Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

2021 **Golf Talk** thread

Let's get it going.  Played 14 yesterday. 3 pars and a bunch of trash. Not a single good drive. Only played with 4 clubs and forgot my putter, so I had to borrow one on each green. It's January, so who cares. 

Played the other day.  Afterward we were talking and figured Sunday marked at least 23 consecutive months of at least one round of golf for us here in western CT.  Might be unheard of for this area.....then again....maybe not

24 minutes ago, BufordT said:

Played the other day.  Afterward we were talking and figured Sunday marked at least 23 consecutive months of at least one round of golf for us here in western CT.  Might be unheard of for this area.....then again....maybe not

December ruined 2020 for 18 holes for me.  I had done it in every other month and only got a few 9s in.  I did buy a house on a golf course in December though. So there's that.:headbanger:

29 minutes ago, BufordT said:

Impressive.  I am in the midst of a long business Zoom or I would have joined some friends who are playing today.  48 degrees here, which is a little below my preference anyhow, so I'm not upset.

Starting a little golf fever.  Usually full blown by groundhogs day.

But Ill check back sometime in mid March

On 1/14/2021 at 3:24 PM, BufordT said:

Stupid post.  This streak will end this month unless a major thaw is on the way.

Went to Drive Shack when visiting some friends last week.  Its was better than I thought.  It was definitely entertaining enough for golfers/non golfers to enjoy.  For non golfers though, you have to be able to carry the ball 100 yds to make it competitive/interesting. 

Played in my league last night. I had been playing pretty well the last few weeks.

9 holes, shot a 39 with 1 lost ball. 6 pars.  15+ mph winds.  Won closest to the pin on a 175 yard up hill par 3 and won 1st place, with +3 quota :headbanger:

Hit my best 3, 3 woods of my life, all in the same round. 

I got on both par 3s with my tee shot - https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/capeanngc/detailedscorecard.htm

Ive played several times this year.  Great spring we have had.  

Played last night after work.    Dribbled the first drive about 50 yards and left under a pine tree.  Thought here we go. Proceeded to blast a low 3 iron way down the fairway and made 4.  Ended up shooting 2 over.  Weird how that works.   Go from totally missing it on the first swing to playing my best 9 holes of the season.  

Are ya'll proud of me for not starting a new thread and searching for this one? :wub:

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Are ya'll proud of me for not starting a new thread and searching for this one? :wub:

Yay!  Played 4 times this month including my new home course.  Very rusty, BUT I did a first for me last round, 4 pars on the par 3's. I know ratsass, but I consider it a silver lining on the round.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Yay!  Played 4 times this month including my new home course.  Very rusty, BUT I did a first for me last round, 4 pars on the par 3's. I know ratsass, but I consider it a silver lining on the round.

My "home course" is undergoing and has already had major changes to it.  Added like 15 green side bunkers and maybe 6 fairway bunkers

What does everyone have in the bag? I am looking to possibly replace my irons this year (6-PW, I use hybrids for 5 iron and up equivalent). I am currently still hitting my Ping Zing 2's that I bought in 1995 and still love them, but feel like I may be lagging 100 years when it comes to the new tech. 

48 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

What does everyone have in the bag? I am looking to possibly replace my irons this year (6-PW, I use hybrids for 5 iron and up equivalent). I am currently still hitting my Ping Zing 2's that I bought in 1995 and still love them, but feel like I may be lagging 100 years when it comes to the new tech. 

Just (a month ago) got a new (used) set of irons - 4 thru pw and a driver (used)   Can't tell they were ever used, they look brand new.

TaylorMade M2 Tour Iron Set 4-GW True Temper XP 95 R300 Steel Regular Right Handed 37.75in

TaylorMade M6 D-Type Driver 10.5° Project X Even Flow Max 45 Graphite Regular Right Handed 45.5in

On 1/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, fricker66 said:

Impressive.  I am in the midst of a long business Zoom 

Don't forget to put your mask on during the call.

11 minutes ago, edjr said:

Just (a month ago) got a new (used) set of irons - 4 thru pw and a driver (used)   Can't tell they were ever used, they look brand new.

TaylorMade M2 Tour Iron Set 4-GW True Temper XP 95 R300 Steel Regular Right Handed 37.75in

TaylorMade M6 D-Type Driver 10.5° Project X Even Flow Max 45 Graphite Regular Right Handed 45.5in

How old were your previous irons? If they were older can you tell a difference in technology? More distance or more forgiving?

I upgraded my D, 3W, 5W in January to the original TM SIM and I am kicking myself for not upgrading sooner. I am guessing irons would be the same, but I hit the ZING 2's fine.

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

How old were your previous irons? If they were older can you tell a difference in technology? More distance or more forgiving?

I upgraded my D, 3W, 5W in January to the original TM SIM and I am kicking myself for not upgrading sooner. I am guessing irons would be the same, but I hit the ZING 2's fine.

at least 10 years old.  Nah, I can't really tell the difference. I'm just a hacker

19 minutes ago, edjr said:

at least 10 years old.  Nah, I can't really tell the difference. I'm just a hacker

I may just stick with what I have. I just redid all of them with  THESE and I am impressed so far. I won't pay what a shop wants to regrip clubs and doing it yourself is a major pain in the asss. 

I only got new clubs, because a few rounds ago, I broke half my set, threw my cleats in the woods, even broke my driver.  since then I have been playing well :dunno:

(I drank too much)

13 minutes ago, edjr said:

I only got new clubs, because a few rounds ago, I broke half my set, threw my cleats in the woods, even broke my driver.  since then I have been playing well :dunno:

(I drank too much)

They have a Dollar Drive Club similar to the Dollar Shave Club. Monthly fee and swap out drivers all you want. If it was for all clubs I would join today, but I only use my driver 1 or 2 times per round because I can hit the 3W just as far and much straighter. 

First time swinging a club today.  65 party sunny.  Took 2 clubs up to the course.  Threw 4 balls down in the rough and proceeded to absolutely flush 3 in a row.  Probably the best 7 irons ill hit all year.  Of course once a little loose and not swinging care free I slice the 4th right.   

Didn't play play just hit some balls and walked around.  I will play 9 on friday.  

On 4/29/2021 at 8:54 AM, edjr said:

(I drank too much)

based on how calm you are during Edex events, I can't imagine this :mellow:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

:first:

My goal this year is to improve the short game. I have switched from a conventional putting grip to a left hand low grip. I have only played once this year, but I think it is going to pay off. 

8 hours ago, bostonlager said:

My goal this year is to improve the short game. I have switched from a conventional putting grip to a left hand low grip. I have only played once this year, but I think it is going to pay off. 

I have sadly developed the yips over thr past 4 years.  I used to be an excellent putter.  The best part of my game.  For whatever reason everything changed one season.  I can still lag putt well but from 4 to 6 feet forget it.  And knowing you can't clean up around the hole changes the way I putt from 20 feet.  And has created less makes in that range for fear of being too aggressive and having a 5 foot come back putt.  

I have had the orginal white hot #2 for like 20 years now or something.  It isn't the putter, but I am going to collect a few random putters of different shapes for something different to look at.  

Yips suck.  

Wife got me a nice Scotty Cameron putter for Christmas a few years ago.  The ball comes off the face of that putter harder than any other putter I e ever used.  It very weird to me how much softer I need to roll the ball with it.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

I have sadly developed the yips over thr past 4 years.  I used to be an excellent putter.  The best part of my game.  For whatever reason everything changed one season.  I can still lag putt well but from 4 to 6 feet forget it.  And knowing you can't clean up around the hole changes the way I putt from 20 feet.  And has created less makes in that range for fear of being too aggressive and having a 5 foot come back putt.  

I have had the orginal white hot #2 for like 20 years now or something.  It isn't the putter, but I am going to collect a few random putters of different shapes for something different to look at.  

Yips suck.  

Try the left hand low/cross hand technique if you have always used a conventional grip. Its uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it. I was putting on my carpet 10 minutes a day for a couple weeks and by the time I played the first time this year, it already felt natural. 

13 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

:lol: 🖕

14 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

First time swinging a club today.  65 party sunny.  Took 2 clubs up to the course.  Threw 4 balls down in the rough and proceeded to absolutely flush 3 in a row.  Probably the best 7 irons ill hit all year.  Of course once a little loose and not swinging care free I slice the 4th right.   

Didn't play play just hit some balls and walked around.  I will play 9 on friday.  

Playing Friday at 3:30, leaving work (home) a little early to play 9. Going to be 70!!

I am going for a trip to Florida the 28th for a week. Last time I played (November) I was consistently hitting my drives 185 :(  

Typically hit it 225ish.  I am thinking maybe it was the balls? Driver maybe?  It was 70 and not muggy out, it wasn't the air.

I think I am going to go hit some drivers this weekend.

10 minutes ago, edjr said:

I am going for a trip to Florida the 28th for a week. Last time I played (November) I was consistently hitting my drives 185 :(  

Typically hit it 225ish.  I am thinking maybe it was the balls? Driver maybe?  It was 70 and not muggy out, it wasn't the air.

I think I am going to go hit some drivers this weekend.

2 rounds ago averaged 235ish, all in fairway or just off. Last round I am not sure I hit a fairway and +/-200. Fockin game. Night before bourbon didn't help.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

2 rounds ago averaged 235ish, all in fairway or just off. Last round I am not sure I hit a fairway and +/-200. Fockin game. Night before bourbon didn't help.

I mean, I guess it's possible I swing different, I do suck after all

42. Driver was in mid season form, lag putting was not. 1 birdie , 2 pars. 

Went to PGA Superstore last night and took the new Cobra LTDx for a rip,

I suck just as much as my current driver. I'm good. 

43 yesterday.  Had a 7 on a par 4.  Chipping was an issue.  Chili dipping into the soft turf. 

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

43 yesterday.  Had a 7 on a par 4.  Chipping was an issue.  Chili dipping into the soft turf. 

so you got a 36 in 8 holes? that's basically par.  Bullocks

20 minutes ago, edjr said:

so you got a 36 in 8 holes? that's basically par.  Bullocks

It is not basically par lol

6 hours ago, edjr said:

Went to PGA Superstore last night and took the new Cobra LTDx for a rip,

I suck just as much as my current driver. I'm good. 

Did you try different shafts? Getting fit for the proper shaft if more important than the club head.