Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Coaching Changes

Teams making head coaching changes in preparation for 2021...

Houston
OUT - Bill O'Brien
IN - David Culley

Atlanta
OUT - Dan Quinn
IN - Arthur Smith

Detroit
OUT - Matt Patricia
IN - Dan Campbell

NY Jets
OUT - Adam Gase
IN - Robert Saleh

Jacksonville
OUT - Doug Marrone
IN - Urban Meyer

LA Chargers
OUT - Anthony Lynn
IN - Brandon Staley

Philadelphia
OUT - Doug Pederson
IN - Nick Sirianni

Edited by Mike FF Today

Doug Pederson and Byron Leftwich (OC), should be on "Out" lists as well, but I don't think either will.

Think Atlanta sticks with Morris?  I hope so.  He's not a good coach.

49 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Doug Pederson and Byron Leftwich (OC), should be on "Out" lists as well, but I don't think either will.

Pederson should be banned from the NFL, after Sunday Night's unsportsmanlike performance.

25 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Pederson should be banned from the NFL, after Sunday Night's unsportsmanlike performance.

Meh, it's not like the Eagles and Hurts were doing all that good in the first 3 quarters.  Hurts had 72 passing yards in the first 3 quarters.  THAT's what people are angry about?  Nah.  Just butthurt feelings.  If you're 6-10, you don't DESERVE anything, let alone a playoff spot.

Hurts was 7-20 for 72 yards and an Int.  Yeah, that's worth getting your panties in a bunch over.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Meh, it's not like the Eagles and Hurts were doing all that good in the first 3 quarters.  Hurts had 72 passing yards in the first 3 quarters.  THAT's what people are angry about?  Nah.  Just butthurt feelings.  If you're 6-10, you don't DESERVE anything, let alone a playoff spot.

Hurts was 7-20 for 72 yards and an Int.  Yeah, that's worth getting your panties in a bunch over.

Imagine if Hurts put up that line in week 16, there would have been a lot of angry FF Todayers 

12 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Josh McDaniel getting no play. He blew it. 

I really think the Colts debacle sealed his fate.

As far as coordinators go. I'd guess the Chiefs, Bills, Titans O coordinators, and the 49ers D coordinator get head coaching gigs.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:20 AM, Mike FF Today said:

Teams making head coaching changes in preparation for 2021...

Houston
OUT - Bill O'Brien
IN -

Atlanta
OUT - Dan Quinn
IN -

Detroit
OUT - Matt Patricia
IN -

NY Jets
OUT - Adam Gase
IN -

Jacksonville
OUT - Doug Marrone
IN - 

LA Chargers
OUT - Anthony Lynn
IN -

Pederson = OUT

Good move for the Eagles.  

If im Wentz Im still looking at joining the Colts and F Reich.  

Hopefully the Eagles pick a coach that truely believes in Hurts, and isn't just looking for a job.

You get a guy that believes in Hurts, and wants to build the team like they did in Baltimore. You might have something right off the bat. (Gotta draft a true #1 wr also). Get rid of Wentz, and Ertz. Fix your cap, and get extra picks. I'd imagine you only got 2020 as a lost rebuild year. Good to go starting year 2. 2021.

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Hopefully the Eagles pick a coach that truely believes in Hurts, and isn't just looking for a job.

You get a guy that believes in Hurts, and wants to build the team like they did in Baltimore. You might have something right off the bat. (Gotta draft a true #1 wr also). Get rid of Wentz, and Ertz. Fix your cap, and get extra picks. I'd imagine you only got 2020 as a lost rebuild year. Good to go starting year 2. 2021.

did you not celebrate new year's?

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

What if they interview a guy who loves Wentz and thinks he can win with him?  You just say no thanks and move on?  Sounds like a recipe for failure if you ask me.  I think Arthur Blank said it best.  You hire the guy that you believe has a good plan and you don't handcuff him.  If you're forcing Hurts (or Wentz), on any coach, you're limiting his potential.  The team screwed up with drafting Hurts... don't compound that by forcing Hurts on the next guy

2 hours ago, Kopy said:

Yeah, that doesn't sound like what the eagles do...

So, looks like owner Laurie went with Wentz and dumped Pederson. Certainly a boost to Wentz's ego but it's still gonna be on him to play really well. He did play well before he got hurt and they went on to win the SB with Foles. So, it's gonna be interesting to see who gets the head coaching job and will he be able to turn Wentz around. 

41 minutes ago, DocNiner said:

So, looks like owner Laurie went with Wentz and dumped Pederson. Certainly a boost to Wentz's ego but it's still gonna be on him to play really well. He did play well before he got hurt and they went on to win the SB with Foles. So, it's gonna be interesting to see who gets the head coaching job and will he be able to turn Wentz around. 

From a contract standpoint, they have to stick with Wentz.  There's no way you can move on from him this season without causing their cap situation from going down the tubes.  The best thing to do is to hire the new coach with the understanding that he'll have the final say on who is QB is... after the 2021 season.  They'll still take a cap hit, but not as much as this year.  Give the new guy a chance to see what these guys (Wentz & Hurts), can do, and go forward.

The Eagles also have to get rid of the bad apples like Alshon Jeffrey.  If you keep guys like him around, who drove a wedge in the locker room, 2021 will be the same as 2020.  Now, if you're trying to stock up on top 7 draft picks, that is the right course of action.

3 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Oh boy, I’m not sold on this hire.  

20 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

This hire I do like.  

Good job Jets.  

38 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

The 49ers passing game coordinator?

That doesn't exactly sounds like a something to put on the resume

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the head coach...  MAYBE he has the tools to improve a bottom-10 defense, but if he patterns the offense after what he knows with the 49ers (and the hiring of the 49ers passing game coordinator is a sure step in that direction), he may end up being a downgrade for the team overall...?

The Jets seem to feel that Darnold is good enough to build around; they needed to hire a coach who could develop him--not turn him into a "game manager."

10 hours ago, polecatt said:

7 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the head coach...  MAYBE he has the tools to improve a bottom-10 defense, but if he patterns the offense after what he knows with the 49ers (and the hiring of the 49ers passing game coordinator is a sure step in that direction), he may end up being a downgrade for the team overall...?

The Jets seem to feel that Darnold is good enough to build around; they needed to hire a coach who could develop him--not turn him into a "game manager."

To take someone from another team, the job has to be a promotion.  If you want to hire an OC, then it has to be an assistant.  Teams have multiple assistants for each coach, so giving them specific titles is an easy way to differentiate them for their organizational chart.  I don't know if every team has a "Passing Game Coordinator" or if it's just a name that the 49ers came up with, but he's just an assistant coach.  He probably was the highest ranked offensive assistant and probably had input on the game plan.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

To take someone from another team, the job has to be a promotion.  If you want to hire an OC, then it has to be an assistant.  Teams have multiple assistants for each coach, so giving them specific titles is an easy way to differentiate them for their organizational chart.  I don't know if every team has a "Passing Game Coordinator" or if it's just a name that the 49ers came up with, but he's just an assistant coach.  He probably was the highest ranked offensive assistant and probably had input on the game plan.

Well, the name of the position he had with the 49ers isn't really relevant. It's the fact that he was a coach for a team that hasn't exactly been known for their offensive prowess in recent memory. Maybe it works out, but still that aspect doesn't look so good.

12 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I would say the Jets should draft Penei Sewell at LT and give it another go with Darnold. I don't much think he's gonna be Patrick Mahomes but if given some talent around him, especially a good OL, then I think he can be more than a game manager. In any case, even if Darnold is a complete bust, you still have a supposed generational talent at LT, which is something that every team needs regardless of anything else.

1 minute ago, polecatt said:

Well, the name of the position he had with the 49ers isn't really relevant. It's the fact that he was a coach for a team that hasn't exactly been known for their offensive prowess in recent memory. Maybe it works out, but still that aspect doesn't look so good.

I don't know about that.  Considering the number of games they had to play with a 2nd or 3rd string QB and limited talent at the RB & WR positions, I'd say that they were quite impressive.  In 2019 when Garoppolo played all 16 games, the 49ers ranked pretty high in passing if memory serves.

3 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I would say the Jets should draft Penei Sewell at LT and give it another go with Darnold. I don't much think he's gonna be Patrick Mahomes but if given some talent around him, especially a good OL, then I think he can be more than a game manager. In any case, even if Darnold is a complete bust, you still have a supposed generational talent at LT, which is something that every team needs regardless of anything else.

Agree completely.

5 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know about that.  Considering the number of games they had to play with a 2nd or 3rd string QB and limited talent at the RB & WR positions, I'd say that they were quite impressive.  In 2019 when Garoppolo played all 16 games, the 49ers ranked pretty high in passing if memory serves.

They were kind of middle of the road in 2019, decent efficiency, but nothing spectacular. That was with a top notch running game and defense to fall back on.

They will have neither with the Jets. They will likely have to rely on the passing game a good bit more.

That's why I say it's a bit of a question mark. He did a decent job with a conservative/game manager passing game. With a team that will have to pass more, it's kind of risky.

Sorry but I know the jets have said how they think Darnold is good enough to build around n

I think with a new coach that feeling changes.  

He’s not. 

Very good move by the Falcons, and a tough one for the Titans. 

4 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Well, now we know where Najee Harris is going.  He can't coach without a workhorse Alabama RB to build around.

Well, as a lifelong 9ers fan I hate to see us lose Saleh but I think he's earned a shot as a head coach. He will definitely improve the Jets defense but not sure how it'll go on offense for him. Yes, he's bringing an offensive coach with him but doesn't seem to me he has a whole lot of talent on the team to work with.                                     I think Darnold could still be their QB of the future but if they don't get him some good offensive talent his career could be doomed in NY. They have the 2nd & 23rd pick in the first round so they better not miss on those picks or they'll continue to struggle.

I don't get the Dan Campbell hire by Detroit.  He's never been a coordinator, as far as I know?  Detroit continues its path to not being relevant..

Oops - forgot he was an interim HC for Miami, and went 5-7.  🙃

On 1/15/2021 at 11:16 PM, AxeElf said:

Well, now we know where Najee Harris is going.  He can't coach without a workhorse Alabama RB to build around.

He'll need a QB too.  At least one that is as good as Tannehill.  Atlanta doesn't have that right now.

Maybe, but Tannehill might fall back some. his coach will now be helping Ryan.  Mmmm. 

Ryan 65% completion rate on 626 pass att and he avg 22 ff points per game. 

Tannehill 65% on 481 pass att, and he avg 24 ff points per.  

Game. 

Ryan would be helped like Tannehill is with a run game.  

58 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Maybe, but Tannehill might fall back some. his coach will now be helping Ryan.  Mmmm. 

Ryan 65% completion rate on 626 pass att and he avg 22 ff points per game. 

Tannehill 65% on 481 pass att, and he avg 24 ff points per.  

Game. 

Ryan would be helped like Tannehill is with a run game.  

I'm just taking a stab at a divisional opponent.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He'll need a QB too.  At least one that is as good as Tannehill.  Atlanta doesn't have that right now.

lol