loophole in his contract like that and he loses his guaranteed money, his agent should be on the NFLPA blacklist forever...

Leonard Fournette had one too, and the Jags are trying to use it to not pay him.

No idea how common the clause is, because we so rarely hear about it. Most cuts don't have anything to do with behavior.

11 hours ago, dogcows said:

Judging by his behavior so far in the NFL, I don’t imagine he is the type to save his money...

Probably headed back to the strip bar to try and get back the $ he blew there the other night while applying for the janitors job.

21 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This is the problem. Knuckleheads like this guy keep getting chances and it almost never works out. Bad play on the field is one thing that could be fixed. This guy is a clown, plain  Maybe if they didn’t get so many second chances they wouldn’t blow the first one. 

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

This is the problem. Knuckleheads like this guy keep getting chances and it almost never works out. Bad play on the field is one thing that could be fixed. This guy is a clown, plain  Maybe if they didn’t get so many second chances they wouldn’t blow the first one. 

I don't have a problem with second chances... the third, fourth, fifth, etc are the ones that are the problems.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't have a problem with second chances... the third, fourth, fifth, etc are the ones that are the problems.

He’s had multiple chances with the same team. These guys are replaceable. Nothing special about them. Why continue to foster this crap? If they knew they were not getting multiple chances a lot of this would stop.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He’s had multiple chances with the same team. These guys are replaceable. Nothing special about them. Why continue to foster this crap? If they knew they were not getting multiple chances a lot of this would stop.  

It's Washington.  :dunno:

But still, the kid was jerked around last year and never got any real time this year.  He might feel that he was never put in a position to succeed and that he really wasn't wanted there.  If you're forced to be in a job working with people who don't like or want you, but you're forced to stay, that's not a healthy environment.  He's probably happy to be done with them and ready to actually go where he could be wanted.  It's not like there were any red flags on him at Ohio State.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's Washington.  :dunno:

But still, the kid was jerked around last year and never got any real time this year.  He might feel that he was never put in a position to succeed and that he really wasn't wanted there.  If you're forced to be in a job working with people who don't like or want you, but you're forced to stay, that's not a healthy environment.  He's probably happy to be done with them and ready to actually go where he could be wanted.  It's not like there were any red flags on him at Ohio State.

Being a QB at Ohio State is a red flag in itself. Think about how long they have been a powerhouse and they still haven’t produced one good NFL QB. 

anyone out there surprised?

Nope

12 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Being a QB at Ohio State is a red flag in itself. Think about how long they have been a powerhouse and they still haven’t produced one good NFL QB. 

Meh, you can say that about a lot of schools.  That's not really all that good of an argument.  None of the QB's weren't drafted that high.  Troy Smith was a 5th Rd pick.  J. T. Barrett was undrafted.  Braxton Miller was a 3rd round pick.  Terrelle Pryor was a supplemental 3rd round pick.  Your "stigma" of an OSU QB being a red flag doesn't really hold up because none of the QB's were thought to be starters in the NFL... only Haskins.  It's not like they were all 1st rounders and busted.

34 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Meh, you can say that about a lot of schools.  That's not really all that good of an argument.  None of the QB's weren't drafted that high.  Troy Smith was a 5th Rd pick.  J. T. Barrett was undrafted.  Braxton Miller was a 3rd round pick.  Terrelle Pryor was a supplemental 3rd round pick.  Your "stigma" of an OSU QB being a red flag doesn't really hold up because none of the QB's were thought to be starters in the NFL... only Haskins.  It's not like they were all 1st rounders and busted.

They were all busts though. The NFL learned not to draft an OSU QB in the 1st but then Haskins put up 50 TDs and that is gonna fool the dumber GMs in the league. When he declared, I said he would be a colossal bust. He had 1 year as the starter. That's a lack of commitment right there. He was not even remotely ready for the NFL. He just wanted the $. No way you survive in the NFL with that lack of experience AND lack of commitment. Akili Smith clone.

Or skinny J-Fat Russell as Booger McFarland rightfully declared.

Haskins was 19 his senior year in high school. Started one year at OSU. So 11-12 games against players he didn’t have an obvious advantage over, and at least half of those games were against middling to bad teams. I’m not saying this is such a unique occurrence , but it’s a factor.  He should have stayed in school. 

8 minutes ago, lod001 said:

They were all busts though. The NFL learned not to draft an OSU QB in the 1st but then Haskins put up 50 TDs and that is gonna fool the dumber GMs in the league. When he declared, I said he would be a colossal bust. He had 1 year as the starter. That's a lack of commitment right there. He was not even remotely ready for the NFL. He just wanted the $. No way you survive in the NFL with that lack of experience AND lack of commitment. Akili Smith clone.

Or skinny J-Fat Russell as Booger McFarland rightfully declared.

When you draft a QB in round 3 or later, you're drafting him to be a backup with the outside hope that he becomes a starter.  That's 100% of every Ohio State QB prior to Haskins.  If they don't pan out, it's not a "bust".  You're making this about Ohio State, well you and HT, but it has nothing to do with them or their history.  ANY QB drafted in the first round can be a stud or a bust, regardless of what school they went to.

How'd the the NFL learning about not drafting Texas Tech QB's in the 1st round (Graham Harrell, Kliff Kingsbury, Seth Doege), work out for Kansas City?

Haskins redshirted his freshman year and sat behind a National Champion QB in his sophomore year... he beat out Joe Burrow for the backup job that year.  That's why Burrow left.  Let's also not pretend that Burrow lit it up in his first year at LSU.

Haskins may not have been ready for the NFL, but that's not his fault.  He didn't force anyone to draft him.  He was told that he would be a first round pick, so he went into the draft... just like anyone else would have.  Washington really jerked him around.  The coach didn't even want him, Snyder did.  Forced the draft pick.  Gruden, with no warning and no reps in practice, declared him the starter on the day before the game in like week 4 or 5 last year.  Yeah, no crap the kid was going to struggle.  Keenum was taking all of the reps with the first team all summer.  All the reps that week!  Then boom, "Haskins is our starter".  Well, he stunk and got benched.  WTF is that?  What coach EVER treated ANY player like that?  When he went back in for the last 7 games, he didn't do all that bad.  Let's not pretend that the Redskins were chock full of talent and weapons.

Is it possible he never plays again?  Certainly, but let's not pretend that Washington ever gave him a real chance to succeed.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Haskins was 19 his senior year in high school. Started one year at OSU. So 11-12 games against players he didn’t have an obvious advantage over, and at least half of those games were against middling to bad teams. I’m not saying this is such a unique occurrence , but it’s a factor.  He should have stayed in school. 

That's a different argument.  One I'd agree with.

Also, you're exaggerating his schedule.  He beat 6 top 25 ranked teams that year.  How many teams/QB's go 6-0 against top 25 teams in a season?  That year (2018), Tua didn't.  He was 5-1.  Lawrence only won 4.  Anyone else?

At this point in History and as long as Ohio State has been a powerhouse, they should have produced one solid, not even great, QB. They haven’t. I’d say in the recent era they are valuing athleticism over skill. It sure looks that way. Urban Myer never got a good one in the NFL from Florida either. After a while the trend becomes evident.

Question for you guys.

Does the Ohio St. background as some of you stated. Along with Haskins situation affect Justin Fields any?

Panthers might want him

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Question for you guys.

Does the Ohio St. background as some of you stated. Along with Haskins situation affect Justin Fields any?

For me it would.  But he does have a much better resume than Haskins. 

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Question for you guys.

No.  Every player should be judged by their own body of work regardless of who came before them.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No.  Every player should be judged by their own body of work regardless of who came before them.

Like you do with Wisconsin RBs?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

Like you do with Wisconsin RBs?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

One is NFL... the other is fantasy football.  They're different, if you didn't know that.  The discussion was also about a ROOKIE being a #1 at his position.  I certainly wouldn't take a rookie QB from any school as my #1 in the first 2 rounds.