Sign in to follow this  
fricker66

Non-political thread #4C - Social media Influencers

My kids are always talking about various influencers.  Who is your favorite influencer and why?  TIA.

The only time I hear about "influencers" is when they eventually commit suicide or OD before they hit 25.  :dunno:

The only one I really know is Jake Paul but he’s more of a YouTuber isn’t he? Or are they one in the same? 

• Like 1

See...this is the problem with the new Geek Club.   500 political threads, and someone tries to start a new non-political topic, and it is met with scorn and hatred.   

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

The only one I really know is Jake Paul but he’s more of a YouTuber isn’t he? Or are they one in the same? 

Thank you for the serious reply.

Just now, fricker66 said:

See...this is the problem with the new Geek Club.   500 political threads, and someone tries to start a new non-political topic, and it is met with scorn and hatred.   

Hey douche nozzle.....Moms have been called out since this place was founded.  

Just now, fricker66 said:

I’m not really hating on it. I just honestly don’t know any lol. Not too fond of social media influencers cause they are the definition of entitled and not only want free stuff, but also for you to pay them as well 

4 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I’m not really hating on it. I just honestly don’t know any lol. Not too fond of social media influencers cause they are the definition of entitled and not only want free stuff, but also for you to pay them as well 

I don't fully understand why social media influencers exist and how they become successful.  I figured that if I studied this independently with some input from members here, I could have some intelligent conversations with my kids about various social media influencers.  

6 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Hey douche nozzle.....Moms have been called out since this place was founded.  

Thanks for your insight.

4 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

It's not the thread that's being met with scorn and hatred.  

Also, Gary Vaynerchuk is sort of an influencer.  I follow him because of his involvement in the trading card biz.  I don't actually like him, and I even caught him in a lie during a twitter convo last year.  Anyway, that's all I got.  

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

It's not the thread that's being met with scorn and hatred.  

Also, Gary Vaynerchuk is sort of an influencer.  I follow him because of his involvement in the trading card biz.  I don't actually like him, and I even caught him in a lie during a twitter convo last year.  Anyway, that's all I got.  

So, the scorn and hatred is reserved for anyone who decides to post a thread of substance.  Got it.  

I don't know of this Gary Vaynerchuk.  I will google him.  Thank you.  

13 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

My response was 100% truthful.  I honestly don't know the names of any "influencers".  The only time I hear their name is when the headline states something akin to:

Social media influencer <insert name I never heard of> dead at <insert young age> from apparent <suicide/overdose>

Edit: now get off my lawn!!!! 

I love Good Mythical Morning, so, Rhett and Link.  Older seasons were better and more organic but they are funny and clean.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Most of the social media people I know are people who fish. 

Untrue!

17 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

Little bit of an overreaction, I mean your mom is standard GC banter and 3rd and 4th posts are simply saying they don't really know influencers. Dont see any scorn or hate 

6 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I love Good Mythical Morning, so, Rhett and Link.  Older seasons were better and more organic but they are funny and clean.

That is a great show.

Just now, Meglamaniac said:

Little bit of an overreaction, I mean your mom is standard GC banter and 3rd and 4th posts are simply saying they don't really know influencers. Dont see any scorn or hate 

Social media influencer Fricker66's Mom dead at 69 from apparent jizz overdose 

38 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I don't fully understand why social media influencers exist and how they become successful.  I figured that if I studied this independently with some input from members here, I could have some intelligent conversations with my kids about various social media influencers.  

They exist to push products from companies. Staying at a resort for free and promoting it is one example 

dafug is an influencer??? sounds pretty gay.

i don't get it. would people honestly be upset if any of these platforms ceased to exist tomorrow??? my life would go on without any change in the least. i have an account on most of them. just to see stuff people send me and i like reading some fishing and boating crap on there but could really careless!!

maybe this is the focking problem!!

• Thanks 1

I don't know of any specifically, but the ones that crack me up are the middle aged housewives that are posting "cute" videos and crap of things their kids say and do, etc. SOOOOOOO annoying. And these women have got to lay off of the focking fillers and Botox. 

Now, if your dog wants to be an influencer, I might check that out. 

I won't know of any.  Anytime I hear someone say "so and so is a social media influencer", said social media influencer instantly has 0 credibility so I don't care about their opinion (which probably isn't theirs... it's the person who's paying them the most money).

2 hours ago, porkbutt said:

dafug is an influencer??? sounds pretty gay.

i don't get it. would people honestly be upset if any of these platforms ceased to exist tomorrow??? my life would go on without any change in the least. i have an account on most of them. just to see stuff people send me and i like reading some fishing and boating crap on there but could really careless!!

maybe this is the focking problem!!

You are a social media influencer.  Id say message board are the modern equivalent of HAM radio chat.  Streamers are the modern equivalent of the “waynes world” style of people broadcasting from their basement to the city they live on some local access tv station.  

all of it is a form of social media and you all are influencers in some form.  the appeal is the unfiltered real talk you get. 

33 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

You are a social media influencer.  Id say message board are the modern equivalent of HAM radio chat.  Streamers are the modern equivalent of the “waynes world” style of people broadcasting from their basement to the city they live on some local access tv station.  

all of it is a form of social media and you all are influencers in some form.  the appeal is the unfiltered real talk you get. 

sweet. well im gonna be a badass influencer.

fetch me a beer will ya?

3 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

They exist to push products from companies. Staying at a resort for free and promoting it is one example 

This.  They get a lot of followers because they’re good looking usually, so other people like looking at them.  As a result companies pay them to wear/use their products so they can pose with them in pictures.

Seems that their influence only extends to a group of people that are young, mostly dumb and willing to do what is deemed to be cool and currently hot?

Honest answer, since Fricker got all butt hurt by the responses.

I guess I'm just too old to be influenced by someone on social media.   So I can't say I have one.  

13 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Those chicks that model bikinis influence me. 

Yeah.  I immediately think of Instagram hotties that post T&A pics.  Paige Spiranac comes to mind.  A decent single capper, but would be nothing on Instagram without her bountiful bosom. 

21 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Yeah. All the travel "influencers" I used to follow are sh!t now. They started off doing travel on a budget or mid range types. Now it's all them staying in baller resorts they don't have to pay for.

21 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Social Media sucks.

It has it's pro's but it is definitely a net negative.  

22 hours ago, fricker66 said:

My kids are always talking about various influencers.  Who is your favorite influencer and why?  TIA.

We are the wrong target audience to discuss this. For example I only go to facebook to post pictures of kids and fish. I only use twitter to post pictures that i can then link to this forum. I have never been to instagram. I do not follow anyone on youtube and only use it to watch instructional videos for house repairs, etc.

I know what an influencer is, but i do not know any.