Sign in to follow this  
phins1921

Do any of you play in a league where the team with the highest points scored makes the playoffs?

I am commissioner of the league now for the past 26 years and we are considering putting in the team with the highest scored points as the last team to get in no matter his record. Do any of you have that in your leagues already? Also do you agree with it by not putting in the best six teams record wise in the playoffs?

In the 14 team non ppr league I’m in, only four teams make the head to head playoffs, but we also do payouts for high points. 

But no I don’t think then high scorer in a head to head league should automatically make it. 

4 minutes ago, phins1921 said:

I am commissioner of the league now for the past 26 years and we are considering putting in the team with the highest scored points as the last team to get in no matter his record. Do any of you have that in your leagues already? Also do you agree with it by not putting in the best six teams record wise in the playoffs?

My keeper league does... because of a couple of cry babies.  The top 6 W/L's get a playoff spot... unless the highest scoring team is not one of them.  If that's the case, the top 5 records get in and the highest point scorer gets the #6 seed.  It's never proved to be a worthwhile rule.  In the last 14 seasons, the highest scoring team in our league missed the playoffs 4 times.  All 4 times they got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs as the lowest scoring team of the week.  This year, we were supposed to vote on it to take it out.  We left as many things in place as possible for this year, but next year it will come to a vote and I believe it will be removed from our by-laws.

Here's my take on fantasy league structures.  If you're going to play head-to-head to determine playoffs, points scored is irrelevant.  Why all of a sudden make points the key factor when it never was during the year?  If you're playing in a points league, why would you have head-to-head matchups?  All that does is make points less relevant.  If you want points and wins to be equal, then you should play in a system that does it.  I remember participating in leagues where they had a Victory Point system.  The top 4 scoring teams that week got 2 points, the middle 4 teams got 1 point, and the lowest 4 teams got 0.  If you won your matchup, you got 2 points, if you tied (which did happen more often than I expected - no decimal scoring), you get 1 point, and if you lose you get 0.  The most you can get is 4 points in a week.  The playoffs were the 3 division winners, ranked by Victory Points and the next 3 highest Victory Point teams.

• Like 1

RTSports uses an interesting system for their High Stakes leagues--three division winners and the next-highest scoring team that is not a division winner.

However, their system has a fatal flaw, which led to one year in which I finished the season tied for the best record in the league, with more total points than the team I was tied with---but because of the fatal flaw in their system, I not only failed to get the #1 seed, I missed the playoffs entirely!

The fatal flaw is that they don't go by total points for the division tiebreaker; they go by division record.  So the team I was tied with and outscored axually had a better division record than I did--so he won the division.  And then there was another non-division winner in another division that had more total points than I did, so that team was the wildcard, and I was sitting out the playoffs with what would have been the #1 seed in any league with a traditional playoff system.

My main league has the top 4 seeds based on record and the remaining 2 seeds based on next highest point totals.  It helps prevent good teams with bad random opponent timing from getting cut out of the playoffs. There can still be a few crappy teams with good schedule luck making the playoffs but overall it’s a good balance between the record and points based approaches. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, uwmalcolm said:

My main league has the top 4 seeds based on record and the remaining 2 seeds based on next highest point totals.  It helps prevent good teams with bad random opponent timing from getting cut out of the playoffs. There can still be a few crappy teams with good schedule luck making the playoffs but overall it’s a good balance between the record and points based approaches. 

Thats what happened this year. TwM made playoffs at 8 and 5 and was 10 scoring team in 12th team league. Two other teams at 6 and 7 had # 3 and 6 ranked points in league.  It was bs imo.