Sign in to follow this  
Gratefulegg1973

Bust of the Year

This is always a hard thread, because it's hard to factor injuries.  Should we look at say McCaffrey or Mixon differently than Barkley?  I do.  So without further ado, here are my candidates:

QB:

Lamar Jackson:  He was going in the 1st or 2nd round in drafts, and was extremely average this year

Russel Wilson:  Looked like a league winner to start

Matt Ryan:  I expected a big year from him with Ridley and Julio.  Not so much

RB:

McCaffrey:  Hard to fault a man for being injured.  But multiple injuries over and over again?  Dude was the #1 pick and sunk many a season

Elliott:  Typically went 4th and was literally unplayable the last 6 weeks.  

MIxon:  Here's another 1 round pansy that couldn't stay on the field

WR:

Thomas.  What a piece of garbage.  Had what, one good game?  Suspended for beating up a teammate?  

Golloday:  Missed the 1st two games, played one or two, then was 'day to day' for 12 weeks.  

Chark:  Could easily put guys like Julio on the list, but at least he had good games the few times he was healthy.  Chark was going as a WR2 in some leagues and was unstartable

TE:

Ertz:  lol what the hell happened to this guy?

Engram:  Hate to label him a bust since he was never very good.

Higbee:  People were expecting him to make the leap into the upper tier this year.  Instead he was awful.

Well there you have my suggestions (yes I am this bored).  Unfortunately i had a lot of these bums this year.  My picks for the winners:

Wilson

Elliott

Thomas

Ertz

Some good candidates, but I would definitely say Michael Thomas.

He just simply fell off the proverbial cliff for reasons that can't reasonably be explained.

McCaffrey, yes injuries happen, although the writing was certainly on the wall given his workload in recent years

Zeke, the Cowboys were a complete mess, losing their starting QB and pretty much entire OL, and having a defense so poor that they had to pass all the time.

Lamar Jackson, QBs that mostly rely on their legs for points are wildly inconsistent year to year, this is nothing new.

Ertz, he's the 3rd or 4th TE going into the season, so it's hard to say he's the biggest bust just due to that alone

Wilson, I don't really know how you can call a guy who accounts for 4500 yards and over 40 TDs a big time bust

Chark, he plays for the Jaguars and was never legitimately more than a WR2 to begin with

Golladay, see McCaffrey

Matt Ryan, he had a pretty typical Matt Ryan year. Some good games followed by ones so bad you cut him

Devante Parker disappeared when Tua took over in Miami.

I don’t think people expected Devin Singletary to be a top-10 back, but he was way worse than you’d expect given his ADP.

Zeke in the non-injury category, especially as a consensus top 3 pick. Michael Thomas by a landslide in the injured category. It always seemed like he was coming back the next game, and never did, just hamstringing his owners...

CEH was a bust from the standpoint he went in the first round of a lot of drafts and just did not play near well enough to justify that cost. 

Top 8 in our draft was:

1. McCaffrey

2. Barkley

3. Zeke

4. Henry

5. Kamara

6. CEH

7. Michael Thomas

8. Mixon

I think that anyone of those other than Henry or Kamara is up for debate. In our league, those teams played in the championship 

Drake

CEH

the Zeke

Gurley

Z Moss. 

Once again non ppr. 

Drake had a couple duds but didn’t he finish as a top 12 RB?   Over 1,000 all-purpose yards and 10 TD’s with 1 game to go is not too shabby 

I think I’d put Golladay in the Michael Thomas category just of course he wasn’t drafted as high.  At least other guys could have been put on IR or dropped, this dude was just taking up a roster spot most of the season 

My fockin team. 

Wentz
Bell
Ingram - traded his sorry ass.
Sutton
Big Puss Golladay
Hooper - cut his ass for Tonyan.

19 hours ago, jrokh said:

Zeke in the non-injury category, especially as a consensus top 3 pick. Michael Thomas by a landslide in the injured category. It always seemed like he was coming back the next game, and never did, just hamstringing his owners...

Agreed, Elliot and Thomas

WR's

Marquise Brown: He's picked it up the last 5 weeks (1 td in 4 of the games) but the yardage totals were/are much lower than expected.

Cooper Kupp: Receiving yards of 974 are 'OK' but only 3 receiving touchdowns hurt. *Now he's been placed on the COVID-19 list*

Cards D looking up for anyone who plays in week 17!

8 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Drake had a couple duds but didn’t he finish as a top 12 RB?   Over 1,000 all-purpose yards and 10 TD’s with 1 game to go is not too shabby 

He finished 16th in avg per game non ppr, he was being draft as a low rb1 high rb2.  

And that’s why I listed him.  

Thanks. 

Te. 

Hurst 

Fant 

Engram. 

Wr

Godwin

Juju

Chark

Lockett, I know his avg is pretty good pr game non ppr, but he had four good games worthy of a wr2, after those four he was awfull. 

Non ppr. 

8 hours ago, lod001 said:

My fockin team. 

Wentz
Bell
Ingram - traded his sorry ass.
Sutton
Big Puss Golladay
Hooper - cut his ass for Tonyan.

You didn’t draft Bell as a rb1 and then draft Ingram as a Rb2? 

7 minutes ago, weepaws said:

He finished 16th in avg per game non ppr, he was being draft as a low rb1 high rb2.  

Thanks. 

Maybe so, but there's something to availability too. He was 11th amongst RBs in total scoring in standard leagues. Yes I'd rather have a Nick Chubb with roughly the same total points in fewer games, but I'd rather have had Drake than Carson who had slightly more average points but a lot fewer games.

1 minute ago, t.j said:

Maybe so, but there's something to availability too. He was 11th amongst RBs in total scoring in standard leagues. Yes I'd rather have a Nick Chubb with roughly the same total points in more games, but I'd rather have had Drake than Carson who had slightly more average points but a lot fewer games.

Lol of course, Carson missed more games , but Carson was more productive when he did play. N

One can’t count on injuries happening, they can happen to any player any season, I rank based on production, Carson was more productive when he played , now I would rather have all the most productive players , and have them play all 16 games, doesn’t always happen. 

I mean I can’t list let’s say Mccaffery on this list, he wasn’t a bust, he was a player that was injured, but those three games he did avg 23 points per game.  I list players that played in at least half the games. 

So 16 in avg non ppr, is still 16 in avg non ppr, no matter how one wants to see it.  

Thanks. 

Just now, weepaws said:

Lol of course, Carson missed more games , but Carson was more productive when he did play.

Not by much more productive when he played though, which was my point.

6 minutes ago, t.j said:

Not by much more productive when he played though, which was my point.

I guess if you don’t see 2 more points per game avg much of a difference, that’s ok with me, I see it has two more points per game. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

I guess if you don’t see 2 more points per game avg much of a difference, that’s ok with me, I see it has two more points per game. 

I'm seeing it as 12.95 in 11 games vs 11.65 in 14 games. So that's only a difference of 1.3 ppg, with 3 fewer games played. Personally I'll take Drake with those numbers but I'll concede that it's debatable.

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

Thanks. 

How many games needed to be played to get in the ranking?

Even still, would the 4th best RB2 not qualify as a “high RB2”?

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

How many games needed to be played to get in the ranking?

Even still, would the 4th best RB2 not qualify as a “high RB2”?

I think that’s up to the person drafting him.  How many games needed to be played , for me I rank players on these end of season list that play no less then half of their teams games , just me.  I can’t rank a player that played 3 games like Mccaffery and call him a bust. 

He was being drafted has a low rb1-high rb2, I can’t help it if you don’t like that. 

I think he fell short of that at number 16  

Thanks  

I think that’s up to the person drafting him.  How many games needed to be played , for me I rank players on these end of season list that play no less then half of their teams games , just me.  I can’t rank a player that played 3 games like Mccaffery and call him a bust. 

He was being drafted has a low rb1-high rb2, I can’t help it if you don’t like that. 

I think he fell short of that at number 16  

Thanks  

Fair enough, just curious where the line was for games played.  I saw you say 8 games earlier, wasn't sure if that was the same thing.    Obviously it's up to each person but for me personally, I'd probably rather have had Drake over someone that might've had a slightly better average but only played like 8-11 games.   Maybe that guy was a little better when he played, but unless you had good backups, you were likely giving up more than that (plus taking up a roster spot if they weren't on IR) for the games they didn't play.

Drake didn't necessarily live up to expectations, but even by your own standards he really only finished maybe a couple spots below where he was drafted.   I'm not sure that qualifies as in the running for "bust of the year" IMO.

I would rather have Drake over someone playing less games, he would produce more ff points for my team. But I don’t know who’s going to miss games. 

But once again he didn’t produce rb1 points either.  

16 hours ago, weepaws said:

You didn’t draft Bell as a rb1 and then draft Ingram as a Rb2? 

Dynasty.

11 hours ago, weepaws said:

I would rather have Drake over someone playing less games, he would produce more ff points for my team. But I don’t know who’s going to miss games. 

But once again he didn’t produce rb1 points either.  

What was his rank in total points in your league?  If you’re comparing to where they were drafted I think that is the more accurate ranking.

According to FFtoday’s ADP for 12 team non-PPR, he was the #12 RB in terms of ADP—technically an RB1, but barely.  I think he finished within a couple spots of that in terms of total points.

I think it speaks more to the volatility at RB than anything.  Even though Drake’s numbers weren’t necessarily great, they weren’t far off from where he was drafted.

Top 12 RB’s in my PPR league by total points and where their ADP was (12-team PPR)

1.  Kamara - 1.06

2.  Cook - 1.06

3.  Henry - 1.07

4.  James Robinson - undrafted

5.  Aaron Jones - 2.05

6.  David Montgomery - 5.10

7. Jonathan Taylor - 3.06 (this one is kinda amazing too since he might’ve even got dropped in some leagues in the middle of the season)

8.  Kareem Hunt - 5.03

9.  Josh Jacobs - 1.09

10.  Elliot - 1.03

11.  Mike Davis - undrafted

12.  Antonio Gibson - 6.02

So you were just as likely to find a top 12 RB in the 5th round or later as you were to find one in the 1st round.

25 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

What was his rank in total points in your league?  If you’re comparing to where they were drafted I think that is the more accurate ranking.

According to FFtoday’s ADP for 12 team non-PPR, he was the #12 RB in terms of ADP—technically an RB1, but barely.  I think he finished within a couple spots of that in terms of total points.

I didn’t say anything about total points, I said his avg in non ppr.  And his avg ranks him 16th, he was a rb1 on most draft sits.  

Drake is one of five Rbs I listed. 

I think the biggest bust based on opportunity and the team he plays on, would be CEH. 

But I’m comfortable with all five of them as candidates on my list.  

Thanks. 

I didn’t say anything about total points, I said his avg in non ppr.  And his avg ranks him 16th, he was a rb1 on most draft sits.  

I know, I just think using an average so that guys who played in 4+ less games than him are higher isn’t really fair.

But to each his own

Not that he was a top pick, but I felt great having Devante Parker as my WR3 after Hopkins and Diggs. It appears he has a lot of dog in him. Going to Tua didn’t help either. 

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I know, I just think using an average so that guys who played in 4+ less games than him are higher isn’t really fair.

But to each his own

I think using avg shows true game by game production. Now I see your point, they scored less ff points, and of course they did, cause they played less games, but I’ve also used avg for my own rankings, I find avg per game to be more in line of ones weekly production, can’t even come close to predict injuries. 

Its how I rank my players, as you say each their own.  

48 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Not that he was a top pick, but I felt great having Devante Parker as my WR3 after Hopkins and Diggs. It appears he has a lot of dog in him. Going to Tua didn’t help either. 

Going to Tua was a killer to Parker. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 5:55 PM, weepaws said:

Going to Tua was a killer to Parker. 

Their coach should be fired. The Miami defense was actually good this year, and if they let Fitz play they might have gotten into the playoffs. Reminds me of when the Bills had Doug Flutie and JP Losman and the coaches kept trying to bench Flutie if he even had one bad pass because they were convinced Losman was the “answer” at QB.

2 hours ago, dogcows said:

Their coach should be fired. The Miami defense was actually good this year, and if they let Fitz play they might have gotten into the playoffs. Reminds me of when the Bills had Doug Flutie and JP Losman and the coaches kept trying to bench Flutie if he even had one bad pass because they were convinced Losman was the “answer” at QB.

Agreed. 

I could understand if their team was awfull making that move, but that move was a mistake. 

On 12/28/2020 at 8:38 PM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Top 8 in our draft was:

1. McCaffrey

2. Barkley

3. Zeke

4. Henry

5. Kamara

6. CEH

7. Michael Thomas

8. Mixon

I think that anyone of those other than Henry or Kamara is up for debate. In our league, those teams played in the championship 

I got Henry at #8 and I played championship game against the guy with Kamara, and I got smoked-BIG time!

My personal “bust” was Thielen. Every time I played him it’d be one of those 3 target days when it was a good matchup, when I didn’t play him he’d get a TD and more, while Jefferson would have a great day. When I finally benched Thielen for good I won my last 3 and made it to title game.

Me. I cut Jefferson after week 2. Opponent rode him and took my money. 

5 hours ago, huskyhater75 said:

My personal “bust” was Thielen. Every time I played him it’d be one of those 3 target days when it was a good matchup, when I didn’t play him he’d get a TD and more, while Jefferson would have a great day. When I finally benched Thielen for good I won my last 3 and made it to title game.

So you're advertising the fantasy smarts to start a top 10 fantasy WR only four times during the season--those four weeks in which he didn't score--and you're blaming Thielen?

lol