Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Biggest personal event of 2020

Allrughty guys, it's been a hell of a year. Memorable to be sure. What's happened in your life this past year, good or bad, that will most stand out in your memory in the years and decades to come?

I’ve been lucky and this has been a pretty uneventful year, minus the covid stuff. So for me, it’s been 2 things: The day Kobe died, because I live in LA, it was a big deal here and by the grace of god, we decided to not hike the Millennium loop that day. We would have come across the crash site. I can’t even imagine how awful that would have been.

The second was the day everything got canceled. It was a real "oh sh!t!" moment. 

• Haha 1

Getting the school documentation from the government all legalized was a good thing.

My daughter attending a boarding school downtown really sucks. This is the first I've told you guys about it, but since September, my daughter has been living at a school downtown during the week. She's only in grade seven. I utterly despise the situation. She's doing well there though, excelling. I'm inclined to homeschool my son when he's done with grade six since the Chinese system chews him up and spits him out. I'd like to do the same with my daughter to be honest...

Got a promotion in August, a yooge boner and paybump. 

2 hours ago, edjr said:

Got a promotion in August, a yooge boner and paybump. 

Congrats!!!

• Thanks 1

When I saw this last night I still did not know the answer.  Sales have been way up this year which was good.  But a few months ago during my physical they noticed my PSA slightly elevated and Free PSA at 9% which at my age meant I had a 56% chance of having prostate cancer.  Had a biopsy two weeks ago and my follow-up was today but the Dr. called me this morning and said not to bother coming in because all was good.  That was a big relief.    So for me 2020 ended on a high note but I know a lot of people that had a shitty year either losing a job or a family member to COVID.  I feel for them and everyone here that had bad news on the health front this year.  Hope for a better 2021 for everyone.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I know, for you, it's clearly the return of the McRib.

Not sure if you recall that I am a ginormous fan of the McRib, but regardless, well played.  👏 :D 

I might say avoiding COVID....

3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Dievorce

Was there any infidelity or anything or you guys just drifted apart?

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

Was there any infidelity or anything or you guys just drifted apart?

You know, it’s hard to pinpoint other than the fact she was a selfish focking b1tch :lol:

But seriously, I think we were not quite well enough suited and then when we had kids that all just came to a head. Neither one of us handled it super well but she never got past it 

1 hour ago, Bill E. said:

When I saw this last night I still did not know the answer.  Sales have been way up this year which was good.  But a few months ago during my physical they noticed my PSA slightly elevated and Free PSA at 9% which at my age meant I had a 56% chance of having prostate cancer.  Had a biopsy two weeks ago and my follow-up was today but the Dr. called me this morning and said not to bother coming in because all was good.  That was a big relief.    So for me 2020 ended on a high note but I know a lot of people that had a shitty year either losing a job or a family member to COVID.  I feel for them and everyone here that had bad news on the health front this year.  Hope for a better 2021 for everyone.

:pointstosky:   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

You know, it’s hard to pinpoint other than the fact she was a selfish focking b1tch :lol:

But seriously, I think we were not quite well enough suited and then when we had kids that all just came to a head. Neither one of us handled it super well but she never got past it 

That sucks, hope it turns out well for all of you, I hear divorce is expensive too....sigh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Sorry to hear and hope your kids are doing well and you and the ex can keep it amicable for their sake and your own mental health. :cheers: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I went through it ten years ago.  Nothing dramatic we just drifted apart.  It was the best move for both of us. I hope and believe you will feel the same at some point.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Awesome news!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Sorry to hear.  I’ve had two relationships where we slowly drifted apart; like a frog boiling you don’t really realize it until one day you think “wow, I think we might be done.”  This was 30+ years ago and we ended amicably; in fact I’m FB friends with both.  Hell, one was a bridesmaid in our wedding, we ended on such a friendly note (she was also a friend of my wife).  :dunno: 

I was laid off in May and have not been able to pick up a job in my field since. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

I went through it ten years ago.  Nothing dramatic we just drifted apart.  It was the best move for both of us. I hope and believe you will feel the same at some point.  Good luck.

I do feel that already. It’s fine, honestly the best move for both of us. It was her call but I’m not mad about it, she just had the stones to confront the inevitable. Kids are doing well and I have them half the time :cheers:

• Like 1

Covid finally convinced my wife to abandon a dream of retiring off Savanah (sorry Bill). And we bought a second home closer to home, which really makes 1 million times more sense and she's happy.  That's her event which is big for me also.

My event is the same as last year's.  Getting closer to where I want to be spiritually.

• Like 1

That great news.

Mine would be my son getting to have his senior year basketball and hopefully track season. Would have been a bummer if he missed out on both in his last year of high school. He was also accepted to IU and will be taking a premed biology path next fall with the hopes of getting into IU medical school and becoming a surgeon. There is an IU medical school campus in our home town. Smart kid, solid athlete, great grades, future is bright.

Professionally, wasn't a great year, a lot of good people lost their jobs at my company. Some of it was long overdue but, was still rough watching people go through it. All promotions were put on hold and there were no yearly salary raises, despite all of us being busier than we've never been in the Healthcare field. 

Losing $4000 on stocks and crypto. What do I win?

Covid has significantly impacted the nature and intensity of my work.

Grateful to to have a job. Very difficult to see what this is doing to my clients and the industry.

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Covid has significantly impacted the nature and intensity of my work.

Grateful to to have a job. Very difficult to see what this is doing to my clients and the industry.

Everyone here knows of your background as a chef, but exactly what do you do within the industry? 

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Everyone here knows of your background as a chef, but exactly what do you do within the industry? 

For the past few years I have been consulting for food service organizations (restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, schools, etc).  

Pre-covid: i was doing more menu analysis, p&l, marketing, operational efficiencies, etc

Covid: much less focus on food this year... managing staffing, sanitation/hygiene, alternative revenue sources, provide other functional resources (qr menus, to go/curbside tools, online ordering pos, etc)

For me it was reading the Bible through in one year(started Jan 1st 2020 and finished today) and I'd also add I quit smoking cigs Nov 12th so hoping that's a great personal achievement down the road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

I was laid off in May and have not been able to pick up a job in my field since. 

That’s a bummer. Are there other fields you could explore? Or perhaps a geographical change?