Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Buried or cremation?

Whatever is cheapest and easiest on my family.  I've always said I prefer to be cremated but I don't really care.

I'd like to be left alone after I die.  Nothing at all done to my body.  Wrap me in burlap and bury me under a tree on my property.  I'm sure that's not legal but that would be my desire.

4 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I'd like to be left alone after I die.  Nothing at all done to my body.  Wrap me in burlap and bury me under a tree on my property.  I'm sure that's not legal but that would be my desire.

I buried a chicken that died.  My freaking dog dug it up the next day - 3 feet deep in a cardboard box in a plastic bag over 100 yards from the house.

That’s a bad beat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I buried a chicken that died.  My freaking dog dug it up the next day - 3 feet deep in a cardboard box in a plastic bag over 100 yards from the house.

That’s a bad beat.

Must of been a very special chicken. Sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

That’s a bad beat.

I had that issue with coyotes with one of our buried dogs(although they didn't quite get her out) so I tried the old Cool Hand Luke trick and put black pepper(I also used cayenne pepper) down around the grave and never had another problem.

29 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

That’s a bad beat.

Boy, that would be hard on my daughter to wake up and have Fido dragging her dad's lifeless body across the lawn.

Maybe I'll just get buried normal.

• Haha 1

Cremation for sure. I wish I could be buried like a Viking. 

ETA,
Apparently, Vikings were never burned on boats, it's a Hollywood myth. Also, bodies won't really burn or cremate on boats. The flame is not hot nor long enough. Your body would just char and wash up on shore. It's illegal as well. And of course, I'm not a Viking. 

Everyone in my family has been buried.  I may be the first to be cremated as I'm leaning that way.  

I will say this, this whole "visitation" thing with the open casket always bothered me, I thought it was weird. However a friend of mind died of Leukemia two years ago and we didn't see each other for several months and after his diagnosis he was in the hospital with only family visiting and died very quickly.   This was the first time I understood the open casket.  Edwin looked different but many of his friends including myself were able to look at him and say goodbye.  The closure was real and hard to convey in words. I don't know exactly what I'm typing but that was the moment I understood the whole burial / open casket thing.  

10 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Cremated. No funeral. HUGE party in remembrance. 

Are we invited?

• Like 1

So you're dead, should we really care?

A burial to me is like the Wedding Reception compared to the Wedding.  The Wedding is for you and the bride (or groom for the geekettes).   The Reception is for your family and friends to celebrate the moment in time.  

Seeing the body means something, there IS closure there, one last goodbye whilst laying eyes on you.  There is something to be said for that.  At that point it's not about you anymore, but comforting your loved ones.  

ETA:  I started this out sorta kinda devils advocate as I have been on board with cremation for a while, but I may have talked myself out it.  Being cremated is selfish, you are denying the right for your loved ones to mourn properly and therefore have closure.  I know this sounds counter-intuitive but I think I'm right.  

How many animals have you selfish bastards eaten in your lifetimes?  Upon death, it's time to give back to nature. 

I will be naturally buried in my beautiful state of Florida. In the Prairie Creek Conservation Cemetery.   https://www.prairiecreekconservationcemetery.org/

No embalming, no ashes, no casket...  just buried in the forest and watch an oak tree grow where I lay.  I understand they put a gps device in so you can be located if anyone ever visits.  It's also really cheap so no burden there. As an outdoors-man and 5th generation Floridian, this is where I belong.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

How many animals have you selfish bastards eaten in your lifetimes?  Upon death, it's time to give back to nature. 

I'll rub one out in a carefully dug hole and lightly place an oak tree seed in my essence in your honor. Let me know ahead of time so I can hydrate. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I will say this, this whole "visitation" thing with the open casket always bothered me, I thought it was weird. 

Thank You!

9 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

I'll rub one out in a carefully dug hole and lightly place an oak tree seed in my essence in your honor. Let me know ahead of time so I can hydrate. 

You are one deeply disturbed individual.

I respect that!

On 1/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, GobbleDog said:

I will be naturally buried in my beautiful state of Florida. In the Prairie Creek Conservation Cemetery.   https://www.prairiecreekconservationcemetery.org/

No embalming, no ashes, no casket...  just buried in the forest and watch an oak tree grow where I lay.  I understand they put a gps device in so you can be located if anyone ever visits.  It's also really cheap so no burden there. As an outdoors-man and 5th generation Floridian, this is where I belong.

Hey, this sounds awesome. :thumbsup:

On 1/20/2021 at 8:07 AM, peenie said:

Cremation for sure. I wish I could be buried like a Viking. 

ETA,
Apparently, Vikings were never burned on boats, it's a Hollywood myth. Also, bodies won't really burn or cremate on boats. The flame is not hot nor long enough. Your body would just char and wash up on shore. It's illegal as well. And of course, I'm not a Viking. 

Cultural appropriation! 

I want the Philadelphia Eagles to be my pallbearers so they can let me down one last time. :( 

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:34 PM, GobbleDog said:

This sounds like a serial killer's dream body dump site.  Hmmmm... Dexter is from FL. 🤔

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DonS said:

This sounds like a serial killer's dream body dump site.  Hmmmm... Dexter is from FL. 🤔

That's not a bad story line...

On 1/19/2021 at 9:34 PM, GobbleDog said:

I'm in Florida too. I'm going to have to look into this. 

21 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

I bury it in your mom and cream her.

N/A for guys like us anyway; we're destined to be turned into a pink most on the civil war battlefield when the leftist hit our lines with the MOAB.