Sign in to follow this  
t.j

Trade Carr or Trade Mariota?

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

All of that came when Mahomes was getting paid $5M.  When he gets paid $40M, more than just Kelce or Hill will be affected.  It'll also be his offensive line.

You still seem to be missing my point.  I'm saying Kelce and Hill (and maybe a couple of other A-list guys) WON'T be affected.  Intentionally.  They can pay Mahomes and any other four or five guys record-setting contracts, and it doesn't matter who's on the defense or the offensive line.  They don't have to be A-list guys.  They can be journeymen playing for the league minimum and it won't matter--Mahomes is just that good.  He doesn't need protection, like Brady does, he makes his own throwing lanes.  When the team needs that 1 hard yard in a cloud of dust, they throw a screen pass.  And as long as the Defense creates a turnover or two and forces a punt a couple of times a game, Mahomes is going to outscore opponents on the reg.

You also need to understand that part of that defensive ranking was because the Chiefs were putting up a lot of points and teams were playing catchup a lot.  The Chiefs were giving up yards and points in lieu of time coming off the clock.  It wasn't really because their defense was bad.

Some part of it, but yes, it really was that their defense was bad, too.  In 2018, Mahomes really was just outscoring everyone, because the defense couldn't stop anyone.  Yes, there was some opponent garbage time in there, but teams moved up and down the field on the Chiefs in the first three quarters, too.  (They ranked 24th in points allowed in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and 29th in points allowed in the 4th quarter.)

As I said above, that you chose to ignore...

lol  I didn't realize I was required to respond to every irrelevancy.  Why is it irrelevant?  See below...

"I can tell you this, if Tampa wins the Super Bowl, I'd look back at 2000 - 2020 as being more successful than the Saints during that time frame."  From 2001 to 2020, the Saints have had 2 QB.  In that time frame, they're 1-3 in Conf Champ games and 1-0 in the Super Bowl.  From 2001 to 2020, the Bucs have had 10 QB's, be AT WORST 1-1 in Conf Champ games, and 1-0 in the Super Bowl. If they win this year, they'll have been 2-0 in Conf Champ games and 2-0 in the Super Bowl.  I ask you, who had the better 20 years?

You can ask me, but I don't care.  I'm highlighting the fact that Mahomes should be treated as a special case, the QB who IS worth the money, even if it cripples the rest of the team.  For the purposes of this point, I could care less about a couple of scrubs who have been playing football for like 47 years between them, but have never hosted the AFC Championship Game three years in a row.  (Mahomes has done that in his FIRST THREE  YEARS as a starter.)

You're still trying to make the general argument against overpaying good QBs.  I'm establishing Mahomes as a special case.

What happens when the defense actually isn't good and Mahomes has to generate his offense by playing from behind because his defense can't stop anyone?

We don't even have to engage in the Whataboutism fallacy to know what happens, because that was the case in 2018.

(The Chiefs would have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl that year, if Dee Ford could line up on his side of the football.)

Anyway, like I said, this is all opinion.  You are of the opinion that overpaying any QB will inevitably hurt a team's chances for success.  I am of the opinion that Mahomes (and possibly a handful of others) is the exception to that rule, because he doesn't need as much help from his O-line and defense as mortal QBs do.  And if it's coming down to opinions, why don't you tell me again how Ronald Jones is going to average 20 carries a game in 2020?  (And that was an opinion about your own team, now you want to sell me your opinions about mine?)

Stay in your lane...

O-line will be important.  Best thing the chiefs have going for them is they seem to be drafting well and veteran players will want to play here at reduced rate to get that ring.  New England has not started well, their roster proves that.  And it still really didn't matter because of Brady

On 1/18/2021 at 7:36 PM, cmh6476 said:

Best thing the chiefs have going for them is they seem to be drafting well and veteran players will want to play here at reduced rate to get that ring.

Ding ding ding. You don't get that with a Derek Carr at QB, with a mediocre QB you only get free agents who couldn't get more money elsewhere. The Raiders have done everything they can to build that offense and they barely have a top 10 offense to show for it. That's not enough to overcome the defensive liabilities incurred by building the team that way.