Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Bathroom Remodel... GC or? ***UPDATED***

We want to remodel the master bathroom. 

Pull out the tub, and separate shower stall, make one big walkin tiled shower with two heads type of thing.

Maybe something like this:

https://www.jmwoodworks.com/wp-content/jmsiteuploads/Big-Canon-8-3595622075-O.jpg

Guys with experience, ia it better to hire a general contractor, and let him wrangle the plumber, tile guy, glass guy, electrician?  Or... does a guy do it himself?

A friend suggested bring the tile guy in first, he'll give you a good idea of what he needs and how the timeline should go.

What do you think?

3 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

We want to remodel the master bathroom. 

Pull out the tub, and separate shower stall, make one big walkin tiled shower with two heads type of thing.

Maybe something like this:

https://www.jmwoodworks.com/wp-content/jmsiteuploads/Big-Canon-8-3595622075-O.jpg

Guys with experience, ia it better to hire a general contractor, and let him wrangle the plumber, tile guy, glass guy, electrician?  Or... does a guy do it himself?

A friend suggested bring the tile guy in first, he'll give you a good idea of what he needs and how the timeline should go.

What do you think?

Gc

10 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

How much do you want to do yourself?

Any of the demolition/easy stuff?

Yeah I think removing the shower stall etc is pretty easy.. old tile removal no problem.   Theres a little wall I can remove...  finish work.. no way.  I can remove the tub etc... but want to make sure I don't jack up the current plumbing that works.

6 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

I thought you were moving?  

Something changed yesterday... I'll update things after work.

3 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Something changed yesterday... I'll update things after work.

White supremacists? 

18 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Being your own GC doesn't mean you do any of the work.  I would do demo and sub out the rest.

Right... I meant wrangling the other guys (professionals) instead of hiring a guy to do it.

It would probably be cheaper to higher each person independently, however it will be more work.

Unless you're really knowledgeable, I'd suggest hiring a GC to take care of it.  Pull permits, get inspections, schedule and manage the job.  Do it right. 

Or try to save money and spend all your time chasing laborers and redoing work that wasn't done correctly the first time. 

The tile guy is only part of the equation.  At minimum you'll need a licensed plumber.  You might also need an electrician and/or someone who knows framing/drywall and paint. 

Ten years ago I’d do some of the stuff (demo, tile...) myself to save money, but not today. That’ll be your decision. 
I have contacts in most of the trades, so I would act as the GC and hire out the individual sub contractors. You’ll save the most money this way. 
If you don’t know any contractors, you may want to start with a plumber (not a plumbing company) and they would know everyone you would need, and probably know if they were good or not. 
Also, get a quote, then if you have it, ask them what their cash price is. You can usually save 10-25% paying cash. 

• Like 1

You could fit a whole party in that sucker.  :banana:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

It would probably be cheaper to higher each person independently, however it will be more work.

And prob take longer.  Subs are willing take on work from a consistent GC over a homeowner.  You can end up calling and calling and calling asking where you're plumber or tile guy is while he's taking jobs from a GC. 

***UPDATE***

Alrighty boys... got it done.

Before:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au8LbRN8WNawmCckqffQVBlAT7ta

After:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au8LbRN8WNawmCbOT5QR4fcGJXi9

I did all the demo myself... Super pain in the ass but got it done.  Doing demo in your mid 40's is WAY more tiring at the end of the day.  Went to bed feeling 80 for a couple weeks.  Ended up breaking a pipe when I took out the old vanity as the builders put the previous pipes in an elbow from the floor into the wall instead of actually going into the wall.

Paid for the whole bathroom to be replumbed with new pipes.  Replaced about 20 feet of insulated ductwork under the bathroom.  Had to rip out the drywall about half way up the wall where the vanity was as apparently there was a mouse problem sometime back so I reinsulated it all.  New drywall... Mud tape guy was excellent..  new ceiling above the shower.  

Glass was pretty spendy... But they did a good job.  Plumber was excellent.

Frickin faucets and shower heads, valves, and trim.. hollleeeee sh!t they are proud of that sh!t. 

All in all cost about 3k more than I was hoping but we really dig it. 👍

I ended up hiring a plumber, drywall guy, tile guy, and glass guy.  I did demo and floors.

The glass guy was from the company itself... The other 3 were professionals that were doing after hours gigs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

LVP (luxery vinyl panel)... Waterproof.

Can you give a better up close pic of it?  You buy it local?  How does it transition to neighboring flooring or carpet? That's actually kinda the look I'm going for when I do one of my baths, and obviously laminate is out. 

14 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Can you give a better up close pic of it?  You buy it local?  How does it transition to neighboring flooring or carpet? That's actually kinda the look I'm going for when I do one of my baths, and obviously laminate is out. 

I just got it at Lumber Liquidators... It's middle of the road stuff.  You can use several different transitions.  I'm waiting on an order to get mine for that room.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au8LbRN8WNawmChg_8pPDiTwJem9

Now if you are look for THE sh!t.. in our kitchen/front room we put in Shaw Titan LVP... I LOVE that floor.  Here's the transition from the LVP into the living room.  That's a really deep 90 oz carpet.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au8LbRN8WNawmCnZEE_GftNXdtMP

My Dad has a flooring store.  He put that Shaw Titan in his house.... Says everyone absolutely loves it.  High end stuff.  You could dump a glass of water on the floor and just leave it there... It does nothing.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Old School said:

Damn- that’s a big change. Looks really good!

13 hours ago, The PosterFormerlyKnownAs said:

Congrats -  look amazing!!

Thanks guys... We're really happy how it turned out.  I was a giant ball of stress the whole time trying to work with these craftsman's timelines.  We really dig the results though. 👍

• Like 1

The after pic would look way cooler with a clown staring in the bathtub window.   Spare no expense next time.