JustinCharge

Were you ever a regular at a bar?

Back before modern times when we could go out and stuff, were you ever a regular at a bar?  Like get off work and head there instead of home?

Sort of. When I traveled a lot for work I became a regular at a honky-tonk in Texas. I spent a lot of money there buying drinks for the guys who worked my program. I went there every night. The owner knew me by name and I often closed the bar and helped close up by counting money.

When they had money troubles they offered me a stake in the bar, but I declined.

9 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Sort of. When I traveled a lot for work I became a regular at a honky-tonk in Texas. I spent a lot of money there buying drinks for the guys who worked my program. I went there every night. The owner knew me by name and I often closed the bar and helped close up by counting money.

When they had money troubles they offered me a stake in the bar, but I declined.

mmmmm steak!

YES, I went to a bar at least once a week (had to fill out football picks), the bartender knew me and when she'd give me change for what I'd order a "few" of times there'd be a "reward" included in her hand, something to toke on.....................................................the good ol' days before president Chump EFFED EVERYTHING up-"the virus will go away when the weather get's better".............................................

Yes to much many years back and just not one bar. After I cut down going I was still in pool league twice a week. I don't think once a week is that bad though. Haven't been to one in ages even before covid though. I do miss Pool night cause I was good and enjoyed trivia night and miss it.

• Like 1

Semi. Neighborhood bar, walking distance from my house,  so if course I am there a 1-2 times a week for a couple, just like any sane man would be. Have friends who are there much more than that.

Still am.  430 to 6 most nights.  I don't get trashed but will have two or three.  Sit down and they bring me my drink.  Never have to ask.   I know almost everyone there.  I use that time to bulllshit with people and destress after work.

26 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Semi. Neighborhood bar, walking distance from my house,  so if course I am there a 1-2 times a week for a couple, just like any sane man would be. Have friends who are there much more than that.

Same but I worked nights so my whole family was asleep so why not stop by as it was right there and good friends hanging out. My message to my kids was do not wake me until 11:11. 

3 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Still am.  430 to 6 most nights.  I don't get trashed but will have two or three.  Sit down and they bring me my drink.  Never have to ask.   I know almost everyone there.  I use that time to bulllshit with people and destress after work.

I would but Covid screwed my local. Except my kids work there and get unemployment so it’s all good - we drink at home

8 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I spent a lot of money there buying drinks

Funny, there are nights when Ihave had 7-8 and not paid for any. Others when I have dropped $20 and only had 1. That is the beauty of it. Everyone there buys 4-5 at a time. 

46 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Funny, there are nights when Ihave had 7-8 and not paid for any. Others when I have dropped $20 and only had 1. That is the beauty of it. Everyone there buys 4-5 at a time. 

Same, but I always made sure to have at least one night where I took care of the whole tab.

The best thing about honky tonks is they are pretty cheap

Once a week or so id hit a local cigar bar.  The waitresses knew my name and what kind of beer I preferred. They would always tell me what new stuff they got in.  

Yes. My wife and I took an extended vacation from work for about a year. We'd go to this place for lunch during the week. Most of the time the bartender would see us pull into the parking lot and our drinks would be sitting on the bar when we walked in. Always sat in the same seats. Other regulars knew not to sit there if they got there before us. 

Then we went back to work and started going on Saturdays. Same story, although the bartender was busier so sometimes we'd actually make it to our seats before our drinks were served.  

yes, but only for a year or so because I played a lot of pool tournaments 

Kind of. Was a regular for Bears games. We had a fan club for a while and had food every game. That bar has closed and now I stop by the new brewery about once a week for a couple beers or to bring some home. 

I once fake owned a fake bar. I miss those days :(

Whenever this sh1t is over, bars are going to be wall to wall for a while

In San Antonio I was. Had a place across from my apartment called The Flying Saucer and they had a ton of beers on tap. Could get your name on a plate and put on the wall if you drank so many different brands. Never got mine put up. Place was awesome. Could just walk across the street to it. Then when I left, the best taco truck in SA was one block down the road so I’d walk there and grab tacos and a Mexican coke after drinking. Taco truck was open til 3am cause bars closed at 2

Neighborhood bars from my younger days.  In high school we would frequent a tiki bar.  Tradr Sam

Within a short radius, several Irish and English bars/pubs. 

After college we would go to an Irish sports bar every sunday to watch games at Pat O'Shea's

7 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

In San Antonio I was. Had a place across from my apartment called The Flying Saucer and they had a ton of beers on tap. Could get your name on a plate and put on the wall if you drank so many different brands. Never got mine put up. Place was awesome. Could just walk across the street to it. Then when I left, the best taco truck in SA was one block down the road so I’d walk there and grab tacos and a Mexican coke after drinking. Taco truck was open til 3am cause bars closed at 2

We had one of those here in my city, but they closed after a while. If you drank one of the every 30 beers on tap, you got a plaque on the wall.

8 minutes ago, edjr said:

We had one of those here in my city, but they closed after a while. If you drank one of the every 30 beers on tap, you got a plaque on the wall.

There is a chain called Old Chicago that's pretty prominent here in CO that does this, although they have 110 different beers.  You earn little rewards along the way to 110 but if you get to 110 you get your name on the wall.  I may have a couple of plaques on the wall at one of these places.....

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

They had different ones at the place in SA. Some guys had tried over 200 different beers and had a plate on the wall. 
I miss that apartment cause I literally had that, a movie theater, best place in SA to get your haircut at this place called Diesel (gave you a free beer, had old arcade games, movie posters on the wall, and Spike channel or ESPN on) across the street with HEB, target, and Starbucks half a block down the road the other way. Food truck meet up place 5 minutes from there. When I met me wife she loved my place so much she stopped staying at hers and then eventually moved in a few months after we started dating 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

There is a chain called Old Chicago that's pretty prominent here in CO that does this, although they have 110 different beers.  You earn little rewards along the way to 110 but if you get to 110 you get your name on the wall.  I may have a couple of plaques on the wall at one of these places.....

Doesn’t old Chicago also serve food? Swear I’ve been to one and had their pizza which was pretty good 

Just now, Strike said:

yep.  the one in dillon was pretty close to us

Just now, Djgb13 said:

Doesn’t old Chicago also serve food? Swear I’ve been to one and had their pizza which was pretty good 

Yes, they serve Italian food.

Just now, Strike said:

Yes, they serve Italian food.

Thought I had been to one. Went to it in Nebraska years ago. Wife and her family likes the place a lot 

I misread the title, I thought it said "were you ever at a regular bar" :doh:

1 hour ago, BufordT said:

Local VFW's and American Legions is about it.

Sadly both have closed in my town.  Still a SAL member of the legion club.  

I was, in fact the bar I met wiff actually named an appetizer after me.  Haven’t been there in years though